Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are still a whole bunch of packs to rip.
    (I know many will not be ripped, but many
    will.)

If somebody can make a poll that can be used
    as a counter of how many packs have been
    ripped, I can calculate the odds within +/-5% of
    pulling a star card/common card, and the goofy
    odds of "reasonable" centering on the remaining
    cards.

The only input on condition/stars will be scans posted,
    but the number of packs ripped is needed to
    compare to the known total of packs in the case.

(I tried to make the counter/poll, but could not
    figure it out. It needs to be a stand alone thread.)

storm >>

One of the reasons I opted for a complete box was to see how these boxes might shake out on a statistical basis.

With about 40+ star cards listed on PSAs list I reasoned that at least half should be attainable given the 360/660 ratio and that was definitely borne out. As soon as I receive a shipment of CS1 and penny sleeves, I'm going to put these in their sleeves and then I'll work up a spreadsheet on the results of the box. I'll also take images of the best centered commons and all of the star, HOF, AS, etc. too.

One last thing, I'm tickled that I ripped the bread on this sandwich, namely both Aarons - #1 and #660. image

Now, I'll be off to the store today to get me some pantyhose!!!! I think I'll get 'nude' !!! image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to all and to the guys who got some nicer cards. My two opened packs yielded little, but the one with Brett on the back I'll leave sealed. I believe it's got to be somewhat off-center, but not too bad. Anyway I've never had a "sealed pack with star "X" visible" before, so for me that decision's easy!

As for the other 3 packs still sealed, I may rip two and leave one alone - eenie, meanie, miny...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    $245 for block of six packs.
    36 packs per box
    16 boxes per case.

Spend on case: $23,520

SMR lists 45 non-common cards in the set. SMR in 9 = $9,035
    SMR lists 615 common cards at $22/each per 9. = $13,530
    Total price of PSA 9 set, using SMR numbers = $22,565.

Thrill of opening a case of cards, even if the results were largely crap = PRICELESS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    oh well, gemmintrarities wont make it long here on CU..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i think i should've kept my pack with munson showing slabbed....geez. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    The collective SMR Value for an all PSA 9 75 Mini Set would be out of touch with reality.........A fully graded 75 Topps Mini set that was in a Mastronet auction in Dec. 2005 had a GPA of 8.81 and sold for $26,000+.

• Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    More delayed gratification...opened Pack #4 last night at my wife's urging during the 8th inning of ALCS Game 2. She picked which of the three I had left to open, and it was a relative winner producing two HOFers (doubling my previous three pack output). A couple of relatively nicely centered commons too (all pictured below). Still haven't pulled any card with centering better than 40/60 L/R, and not holding my breath that I will. However, looking at previous posts, it appears that the rookie cards being pulled (especially the Rice) *all* seem to be very well-centered.

Planning to open the final two at my local shop tomorrow.

And by the way my 14-year-old son was brave enough to try the gum. He promptly gagged and spit it into the trashcan (consider yourself warned if any of you are considering this culinary treat...)

Here's Pack #4's highlights:

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Question:

What qulifiers, if any, will PSA assign to the four cards above?

Thanks.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    storm, none of them are miscut, so likely o/c
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I gotta agree with Marc here. Regardless of how the cards shake out it was a priceless experience. had these cards been regular size i would have been in for a box. I have a complete 'mint' set from 1975 vending and would have loved to upgrade even 1 card if i could.

kudos to all involved for getting this done.

storm the figgy card may not OC. IMO it has the best chance at a straight grade.

Good luck to all involved with their subs.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Using the JR Ruler pixel counter and the high-res version of the image above, I calculated the following centering numbers (measured from the most o/c portions of each card):

Winfield: L/R 31/69 & T/B 67/33
    Williams: L/R 32/68 & T/B 45/55
    Figueroa: L/R 38/62 & T/B 61/39
    Howard: L/R 35/65 & T/B 63/37

Therefore, all can be straight 7s ("70/30 to 75/25 or better") or even straight 8s ("65/35 to 70/30 or better"). The Figueroa has the best chance at an 8 and the Williams has an outside chance at a straight 8 as well.

