Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Stone. These are part of my personal collection. The '73s came from a factory fresh set I purchased on ebay 7-8 years ago for $700. It's been very good to me. Ryan, Gossage, Schmidt, Garvey, F Robby, Rose and more in PSA 9 came from this set! You don't see deals like that any more. I wish I had been a more active buyer during that time.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    The Phillippe T206 I bought on ebay for $50.00 so I was happy it came back a 5. He is a relative (or was a relative) so his are really the only tobacco cards I am collecting. I do have several other T206 and T205 cards of other players though. I just can't seem NOT to buy these old cards when I see a good deal.
    I am just waiting for a $5.00 special on Pre-1920 cards! I won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    Recently got these Mattinglys:

imageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfie

Nice Mattys

I was a big fan of the sportflics - unfortunately they don't scan well.

Some day all our cards will be projected holograms or something.

No paper, no PSA, no condition sensitive issues?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    Stone,

I really like the Sportflics too. I don't think this one scaned too bad. It almost looks like a ghost image of Mattingly, and I like that. I was glad to get the the UD too. I remember colleting the set, and really wanted it. I don't win too many Mattinglys anymore with all the new collectors that have started collecting his cards now.
  • Options
    Only excitement outta my whole weekend.

• Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    First one in todays mail . Other 2 recieved past week

Puts me over 7% completed in the basic set with still a ways to go lol

• Options
    Appologize for the huge scans guys

DP
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Got lucky and won some (all?) SLU/Kenner Kirby cards for cheap in one lot. They range from 1988 to 1993. I'll probably be sending these in to be graded during a monthly special...

imageimage
  • Options
    3,109 posts -- this finally passed the "PSA Registry Forum" Nolan Ryan thread at 3,085 posts! Both are outstanding examples of our passion for the hobby.

Thanks for sharing everyone!
  • Options

<< <i>Only excitement outta my whole weekend >>

Ben
    Sweet card! I like the back too.

The way mine is going - I'll take your excitement any day!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike

Those Kirby SLU's are really nice!

Are the corners as good as they look in the scans?

I wonder if this is gonna be a trend - people cracking SLUs for the cards?

The cards would probably be considered SPs in contrast to the regular pack issued cards.

I'm looking thru my SLUs this weekend.

I have no idea how many I have?
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Kobe

I had never seem the skybox premium RC of Bryant. Those 10s are nice!

Interesting what they did with the background.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Those Kirby SLU's are really nice!

Are the corners as good as they look in the scans?

I wonder if this is gonna be a trend - people cracking SLUs for the cards?

The cards would probably be considered SPs in contrast to the regular pack issued cards.

I'm looking thru my SLUs this weekend.

I have no idea how many I have?
    thanx for sharing
    mike >>

The storyline in the auction was that these cards (plus others he was offering) came from someone at Kenner. The corners are all strong except for the lower right of the 1988 card. I've got 4 SLUs of Kirby (purchased a year or two ago on eBay), including the '88. However, the card in my unopened figure has 4 bent-up corners. What is the general condition of the cards in your SLUs?? Here are the four I own:

• Options
    Mike

I've never looked real close at the card corners.

I just looked at a 99 SLU Chipper Jones - card is weak.

A 98 SLU Glavine - very strong.

So, I guess it will vary.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Only excitement outta my whole weekend. >>

If it's from a T206, then it's all that you'll need - hobbywise, of course. image
  • Options
    Mike B,
    Nice Puckett SLU's and cards. My buddy would be totally jealous. He just put his registry (#7 JCOLE) this week. Must be difficult to pull them out without damaging them.

My most recent pick up, somewhat OT. Pearl Jam poster. A favorite band of mine from my teenage years that i gave up on.
    Saw them in Vegas while on my honeymoon at the MGM. Absolutely incredible show, so glad i went. The small L.E. artwork posters they sell at the concerts are quite valuable as well. Wish i would of bought one for $35, the same one from the vegas show are on Ebay going for $80-$100.
    Thought i'd mention this after hearing something about Vedder being a card collector along with the Mookie Blaylock tie in.

