Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with soft. Though only a few packs ahve been opened so far, this case so far doesn't seem too promising in the way of gradeable cards. Quality control seems especially poor on those miscuts (though they are interesting conversation pieces). Don't think, though, that Topps had even the foggiest idea back in '75 that this case, with a total retail value of $129.60, would someday sell for 23K!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the quality control manager at Topps that year was still lost in the fog of the 60's drug scene.
  • Options
    If any of you guys ever do the same thing with reg. issue 75 Topps packs, I am definately in!
    Looks like lots of fun!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I can see the EBAY listing copy now:

"These packs are guaranteed unsearched."

"These packs are guaranteed NOT to have come
    from the October 4, 2006 BBCE CU PSA Case Break."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wasn't one of the concepts of third party card grading born of the fact that there were gross variances in the quality of cards produced and distributed by manufacturers such as Topps....as a long time collector and dealer i feel that i can honestly assess that what we have seen so far from the pack busters is quite COMMON to busting packs....how many collections have you looked thru where numerous cards were terribly cut, o/c, etc...that's why the best examples are so valuable, cuz they don't really come around all that often....i say bust on, cuz somewhere along the line more beauties will be exposed and someone or maybe more than one someone will pull a magical PSA 10 star like a Ryan or Brett RC....that is what i will hope to find in one of mine
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    After seeing seeing some of the cards so far, I would not open any more packs. Grade them and sell them.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    This seems to be typical topps runs back then. Instead of throwing out the junk they just put it in with the good stuff and sell it. Next time you rip a rack pack look for this. Of the 3 panels there will be on panel centered, one panel completely OC and, one panel boarderline. This is my experience with topps back then.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosox1976,

What do you think the Carter RC will grade? The centering looks close to perfect. What about corners, surface, and print defects?

Better yet, how about a real good close up scan?

Shane

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    does ups run on saturdays? if so whats my chances of getting my packs in georgia today?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FrankHardy:

Here is how I would grade these two -

Carter:

Centering 9.5
    Corners 8.5
    Edges 8 (bottom edge - chip under the "g" in tigers)
    Surface 10

Rice:

Centering 9
    Corners 9
    Edges 9
    Surface 9.5

As for grading - as Zef noted earlier, these are tightly wrapped and a fair amount have a tiny tear at one or two corners - which will grade an 8 under the posted PSA grading standards (at best). I'll probably open all of the reamining with a tear - and grade the perfect looking ones (9's & 10's).

I think the Aaron 660 is an easy 8 too.

The Bench was the biggest bummer:

Centering 6
    Corners 10
    Edges 10
    Surface 9.5

Actually not disheartened. Those of you busting these should know that there are definitely 10's in these packs, just will come down to a crapshoot on centering.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any Brett sightings yet? Even if it is only half of him ?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On second thought, I am done ripping my box. Nauseating.

Brett:

Centering 5
    Corners 9.5
    Edges 9
    Surface 10

Thurman will probably roll over in his grave when he sees this travesty...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    i know for a fact that Munson never played for the Orioles imageimage
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I am still bummed that I could not be a part of this rip.

If anyone has Pirates that they would not grade, shoot me a PM. I would like to buy some for my Pirates binder. Also, keep me in mind if you get any graded. and you want to sell them.

Thanks - Jim
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    For you guys that are going to be slabbing the packs unopened (and selling them??), are you to mention this case break and quality of cards you might expect?
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>does ups run on saturdays? if so whats my chances of getting my packs in georgia today? >>

And what about Columbus Day? Does anybody other than the government and bank tellers get this pointless "holiday" off?

• Options
    kadokakid: been meaning to say this for a while but I really wish you would chose another avatar instead of the one I uploaded. For some, the identity of a person here is recognized by the avatar. Thanks.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For you guys that are going to be slabbing the packs unopened (and selling them??), are you to mention this case break and quality of cards you might expect? >>

According to a previous post - this is what you can expect from just about any unopened vintage material - am I right on that?

If that's the case, then why would you have to mention it.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>does ups run on saturdays? if so whats my chances of getting my packs in georgia today? >>

And what about Columbus Day? Does anybody other than the government and bank tellers get this pointless "holiday" off? >>

no UPS on Saturday, business as usual on Columbus Day
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    According to a previous post - this is what you can expect from just about any unopened vintage material - am I right on that?

