Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Mini Case Break - GRADES anyone???

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Zef, bummer 'bout those DC's - mebbe I open one of my packs, and if I gets the same deal, I leave the others sealed? We'll see. image

Oh, and to anyone who got themselves a whole box and would be interested in selling the empty cardboard box, I would love a PM. Give first dibs to the other guy in this thread who mentioned it tho - I got the idea from him. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be useful for the pack rippers to record the sequencing of their cards to create a master sequence list? Such a list would be available to the involved parties. Just a suggestion, as it would be incredible information to have and perhapps a rare opportunity to capture the data.

-Scott >>

I'm sorry but I am completely against that and will not post my sequence. While your intentions may be for the good, too many bad things could come from it.

If anyone posts theirs, just remember that you are assisting pack searchers!!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stown:

I agree with your concerns on the pack searches. It is for that reason that I don't sell my empty wax boxes. An empty wax box and a sequence list in the hands of a pack searcher spells trouble. The unfortunate thing is that it really would be great data to accumulate.

Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    So does diamond cuts like that mean the whole case could be that off center? or just a couple of boxes?

Im ripping mine anway but i dont know much about DC
  • Options
    Uhhh... I'm lost as to why my wanting to have a '75 empty box for my collection "assists" pack searchers.

Guess I'd better burn the one empty '65 Topps box I have - wouldn't wanna assist any of those searchers of all those unopened '65 packs.

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Don't take the statement that having an empty box as a blanket statement that ALL people with empty boxes are repackagers.

However......
    There ARE people that buy empty boxes, empty wrappers, and DO repackage cards. I hope nobody on here.....but if someone would come across a thread discussing pack distribution who IS a repackager, then we ARE aiding these scammers.

Maybe if you guys did talk about pack order...etc. it might be good to do it via PM.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    Chances are I'm completely off-base, but ...

Wouldn't sequential order or a system of predicting cards require another case-fresh box of packs to be accurate? If someone opens a whole box of '75 Mini's and keeps track of where certain cards get pulled wouldn't that only be useful to someone who has another case-fresh wax box of '75 Minis?

I'm guessing these cases aren't exactly floating around. Then again, I don't know my ass from my elbow.

Arthur
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from not wanting to establish a way for people to pick cello boxes clean of star cards, I think it's pointless for people to try. I've never tried to analyze it, but I'm pretty sure there is no sequence to vintage packs. If there is, it's not a fullproof method because I recall opening a lot of packs back in that era and my duplicates did not occur in any order. In other words, I might get a duplicate of a particular card, but not of adjacent cards in the packs.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    based on what I"ve just read please ignore my previous message saying I would supply info on my opened packs. I won't provide any data on the packs I open. I didn't realize that someone could actually take that info and search packs.....you learn something new everyday........

al.
  • Options
    f2tornadof2tornado Posts: 180 ✭✭
    I can't speak for vintage but I do know fresh, unmixed, untampered 1989 Upper Deck boxes have a pattern where you can easily find the the Griffey card. This is why nobody should ever buy an unsealed box or loose packs of this particular product. 1991 Stadium Club football has a certain distribution I will not disclose where you can easily pick out the Brett Favre card. It is another product I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I confess, I bought a few "thicker" retail packs in my time and some of those jersey cards. Some really unscupulous sellers actually weigh packs of cards to the nearest gram or smaller increment. Just the added sticker on an autographed card can tip a sensitive scale. The leftover packs are often found on eBay. Pack buying these days is getting really spooky unless you land a sealed case (and who is to say those seals are not faked). This whole converstaion makes me want to never buy a pack again but I know I will.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I know when I started collecting (1987) that all of those packs had a pattern.

The best was going to Wal Mart in 1988 when they had like 50 cases of score lined up on the front wall and my brother and I would look at the front and back of those packs and be able to know which ones had Greg Jeffries. Glad I spent all my time doing that!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    Sadly the 89 Fleer has sequences so people can cherry pick those. There is a few times the sequences were changed I found but appears to be a handful of cards were grabbed and switched as there was no consistency. Unsure of vintage sequences.

