Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I remember Ralpk Kiner as the "play-by-play" announcer for the New York Mets in the '60's (...I don't remember too much from the 60's! Just a "flashb@ck" here and there! image

Pretty card! (... undervalued too! IMO!)

rd
  • Options
    That's an AWESOME '34 Gehrig, my fave card of him!
  • Options
    Funny how the grading of PSA 9's differs between the 1969 Topps Deckle Edge (1,259 graded examples from PSA, with only 22 PSA 9's!) and 1969 OPC Deckle (209 graded examples from PSA, with 37 PSA 9's!). Usually OPC's are the tougher ones, with the regular issues. Interesting.

rd

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    WoW. What a lode of cardboard gold.

Reading this thread is like sitting on the side of the road, watching a parade of classic cards drive by...

Thanks again for sharing the experience.

imageimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    The Senators/Twins card-type collection keeps on a'growin'...

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice Goudey. This guys' got a huge paw. image
  • Options
    Hi all

Anybody watch ESPN college football gameday ? ( Like, who does`nt !!! )

Here he is (w/dad) back when.

LEE
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    In today's mail. I just think this card is too cool!

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Pedro Guerrero... isn't that dude hanging out w/ OJ Simpson in Miami?

I think he just laid down the 3rd base line w/ a rake and has a garden hose to sniff it up!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Steelers, Very nice Bat On. PSA?
  • Options

<< <i>Steelers, Very nice Bat On. PSA? >>

FDNY,
    Yep, it's a PSA 2. Sovereign back has some paper loss near the top...
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    gosteelers-

congratulations on the Cobb. always a nice card to add to a collection, and yours looks great.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    The mailman delivered this one yesterday - a ticket stub from Game 4 of the 1929 World Series. This game is famous for the Cubs leading 8-0, then the A's scored 10 runs in the 7th inning (still a record) to win 10-8. Not in bad shape...

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭

not the best, but I traded for them and didn't have to buy them. So that makes them a little more acceptable.

take care everyone
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Nice stuff guys !

More modern crap from me to add to my set

Dave
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Hey....rdbjr, those are some awesome autographs. Ahmanfan, great cards! If you don't mind me asking, what did you trade for a '55 Williams & Mays? Do they have any creases? Beautiful cards guys.

Here's my recent addition, there are no creases...but as you can see by the slight paper loss on top and stain on bottom, there was once a piece of tape holding it into a scrapbook (the paper loss was already there unfortunately). Other than that, a fantastic card that I am very pleased with.

Thanks,

Joe

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!!

Some really superb stuff to look at.

I don't even know where to start - so I'll just say thanx for taking the time to share this stuff:

Frankhardy

RBD

Lawnmower

HoofHearted

FDNY

Speeder

GoSteelers

Scooter

Ahmanfan

Kobecollector

Airjoe

Your contributions are the backbone of what we truly enjoy day in and day out here.
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scooter

This program goes great with that ticket - which, BTW, is off the chart!

thanx!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey....rdbjr, those are some awesome autographs. Ahmanfan, great cards! If you don't mind me asking, what did you trade for a '55 Williams & Mays? Do they have any creases? Beautiful cards guys.

Here's my recent addition, there are no creases...but as you can see by the slight paper loss on top and stain on bottom, there was once a piece of tape holding it into a scrapbook (the paper loss was already there unfortunately). Other than that, a fantastic card that I am very pleased with.

Thanks,

Joe

image >>

Did my attempt to make a photo show up actually work? I can't see it -
  • Options

<< <i>image

Scooter

This program goes great with that ticket - which, BTW, is off the chart!

thanx!
    mike >>

Who has that World Series program? That's awesome - I've always liked Joe McCarthy stuff.

- Joe
  • Options
    Hey Joe, nice Mantle! Thats a super cool card of his.