If that's the case, then why would you have to mention it. >>

thats right .... there have been some quality cards pulled so far. The Rice, Brock to name two. There is no reason and no obligation for a seller to state that miscuts are a good possibility. Because they are in ANY unopened from this time period.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I have seen 75's miscut, but NEVER that bad wow!!
  • Options

Agree with frankhardy & soft on this one. These issues are not unique or unusual for Topps product of this era and there are some nice cards in the mix, too. The Carter RC looks like a surefire 9 to me. Sorry to see the Brett centering, but 75 is TOUGH for high graded cards and the price bears that out. The average cost of a mint unopened pack is in the $50 range but a PSA 10 Brett (which was pulled by a collector from an unopened rack pack earlier this year) sold for for 8K on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have opend 3 full boxes of this stuff in the last 4 years. I never had anything as bad as what Im seeing. This looks a little unaverage if you ask me. I wouldnt open anymore packs from this case if I had some.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have opend 3 full boxes of this stuff in the last 4 years. I never had anything as bad as what Im seeing. This looks a little unaverage if you ask me. I wouldnt open anymore packs from this case if I had some. >>

I agree. It could be possible that the entire case will have the same centering issues. Just a thought.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems a little odd, I wonder if this was one of the cases sold at the end of the year. Maybe a little less quality of stuff if so? But I never once had a card that was centered worse that 90-10, and maybe only 30-40 diamond cuts.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have opend 3 full boxes of this stuff in the last 4 years. I never had anything as bad as what Im seeing. This looks a little unaverage if you ask me. I wouldnt open anymore packs from this case if I had some. >>

I agree. It could be possible that the entire case will have the same centering issues. Just a thought. >>

Which was my point. But I'll guess we'll see next week.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree. It could be possible that the entire case will have the same centering issues. Just a thought. >>

How about asking Steve if he has any experience with an entire case break.

Do entire cases have a consistent "run" to them?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I have opened a few boxes of both regular and mini 75's over the past few years, and the word "crapshoot" seems to best describe what I got. I had a box which seemed hopeless at the beginning yield a few nice cards, buried in the middle of a few packs near the bottom of the box. But, while I have seen miscuts like the ones shown here before, those are among the most extreme examples I've seen pulled from packs. Does that mean the case is filled with them? Not necessarily...don't give up hope yet.
  • Options

<< <i>For what it's worth, I have opened a few boxes of both regular and mini 75's over the past few years, and the word "crapshoot" seems to best describe what I got. I had a box which seemed hopeless at the beginning yield a few nice cards, buried in the middle of a few packs near the bottom of the box. But, while I have seen miscuts like the ones shown here before, those are among the most extreme examples I've seen pulled from packs. Does that mean the case is filled with them? Not necessarily...don't give up hope yet. >>

That's right - it aint over till tha fat lady sings.

Mike
  • Options
    Although some of the cards are very disappointing (diamond cuts are even worse than o/c side to side IMO), the Rice, Carter, and Brock cards are beauties! Are we getting carried away with thinking all the cards would be just about perfect? This break could simply reinforce how tough it is to get high quality 75 mini's - potentially making nice ones even more valuable? I can't wait to open mine!!!!
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    This break could simply reinforce how tough it is to get high quality 75 mini's - potentially making nice ones even more valuable? I can't wait to open mine!!!!

me too!
    nice rice back there. i love those miscuts so typical of the '75's . keep ripping and keep scanning. dont save them . i bet we end up doing this again sometime.
    Bob
  • Options
    I will be receiving a full box plus 6 additional packs. I may have 2 or 3 of the nicest packs graded but for the most part I will be opening all of mine. I am not scared of what I have seen so far as there were some nice pulls. Just like in life you must sift through some crap to get to the gold. If you originally planned to rip then rip otherwise you will always wonder and that is no fun. Better to have ripped and lost than never ripped at all. No fart jokes please. If you call yourself a ripper then do the deed. Don’t be a phony image
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    NY

Good luck!

My take? One can always pick up nice copies on ebay...

But this is excitement! A gamble? Yes.

But, one can't have the same kind of thrill buying it outright on ebay IMO.

It's how I feel every year when I buy Heritage!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    i am ripping all 6 packs. if 30 cards are miscut that still gives me 30 more that should be worth grading! cant wait till monday
  • Options

<< <i>I can see the EBAY listing copy now:

"These packs are guaranteed unsearched."