More than likely, however, because of the razor corners & edges, these cards will come back as 8 or 9 OCs, unless "no qualifiers" are requested.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    IMO the Howard card presents well enough for an 8..( no tilt)
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I thought so too but was that Au Jus? mmmm
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I was thinkin that au jus was a little too close to the wax for comfort.

• Options

<< <i>Was that a Philly Cheesesteaker? >>

<< <i> I thought so too but was that Au Jus? mmmm >>

Close! It's something called a "Swiss Dip", or a French Dip with Swiss cheese melted on it. It's most excellent! And the fries... Don't get me started!

<< <i>I was thinkin that au jus was a little too close to the wax for comfort. >>

Another astute observation! I put the food container on the coffetable only for the picture. I had a TV tray next to me as I ate. I've had accidents before and wasn't about to in this case. Although alcohol was involved so I may have taken some unnecessary chances here. Whew! They survived me!

I do think I'll open at least the one pack with the larger tear in it.

Coming up after I eat what my wife fixed for me tonight...
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Anybody want to host my scans,this forum will not allow mine (to big)........pm me an e-mail address...........I am ripping (6) packs & giving away 6 for Christmas.............Thanks in advance.image
  • Options
    In browsing this thread and admiring the many scans of cards pulled from this case bust, I decided to identify those cards that appear to have the best shot at grading 9 or better. The list below identifies the card, the page on the thread where the scan first appeared, and the lucky owner of the card. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions.

Lou Brock, p. 27, Zef
    Jim Rice RC, p. 32, Bosox1976
    Gary Carter RC, p. 32, Bosox1976
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 32, Bosox1976
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 36, softparade
    Fred Lynn RC, p. 37, softparade
    Ron LeFlore, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Dave Tomlin, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Oscar Zamora, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Keith Hernandez RC, p. 38, gfb
    1974 MVPs, p. 38, gfb
    Nate Colbert, p. 38, gfb
    Tim McCarver, p. 38, alnavman
    Ed Figueroa, p. 38, alnavman (nicer than mine, dammit!)
    Fred Lynn RC, p. 38, Piman58
    Bob Boone, p. 38, frankhardy
    Phil Niekro, p. 39, rounding3rd
    Jim Fuller, p. 40, alnavman
    Lou Brock, p. 41, gstarling
    Ron LeFlore, p. 41, gstarling
    Mike Garman, p. 41, gstarling
    Jim Rice RC, p. 44, stown
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 44, stown

I find it interesting that 9 of these 23 cards are RCs; have others noticed that the rookie cards pulled from this bust are better-centered than most of the others?
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody want to host my scans,this forum will not allow mine (to big)........pm me an e-mail address...........I am ripping (6) packs & giving away 6 for Christmas.............Thanks in advance.image >>

Sure! I'll help you out on both counts -- hosting your pictures and being on your Christmas list!! image

I'll PM you my email address...
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    paleocards...I know there at least 11 of us that agree with your assessments. I haven't had time to look through all the posts so I will
    wait to offer my thoughts.
  • Options
    I ripped all 12 of my packs. Quite a few were oc, but all the players were on the right team! (Unlike the Munson, etc.) I didn't pull anything that I think would be a 10, but this was alot of fun. It brought back some fond childhood memories of collecting. As a Reds fan, I pulled a Rose, Bench, Morgan and Perez! All three were oc, but I remember as a kid wanting to see any Reds player when I opened a pack. I would have rather pulled a Don Gullett card than a Hank Aaron card back then!

For those of you keeping track - I did pull a Ryan, Yount, Aaron Highlight, Bob Gibson, Brooks Robinson, numerous MVP subset and a few other minor stars. All of them are typical of the scans posted so far. I will try to post scans when I get a chance. My wifes grandmother (who raised her) is 83 and has been in the hospital for the last month.

