Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it would be fun to pool together to buy a 1972 baseball wax box from any series other than series 2. Maybe that could be our next pack ripping venture? >>

That would be awesome!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I think it would be fun to pool together to buy a 1972 baseball wax box from any series other than series 2. Maybe that could be our next pack ripping venture? >>

How much would a box go for? Do I assume 36 packs and how many in a pack? Back in my buying frenzy during the 1980s, I did pick up a pack for $15 and traded a 75 Yount for a high# pack (to bring this back to being semi on-topic). Those had been the only 70s packs I had ever ripped in the past 25 years. I was too busy ripping boxes and cases of 80s stuff. image I never liked the minis but I would love to do a 72 break just so I can remember the experience.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

How much would a box go for? Do I assume 36 packs and how many in a pack? Back in my buying frenzy during the 1980s, I did pick up a pack for $15 and traded a 75 Yount for a high# pack (to bring this back to being semi on-topic). Those had been the only 70s packs I had ever ripped in the past 25 years. I was too busy ripping boxes and cases of 80s stuff. image I never liked the minis but I would love to do a 72 break just so I can remember the experience. >>

24 packs per box. It would cost roughly $2500 up to $3000. So I would estimate $100-$125 per pack. High series would probably go for $150-$175 per pack.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Oh this is driving me nuts....

May have to head out of the office just a tad early today image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That would be awesome! >>

hell yeah!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    there are 24 packs in a box of 72's , they go for various amounts . i have opened many in the last few year s for fun. the boxes should sell for 2400-3000 for a clean full box. mastro has a group of 24 graded packs , series UNKNOWN, which probably means series 2.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me in as an early 70's participant. I would rather do 60's, even late 60's, but I realize these are probably very tough to find.
  • Options
    I came home today and found a sorry I missed you slip from UPS on the door image
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options

<< <i>I came home today and found a sorry I missed you slip from UPS on the door image >>

That's interesting. They left my complete 36 pack box on the doorstep in plain view of the street.
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Rec'd my 6-pack on Monday, but I'm savoring opening them -- one pack on Monday, two last evening. So far only two HOFer cards (Schmidt o/c left & low, and Yaz/Cepeda '67 MVPs, gradable, maybe an 8). Below are some scans of these two and the nicer commons that have come out of my first three packs. More to follow after I finish opening...

This has been a real blast, Zef, thanks again.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Carew,

Here is a Carew I pulled from a mini I ripped a few months back.
    >>

Shweeeet!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    I honestly cannot complain about my packs at all image

Props on the packaging!

A little voice was saying, "Open meeeeeeeee!"

So I did image

The strange thing with the Rice is that it's a tad larger, has a slight imprint at the top where the cut should have been, and the corners are a little bowed (I suppose). Otherwise, it's an awesome card.

I love the bottom right one image

A majority of the cards are not dc/tilted, so I'm happy about the purchase image

Oh yeah and the gum was TERRIBLE!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Are those gum chips floating in your spit??? Nasty image
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Yes, I had a similar result with a stick of gum from a 1981 Topps pack a couple weeks ago. For some reason, the gum no longer coagulates (if that's the right term). It just turns into goo, and then you're body says, "Whatever you do, don't swallow." And then you have to spit it out into the nearest available receptacle. A wax wrapper will do in a pinch. Photographing the goo and posting it on the Internet is optional.

• Options
    Is that sharp Giusti going to hit the open market?
  • Options
    Everyone that did this is awesome - it sucks that Topps didn't have even minimal quality control in place (see 1977, my current project) but that isn't your fault, and it looks like it was a lot of fun. Admission: My favorite is the Mets team card. That such an awesome card turned up can only be a sign...uh, wait...no Seaver scans yet?
    CARD IS TIGHT
  • Options

<< <i>Is that sharp Giusti going to hit the open market? >>

It does have 4 sharp corners. I'll just list it with the following title:

@ 74 1974 SUPER RARE ERROR GUISTI 1/1 PSA

• Options
    Still waiting in California.....
  • Options
    The UPS man delivers!!!

I'm going to savor this like the Chivas I just poured...

imageimage
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    hey thats ron leflore's rookie card!
    nice carew zef... sure 9?
    Bob
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

first pack, by George!
    THANKS ZEF!!! image
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    It seems like a lot of people are pulling George Brett...has anyone kept count?

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems like a lot of people are pulling George Brett...has anyone kept count?

