Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems like a lot of you are asking about grading conditions and qualifiers, as if asking about real value and perhaps return on investment? >>

Are you assuming the only thing that someone can do with graded cards is sell them? >>

Then why are some of your buyers concerned about centering, miscuts or whether it would grade an 8 or 9? Besides, the value of graded cards are 1) authenticity, 2) condition assessment and 3) to fix a relative value. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reason to ask about how they would grade - just enjoy them for what they are as raw cards from a fresh pack. I do, however, believe that nearly everyone here do understand "value". It doesn't matter if you have a small budget or a huge one like Jim C., no one likes to spend money without a return - whether it be tangible or intangible (which was how you missed the point). It's all a matter of degree to how one puts values on things that are paid for. Nothing really wrong with that since not everyone have play money to burn (if I did, breaks like these would be high on my list).

Personally, I believe we have gone way overboard in "book value" of cards - to the point that in the past 25 years, no one could open a pack without seeing how much "value" you got (like the star or rookie card or insert that books high).
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...I believe we have gone way overboard in "book value" of cards..."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A case for that concept can sure be made. But, absent some value
    beyond "fun," there would not be much of a card community. This
    board sure would not be here.

I like collectibles, but I do not buy expensive items unless I think
    there is at least some chance that I will make money or break even
    when I dump them.

Expensive is a relative thing, and no I do not think of the minis
    as "expensive." Everybody puts their own definition to what
    expensive means, based on lots of different factors.

A bunch of unopened packs of 1975 Minis are now starting to
    pop up on EBAY. Mine have not joined the hunt, yet.

The ONLY bummer about this event, for me, is that PSA is delayed
    in being able to holder the packs. Since I had always planned to
    grade the packs, I can either send them to GAI, or wait for PSA,
    or dump the little guys raw. (Please note, I had planned to sell
    the PSA-graded packs, too.)

I mean this in the best spirit, but I have not heard anybody who
    bought into this break complain about spending money on it. I
    spend/squander a lot of dough on things that usually turn out
    not to be profitable; I do always get something back out, and I
    have "fun." Sometimes, I hit a homerun. (Not too often.) The
    card "hobby" needs people like me, even if I do think of the
    little cards as financial instruments. I am a buyer and a seller,
    and that can only be good for people who want to preserve
    and expand the "hobby."

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Schr1st - here's the back of the Frank Robinson - I don't see any flaws on the front or the corners. A beautiful card I think.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Then why are some of your buyers concerned about centering, miscuts or whether it would grade an 8 or 9? Besides, the value of graded cards are 1) authenticity, 2) condition assessment and 3) to fix a relative value. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any reason to ask about how they would grade - just enjoy them for what they are as raw cards from a fresh pack. I do, however, believe that nearly everyone here do understand "value". It doesn't matter if you have a small budget or a huge one like Jim C., no one likes to spend money without a return - whether it be tangible or intangible (which was how you missed the point). It's all a matter of degree to how one puts values on things that are paid for. Nothing really wrong with that since not everyone have play money to burn (if I did, breaks like these would be high on my list).

Personally, I believe we have gone way overboard in "book value" of cards - to the point that in the past 25 years, no one could open a pack without seeing how much "value" you got (like the star or rookie card or insert that books high). >>

Hey buc, why do you give a rats a$$? I have been around these boards looooong enough to KNOW that you are in this hobby for nothing else except to BE SURE that you can get your money back on anything you buy. And there is nothing wrong with that image Not at all.

But why are you in this thread questioning those who have spent their money? Why are you so concerned with those of us who are posting scans wondering if cards will grade high? Guess what ...... I bought nine packs and I don't give a $HIT if every card was miscut. I don't care. However, I pulled a couple decent cards along with others and would sure like it if guys like you would keep your gaping holes shut if I post a scan wondering what grade a card might get.

Bottom line, don't come in this thread questioning peoples real motives..... that is what you are doing ....... big time lack of class.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

<< <i> Anyway, Jordan should be congratulated for putting this whole thing together and for NOT taking the 25K and running to the hills. That the cards have been OC is beside the point. Besides, I think we'll all agree that if flushing $250 down the drain makes you queasy then this is not the hobby for you. >>

right on boo image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    BBNE1, Very nice Robinson.image

Paleo, nice roundup....

