Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    damn you guys got burned. those cards look like crap.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭
    20 for 20. I opened two packs and every card was severely OC. Can we sue Topps??? image

I did get a Rose and Brooksy though.

The other 4 packs will remain sealed.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i hope to get my packs tomorrow at my box and i am ripping all 12. thanks to everyone for posting all the scans!
    Bob
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

wow!!! I must say i was very tempted in thrill of getting in on this, but after seeing these cards, i'm glad i passed this one up. I'll just stay with throwing good money after bad at the race track....
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Jus got mine today..........my 1 year old wont give up the box! Maybe he will trade for a coin to gnaw on.image
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He shoots and he scores! Just opened box of 6 and George Brett is showing on the back of one pack! I'll try to post a picture later. >>

...........I got a brett not centered!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Steve wrote..

"storm, you mentioned 50/50 in terms of quality/junk, how would you observe
    return on investment - both in opened cards and unopened packs?

/////////////////////////////////////////////

At this point, because the sample is still so small (lots
    of full boxes have not been popped) you could only
    say that you have a 50/50 chance of pulling one or
    more cards that might make you want to submit them
    to PSA.

If a couple more full boxes get opened, we can start to make
    some odds. I admit, that making bad odds right now is
    tempting and might cause the maker to be seen as
    prescient as events unfold, but it is still too early to do
    more than make lucky a guess.

As BBCE has often said, "Nice sealed packs are a sure thing,
    opened packs are a big longshot."

Last month I sold some really nice minis on EBAY. PSA 8s,
    most for less than $10 delivered; one was the MVP-Maris
    card.

The fishing retail price on a GAI 10 sealed-pack is around
    $500.00. If they sell for 50% of that, the cost of six packs
    has about been recouped, IF one of those 10s was YOURS.
    9s could bring close to $100 around the holidays.

Expensive-case breaks are big lottery tickets; nothing more.
    The thrill you get opening/squandering is paid for, just like
    any form of entertainment. You have a tiny chance of
    winning big, but that chance keeps many folks coming
    back again and again.

Ungraded packs are just no fun, to me. It is too bad that
    PSA has decided that they cannot holder the minis at this
    time. When mine arrive, I will wait a while, and if PSA
    cannot find the right holders soon, I will send them
    elsewhere.

I really do not invest in cards. I buy them to resell, but
    I have little confidence in their ability to be a storehouse
    of value. So, when I buy them, I figure I have already
    "lost" the money that I spent, and if it works out better,
    I am pleased. But, no matter how the money part turns
    out, I still had the fun of "playing" with the cards.

The sealed packs are a quasi "investment;" the opened packs
    are just for the fun that comes from gambling.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Very nice post, storm. Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Shipping will be $6 for UPS insured for one block of 6 packs. >>

I didn't get my package yet. I feel better that it's insured, but can you track a UPS package with something similar to the DelCon # from the USPS??

Just wondering...
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Man, I didn't get a chance to make it through all the pages, but has there been anyone here after ripping who didn't find themselves bent
    over holding their ankles? I was really hoping that you all would do better than this.

Here is hoping for a 50/50 streak! Im not sure who was cutting this garbage over at topps, but even a broken clock is right twice
    a day!

Kevin
  • Options
    Haven't gotten mine yet - anybody in California received theirs?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Still nothing here but after seeing some scans, I almost am hoping to claim that insurance image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>damn you guys got burned. those cards look like crap. >>

Oddball

You're one big ASS!

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>damn you guys got burned. those cards look like crap. >>

Oddball

You're one big ASS!

Stone >>

I just coined the term, Jealous JawJacker™ on the US Coin Forum....congrats, you seem to be one of them here too.

Firstly, you haven't seen my cards yet and several of the keys will be at least 8, with many 9s. Also, out of 360 cards, maybe 10-15 commons or team cards, etc. are very solid for PSA10....I'm happy, but again it's a HOBBY....don't spend more than you can stomach losing....Capite??
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you expect to hear from a guy with a firing gun for an avatar and an upside down torn United States flag in his sig line?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Guys,

If you were in this for investment, you had the wrong mindset from the get go. I love the guys who come on and try to antagonize that they are so glad they didn't get in. Since I was not in for a box, I consider my investment relatively small. I enjoy the thrill of opening packs with the knowledge that I am likely not going to profit from my pack(s). I am fine with that. Would I like to have gotten a dead centered Brett/Yount/Ryan, SURE, but I sure am not upset by my involvement in this and potential of my $$ going strictly toward entertainment value. We have talked about and anticipated this for a month. Now, I am done opening my packs and I am still getting enjoyment at watching what everyone else pulls.