-Mike >>

good idea, could we post a poll and just vote for star cards we got from the case, might get difficult
  • Options
    Hoof,

The glass might be half full but the bottle is completely empty. image

Arthur
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting - I have one of those Bretts where he's top card on back of the pack (I believe someone else mentioned getting the same deal in one of their packs.)

Haven't heard of any Younts on top tho!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    my brett looks identical to itzagoners....i'm submitting it. i sent 12 in today just to see what the results are.

stars:

brett
    munson
    rice
    fingers
    54 mvp
    55 mvp
    62 mvp
    brock o/c
    garvey o/c
    gibson o/c
    lacoc k...lol

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "good idea, could we post a poll and just vote for star cards we got from the case, might get difficult "

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

What we need is a "survey." Posting it now would be premature,
    but the questions should be put together and ready to go in about
    a week or so.

Or, a simple way - but maybe less informative - would be a new
    thread with thoughts from openers who wished to post their findings.
    (Maybe about a week from now.)

On a related note: I am having a hard time figuring out what the
    qualifier is on a card that has the "tilt" that is prevalent. I guess
    it is just MC, but I am not sure.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Hoof,

The glass might be half full but the bottle is completely empty. image

Arthur >>

Very observant! I've got some Crown Royal in reserve until I can make it to The Store...image
  • Options
    They have finally arrived! This is too cool.

Pack 1 opened - GREAT condition, not too bad centering at all, Santo and Morgan.

These are the first mini's I've owned, and I have to say I like the size. Hold on, gotta go make a martini before I open pack #2....

• Options
    This is a brutal break.......
  • Options

<< <i>This is a brutal break....... >>

Lets see some of your gem mint rarities...
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

Lets see some of your gem mint rarities... >>

I have much....Mr. Bigshot OC case buyer.....truth hurt? I don't mean to be rude, but quit being so defensive.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have much....Mr. Bigshot OC case buyer.....truth hurt? I don't mean to be rude, but quit being so defensive. >>

Truth does not hurt. My packs sucked and as I see many other people's did as well. But to come on as your first post make such a brutal claim doesn't say much about you. But hey, you've been lurking for a few months and finally decided that you needed to get a shot in. You must feel real proud that you FINALLY told us we are not true BIGSHOTS. I applaud you. Your people skills and modesty will surely take you far in life.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have much....Mr. Bigshot OC case buyer.....truth hurt? I don't mean to be rude, but quit being so defensive. >>

Truth does not hurt. My packs sucked and as I see many other people's did as well. But to come on as your first post make such a brutal claim doesn't say much about you. But hey, you've been lurking for a few months and finally decided that you needed to get a shot in. You must feel real proud that you FINALLY told us we are not true BIGSHOTS. I applaud you. You're people skills and modesty will surely take you far in life. >>

No Jordan...I am not being a jerkoff....I was just stating that it was so far a bad break.....you are one of the most insecure people posting on this board to take offense...get over yourself......P.S. I have been lurking for a long time, do not let my 2 posts fool you, and by the way.....I am far in life sweetpea....feel free to have your cronies flame away....I am done posting in this thread....good luck w/ the rest of the breaks fellas....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Truth does not hurt. My packs sucked and as I see many other people's did as well. But to come on as your first post make such a brutal claim doesn't say much about you. But hey, you've been lurking for a few months and finally decided that you needed to get a shot in. You must feel real proud that you FINALLY told us we are not true BIGSHOTS. I applaud you. You're people skills and modesty will surely take you far in life. >>

No Jordan...I am not being a jerkoff....I was just stating that it was so far a bad break.....you are one of the most insecure people posting on this board to take offense...get over yourself......P.S. I have been lurking for a long time, do not let my 2 posts fool you, and by the way.....I am far in life sweetpea....feel free to have your cronies flame away....I am done posting in this thread....good luck w/ the rest of the breaks fellas.... >>

Insecure? I have given my real name and posted my picture!? You are the one hiding behind an alt. I couldn't care less for people to come on here and flame you. I just felt the need to call a spade a spade.

Again, you must feel real proud of yourself. Excellent exit.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I think what we have here is a classic case of getting off the glorious topic of cracking an untouched virgin case of '75 minis. Like it or not, everyone that participated in this has a 1-UP on everyone else in this board because they did something that the rest of us will never be afforded the opportunity again to achieve.

I congratulate each and every one of you for doing this. My jealousy runs deep but not deep enough to not wish HOFers in ever pack of yours. All I ask for are scans. image

Bring 'em on!