The '55 Williams has a crease, the '55 mays does not but has a spot of paper loss on the back top right corner. I traded:

a t-3 dooin in fair (DANG! my only t3)
    psa 8 ewing rc
    psa 7 '59 alan ameche
    '62 topps tarkenton rc VG (dang again!)
    '62 topps berry signed
    58 topps berry
    some assorted colts cards
    and probably some other stuff I have forgotten. But I dont have to buy these cards, and it helped my set. so I was happy.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    17 Years in the Bigs! (Plus another 23 Years as a Manager!)
    9-Time All-Star!
    1971 MVP (Batted .363)
    252 Homers!
    Lifetime BA of .297

Will make the Hall? (I think he will!)

Here is Joe, right after his MVP '71 Season:

rd

• Options

<< <i>Hey Joe, nice Mantle! Thats a super cool card of his.

The '55 Williams has a crease, the '55 mays does not but has a spot of paper loss on the back top right corner. I traded:

a t-3 dooin in fair (DANG! my only t3)
    psa 8 ewing rc
    psa 7 '59 alan ameche
    '62 topps tarkenton rc VG (dang again!)
    '62 topps berry signed
    58 topps berry
    some assorted colts cards
    and probably some other stuff I have forgotten. But I dont have to buy these cards, and it helped my set. so I was happy.
    John >>

It sucks to give up a T3 and Tarkenton RC...but you got two awesome cards in exchange for it, that's for sure. Do you have the Clemente, Koufax, or Killebrew yet? I've always wanted a nice Killebrew rookie but haven't found one in my price range yet haha. I still don't think that I convinced by girlfriend that the Mantle was worth what I paid for it......though she definitely knows it makes me happy, she's considering buying me a psa membership renewal for my birthday.

- Joe
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got these today. I can't wait to get my Gehrig back. I picked these up at a show about 45 minutes away.

Shane

• Options
    Joe,
    yea it did suck giving up those 2 cards. the Tarkenton was basically my first vintage card. Oh well.
    As for your question, I do have the Clemente and Koufax cards:

About 2 years ago, before I decided to start on this set, I bought a nice Killebrew RC for I think $30 or so, it graded out a PSA 4 and I sold it. Wish I still had that card right about now.

I know this is spam,but I know a ton of great collectors read this thread, so here are the rest of the '55 topps I need if anyone can help:

4 15 16 17 19 21 25 38 63 65 80 85 92 99 100 108 112 124 125 127 139 147 152 153 155 156 159 160 161 166 177 178 180 182 185 187 189 190 191 193 195 196 197 198 200 202 204 206 207 208
    wow every time I type that it seems longer!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    wow frank great cards (especially MJ)
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a ton of cool stuff in this thread, but I wanted to single out that delicious ticket stub from the '29 Series. Notice "C. McGillicuddy Manager"...that's Connie Mack. I was doing a little research to see if I could tell where the holder sat, specifically, and it turns out that was a particularly noteworthy game.

"October 12, 1929 - Game 4 of the World Series: The A's were trailing the Chicago Cubs 8-0, but came back to win 10-8 thanks to 10 runs in the bottom of the seventh - no team has overcome an eight-run deficit, before or since: greatest comeback in World Series history. The A's go on to win in Game 5, two days later, after being down by two runs in the bottom of the ninth - outfielder Mule Haas hits a two-run homer to tie it."

According to what I could find, left field was North, so I'm guessing whoever had this sat out there for this memorable classic.
  • Options
    Make that East, which would be the right field upper deck (which ran along the first base line, right field itself didn't have any seats, it was like right at Ebbets and the Monster in Fenway...sorry for the confusion.)
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!!

Frank, those auto's are fantastic. And a Koufax rookie is near the top of my want list.

These three I just got back from PSA. Sent in 6 cards and got four 10's, not bad, even for modern day stuff. These three will be on eBay the first time any of them have a good week this year.

And now this is one of my favorites, as I'm a big Colts and Pacers fan. This brand didn't last long but the idea was cool.

shawn
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a ton of cool stuff in this thread, but I wanted to single out that delicious ticket stub from the '29 Series. Notice "C. McGillicuddy Manager"...that's Connie Mack. I was doing a little research to see if I could tell where the holder sat, specifically, and it turns out that was a particularly noteworthy game.

