Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    here's the last card I got in the pack I've opened.....guess you could say it's a little OC.....

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one of us will get a card that's so O/C that it'll have part of a T-206 Wagner on it?! image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I opened the rest. I got some nice cards to scan! Tomorrow as I have no time. I pulled a Nolan Ryan that has fisheyes all over it, two OC Yaz, one decent Perez. Thats it for stars but I have some sweet commons and a nice checklist. I also must have pulled the entire World Series subset in those 9 packs ....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love the pinch runner Herb Washington card. Check the customized (and very mediocre) stats.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I didn't get mine, either...image

How many didn't get there's as of Monday evening?
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting . . .

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I opened all six of mine. In addition to the ones pictured, I got a decent Killebrew, but it had a gum stain. I also got a Rose but it was o/c and the right edge was dinged.

Here they are. These six are going to PSA. I am not sure why the bottom left corner of the Torre shows up as white. I guess it is a scanner problem because there is no problem at all with that corner.

Shane

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting on mine..... In California

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>These six are going to PSA >>

Those are some pretty nice cards. Hopefully everyone will post their results once the cards are graded.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting in Houston.

PS - If anyone wants to help a non-subscribing brother out when submitting, perhaps that certain someone can be compensated in some sort of fashion.

: hinthinkwinkwink :
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    look how diamond cut this card is and it got a 7? and the right corner doesnt look that sharp.
  • Options

<< <i>look how diamond cut this card is and it got a 7? and the right corner doesnt look that sharp. >>

Thats one of those cards where I can definately say if it was mine its a five.......
  • Options
    Well...these were the best 14 I got. The rest had a worse diamond cut. These have no diamond cut or super slight DK.....Jackson is about the only star i got out of my 6 packs.image
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gents before I hit the rack - I posted this in another thread - and in case some miss it, I wanted to put it here also - the word "diamond cut" is being used and I thought I would clarify my understanding of diamond cut vs. tilt.

from my other post:

Guys this comes up from time to time...

I would like to clarify what we are looking at and my definition of diamond cut vs. tilt.

Diamond cut card:

The cards that people have been showing are "tilted" - i.e., the corners are 90 degrees/square and the inside pic is tilted.

This can be distinguished from the 'true' diamond cut - which is a rhomboid shaped card - NOT square and unless verly slightly diamond cut, would not fit in a PSA holder.

mike

edit: notice with the Brett RC - it's drastically "tilted" but NOT diamond cut - the corners are square/90 degrees.

Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Eatin' my heart out in Oregon waitin' for the package to arrive.

There's some nice cards showing up. I'm 50/50 still trying to decide whether to open or not. It may depend on whether the packs have the minor tears or not...
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Gents before I hit the rack - I posted this in another thread - and in case some miss it, I wanted to put it here also - the word "diamond cut" is being used and I thought I would clarify my understanding of diamond cut vs. tilt.

edit: notice with the Brett RC - it's drastically "tilted" but NOT diamond cut - the corners are square/90 degrees. >>

Stone! Thanks for taking the time to show some examples of DK vs Tilt. So that Joe Louis card dtsa shared is tilted and not DK, correct? That may be why it got the grade it did...
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    Here are some scans...The Brett has wax on the front...pantyhose??

You can see the surface wrinkle on the MVP card...
    I may have a few decent commons as well, I will have to take a closer look. Is anyone considering a raw set?

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the pack sequence substantially similar in minis as the regular issue? Because if it is, I got one of the same packs isellhomeszach landed, back when I was 8.
  • Options
    Pantyhose will work fine to get the wax off.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pantyhose will work fine to get the wax off. >>

What's this mean? How?

Anyway, I just ripped my entire box. Sorry, no scanner, but here are the #s I recall, plus a few more.image

1 image
    150 (2)
    no Yount!! image
    228 / Brett (but wax on front)image
    280 (wax or gum - can't remember)
    623 (1st prem. I pulled)
    640 (wax)
    660!!!! imageimage

No real severe DC, and maybe 30-35% OC by 20% or slightly more. O/W sharp corners and nice gloss.

Images later when time permits.....

P.S. I was gonna stop but I just couldn't do it....

BTW, GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I think i am going to use this Mini wax break as a chance to start building a RAW SET. I only bought 6 packs so i have 60 of the 660. If you have some cards you are not sending for grading (maybe slightly titled or Diamond cut, corner touch, etc....) shoot me a IM or email me at isellhomeszach@cs.com with what you have and what you want for them. It would be a shame to put circulated cards with these untouched gems (even though the cut is terrible on most of them) so I am hoping to build a set from this break. Hope to here from several of you guys!! Thanks, Zach
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While looking some of these up on Ebay, I started to think that there was hope for us. Then, I got to looking at who sent in most of these - dsl.

Anyway, take a look. Some of these grades are surprising.

Johnny Oates PSA 10

This one looks a hair o/c to be a 10. Just my opinion.

Bobby Bonds PSA 9

I would not have even sent this one in.

Reggie Jackson PSA 9

Centered, but tilted.

Keith Hernandez RC PSA 9

Big white blob on corner.

Shane

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    wow, what a rush.... got mine. busted all 6. pulled a brett...i need to scan. i'd like to know your opinions on grade. later tonite.

also pulled a nice munson.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    i would love to see some more scans! i couldnt pull the trigger on the 4 packs because of the o/c issues. how does the brett look?i might not be strong enough to hold off!
  • Options
    the brett has a tilt and o/c but not bad. the munson is sweet. oh yeah, i have a nice rice as well.

i think i'll submit and ask for no quals and see what it pulls. i'll scan for you all tonite.

i had a brock and garvey that were oc at least 90/10 t/b.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    I ALSO PULLED A BRETT!!! TOO BAD IT WAS KEN BRETT LOL!!!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Just got my joe six pack busy now but ripping soon!
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Weird. The case is still listed for sale on Steve's site. Or maybe it's another one. Anyone want to go again?