Arthur
  • Options

Well said Arthur. I too feel this has been the greatest thing. I did not get in this break to make money I got in because as you said we have a 1up on others who can never say they have done something like this. years from now i'll be showing these cards to my kids and telling stories about all the great guys i met and got to know thanks to these god awfull cut cardsimage
  • Options

<< <i>image

Well said Arthur. I too feel this has been the greatest thing. I did not get in this break to make money I got in because as you said we have a 1up on others who can never say they have done something like this. years from now i'll be showing these cards to my kids and telling stories about all the great guys i met and got to know thanks to these god awfull cut cardsimage >>

80sJunkie,

Don't confuse me for someone that got in on this. I wish I had but there's nothing I can do about that now. I'll just continuie to live vicariously through those that did get in. I just wanted to chime in and say that I was rooting for everyone and that, no matter what, the cards you guys pull do not make up the sum of the parts. The one thing I can't get over is that no one (the "big time" hobby mediums) wanted to cover this. This truly is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and everyone involved should be proud.

Congrats image

Arthur
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Love that Joe Niekro card and the '75 Morgan has always been a favorite.

I'm w/ Arthur: keep the scans comin'!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy posting here and in some other forums as well, and one thing I've learned about internet trolls...basically they hate for no reason - so I ignore them.

But I think the troll here could learn a lesson from the movie "The Music Man" - This isn't a perfect analogy because here with the baseball cards there was no con involved...but if you saw the movie you'll remember towards the end when the people of River City were angry at Professor Harold Hill for conning them by delivering the band instruments, but intentionally trying to renege on his promise of teaching the band to play. But Marion the librarian so eloquently pointed out to the angry citizens that the joy of anticipation and comraderie that was created all summer in River City because of the new band, was worth more, much more, than any cost of the band instruments. The citizens agreed with Marion and of course the happy ending was the citizens actually getting more involved with creating even a bigger and better, more wonderful band.

Perhaps the troll can take a lesson from this...but trolls usually don't.

-
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think this troll is an alt of someone else on these boards. There was another guy here about six months ago who had a similar aversion to proper grammar, and I remember pointing out that he (whoever he was) wrote just like Celine, what with all the half-finished sentences that terminate in an inexplicable series of periods.

Anyway, Jordan should be congratulated for putting this whole thing together and for NOT taking the 25K and running to the hills. That the cards have been OC is beside the point. Besides, I think we'll all agree that if flushing $250 down the drain makes you queasy then this is not the hobby for you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    There are still a whole bunch of packs to rip.
    (I know many will not be ripped, but many
    will.)

If somebody can make a poll that can be used
    as a counter of how many packs have been
    ripped, I can calculate the odds within +/-5% of
    pulling a star card/common card, and the goofy
    odds of "reasonable" centering on the remaining
    cards.

The only input on condition/stars will be scans posted,
    but the number of packs ripped is needed to
    compare to the known total of packs in the case.

(I tried to make the counter/poll, but could not
    figure it out. It needs to be a stand alone thread.)

storm

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds interesting - I have one of those Bretts where he's top card on back of the pack (I believe someone else mentioned getting the same deal in one of their packs.)

Haven't heard of any Younts on top tho! >>

That was me, here's a scan but I'm limited in size. On the bottom yellow section between the two paragraphs you can see "GE BRETT". The green and purple color scheme is also visible thru the right side of the wrapper (which shows no tears, yippee):

The other 5 packs I opened. I must have used up all my mini mojo getting the Brett pack as Joe Rudi and Vida Blue were the 2 biggest stars out of the other 50 cards. Also got 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958 and 1964 MVP cards. Can't complain as overall it was great fun.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    I also have a pack with brett on the back. Still decideing what to doimage
  • Options

<< <i>I also have a pack with brett on the back. Still decideing what to doimage >>

I would definately slab it. Any pack with "Brett Rookie back" on the flip has got to be 100 times rarer than risking opening it and finding it to be 80/20.

Definately a "one for the slabs" candidate....
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I didnt know Joe rudi was a star!!! I had him on the back of one of my packs!!!! LOL
    I got 6 packs, 5 had a star so I was impressed. Whether they were gem mint 10 or not it was fun pulling Munson, yaz, carew, Lynn, Brett etc out of a pack! Please dont "feed" the trolls!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

No offense, but when someone comes to this forum with a grand total of 3 posts and makes the statement you did, it's like walking into a stranger's house and wiping your feet on their new white carpet.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    900 image