Ben

• Options

<< <i>Mike B,
    Nice Puckett SLU's and cards. My buddy would be totally jealous. He just put his registry (#7 JCOLE) this week. Must be difficult to pull them out without damaging them.

My most recent pick up, somewhat OT. Pearl Jam poster. A favorite band of mine from my teenage years that i gave up on.
    Saw them in Vegas while on my honeymoon at the MGM. Absolutely incredible show, so glad i went. The small L.E. artwork posters they sell at the concerts are quite valuable as well. Wish i would of bought one for $35, the same one from the vegas show are on Ebay going for $80-$100.
    Thought i'd mention this after hearing something about Vedder being a card collector along with the Mookie Blaylock tie in.

Ben >>

Ben,

Thanks for the thought. I tried to find any Kenner Registry sets and found only one (1988) with just a couple entries. Do you have a link or directions on how to find your friend's set??

Nice Pearl Jam poster! I'm a big music fan, too. I've never gotten into posters -- maybe a T-shirt now and then -- at concerts. I've always thought I was paying out the nose for the tickets and didn't feel like forking out big bucks for anything else. Maybe Stone will play us a song or two while we check out the new cards here...

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Threw this one in my last submission on a whim. I really don't grade moderns very often, but knew this was a killer card. Consider it thread spam I guess.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect them, but Pearl Jam posters are huge. Not quite Phish posters, of course, but both have their own dedicated following. Anyway, congrats on the wedding and honeymoon, Ben. We actually tied the knot in Vegas - I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone considering something as foolish as marriage - and I won $400 that night, which was pretty damn cool.

Nice score on the Bliss, too. I think I had that one tracked, but was happy to see you win it.

Here was my big arrival of the week:

I've been doing more selling than buying since I recently made a major purchase. I've posted this card elsewhere, but I don't think I have here on CU. I've actually had it about a month, but it's still exciting for me to look at.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be in the minority here, but I think '55 bowman football is one of the best looking sportscard sets ever produced. Any sport. I"m talking top 5.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I agree. lI love those 55's!!! Just picked up the Van Brocklin, Fears and Ameche in the mail yesterday.
  • Options
    Rob

That's a great looking Smoltz card! I'm a Brave fan - that's says it all.

Steve

That Honus is a beauty - the color is vibrant and the card displays way better than a 3!!!!!

He's one of the people that I would've liked to see play - he appears to be perfectly built to play during the dead ball era - lots a ground balls - long arms, big hands - try playing with one of those old gloves!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for the comments on my Kobe's.

They generally don't draw the oooh's and aaaah's on the board so i appreciate that.

Great cards guys, keep em coming

DP
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a great looking Smoltz card! I'm a Brave fan - that's says it all. >>

Agreed. A card I have a bunch ungraded examples of. Great pic from the late, lamented (at least by me) Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Added this card to my 1976 Topps PSA set tonite!

1976 TOPPS #600 TOM SEAVER PSA 10

another wcsports1 retread?

Anyway $410 is a fair price for a PSA 10

rd
  • Options
    found this in an old chest at my parent's house; magazine ad is dated 1948. No Berra or Musial Bowmans. image
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a great looking Smoltz card! I'm a Brave fan - that's says it all. >>

Agreed. A card I have a bunch ungraded examples of. Great pic from the late, lamented (at least by me) Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. >>

was there ever any better than the trio of : Maddux Glavine Smoltz ???

rd
  • Options
    I'm hard pressed to name another threesome that lasted for a full decade at that level, at least since I've been actively watching the game (i.e., since 1977 or so.)
  • Options
    The card looks much nicer then the scan. This will be getting crossed over to a PSA holder and added to my Brian Winters master set on the registry

• Options
    a few things arrived recently.