Thanks to Zef for putting this in motion. It has been ALOT of fun. Count me in for the next one!!!
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i ripped 6 , 6 more to go tomorrow night. mostly awesome psa 9 oc's! yount, munson, aaron # 1, . nice tim mcarver maybe a 9. scans to follow soon. and some great miscuts . thanks zef. count me in for any more 75 busts .
    Bob
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> My wifes grandmother (who raised her) is 83 and has been in the hospital for the last month. >>

Cincy

I wish you and your family the best for a speedy of your wife's grandmother.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Man, I haven't had this much fun opening a pack of cards in a LONG time. The year 1975 was a midpoint between the end of my first card-collecting life ('62 to '68) and my second ('81-'91), so this was really special being able to open this pack.

Here are the cards from the first (and only?) pack opened:

272 Lynn McGlothen (Cardinals P; wax on front - easily removed)
    6 '74 Highlights - Marshall Hurls In 106 Games (the poor guy should've seen a doctor! image )
    486 Ray Fosse (A's C)
    143 Cliff Johnson (Astros C)
    89 Jim Ray (Tigers P)
    474 Luke Walker (Tigers P)
    365 Bob Baily (Expos 3B-OF)
    566 Ray Burris (Cubs P)
    420 Larry Bowa (Phillies NL All-Star SS)
    586 Tim McCarver (Red Sox C; a little gum residue on back)

From pack to plastic:

The wrapper fills a hole in that collection:

Computer with scanner is booting up...

Oh, yeah! I just remembered! I've got a Yount showing on the back of a pack! Cool! The others were a little harder to tell what they were; there was definitely an Astros card.
  • Options
    Here's what I'm talkin' about!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Great, fun stuff!
  • Options
    I've got a special request! Would anyone want to trade me a '75T-mini Twins team card for any of the above?? I could use that in another collection of Senators/Twins team cards I've got goin' on.

[edit to add:] zef, didn't you have a Twins team card? Would you want that nice-lookin' Catuli card I got??
  • Options
    The UPS lady just dropped off six nice glossy packs.

Hope PSA hurries it up with the right size holders.

Thank you ZEF. Good job!

• Options
    Here's some more from the next 3 packs. Still 2 packs to go. Will open one tomorrow night, may slab the last, it's in perfect condition. But I'm sure I'll weaken.

• Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    bbne1- that Frank Robby looks really sweet!

I finally had time to go through and pick my best commons for possible submission. Do you think these will go through without qualifiers? Let me hear some opinions!

Thanks!
    -Mike

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    "Do you think these will go through without qualifiers? Let me hear some opinions!"

//////////////////////////////////////////

I do not see how they can.

storm
  • Options
    Thanks so much to all of you great guys (with great big wallets) who posted these - it has been serious fun to watch and read your posts and the scans are awesome. I sure love this place after all these years.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's some more from the next 3 packs. Still 2 packs to go. Will open one tomorrow night, may slab the last, it's in perfect condition. But I'm sure I'll weaken.

image >>

That Frank Robinson has to be the nicest looking card pulled so far. Any problems on the back, or anything we aren't seeing? Congrats on it, either way!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    zef: email me your address, I am sure I have a Twins card, and I can send you one.
    My ebay store IS CLOSED TEMPORARILY
  • Options
    Bad news for me image

I received a notice on my door from UPS saying I missed them on the 11th even though I left a note on my door to leave it with my neighbor. They should have brought it yesterday but they never showed up. I called them this morning and they said my box has not been scanned in 2 days so it is now considered lost. This was my first big purchase after getting back into the hobby (I was out for 15+ years) so it is not a good sign for me. I bought a full box plus 6 additional packs so I am very disappointed.
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be get your money back with just the Frank Robinson. That is probably the nicest card that I have seen pulled.

Shane

• Options
    NYYDM23
    That doesn't sound right....if the item is not delivered..it is supposed to be warehoused at your local delivery center. You should be given up to a week to go pick it up...or ask that it be redelivered.

