Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Arny, do you bust a lot of pax and submit or pick them up on the bay? Or both? image >>

Very rarely do I submit my own. Especially with the '85s. Just jump over to the '85 Topps Football thread and read up on the stories of cards that looked great coming back as 8s. So, I just wait to see the 9s pop up and pick them up at affordable prices. Now that I've crossed the 50% mark, it's getting harder and harder to find 'affordable' 9s though. But, it's a great set with very good investment potential (IMO).

Thanks for the good luck wishes....we'll need 'em! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TB

Those Kelloggs are the best!

Arny and Sting

So where are you guys in the set? I don't know it. How many cards?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Arny and Sting

So where are you guys in the set? I don't know it. How many cards? >>

I'm sitting in 6th finest with nearly 53% complete. All 9s aside from the one PSA 10 that I got recently. Here's the link to the set registry... 1985 Topps Football Set Registry ...and here's the link to the thread that we discuss things on ... '85 Topps Football Thread .

The set has 396 cards, black borders, 2nd year cards of Marino & Elway, rookie cards of Richard Dent & Warren Moon (a few other rookie cards like Mark Clayton, Irving Fryar & Mike Munchak) and tough cards of a lot of players.... especially "Sweetness" Walter Payton. Just a beautiful set with a couple of decent subsets within it and very good player selection throughout. I advise everyone to jump on it if you are a football fan and a sportscard fan.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to find a well-centered 7 for most of the year, finally got a nice one...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Congrats Mike! Nice Rose rookie!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TB

Those Kelloggs are the best!

Arny and Sting

So where are you guys in the set? I don't know it. How many cards?

mike >>

Just started this set so I am not even at 10%. But agree with Arny that this set has very good potential.
  • Options
    Mike: Great Rose Rookie card there!

Here are a few I just got back from PSA:

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    That's a great looking Duke... Why did you only get a 7?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Thanx Arnie and TB!

Kurt - where do you find those beauties! Great grades.

Mike - those a sweet Rose RC - and yes...great centering - eye appeal of off the chart! Congratulations.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks men.

Kurt: those are some razor sharp cards there - were they raw or regrade/crossovers?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Today's mailday is a good description of my collecting tastes:

The Drysdale is pretty nice looking (much nicer than the scan). I may see if I can get the card graded as well (it should be a 6).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Guess there are some deleted posts preventing the new page from appearing.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Stown, Unfortunately the Duke has a stain on his crotch (I'm serious); otherwise I think he would have graded a 9.

Mike, I bought the Duke 7 years ago at a show in Atlanta (did not see the stain then); I paid way too much for the 59 Kill in a BVG 8.5 holder and just cracked it for PSA; the 2 mint cards I won raw recently on ebay.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    My collecting interests are all over the map. The wife thinks I have too many sets on the stove at once. Anyway, here are a few new additions ( some recently back from PSA and some from eBay ):

Nice stuff you all have been posting here recently! Keep 'em coming.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Sean

Very nice. I especially like the Drysdale! I don't think I have his auto?

Halo

Nice stuff - yes - very diversified - are you doing the 56 Adventure set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Stone,

Yes I'm building the 56 Adventure set. I'm now at 94% complete. Been at it for a while now. I tend to start a number of sets and then just pick up cards here and there for them when I can at the right price. With multiple sets on the burner I don;t feel obligated to pay crazy prices as another card will eventually show up and when dry spells for one set hits a waterfall hits on another image
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    As pumped as I am for the upcoming domination of the Yanks. These guys start Friday night!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    halo,
    that 500 club subset is a nice collection, good luck on that. Do you have the Ruth?
    Also, the PSA 9 on the American Beauty is a great grade, forget the OC. A 9 on a card over 60 years old is amazing.
  • Options
    Popped my nonsport vintage cherry about a week ago and now I've popped my sports vintage cherry. image

Can't wait to get this in a PSA slab (obviously it WON'T come back a 3). When it comes to that, do I have to crack the card or can I just send it in "as is" and they'll remove it and slab it themselves?

Arthur

Edited to add: The scan kind of sucks so in case you can't read it it's a 1910 T218 Champions - Prize Fighter Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Couple more:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Couple more:

imageimage >>

MOSI! Nice Tatupu Stingray. You're lucky I haven't started my Mosi Tatupu Master set yet otherwise you would have had some stiff competition for that. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Wow X, that's an awesome Jack Johnson. I'll def when my money is good start to add some of these boxing cards to my collection.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    would you mind saying or PM'ing me how much that Jack Johnson card cost? that is a really incredible looking card

Nice 85 football also there Stingray, I'm slowly working on the 84 fb and may go for the 85's after that
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Popped my nonsport vintage cherry about a week ago and now I've popped my sports vintage cherry. image

Can't wait to get this in a PSA slab (obviously it WON'T come back a 3). When it comes to that, do I have to crack the card or can I just send it in "as is" and they'll remove it and slab it themselves?

Arthur

Edited to add: The scan kind of sucks so in case you can't read it it's a 1910 T218 Champions - Prize Fighter Jack Johnson >>

Congratulations Arthur on your nonsport and vintage additions to your collection.

Mine is the T3 set - not really far completed but still a beauty.

I look forward to some of your future pickups.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Sting

As usual stunning additions to the set. Some of those black borders look like 10s!

rd

Superb exhibit - is the "B" on cap a lower pop card?

