Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Only one card in today's mail, but I don't think you guys will mind:

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Bump due to the deleted posts (trying to get the new page to actually show)
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>I got this in the mail - nonsport of course - it's from Uncle Sam - he's paying me back. I woulda taken
    cash? image

It's a participation pin of sorts - this pin takes me from age 18 to 51!

mike >>

Stone! Congratulations on the acknowledgement of your service! image

I'm not familiar with what it signifies. Could you PM me with more details, or post it here??

Thanks! And you deserve some cash, too! The State of Minnesota sent me about $120 while I was still stationed in Thailand in 1974. That was my "Thanks!" for doing Viet Nam-era service...

• Options

<< <i>Hoof-

That looks to be a fantastic 7-11 Kirby! Were these cards distributed in complete set form? I seem to remember hustling down the 7-11s and picking these cards up one at a time. The clerks would occasionally give me several, but I don't ever remember seeing complete sets available.

I had a Puckett that looked nice, but sadly the printing on the back was so badly smeared it would make a Molitor/Trammell smudge look like a minor printing imperfection. >>

sagard,

Hey! I'd appreciate any additional info on this set. I was living in Fairmont, MN at the time and there was no 7-11 within 50 miles of us. Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Nice '63 Aaron! 7 seems a bit tough on that.

• Options
    There's a scratch of some sort along the top border, over toward the right hand side. It looks worse from some angles than others. I think that's what knocked it down.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, it's been a while:

• Options
    I've decided to make a go at the 1930 Wills Famous Golfers set. First raw, then have them graded. I thought this was going to be a great addition (possibly 8?) until I got it today. Yes, those are markings in the corners from where it was kept in an album. And no, I'm not happy about it.

Another Churchman Walter Hagen. image

schr1st, I love that Aaron image

Arthur
  • Options
    Dogfood again tonight! image
  • Options
    Okay...that is a sweet Cobb image
  • Options
    i love the MAYS and the COBB card i will soon post some pics of my own!!! i am specializing in t-205's and other hard to get sets and i am doing it all on only $100 a month i would say i am doing great thus far.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Fdny- I have always wanted a Cobb, I personally prefer the bat off shoulder, That is a nice red portrait. Was it an E-bay purchase ?
    I Also noticed the sweet 52 bowman Mantle you have listed.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

Another wierd dude with a big head and tiny feet, ehh Arthur?!

matt
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Another Grant Fuhr PSA 10 to add to my collection. He's on the brink of being added to the psa registry.. can't wait to add them. I only need his '84, '86, and '89's as well as stickers and odd ball stuff. image

• Options
    Matt, if you'll look closely you'll see that Mr. Hagen doesn't, in fact, have feet. They were lost in a tragic cheese gating accident as a kid. His story truly is one of perseverance and overcoming all odds. image

GREAT mail day today. I picked up another Braddock RC and had my first excellent raw experience with these golf/boxing cards off eBay. A beautiful 1936 Mitchell & Sons "Gallery of 1935" Joe Louis card (his RC card is '35). I think it has a good shot at an 8. There is a very small nick on the bottom right corner and the centering is a little off but the other 3 corners are razor sharp and the surface has absolutely no scratches or imperfections. The back is clean too. With none of these graded higher than 8 I think this may make a stunning addition to my collection.

Now I just need a pre-war special in November image

1935 Pattreiouex Jimmy Braddock RC

The 1936 Mitchell Joe Louis image

Arthur
  • Options
    love these low grade examples..

damn impulse buy

• Options
    schr1st...trying to do a auto HOF rookie card collection? If so, good luck...because that is a very large task.
  • Options
    Great stuff, as usual, fellas!

From last sub. Just arrived tonight!

Some had requested, so . . .

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx NJ

The card is a screamer! Beautiful.

I had sent one in and got a 9 and was happy - a 10 and I fall off the chair!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MeatHook, that's a sweet Bob Bonner RC image

Arthur
  • Options
  • Options
    WOW ! Nice Bob Bonner Rookie NJ !
    Dang Arthur, Beat me to it !

• Options
    How come no-one said nice Jeff Schneider rc? Wheres the love? image
  • Options
    Jeff who ? Never heard of him, I think that Ripken guy was decent though.

• Options

<< <i>Jeff who ? Never heard of him, I think that Ripken guy was decent though. >>

You know, Schneider from "One day at time"

• Options
    The fix-it guy? He was a player!
  • Options
    Never realized Schneider was 30 years old and an Orioles "future star".

What, in beer league softball?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I don't have the cards yet, but I won two more Willie Mays cards this week. They were #1 and #2 on my want list, and I'm very happy with the price I paid. Hopefully the cards live up to my expectations.

(I'll post scans next week...I'm just excited about the wins and had to share!)
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>love these low grade examples..

>>

Wow. That's a *great* looking PSA 1. Does it have some paper loss on the back?

I'll add a Jennings to my collection someday. The picture on your T-206 is the same one used on nearly all of his cards, and I'm not particularly fond of it...so I'll need to look for one I'm happy with.

FYI, the reason I want a Jennings card or two is that he went to the same law school that I did. He played ball in the summer and went to school in the winter.
  • Options
    i know this one will mean very little to most of you but i have been looking for this Newman for about 2 years and i finally got it. i ended up having to buy the whole team set but, what ya going to do. 78 Al Newmans down, 13 to go.
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    Just need the NNO version to complete. Then, the Upgrade Safari begins.

• Options

<< <i>Wow. That's a *great* looking PSA 1. Does it have some paper loss on the back? >>

yep. i'm not too sensitive to paperloss. I'm in it more for the centering, corners and overall presentation.

good luck with acquiring a jennings. he has plenty of cards to choose from. his hands up and portrait poses are most common.
  • Options
    AWESOME Newman!

From last sub:

• Options
    Another great card Rick!
    Congrats

Matt
  • Options
    A bit of history card

1936 Reemstma cigarette, Der Fuhrer Olympia 1936 - band 2

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    The new Giants Manager!

• Options
    Haven't posted here for a while. My latest arrivals...

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sweet Esposito!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Last nites win, the album that was available via mail in offer with '15 Cracker Jacks:

which upgrades the old one

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Wow Anthony

That's quite an improvement!

Congratulations.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

MajorD

Nice card! And notice the similarity in the artwork between the T3 and T206 set. I think we have brought this up before?

I have to say - the T3s do take up more space tho.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    PD

Once again, some sweet cards! I especially like the Espo card.

Thanx again for the hockey contributions.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    those are some great hockey cards!!!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    From last sub:

• Options
    Thank you MeatHook, now I know what a 10 in '86 Topps looks like. Not that I'll get one image

Arthur

PS. GREAT Hockey!
  • Options
    Those '86s are tough, Arthur. Had I known, I would not have submitted as many.
  • Options
    Esposito stacking the pads is a great shot!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mariner .... again !!!!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    More boxing and golf. Hey, someone here has to stand up for the red-headed stepchildren of sports cards. image

The Hagen is the big one for my '30 Wills Famous Golfers set. I had another one but it had some staining issues and would've come back somewhere in the 2 - 3 range. I'm banking on a 5 for this one and hoping for a 6. I'm sure I'll upgrade this one down the line but for now this will do until the set is complete.

The Louis is in rough shape but I really love these Cummins & Son Famous Boxers with their bright red background. I couldn't pass it up for the price I got it at.

1930 Wills Famous Golfers Walter Hagen

1947 Cummins & Son Famous Boxers Joe Louis

Arthur