"October 12, 1929 - Game 4 of the World Series: The A's were trailing the Chicago Cubs 8-0, but came back to win 10-8 thanks to 10 runs in the bottom of the seventh - no team has overcome an eight-run deficit, before or since: greatest comeback in World Series history. The A's go on to win in Game 5, two days later, after being down by two runs in the bottom of the ninth - outfielder Mule Haas hits a two-run homer to tie it."

According to what I could find, left field was North, so I'm guessing whoever had this sat out there for this memorable classic. >>

Thanks for the info - I didn't know the significance of the game until after I got the ticket, but did read about that already. I'm really excited to have it now!

Stone - is that '29 World Series program in your collection?? I need to be on the lookout for one of those now - what a combo display that would make!
  • Options

<< <i>Joe,
    yea it did suck giving up those 2 cards. the Tarkenton was basically my first vintage card. Oh well.
    As for your question, I do have the Clemente and Koufax cards:

About 2 years ago, before I decided to start on this set, I bought a nice Killebrew RC for I think $30 or so, it graded out a PSA 4 and I sold it. Wish I still had that card right about now.

I know this is spam,but I know a ton of great collectors read this thread, so here are the rest of the '55 topps I need if anyone can help:

4 15 16 17 19 21 25 38 63 65 80 85 92 99 100 108 112 124 125 127 139 147 152 153 155 156 159 160 161 166 177 178 180 182 185 187 189 190 191 193 195 196 197 198 200 202 204 206 207 208
    wow every time I type that it seems longer!
    John >>

Hey.... I don't mean to be nosey again, but how much does a PSA 1 Koufax go for? Also, how much did you pay for the Clemente - that being of course, if you don't mind me asking. Those are beautiful cards, is there some hidden flaw or something making the Koufax a 1? I think you may have gotten me interested in '55 Topps as I was just searching ebay for a nice Killebrew rookie haha.

- Joe
  • Options
    LOL Joe of course I don't mind. I bought the Koufax raw for $80. It has multiple creases making it a 1. I bought it a couple years ago, when the book price was $80. Now it's $1200, but I think they still go for around the same price.
    The Clemente I paid $250 for, it has one crease on the back, it's a pretty nice card. A sure psa 2, perhaps a 3?
    I have a little starter set group if you want to get in on the '55 topps fun.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    More nice stuff!

Here's a raw 1936 National Chicle of another Senator I picked up recently:

imageimage
  • Options
    ~~ SPORTS, THE FINAL FRONTIER! ~~ WELL, MAYBE NOT! ~~

'R THESE COOL, OR WHAT?

rd

• Options
    Can't compete with the Star Trek autos, but these were included in my latest sub.

Branch is 1/1.

• Options

<< <i>Can't compete with the Star Trek autos, but these were included in my latest sub.

Branch is 1/1.

image >>

Nice eye for the Gems! It was nice to see a Viking on display. Good job!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Congrats Meathook, those '85s are soooo tough to get in PSA 9 let alone 10s!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

1996 Collector's Edge Key Kraze #3 Holofoil Kobe Bryant (approx. a 5" x 7" card)

Nothing too expensive, but interesting, none the less!

rd

• Options
    1991 UPPER DECK AWARD WINNER HOLOGRAMS #AW1 & AW4 MICHAEL JORDAN HOLOGRAMS

Bought a stack of these Hologram sheets back in 1992, of MJ !

rd

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That Lopes card is one of my favorites from my youth.
    Great cards
  • Options
    SGC surprise;

• Options
    Those 76s are awesome . . . Nice acquisitions!
  • Options
    FDNY,
    Great job on that one! Your own submission?
  • Options

<< <i>That Lopes card is one of my favorites from my youth. >>

The coolest thing about it is the detailed list of all of the steals on the back. That's Felix Millan taking the throw, isn't it?
  • Options
    Go Steelers; Thankyou. I bought it raw yes. It has an old, light "dirt smear" across the back and was thinking SGC 40. Reckon the grader was overwhelmed by the corners and edges.