To clear my name (just in case), earlier I asked about the empty box,I meant the case box as it was sitting on the stack to mail out. I know some people who keep items like that to display with their unopened collections. I wish I could refill it with searched packs and get 25K. JK
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Chances are I'm completely off-base, but ...

Wouldn't sequential order or a system of predicting cards require another case-fresh box of packs to be accurate? If someone opens a whole box of '75 Mini's and keeps track of where certain cards get pulled wouldn't that only be useful to someone who has another case-fresh wax box of '75 Minis?

I'm guessing these cases aren't exactly floating around. Then again, I don't know my ass from my elbow.

Arthur >>

Not confirmed by me but I have been told where to pull a FF version from a wax box. The cello and rack collation patterns differ from each other in 89 Fleer. I'll PM the rest.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I remember the 89 Fleer having a pattern. Dealers used to have to put cardboard over opened cello and rack boxes and make buyers reach under the cardboard and grab a pack randomly to prevent them from cherry picking the packs.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember the 89 Fleer having a pattern. Dealers used to have to put cardboard over opened cello and rack boxes and make buyers reach under the cardboard and grab a pack randomly to prevent them from cherry picking the packs. >>

Or they were hiding the fact that they searched the boxes and this way you wouldnt know. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Wacky stuff. Well, suffice to say I'm not a pack-repackager, I would just enjoy having an empty '75 mini box in my collection. Seems silly to have to even think of discarding, destroying or not selling these because someone who bought one might possibly fill them with rewrapped packs. JMO.
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Zef:

Thanks for putting this together.

Good luck this weekend, hope you have a great wedding!!!!

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be useful for the pack rippers to record the sequencing of their cards to create a master sequence list? Such a list would be available to the involved parties. Just a suggestion, as it would be incredible information to have and perhapps a rare opportunity to capture the data.

-Scott >>

I just received my full box, and yes, I'll carefully record the sequence of not only each pack, but where the pack sequence was also located in the box itself.......IF I DECIDE TO OPEN ANYWAY.

Here's to hoping everyone's remaning cards are all PSA10s, and that I have 3-5 of all the premium cards in PSA9 or better......image

Also, of note, is that this box was 100% virgin, IMO. I carefully opened and tipped up several of the packs and they were just slightly "tacky" against the other packs, i.e., the packs in the box had not been moved or switched out.

So, whatever I decide, thanks Zef, and thanks Steve/BBCE for setting this case break up! image

And Zef, if my wife contacts you, I've had these cards since around 1980 or so when I bought out John Hipps' bulk cards......imageimage

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacCrimmon,

What state do you live in? You already have yours? That's pretty quick. I live in KY, so Chicago isn't all that far. Can I expect mine today, ya think?

Shane

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I am pretty sure mine are at my house (i live in same area code as BBEC).

I will post scans 2nite, I am very excited to see how we all fair.

Thanks Zef & Steve for hard work.

Julen
    T
    G
    I
    F
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well guys

I'm really looking forward to scans.

I know there's a few 10s in all those cards!

Good luck!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I'm in Parma Ohio, right outside of Cleveland and didn't receive a package todayimage
  • Options

Here's the problem with the above statement...

ANY pack that is on the market...whether it is case fresh...or in a GAI case..or even loose can be searched if the information hits the info highway...

A dealer could have 10 packs in his whole collection....look at the list of sequence...and then say.."oh, these 2 packs have stars in them...and the rest shouldn't...so I'll rip those and just sell (or worse..reseal) the others"... and let them go out KNOWING that they contain little else.

Sequence is a major part of product searching...and has been for years....
    As for 89 Upper Deck...once a case is broken..it's a crap shoot...I don't even think they were factory wrapped in the case.

Rack packs have always been a sore spot. You used to only be able to trust sealed cases...but even those are suspect these days as 1989FleerBillRipkencollector and I can both attest to after each buying cases of bogus 1989 Fleer Racks.

