Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Got this gift from MooseDog image

Thanks again for you kindness.

Matt & Tonya
    Tonya
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe

I'm gonna have to check and see if I have that Ultra card - it's a good shot of him doing - perhaps a reverse lay in?

How many RCs do you have?

2deuce

Just caught your double clutch...

The Mattern looks better than a 4! Nice pickup.

Matt

That was very generous of MooseDog!

That's what I like most about being here - is the generosity people display of their time, themselves and their collectibles!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a beauty of a Mantle, and I like the Mattern too.

Here's my most recent pickup, the corners aren't what you'd call "sharp", but no creases - I'm very happy with it.

Link
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Nice Ruth! Someday I will acquire a nice collectible PSA Ruth. Looks like you found one!

• Options
    I did! Needless to say it is my first and (probably) last Ruth. Decent appearance for a low grade = I'm a happy camper. Thanks for helping with the scan!
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Kobe

I'm gonna have to check and see if I have that Ultra card - it's a good shot of him doing - perhaps a reverse lay in?

How many RCs do you have?

Mike, i like the Ultra . It's one of my favorite Rc's of him

I have a link to my basic set im working on in my sig

Dave

• Options
    That is a great Ruth ... I'm a big fan of low grade but high appeal pre-war cards. Good stuff!
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Thanks blindflyer. It has everything I wanted in a low-grade specimen - no big creases, no distracting abrasions, no problems on the back - etc.
  • Options
    Original

I think that's a great Ruth card! Looks really nice for a 2.

I would be proud to have the card - congratulations!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    here are a few I got in today. Probably around psa 7 quality cards.
    If anyone wants to trade for them , I will for things I collect. This is not a set I collect.

thanks
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Off Topic - but this was on my door step from the U.K. My other hobby is the history and tasting of vintage mixed drinks.

Absinthe originated in Switzerland as an elixir, but is better known for its popularity in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers whose romantic associations with the drink still linger in popular culture. In its heyday, the most popular brand of absinthe worldwide was Pernod Fils. At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915 it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Numerous artists and writers living in France during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were noted absinthe drinkers and featured absinthe in their works. These include Vincent van Gogh, Édouard Manet, Guy de Maupassant and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Later authors and artists would draw from this cultural well including Pablo Picasso, Oscar Wilde and Ernest Hemingway.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited."

At 72% Alcohol, who knows what I'll be buying on ebay these next few weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>Off Topic - but this was on my door step from the U.K. My other hobby is the history and tasting of vintage mixed drinks.

Absinthe originated in Switzerland as an elixir, but is better known for its popularity in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers whose romantic associations with the drink still linger in popular culture. In its heyday, the most popular brand of absinthe worldwide was Pernod Fils. At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915 it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Numerous artists and writers living in France during the late 19th and early 20th centuries were noted absinthe drinkers and featured absinthe in their works. These include Vincent van Gogh, Édouard Manet, Guy de Maupassant and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. Later authors and artists would draw from this cultural well including Pablo Picasso, Oscar Wilde and Ernest Hemingway.

According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, "The importation of Absinthe and any other liquors or liqueurs that contain Artemisia absinthium is prohibited."

At 72% Alcohol, who knows what I'll be buying on ebay these next few weeks. >>

I'm confused tkd

If this is a banned item - how did it get past customs?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    John

That's a great Pistol Pete card! It reminds me there of the movie "One on One" with Robby Benson.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'm confused tkd

mike >>

On the shipping papers, the courier listed it as "printed matter". I think it is one of those laws on the books that isn't enforced to closely. I had seen a bottle behind the bar at a place in NYC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I'm confused tkd

mike >>

On the shipping papers, the courier listed it as "printed matter". I think it is one of those laws on the books that isn't enforced to closely. I had seen a bottle behind the bar at a place in NYC. >>

I'ld say congratulations are in order!

But, if you don't mind, let's just crack open a bottle of Bud?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I'm confused tkd

mike >>

On the shipping papers, the courier listed it as "printed matter". I think it is one of those laws on the books that isn't enforced to closely. I had seen a bottle behind the bar at a place in NYC. >>

I'ld say congratulations are in order!

But, if you don't mind, let's just crack open a bottle of Bud?

mike >>

As long as we have a couple of hot dogs to go with it
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Fresh back from PSA:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    I love the McCovey . Nice !

DP
  • Options
    Josh

You always have the best stuff!

Of course you did a great job on the Mantle and the McCovey!

Thanx for the scans!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    hey, that's steve "snapper" jones isn't it?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>hey, that's steve "snapper" jones isn't it?

Julen >>

Julen, it is him. Check out this Wikipedia article. If you click on the link at the bottom about the Dallas Chapparals, you'll see his name listed, too.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think , for cards such as that Bazooka mantle, the corners would get dinged up. Can't there be a better holder for those??

JOhn
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    You would think the corners could get dinged, but the mylar actually keeps the corners away from the plastic edges pretty well. I was smacking around a different 68 Bazooka pretty good to make sure it wouldn't be a problem... certainly a better holder design would help, but those are about the only cards in those dimensions, so I doubt they would really consider design a holder custom for them - as seldom as they are submitted.

• Options
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Josh, you sure that you want to keep that '72 Cash? image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    LOVE that Bazooka Mantle - very cherry. Someone did an excellent job of cutting it and preserving it.

It makes me wish I was around at the time to purchase and trim them myself, only two problems: it would be better if I were to leave the box intact (would've been unlikely) and unfortunately, though I'd have done a careful job of cutting, I probably would've opted to cut away all dotted lines, borders and the like.