SI edition of the braves win in 95. Been looking for a non address label version of this copy for some time.

and adding to my portraits T206 HOF collection

• Options
    Nice Brian Card.

I would like to know what grade the card gets. Good luck.

MD

Ya know, I'm not sure if I have that copy of SI at all? Congratulations on the T206 Hughie!

I got some new sox today!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I've read that it's the Babe's first year and he's at the plate taking batting practice;

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Nice Postcard! I'm a stadium postcard collector and have been looking for that issue.
  • Options

<< <i>I've read that it's the Babe's first year and he's at the plate taking batting practice;

image >>

Where's the guy selling the $8 Dixie cups of Bud Light?
  • Options

<< <i>a few things arrived recently.

SI edition of the braves win in 95. Been looking for a non address label version of this copy for some time.

image >>

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Enough of the Braves already! image It's still some nice stuff! Go Twins!!

Here's my latest pickups via Mail Call:

The '88D puts me in the top 5 of the KP Basic set. Cool -- as long as it lasts anyway!
  • Options
    Mike

What the heck was Don Russ thinking when he came up with those designs?

Nice Kirby's but wow, seeing them blown up like that - I'm thinking LSD and a 6 pack of Bud!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'd have to agree -- that's one of my least favorite Don Russ designs -- and I love Don Russ! Just wish he would've consulted with Berk Ross that year... image

Oops! Looks like I forgot to downsize the pics. I'll go do that right now...
  • Options
    YES! ... the key piece my '60 Topps set arrived today. I'm trying to build most of it raw, but this was a splurge....

- Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    blindflyer, that's a beautiful Mantle! Wow!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>blindflyer, that's a beautiful Mantle! Wow! >>

Thanks Arny. You're not kidding --- I planned on waiting until I found a beautiful raw one and self-submit ... but I'd been doing a fair bit of raw business with one of my favorite dealers and he mentioned the Mantle. Got it for $1210 shipped.
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Completely agree, that is a great Mantle. Congratulations!
  • Options
    Blindflyer

If that's the focal point of your set - ya did incredible!

Super copy!

Are you planning to get some of the other key cards graded also?

Contratulations
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Blindflyer

If that's the focal point of your set - ya did incredible!

Super copy!

Are you planning to get some of the other key cards graded also?

Contratulations
    thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Yes. I started collecting the '60 Topps set when I was 12 yrs old back in the late 80's. I just re-entered the hobby after a 15 year layoff about 2 months ago. I'm looking to finish what I started and complete a PSA 7/8 (hopefully mostly 8's) set. I haven't signed up for the PSA Registry yet but plan to soon. I still have a long way to go on the set --- I did get the Yaz graded (I'd bought back when I was 12) and it came back a 6. I just sent an order into PSA yesterday ---- but overall I still lack some of the biggest stars in high grade, including McCovey, Clemente and Musial.

Getting back into the hobby has been like travelling back in time to my youth. I'm now in the football box bust (other thread) and thinking about starting a high grade '84 Donruss set, too. ... but the '60 Topps is my first priority!
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    blindflyer that Mantle is a hard act to follow lol

These two arrived today for my basic set

P.S i realize my scans are too big but im unsure how to make them smaller. Help would be appreciated

DP

• Options

<< <i>YES! ... the key piece my '60 Topps set arrived today. I'm trying to build most of it raw, but this was a splurge....

image >>

Oh, man, if that wasn't in a PSA slab I would swear that was a reproduction it's so awesome!

Great pickup! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us!
  • Options

<< <i>Getting back into the hobby has been like travelling back in time to my youth. I'm now in the football box bust (other thread) and thinking about starting a high grade '84 Donruss set, too. ... but the '60 Topps is my first priority >>

Bingo Blindman!

One of the essences of collecting sports cards!

You stuck the landing and nailed it...a 10!

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

<< <i>Blindflyer
    I just re-entered the hobby after a 15 year layoff about 2 months ago. >>

We seem to have heard essentially the same call.

I echo everyone else: that's an extraordinary card.