It never changes...I bought a rack box of 1986 Topps Football...as I am working on the #2 Registry Set. I fully intended on ripping it as it was sold as FRESH from the case.."unsearched"...
    Well...I've ripped a 1.5 cases of these the last 2 years....30 seconds after looking at my new box...I could tell it wasn't legit and didn't have any Rice rookies in it. I was granted a refund...but it was a loss of time and then I had to repack it...problem is...someone else will undoubtabley buy it from the same seller and never know the difference!!

I agree with keeping info quiet too....too much knowledge only helps the thieves....
  • Options
    Word to the above statements. Also I noticed you even had the correct caps on my name. I didnt mean to make the C in collector small,just happened. A+ for your attention to detail. There was a earlier post about possibly posting sequences....please dont. It can only cause problems. PM it to those you know who want it. Someday I might like to buy a 75 rack and want a fair chance of pulling a star.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    thats why i always just throw the wrappers away. and lets not forget about the 86 fleer basketball - i dont know the pattern but supposedly its very apparent where the jordan is in an unsearched box.
    Bob
  • Options
    Throw away the wrappers, throw away the box.... ummm, OK.
  • Options
    Actually its best to shred them as in this day and age some dumpster divers might collect.image

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Ack! Oh well, with that thinking those left will be scarcer.

And I'd still like owning an empty '75 mini box!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thats why i always just throw the wrappers away. and lets not forget about the 86 fleer basketball - i dont know the pattern but supposedly its very apparent where the jordan is in an unsearched box. >>

Even worse I believe 86 fleer bask. are in numerical order!
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    image............................I am 1 waiting mo fo.................image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahtzee!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Yahtzee! >>

Congrats! I'll probably be one of the last to get my packs being on the west coast...

Open, open, open. Scan, scan, scan!!
  • Options

<< <i>Yahtzee!

image >>

Sweet! Can't wait to get mine image
    Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.
  • Options
    ???? image ????

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Yahtzee!

image >>

OPEN SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Hey Sweet card of the cry baby.........Gary Carter that is.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>???? image ????

image >>

Wow! It's all or nothin' with these packs. Love that rookies card -- it's a beaut!
    Luck o'the draw as zef keeps sayin'...

Whatcha gonna do with those 1/1s, Mike?? image
  • Options

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bosox were those 3 cards in the same pack?

The Carter does look nice.

I was planning on busting all my packs, may open one and if it's not good, may have to slab the other packs.

Nice Rice rookie also.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>???? image ????

image >>

OUCH!!!

But I got to say I am a sick puppy cause I collect horrible miscuts like those.
  • Options
    Busting 9 tonight. Horrendous miscuts mixed in with well centered cards. Couple packs entirely centered right or left. This is all I have the stomach for tonight. Corners, edges, and surface are all 8/9/10 centering is pretty bad though.

This last batch is a bummer... All 9's or 10's if centered.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Last one, believe it or not - all 4 in the same pack!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Dang, that's brutal. At least some of the stars are aligned (centered).
  • Options
    I also like those miscuts.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, the more I see, the more I think my 9 packs are getting slabbed .... those are some of the worst cut cards I have ever freaking seen ....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    PSA is going to get lots of slab orders next week.

The ad says they will consider putting some kind
    of personalization on the slab.

Somebody should come up with a name that
    designates the October 4, 2006 BBCE CU BLB
    PSA Case Break. Maybe PSA will do it, if
    enough people request it.

storm image
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Somebody should come up with a name that
    designates the October 4, 2006 BBCE CU BLB
    PSA Case Break. Maybe PSA will do it, if
    enough people request it.

>>

I DO NOT think that is a good idea if more and more of these packs prove to be so badly cut image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>???? image ????

image >>

I can't believe that Topps would put something that bad in a pack? Where is quality control! That is horrid! Nice Carter, though.

Shane

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I DO NOT think that is a good idea if more and more of
    these packs prove to be so badly cut."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I was just thinking that we probably should ask to have
    this thread locked; with password-only access by the
    victims.

Or, maybe all images should be deleted.

imageimageimage

imageimage
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.