Oh well! Guess I was born in '71 and must live with it. image
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    Nice Matty FD!

I hope to pick one up some day.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    How is the T3 altered? I can't wait for the inserts to see what kind of other stuff is going to fit into those holders now?
    Its been kind of slow and I did manage to get another mailbox to replace th stolen one!
    From our own onefasttalon AKA Chris Sabo collector
    I was hoping this was going to be in the box today but I guess Mondayimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Mom bought me a LIFE magazine from 1937 at the flea market last weekend for my B-Day. Here are a few scans.
    The Gashouse Gang.

Pepper Martin striking a pose

Dizzy Dean (not in camp) with wife holding out for $50,000. Daffy Dean giving himself a scrub.

Pepper games, wrestling, and boxing. All seem to be lead on by Pepper Martin

Frisch ponders over his lineup. Also states that Frisch fined Pepper Martin $200 for staying out past midnite.

Also pictures of Leo Durocher and Ducky Medwick's wives watching from the bench.
    Mickey Owen gets a manicure in exhange for an autograph baseball.
    Walter Alston gets teased about his "poolroom tan".

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Your mom rocks, Ben! And happy belated birthday.

Man, I've always wanted to try absinthe. Let us know how it is, tkd. Assuming you're still around, that is, and not in Tahiti painting and spreading VD or something.

I'm really angry with my mail situation. Seems like I'm waiting on a ton of cool stuff. But heck, I've been so busy this week that I haven't had any time to scan the few cards that have arrived. Vow to do that tonight.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    tkd; that Matty is held together with old tape along the back. That is why PSA wouldn't assign a number grade.
  • Options
    Ben

Happy birthday! That's a great mag to get from your mom - I can't believe the shower shot!
    I didn't think they would take a shot like that in 1937!

Thanx for taking the time to scan it.
    I enjoyed the pics
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking that, too. Seems very risque for 1937.

Anyway, here's my new E93's, which I earlier freed from their lowgraded SGC holders. The marks on back are grade killers, but the fronts look fabulous. I love cards like that.

A few new T206's also arrived this week. Here's my two favorites:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice cards yawie. Love the Hindu back.

I'll let you know how the absinthe is. Haven't opened it yet. I'm waiting for the right time.
  • Options
    Nice cards!
    The Burch pose looks Ruthish. Great color on that one as well.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a Killebrew item I have been chasing for over seven years. I spent way too much on it, but it's my birthday this week too.

Happy birthday to me!

JoeBanzai

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a Killebrew item I have been chasing for over seven years. I spent way too much on it, but it's my birthday this week too.

Happy birthday to me!

JoeBanzai

image >>

Glad you finally got it! How much does something like this go for? If you dont mind of course.
  • Options
    What year is the Killebrew mug? Mid-60s?

Thanks again for the Cowboys photo, LMM!
  • Options

<< <i>What year is the Killebrew mug? Mid-60s?

Thanks again for the Cowboys photo, LMM! >>

Sure, your welcome.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the story; A friend of mine had it within reach at a flea market 8 years ago, it was marked $5.00. He was on the lookout for me and would have sold it to me for $20.00 or so, but another collector I know grabbed it and wouldn't part with it.

Ever since then, I have been looking for one of these cups and have even asked my cousin who is ALWAYS going to sales to look for it, with no luck.

Got it tonight on eBay for $256.01, which was less than $20.00 under my high bid.

I really wish my buddy would have been a little quicker 8 years ago!

JoeBanzai

Cup was an early 1960's issue and a scarce one at that.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    That's a *great* Killebrew mug. Congrats on finding it after so many years!
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the story; A friend of mine had it within reach at a flea market 8 years ago, it was marked $5.00. He was on the lookout for me and would have sold it to me for $20.00 or so, but another collector I know grabbed it and wouldn't part with it.

Ever since then, I have been looking for one of these cups and have even asked my cousin who is ALWAYS going to sales to look for it, with no luck.

Got it tonight on eBay for $256.01, which was less than $20.00 under my high bid.

I really wish my buddy would have been a little quicker 8 years ago!

JoeBanzai

Cup was an early 1960's issue and a scarce one at that. >>

Like I said before, congrats. Thats some serious coinage! I have a 70's something Pete Rose glass. image I wonder what I could get for that?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here's one I just got that I am quite happy with. The centering on this card is usually a beotch.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Here's one I just got that I am quite happy with. The centering on this card is usually a beotch.

image >>

What do you think that would grade at? I'm trying to improve my eye for raw. Thanks
  • Options
    Looks like a cherry card, zef. Very nice appearance.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think that would grade at? I'm trying to improve my eye for raw. Thanks >>

I'm hoping for an 8. I think the 2 upper corner touches will keep it fro a 9. If they think the bottom corners are touched it may be a 7. I think it would be a crime if it gets a 7.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What do you think that would grade at? I'm trying to improve my eye for raw. Thanks >>

I'm hoping for an 8. I think the 2 upper corner touches will keep it fro a 9. If they think the bottom corners are touched it may be a 7. I think it would be a crime if it gets a 7. >>

I say 7, only because of chipping in the yellow. Could be a lower 8. Doesn't take away from the fact that this card is in great shape, though.

-Ian
  • Options
    Don't know about the chipping on the bottom. Here's a closer look...

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Joe

First, Happy Birthday!

I don't think you paid too much if the item is extremely rare, hard to find and you're happy with it.

I like it!

Where does it come from? Did he have a dinner or something?

Congratulations on picking up a hard to find item.
    mike
    Mike