Somethings fishy....they have to be able to tell where it last was. The driver had to bring it back somewhere. Get back on the horn and demand to talk to a supervisor....bring up talking to your lawyer and tell them that it is vital that you get this package ASAP....they'll find it!!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    NYYDM-
    I am sorry to hear of your hassle with UPS. I have been thru this at times, too, and wound up with 2-3 day delays on misrouted boxes. Hopefully, the box will get to you or reroute back to the shipper. Do be persistent with them. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck. ITZ
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    It seems like a lot of you are asking about grading conditions and qualifiers, as if asking about real value and perhaps return on investment?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>It seems like a lot of you are asking about grading conditions and qualifiers, as if asking about real value and perhaps return on investment? >>

Are you assuming the only thing that someone can do with graded cards is sell them?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems like a lot of you are asking about grading conditions and qualifiers, as if asking about real value and perhaps return on investment? >>

Are you assuming the only thing that someone can do with graded cards is sell them? >>

My nominee for quote of the year.....
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, are you trying to say that there is something wrong with selling them and actually getting a return on an investment?

Shane

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    frank robinson has always looked like yogi bear to me...

tgif
    Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I didn't spend the cash as an investment, it was "play" money.. My collection has grown and busting 30 year old packs was a fun experience (regardless of how the cards turned out).

Zef, thanks again for putting this together and looking forward to the next rip image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't spend the cash as an investment, it was "play" money.. My collection has grown and busting 30 year old packs was a fun experience (regardless of how the cards turned out).

Zef, thanks again for putting this together and looking forward to the next rip image >>

Course I woulda liked a ryan mini psa 10...but I didnt get into this thing thinking it (psa 10'a) was even a possibility, thay way I couldn't be disappointed! image
  • Options

<< <i>NYYDM23
    That doesn't sound right....if the item is not delivered..it is supposed to be warehoused at your local delivery center. You should be given up to a week to go pick it up...or ask that it be redelivered.

Somethings fishy....they have to be able to tell where it last was. The driver had to bring it back somewhere. Get back on the horn and demand to talk to a supervisor....bring up talking to your lawyer and tell them that it is vital that you get this package ASAP....they'll find it!! >>

I have talked with 2 supervisors. They only know what the computer tells them. They are supposed to attempt delivery 3 times before it goes to the storage warehouse. Only the post office tries once. What scares me is that the box has not been scanned in 2 days. If you know UPS you know they scan the crap out of boxes. If a box is in a warehouse they will scan it one or two times a day just to show it is still there. I asked them to put a trace on it but they said it must be done by the sender. I have sent all the details I have so far to Steve and am awaiting a response from him. I have another box coming from Steve with 2 wax boxes of 1985 Topps football that should arrive early next week. Hopefully there will be no problems with that one.
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    anyone get a nice Stargell I could buy? Or 5, or 10?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NYYDM23

Somethings fishy....they have to be able to tell where it last was. The driver had to bring it back somewhere. Get back on the horn and demand to talk to a supervisor....bring up talking to your lawyer and tell them that it is vital that you get this package ASAP....they'll find it!! >>

I have talked with 2 supervisors. They only know what the computer tells them. They are supposed to attempt delivery 3 times before it goes to the storage warehouse. Only the post office tries once. What scares me is that the box has not been scanned in 2 days. If you know UPS you know they scan the crap out of boxes. If a box is in a warehouse they will scan it one or two times a day just to show it is still there. I asked them to put a trace on it but they said it must be done by the sender. I have sent all the details I have so far to Steve and am awaiting a response from him. I have another box coming from Steve with 2 wax boxes of 1985 Topps football that should arrive early next week. Hopefully there will be no problems with that one. >>

The last three times I received packages from UPS or Fed Ex and wasn't home (including these Mini's), they just left them on my porch in plain view. How come they do this? They scan the crap out of everything at every possible point during transit, then leave it on the porch without a signature or anything. Seems kinda dumb to me. Go USPS!
  • Options
    "Go USPS! "

///////////////////////////

• Options
    Some Pack Pix.....