Lou Brock, p. 27, Zef
    Jim Rice RC, p. 32, Bosox1976
    Gary Carter RC, p. 32, Bosox1976
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 32, Bosox1976
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 36, softparade
    Fred Lynn RC, p. 37, softparade
    Ron LeFlore, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Dave Tomlin, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Oscar Zamora, p. 37, Elemenopeo
    Keith Hernandez RC, p. 38, gfb
    1974 MVPs, p. 38, gfb
    Nate Colbert, p. 38, gfb
    Tim McCarver, p. 38, alnavman
    Ed Figueroa, p. 38, alnavman (nicer than mine, dammit!)
    Fred Lynn RC, p. 38, Piman58
    Bob Boone, p. 38, frankhardy
    Phil Niekro, p. 39, rounding3rd
    Jim Fuller, p. 40, alnavman
    Lou Brock, p. 41, gstarling
    Ron LeFlore, p. 41, gstarling
    Mike Garman, p. 41, gstarling
    Jim Rice RC, p. 44, stown
    '75 Rookie Pitchers, p. 44, stown
  • looks like bbne found our diamond in the rough that robinson looks like a 10 to meimage
  • Thanks 80's. Here's the best from pack 5. Pack 6 is calling my name but I'm trying to resist.

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks 80's. Here's the best from pack 5. Pack 6 is calling my name but I'm trying to resist.

image >>

Nice Lacy! That is a low pop in high grade! Looks sweet from here.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditto what zef said on the Lacy card. Is the white color on top due to the scan? If so, that card looks like a 9 to me, if not Gem Mint!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Yeah, the white seems to be from the scan. My scanner isn't the best - HP printer/copier/scanner. The back is nicely centered too. How about that name - Leondaus?

Beautiful centering on the back, too. On a good day, you may get a PSA 10 with that card, and that will pay for all 6 packs you bought and then some! Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭
    I was going through my extra raw minis and found a few bigger than the others. I know that happened. I was wondering if anyone who crack this case has gotten any larger cards mixed in their packs?
    I would be interested in buying or trading for any radically miscut minis
    from the 10-04-06 case break.

Radically Miscut = Cards with two players (or almost two players) pictured,
    and sharp corners.

• Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Here are some scans of Libertyhead's cards that I am hosting.

Some nice cards Libertyhead. I pulled 2 of the RBI Leaders with Bench and both have the same faded area as in your card.
    Congrats on the Brett as well.

Let us know how those other packs do as Christmas presents.
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    finally some scans

imageimage

imageimage
    Bob
    found yount in 1st pack!

Bob
    mike hunt?

Bob
    one of the classic shots

Bob
    looks good
    Bob
    my miscuts: seemed to be the 2nd card in the pack usually

Bob

Bob
    Bob
    some interesting dudes

Bob
    Here are a few more of the decent cards I have not had a chance to scan yet ....

• librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    A loud THANKS to Piman58..................for being the host w/the most,and yes Christmas is jus around the corner!.............also thanks HoofHearted for your offer to host.........some great people on this forum!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayhawke:

I got about 1 card in every other pack that seem to be slightly larger than average. Typically was the only well centered card in the pack.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    "I got about 1 card in every other pack that seem to be slightly larger than average.
    Typically was the only well centered card in the pack."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am starting to strongly suspect that the above finding
    is the key to MCs.

Anybody have any PSA 8 minis to compare these MCs against?
    (I sold all of mine last month for tiny money.)

Also, if you have a nicely centered card from this break, try
    comparing it to a bunch of the MCs.

Anybody know where the best centered cards found thus far
    were located on the uncut sheets?

storm
    Here is a PSA 8 for condition comparison.
    Photo ripped from ebay. Card is $35.00 + freight.

Maybe the centering was borderline, but the white lines are pretty straight.
    That may indicate that the straight lines are very important.
    I've noticed several auctions on ebay offering packs from this break for sale. I wonder if those collectors who may have planned to open these packs are deciding to sell them unopened instead, because of the centering issues on most of these cards scanned so far?