And here's an affordable Mantle up for sale...

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Popped my nonsport vintage cherry about a week ago and now I've popped my sports vintage cherry. image

Arthur

Edited to add: The scan kind of sucks so in case you can't read it it's a 1910 T218 Champions - Prize Fighter Jack Johnson >>

Congratulations Arthur on your nonsport and vintage additions to your collection.

Mine is the T3 set - not really far completed but still a beauty.

I look forward to some of your future pickups.
    mike >>

Thanks Mike. I haven't decided yet if I'll pursue the entire set but I just couldn't pass up a chance for a hundred-year-old card of a boxing legend for the price I did.

Arthur

PS. FYI Mike, I stole this thread idea for the nonsport forum. Hope you don't mind. I've always read this thread even before I registered in the forum and was curious to see what nonsport treasures everyone would post up.
  • Options

<< <i>PS. FYI Mike, I stole this thread idea for the nonsport forum. Hope you don't mind. I've always read this thread even before I registered in the forum and was curious to see what nonsport treasures everyone would post up. >>

Arthur

That forum was spearheaded by Lee aka Speeder I believe - he requested it from CU.

I was one of the first people to post there.

Mark aka Morrell, Steve aka Winpitcher e.g. post a lot back then.

I stopped because no one had interest in what I was collecting at the time.

I have a lot of one of kind items from the Toppsvault - but no one responded to my posts - so I stopped going over there.

I don't collect modern nonsport - I like the old movie star sets from England along with a lot of the original Topps art that are on the backs of the nonsport cards.

I'll go over and take a look.
    thanx for the info
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I don't collect modern nonsport - I like the old movie star sets from England along with a lot of the original Topps art that are on the backs of the nonsport cards.

I'll go over and take a look.
    thanx for the info
    mike >>

Couldn't agree more with you Mike. I guess you could say I recently got back into the hobby but I had no idea what I wanted to collect. That was until I discovered all the old English tobacco cards of cinema stars. Just bummed there were no Orson Welles issues.

[Thread hijack completed image]

Arthur
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that image of The Mick from Mike's postcard. I think Kit Young had it on the cover of his catalog about 15 years ago. Anyone know it's vintage? Just idle curiosity. With his pants legs and general youth, I'm thinking '55 or so.

Picked this lovely item (from the Cameo Cards eBay store) up at the post office Monday.

I've been really lazy and lax about scanning posting pics of stuff that I've picked up the last couple of months. I'll try to do better.
  • Options
    Wow. Talk about three stunning cards in a row. That's a tough act to follow.

Nice job guys.

Arthur

Just out of curiosity, any of those subs or were they all purchased after encapsulation?
  • Options
    Another:
  • Options
    I put this in as a separate topic, but I thought Knuckles deserves love in here too.

Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    GD

Your Banks is a beauty! Thanx for sharing.

RD

What can I say - an OPC Schmidt RC in 9? Off the chart! Thanx for posting it. You won't see many here - that's for sure.

HAC

Thanx for posting Knuckles handiwork here - sometimes I look at the pics - it's like a library.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

I'm not totally devoid of coin experience. A friend provided me with a few of these back around 1992.
    There was a reason this set was significant - but I don't remember why? Something to do with the alloy?

It says "Proof Set" on the sleeve - not for sure what that means - it's in a plastic holder...

My guess? After being entombed - these coins have not seen direct daylite, sunlite, moonlite, Israelite or any other kind of lite?

Does anyone collect proof sets? One thing fer sure, if I'm hard up and need to get a coke out of the vending machine - I know where to go. image

I found these buried in a box with some cards.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>GD

Your Banks is a beauty! Thanx for sharing. >>

It's my favorite Banks card and a nice upgrade over my raw, which is somewhere @ EX. To answer Arthur's question, it's post-encapsulation from me.

It's just one of those cool quirks of language but I find it quite funny to associate the word "debutant(e)" with Ron Cey and Mike Schmidt image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This must be one of the best pages to this thread. Great cards guys!! image
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

These will be heading off to PSA once i receive them.

1934 Gallaher Stars
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That silk is sweet, sagard!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>These will be heading off to PSA once i receive them.

1934 Gallaher Stars >>

HOW ... IN THE HELL ... DID THOSE PASS BY ME?!

That is an abomination. I search everyday on stupid eBay and I never came across that auction. That is hands-down the finest set I've seen of those and you should be proud. With condition that good my only concern is that they're not authentic but the seller looks good.

I hate you Carew. image

Arthur
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I've seen a couple of Ghallagher sets like that in the last year (probably three or so) in that condition. Are they not reprints? I mean, those things look better than pack fresh cards!

Congrats on those and good luck on the slabbin'! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I would agree. I dont collect them but they look too clean to be real.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    In today's mail...

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    The latest addition to my 64 Topps Giants collection.

• Options
    Here are some of what I got back. I think they graded fairly well considering they have been in 9 pocket pages for almost 20 years. Hopefully they bring me a few bucks to help fund cards I do not have. Raw is good enough for me so I will be grading all my duplicates. Is it best to eBay these or get about 100 graded cards together and dump them on a major auction house?

Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Just got this original 1969 Photo of Reds greats Ted Kluzewski, Tony Perez, and Lee May. Just really like the colors and candid nature of the photo. Big Klu sure does look big in this photo.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    I agree NY!

The Bench is sweet! Congratulations!
    mike
    Mike