I liken it to Vegas, where I have unfortunately blown a few 75 mini boxes in some nights image. In Vegas, of you enjoy playing you should set a realistic expectation of what you can and will be able to lose. You are paying for your entertainment and the thrill of the slight chance of actually making some money. It doesn't happen often. But, if you have some self control and know what you are able to lose(put into a pack break) with the expectation of not seeing that money again, you essentially are paying for the entertainment value of sitting at the table or opening the packs.

BTW, I bought a GAI 7 75 Mini pack from Steve a few months ago and I got SEVEN cards that I am submitting. As well as the Brock I pulled(image that's legit the only card out of these 9 packs worth submitting). So, for $6 more dollars my entertainment value will continue to see how I ultimately made out.

I would get in on one of these breaks again tomorrow. Would I lay out $25k for the case? Hell no. But a few hundred bucks for a month of anticipation and entertainment is well worth it in my book.

the zef has spoken....
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Oddball is a weasle.

He knew exactly what he was saying - he just wants attention.

I usually ignore the little prick.

But, a lot of people spent good money on these packs and his comment is just low.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Heck no zef, I hope it didn't come across that I was "disappointed" not to get perfect 10 centered cards out of the packs. If anything I'm just complaining about Topps' quality control, much as I would've if I had bought some as a kid and gotten these many OCs!

Now for the good news, as promised, I took a closer look at the 4 packs I had left sealed, and am happy to say Mr. Brett is clearly visible on the back of one of them as well! Centering is to the bottom and left, and if it were to be opened, he'd surely have wax across his face from the seal. Anyway, I think I'll leave that one in the wrapper - pretty cool!

As Steve and zef said tho, this is/was a c...shoot, with the most likely "valuable" option, to just leave the packs sealed. The entertainment of opening packs that shoulda been opened by your kid-hands about 31 years ago now, is where the value lies.

I would be up for doing this again, should zef come across any more unbroken cases in Steve's inventory. Thanks sir. image
  • Options
    Here are the best of my scans from my 12 pack lot, no huge names, but some decent cards. Had 2 commons that I thought were worth sending in. Some cards not pictured are Griffey, Garvey, and Baker that are too off center for grading.

The Brock is the best, really good centering, sharp corners, nice finish.

Centering issues and a slight diamond cut.

A slight diamond cut and a print spot.

Common that is worth grading.

Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    Stone, I've PMed you once before when you gave your typical hearty welcome to me as you seem to do with everyone (you might recall it.)

Suffice to say, my opinion of nutball is a fairly well perfectly 180 degree polar opposite, of how I regard you. I would imagine 99.9871% of the others here feel the same about him.

Think of how must hard it be to be him, and so reviled. Then, kick him to the curb and forget about the putz. image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i agree.. oddball has always been nothing but a troll.. a lurker.. and an alt.. ive said it before, he should be banned..

actually, i hope he dies, but at the very least banned until then..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Heck no zef, I hope it didn't come across that I was "disappointed" not to get perfect 10 centered cards out of the packs. If anything I'm just complaining about Topps' quality control, much as I would've if I had bought some as a kid and gotten these many OCs! >>

I agree and I was not directing that to anyone other than some antagonists around. I shouldn't even acknowledge them as the negative attention to their comments is what they strive on.

<< <i>I would be up for doing this again, should zef come across any more unbroken cases in Steve's inventory. Thanks sir. image >>

I'm always looking. image

And as ArnyVee put it in a PM to me(sorry for sharing but it was funny as hell), "seeing Steve's warehouse must have been like an adult Disneyland."

It sure was. And despite the results here, I have not taken my last ride. image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Heck, if we don't keep trying, we'll never find that perfect 10 1 of 1 in the middle of a vintage pack one day!

Good luck and much happiness with your new married way of life. image
  • Options
    Pandrews - you crack me up. Hope I never get on your bad side.

Zef - you sneaking off to the computer while the new Mrs. is sleeping?

The way I see this whole thing is as an adventure. Haven't got my packs yet, but whatever's in them it's still been a lot of fun. Even if all the posts had a ton of well centered beauties, there would still be a sour attitude out there ready to say "yeah but" rather than "hey, cool, that was exciting".