"These packs are guaranteed NOT to have come
    from the October 4, 2006 BBCE CU PSA Case Break."

image >>

Also reminded on what I just read and what I have been meaning to do and hopefuuly they are reading......I stole this avatar from someone a while back. Sorry, I couldnt resist.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Heck, I'm leaning towards ripping mine, looking through the miscuts but just finding ONE centered Brett! Who can say?
  • Options
    ripping all 6 here. I have 2 unopened regular cellos I might rip too!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>According to a previous post - this is what you can expect from just about any unopened vintage material - am I right on that?

Agree with frankhardy & soft on this one. These issues are not unique or unusual for Topps product of this era and there are some nice cards in the mix, too. The Carter RC looks like a surefire 9 to me. Sorry to see the Brett centering, but 75 is TOUGH for high graded cards and the price bears that out. The average cost of a mint unopened pack is in the $50 range but a PSA 10 Brett (which was pulled by a collector from an unopened rack pack earlier this year) sold for for 8K on ebay. >>

I would second this. It isn't a seller's responsibility to tell the world why he's selling a pack. So long as it's unsearched then the buyer is getting what he payed for.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is.............I hope there is mail on columbus day..........image
  • Options
    << On a side note, 80s looks like he hasn't slept in days >>

Well I feel like I haven't slept in days.
    9/29 5:00 pm left california
    9/31 stopped in nebraska bought a case of 79 and 80 topps baseball
    10/2 next stop indianapolis bought case and a half of 84 topps football
    10/3 dearborn Michigan picked up a 73 and 74 topps baseball box along with alot of raw 52 topps
    10/4 arrived at steves wherehouse took a tour and spent another 4 grand (made steve happy)while waiting for zef to arrive
    broke the case and picked my box
    10/6 gallup new mexico picked up another 80s topps baseball case
    10/7 5:00pm 5453 miles later I'm home.

The only bad part of the trip 9 wonderful days and 14 states and 40 miles from home i get a speeding ticket

Yeah I havent slept in days and feel like i've been ran over a few times. But I see all these beuatiful cases I just unloaded and this trip was worth it. All because of this damnn 75 case break.

I would do it again 100 timesimage

Thanks again Zef it was great meeting you and thanks steve for all the great deals.

Had to show of this sweet 74 box I picked up on the trip
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>The only bad part of the trip 9 wonderful days and 14 states and 40 miles from home i get a speeding ticket >>

Good to hear you made it home safe and sound anyway, 80s. Thanks again for all of your efforts in planning this and getting it done!

You all deserve a round of applause...

image.image
    image.image.image
  • Options
    Good to hear you made it home safe and sound anyway, 80s. Thanks again for all of your efforts in planning this and getting it done!

You all deserve a round of applause...

I agree. Way to go 80s Topps! image

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80s,

So how'd you make out with your packs?
  • Options
    Thanx for the pics 80sJ

I'm with gemint - would like to see how the packs turned out?

This has been very entertaining.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Heres the deal. I want to buy 2 packs. Opened with the wrapper and gum needed for authentication. Here me out before you think bad thoughts. My boys collect. I let them pick from sealed envelopes filled with 06 Dodgers and various cards. Ages 11 and 4. I want packs I can reseal with a ---- and put in envelopes. I dont need all the cards that came in the pack maybe 4 or so and condition is not a factor at all but I would request one Dodger in each pack. I really cant trade much so Paypal is the way. I know them getting a pack from 1975 will seem significant even thought it is improperly represented. I can hear it now "Dad remember when you gave us a searched pack? " Anyone interested? Cheaper ther better. PM me or smoke signals or whatever.

80's junkie-Wow! I only wish I had the means to do that. To get to see all those packs even if not to be able to open them all still has to be exciting. I was born in 74 and had a 74 (GAI wax) I had to sell (damn FF) but those always seem special to me and thank you for sharing the pics. With these and ones Stone posted on the 52's I can enjoy the pics just the same. Gotta go, Dodgers lost,beers warm,outta money.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "........condition is not a factor at all but I would request one Dodger in each pack."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Would it be OK if the top part of the card was
    a Dodger and the bottom part was another
    team?

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    I sent one of our fellow board members two packs that were wrapped but the acks were opened. A 1985 topps pack and a 1978 OPC pack, I filled them both with just reds cards, which he collects, but didnt reseal them just let the backs open a bit. Boy was he surprised!
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭
    No USPS mail on Columbus Day.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I think the post office is closed also.....I can't even send in the submission I'm working on....image
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No USPS mail on Columbus Day. >>

These are supposed to arrive UPS, not USPS...