"I've noticed several auctions on ebay offering packs from this break for sale."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And, we will see some more as time passes.

I threw mine up with a high retail price on them. They will
    get a few folks into the store, and the high price should
    boost bids for some of the other packs in auction format.

As the start of this thread attests, I never planned to rip
    the packs. I want to get them graded by PSA, but I do not
    mind using them as a billboard to try and get some traffic
    while I wait for the holders to arrive.

At this point the ONLY thing that works to get new buyers
    into the stores seems to be give-away auctions and FP
    format in CORE. The 1-cent auctions are working to get traffic,
    and once the buyers get their "free" stuff, some come back
    and I might have them forever.

I still think there are some good cards in the unopened packs;
    that thought is based on math. But, if you look at the raw minis
    on EBAY, most of them are substantially better centered than
    our sample has been; so my rough math could be irrelevant.

I dunno.

• there are some on ebay wow i guess the centering must have scared a few.

I dont know how zef feels about his pictures but the pictures i posted of the break are for the group to enjoy I dont want to see any of my pictures of the break end up in somebodys ebay auction no offense.image
  • Hey guys the 75 mini break has been so fun I am redoing the top of my mini bar with 75 topps mini wrappers. plus since i was born in 75 it seems fitting decor . I want to cover the bar top with wrappers then seal the top so the wrappers will be forever sealed in the bar. I think this will make a great top since i am changing the bar to more of a sports theme.

i have 45 wrappers but need i figured 250 or so to cover the whole bar top if any body form the break does not want the wrappers please let me knowor if anyone has old wrappers let me know please. I will post some pics of the bar top when its done.imageimage

That's one beautiful bar!

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's nice. I'll have a Jack and Coke, please...image
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Citron & Soda with a twist, please.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭
    and you leave the basement for what reason?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭
    Bosox1976,

Thanks for the info.

<< <i>and you leave the basement for what reason? >>

Well this explains 80's pic with zef and Steve Hart image

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys the 75 mini break has been so fun I am redoing the top of my mini bar with 75 topps mini wrappers. plus since i was born in 75 it seems fitting decor . I want to cover the bar top with wrappers then seal the top so the wrappers will be forever sealed in the bar. I think this will make a great top since i am changing the bar to more of a sports theme.

i have 45 wrappers but need i figured 250 or so to cover the whole bar top if any body form the break does not want the wrappers please let me knowor if anyone has old wrappers let me know please. I will post some pics of the bar top when its done.imageimage

My Home Mini bar Set up (see pic in earlier post!)

Geeez, I would need a designated person to get me up the stairs from the basement. Wow! that is one nice looking "basement watering hole"! image

rd

edit: those stone tiles on the floor are a nice touch too!

imageimageimageimageCLICK HERE AND LISTEN!! The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for the Devil imageimageimageimage

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

highly recommended for your bar image
  • My lost UPS parcel finally arrived. 42 packs of ripping fun image

Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>My lost UPS parcel finally arrived. 42 packs of ripping fun >>

Ah man that looks like it is going to be a blast! Maybe the best is yet to come.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • It has been fun seeing the packs getting ripped! By the way, any one have a Munson for sale? Let me know....

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • NYYDM23.....that is an awesome sight!! Are you gonna rip or save 'em? Glad they showed up for ya anyway.

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn

• << <i>NYYDM23.....that is an awesome sight!! Are you gonna rip or save 'em? Glad they showed up for ya anyway.

Dan >>

I plan on ripping most if not all. If I open 6 per day they will last me a week or 1 a day and they will last me 6 weeks. decisions decisions image
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    You are more disciplined than I am. I would have opened them in 30 minutes flat. image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    999 image
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Looking for Atlanta $1-$20 Series 1928-present + Stars , Raw or Graded !! &
    FR-1509 ,FR-1509*,FR-1510,FR-1510*,FR-1511*,FR-1512*,FR-1514*
    in PCGS 66 or 67PPQ**

EBAY ITEMS
    Check out - BrettEldredge.com !! Hometown Singer