Thanks again for all the work, and hopefully I'll be posting some pics tomorrow...
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I know my comment was not to antaginize anyone. But if i shelled out $200+ and saw the cards being posted, I would have just shipped the packs off to PSA for grading and just put them away in the safe. Why would i want to open up packs that so far are diamond cut and a few severly miscut? Again one post did say--"even a broken clock is right twice". Maybe they caught the problem later in the run in the case.
    Let's hope that is the case.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you more, zef. Even under the same circumstances (being out of the country, limited internet access, scrambling to my paypal account, etc), I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Let me know about the next purchase and consider my payment already sent image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    If I had the spare cash - I would have been there.

I think it's a fun gamble - definitely worth it.

Heck, early this year I bought some vending from BBCEx and in the first two boxes - most all the cards were OC! And then this guy popped up!

And that made it all good!

So, I know some gems will be put up there - I've already seen a few gems.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I love that Sandberg card. I remember when you got those boxes and showed that scan. It's a beaut!!!! I might be a little biased, though. image

Maybe this century we'll win one. image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Haven't gotten mine yet - anybody in California received theirs? >>

I'm in California and my box arrived today. I opened a few packs for the fun of it. I knew I wouldn't get anything submittable. My packs were similar to zef's with a few cards in each pack having half of two cards on it. Here are the highlights:

Haven't decided how many packs I'll open yet. I set aside packs with a Seaver and McCovey showing. Those will definitely wait for PSA pack grading.
  • Options
    Hi Zef and all,

I just wanted to tip my hat to you guys -- as a fan and avid reader of this thread since its incarnation, it's been great fun even as a non-participant. The anxiety of the decision to get in, the anticipation of the case purchase and pack arrival, the gut-wrenching choice of whether to rip or not, and and the highs/lows of the actual rip results has been TRULY a fantastic read.

While I didn't jump into this one, we're just finishing the football pack rip, and about ready to start 80sjunkie's monster baseball rip and a hockey bust (and ArnyVee and a few of us even did a small '84 Donruss box bust a week ago or so). I know that no matter what is inside of each of those packs, I will love every minute of the experience.

In some ways, ripping vintage packs today is even MORE enjoyable than it was when I was a kid. Now, the thrill of the hunt has doubled --- you chase both the stars AND you chase possible PSA gems. It's twice the fun!

I continue to support group busts such as this. I just opened my first ever pack of 1980 football cards the other day --- something that would not have happened without our board coming together to share in the price of vintage wax.

Keep the scans and posts comin!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how you guys can see who is showing through the packs. I sure can't.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know how you guys can see who is showing through the packs. I sure can't. >>

As your looking at the back of the pack, hold/squeeze/push the wax wrapper on the bottom of the pack as close as possible to the card showing. The last few letters of the first name and most of the last name should be visible. I could see the name clearly unless a league leader of a mvp card was showing.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    There are some trolls with no dog in this fight and there only purpose is to flame.

But lets not gloss over the stunning lack of gradeable cards so far. I am glad most went into to this for the fun of it as if buying a scratch-off ticket.

But I know I would have hoped with a sealed case that I was going to get some real blazers. Its still early and this could change but it does not look
    promising. Many of us standing on the sidelines wait with the same anticipation for scans as the buyers do.

After looking at current and closed auctions for 75 mini there seems to be some wiggle room for centering and cut issues but a case with
    %95 o/c or d-cut?

Maybe someone could buy a 6 pack 75 mini group from Mark Murphy for about the same amount and rip those and post the results?

Just to have something to compare these too. I was prepared to jump all over a nice Carew dripping with gloss and color.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Here are the best of my scans from my 12 pack lot, no huge names, but some decent cards. Had 2 commons that I thought were worth sending in. Some cards not pictured are Griffey, Garvey, and Baker that are too off center for grading.

The Brock is the best, really good centering, sharp corners, nice finish.

A slight diamond cut and a print spot.

didn't want these to get lost in the bickering. Some nice cards.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    1 or 2 commons worth grading as well

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>If I had the spare cash - I would have been there.

Heck, early this year I bought some vending from BBCEx and in the first two boxes - most all the cards were OC! And then this guy popped up!

mike >>

Stone, are you talking about this "made it all good" from getting your money's worth or that it's just a nice card?

I think if I were ripping a box or several vintage packs, the best scenario would be to have ONE card that pays for the whole thing (or close to it) and then have fun with all of the other cards.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the brock oc tb?
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I applaud you guys for opening these great packs and accepting them for what they are. As a 70's collector, this thread has been great fun to follow. I can't understand the bashers that butt into these threads. If you don't like or understand the topic, then stay away. Again, thanks for allowing us in on the funimage

Robert
  • Options
    As an experiment, I decided to open a pack from my collection to compare how the centering is vs this case. It was better, though not steller. No stars but some gradeable cards.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I had the spare cash - I would have been there.

mike >>

Stone, are you talking about this "made it all good" from getting your money's worth or that it's just a nice card?