• Options
    The eagle has landed, wish me luck.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pantyhose will work fine to get the wax off. >>

What's this mean? How?

>>

Pantyhose acts as just enough of a "sandpaper" to get the wax off without scuffing the card.

...or put on pair of wife's pantyhose and go out and wax the card.....image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Picked up a nice Jim Palmer and Reggie Jackson, my only stars.

But picked up some nice commons, definately gradeable.

Thanks Zef that was fun!!!!!!!!

Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    my wife wanted to taste the gum....it was MINT...gosh, she hated it...image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

<< Pantyhose will work fine to get the wax off. >>

Just make sure that you are not actually WEARING the pantyhose when you rub the card!!

OK, that was for fun...gently take the panty hose and rub it on the card where the wax is. Card must be on a hard surface to start.

Text
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Temptation hit hard. Finally decided to open the last two packs.
    Pack five: Nolan Ryan & a Bench RBI Leader
    Pack six: Nolan Ryan

Overall: 2 Ryans, a Rose, a Winfield, a Lynn, about 8 or 9 commons for possible grading and of course the great Herb Washington

With the second Ryan I saw the left side of the card first, smiled, and then saw the right side, sigh.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Only one Schmidt so far? And with the yellow line at top? I actually love the contrast of that special yellow line up there - I think I have both regular and Mini 1975 Topps Schmidts graded PSA 9 o/c or MC with the line at the top, including one with a blue line at the top instead of yellow.

But nice to see someone pull a Schmidt
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    He shoots and he scores! Just opened box of 6 and George Brett is showing on the back of one pack! I'll try to post a picture later.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had zero luck so far with 2 packs ripped - severely O/C and angled cards so far, no dc's, one way oc Steve Garvey. Should I keep ripping?
  • Options
    i might be able to hold off opening after the last few posts about the o/c issue. I dont know if you should keep ripping but it sure is fun!!!!!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it is fun! I'd feel fine either way - the way the packs have been opening for me and others, I'm not holding my breath that the centering's gonna be all that good on any.

I'm going to take another hard look at my 4 sealed packs tonight - at casual glance, I wasn't able to see through the wrapper to judge who the top and bottom cards were? I'll check again.

4 of my packs were "perfect" and the 2 I opened had tiny corner tears, thus I chose them first. Yeah, I may just open those other packs. image
  • Options
    bust 'em

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Observations...........

So far, we have not seen enough openings to make
    a good odds finding. A lot more packs would have to
    be opened to get beyond the 50/50 call.

Packs with ripped corners, might as well be opened.
    They will grade junk.

Unopened packs are a sure thing, in terms of future
    value. Opening packs in hopes of getting a strong
    card is always a longshot.

Stashing unopened packs is not that much fun.
    Opening packs, even when they have junk inside,
    is fun.

Like I said, we are still only at 50/50 on any predictable
    results. The odds have not gotten worse in the past
    24-hours.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    My 6 packs have arrived. No tears, darn. I was hoping for at least 1 tear to make my choice easier to open some packs. I was hoping that PSA would be grading these packs sooner to lessen my temptation to open them.

For the time being they're in a plastic bag out of sight.

AJ
  • Options

<< <i>For the time being they're in a plastic bag out of sight.

AJ >>

Good luck with that, AJ. Let me know how it turns out. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Opened a 2nd pack....here are scans of the cards......the Braves team has gum stain on back and the Frisleban...has wax stain on front. lots of tilted or OC cards in my opinion.....image
  • Options
    I love the insert photo on the Braves card of the manager. You can tell there weren't a lot of nationally televised games on every weeknight like there are now. image

Arthur
  • Options
    I need to get away from my cards.....I have these unopened packs staring me in the face.....and the devil made me do it.....I've opened another of the packs....I pulled a real nice Maris MVP and I think at least four of the other cards are gradeable......Lindblad was the card on top and has wax stain, the Tony Taylor is nice but there is gum stain on back....does anyone know if PSA holds that against you if it's on the back???

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    OK--got mine---was not going to wait to rip. As promised...shot of Remy Martin, glass of wine and.............................

Best card was a Yount Rookie...great corners, no print spots..o/c right to left about 75/25, with a tilt. Would not bother grading it.

Will try posting pix tomorow. Agreed--sure was fun...
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    got mine ripped them all. nothing worthy of a scan lol.. i did get bob gibson, rollie fingers. both wat oc. and the gibson has a line throught he top a yellow line.

most were oc top to bottom more then l/r for me. was well worth the fun. live and learn i guess. thanks zef for making this happen. I would do it again but not for mini's.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Observations...........

So far, we have not seen enough openings to make
    a good odds finding. A lot more packs would have to
    be opened to get beyond the 50/50 call.

Packs with ripped corners, might as well be opened.
    They will grade junk.

Unopened packs are a sure thing, in terms of future
    value. Opening packs in hopes of getting a strong
    card is always a longshot.

Stashing unopened packs is not that much fun.
    Opening packs, even when they have junk inside,
    is fun.

Like I said, we are still only at 50/50 on any predictable
    results. The odds have not gotten worse in the past
    24-hours.

>>

storm, you mentioned 50/50 in terms of quality/junk, how would you observe return on investment - both in opened cards and unopened packs?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen a perfectly centered card. Based on the results so far, I doubt there's a PSA 10 in the entire case. It's all good though as long as you bought into this for the fun of it as opposed to hoping to make money from what's pulled.