I think if I were ripping a box or several vintage packs, the best scenario would be to have ONE card that pays for the whole thing (or close to it) and then have fun with all of the other cards. >>

Buc
    I'm talking about the reward of a great RC - no monetary reward required.

My best friend just shot his first hole in one this past weekend - it cost him 70 bucks to play - I know you get my drift.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>But lets not gloss over the stunning lack of gradeable cards so far. I am glad most went into to this for the fun of it as if buying a scratch-off ticket. >>

Carew
    Believe me, it's hard not to see how this has been going.

But, we owe our friends here the same deference we would extend to people at our homes.

"Gee guys, I'm sorry to see these results - they coulda been better" type statement.

Some seem to think, just because this is an electronic chat board that common courtesy isn't necessary - as if they weren't real people.

As I said, we put good money out for this hobby and no one wants it jammed up their ass that they got crap for their hard earned money.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>As an experiment, I decided to open a pack from my collection to compare how the centering is vs this case. It was better, though not steller. No stars but some gradeable cards. >>

gemint

This just makes one appreciate the nicely centered cards that are out there.

But, to be honest, back in 1975, I didn't give a great deal of thought to centering - heck I wasn't even nuts about it in 1989! It wasn't until graded cards came out that I started to really focus in on it.

thanx for taking the time and using one of your packs to make the check - very classy.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    I think gemint test shows that 75 Minis were just a tough year.

The cutting machines probably just did not center the sheets as well a normal sized issues.

Someone stated that is showes the value of a solid, centered PSA 8/9 and I agree.

Stone,
    I agree. Lets just make sure we dont stifle honest talk about the rip and what can be learned.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

<< <i>I think gemint test shows that 75 Minis were just a tough year.

The cutting machines probably just did not center the sheets as well a normal sized issues.

Someone stated that is showes the value of a solid, centered PSA 8/9 and I agree.

Stone,
    I agree. Lets just make sure we dont stifle honest talk about the rip and what can be learned. >>

Agree Carew

Heck I like Boo and we don't agree on everything - and he sure gets his point across! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew,

Here is a Carew I pulled from a mini I ripped a few months back.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes it's been a very interesting thread. The 1975 minis are cool, but I just never really had any great interest in them, so I didn't participate in the purchase. But any future "deals" here I will certainly most likely participate, especially if it was a 1960's type situation, which of course I know would be much more expensive for each participant.

This has been discussed on this forum a number of times...valuewise, it doesn't pay to rip - period. The long term chances of losing money ripping too many packs is probably very close to 100%, if not 100%. As Stone has implied - you do it for the fun of it, and if you get a key card, well then that's a bonus. No sense complaining about it.

One day I would love to rip a 1962 Topps baseball pack - and one day I will. I would have done it by now - the problem is that I don't trust GAI. Too many horror stories. I seriously wouldn't mind at all if I ripped a 1962 wax pack and got 5 off centered commons - I wouldn't "like" it...but I wouldn't mind it. As long as I was convinced that it was an honest sealed pack! It would irritate me to no end if I knew it was a resealed pack! And that's why I haven't done it yet - to avoid the irritation, especially knowing that, in my opinion, GAI slabbed wax packs from the 1960's are mostly basically frauds.

I couldn't care less about "grading" of wax packs whether I get a 6 or an 8 or whatever the wax pack is graded, because I will buy it with the full intention of ripping. I hope PSA realizes with slabbing wax packs that the single most important consideration, by far, is AUTHENTICATION to make sure the pack has not been resealed.

Steve
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention 1962s. I just told zef how I had purchased hundred of 'bricks' of 1962 commons from a vendor case about 15 years ago. Obviously, no big stars because they had been pulled, but the cards were razor sharp and straight as arrows. I sold most of them to eager buyers at a local show for over double what I had paid.....wish I had them back because it was well before the PSAs etal. and those cards were all solid 8+/9s, and probably a few 10s for good measure.image

• Options
    I think it would be fun to pool together to buy a 1972 baseball wax box from any series other than series 2. Maybe that could be our next pack ripping venture?
  • Options
    Houston, the eagle has landed image

Will rip and post later tonight.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    count me in , I ripped a 73 pack last night because it was killing me to watch you guys , also did some other opc's as well!!