Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Is there a wrinkle or some sort of line in the upper right of that Wilson? Maybe it was just something on the scanner, but I'd double check that card before you submit it.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I love these Fan Favorites Auto cards. New photos, same design....

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love these Fan Favorites Auto cards. New photos, same design.... >>

Nice!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yawie

Another nice lot.

What's with the Jennings? Is that a pen mark or the scanner?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nah, it's a mark. I can't tell if it's a distinct mark on front or where the mark on back bled through. Either way, I love buying cards that are otherwise really sharp but that get killed by the third parties because of stuff like marks or minor paper loss on back.
  • Options

<< <i>Nah, it's a mark. I can't tell if it's a distinct mark on front or where the mark on back bled through. Either way, I love buying cards that are otherwise really sharp but that get killed by the third parties because of stuff like marks or minor paper loss on back. >>

I agree.

Still a great card.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Where are all the sgc cards?
  • Options

<< <i>Where are all the sgc cards? >>

Funny, that's the question I ask myself when I look at all the high-dollar auctions.
  • Options

Those E93's were. I'm an equal opportunity deslabber.
  • Options

<< <i>

Those E93's were. I'm an equal opportunity deslabber. >>

E93's Whats that some psa code for something?
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I love these Fan Favorites Auto cards. New photos, same design... >>

Me too tkd!

Nice Yank cards!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Wow, my school had, and still has, an odd logo. Guess that's why we just have "NYU" on our baseball jerseys and not a group of violets...

*Edited to add* My school hasn't had a football team since we closed the campus in the Bronx in the '70's. Stupid gambling killed our Division I status, too.

-Ian
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Just a few recent additions, nothing major....

- Joe
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Wow, my school had, and still has, an odd logo. Guess that's why we just have "NYU" on our baseball jerseys and not a group of violets... >>

I look at that card and I think its crazy how many Jews played football in the 50's and before.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

Wow, my school had, and still has, an odd logo. Guess that's why we just have "NYU" on our baseball jerseys and not a group of violets...

*Edited to add* My school hasn't had a football team since we closed the campus in the Bronx in the '70's. Stupid gambling killed our Division I status, too.

-Ian >>

I wonder why NYU didn't just maintain a field in the Bronx, kind of the way Columbia has Baker Field which is off campus.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone, on the Killebrew cup. I am not certain on the how and why. I had heard that there was a set of the cups with several Twins players featured.

I first got serious about Killebrew "oddball" items about 18 years ago and have only seen or heard of 2 of these surfacing. I live in Minnesota, so if they are around they should be in this area.

I am a little worried that more will come out of the woodwork, and the price drops accordingly, but that didn't happen the last time one of these went big on eBay.

I sometimes think I am nuts when I do things like this, but then again I gave up most of my bad habits years ago (smoking and drinking), so if I don't do at least one goofy thing, I wouldn't be "normal"!?!?!?

My thoughts on collecting are pretty simple, collect what you enjoy, so that even if it is never "worth anything" it will have value to you.

Have fun with the hobby!

JB

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>My thoughts on collecting are pretty simple, collect what you enjoy, so that even if it is never "worth anything" it will have value to you. >>

Words to live by Joe.

And, I agree, if the item rarely comes up - it's hard to say what it's worth. IMO, it was worth the price of admission. Ya did good.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words and the Birthday wishes too!

I am giving myself an even better present....I am taking my two youngest kids on a 2 day 3 night fishing trip. Spending more money!

I am not having ANY second thoughts on this one. We are going to Devils Lake, North Dakota to try our luck at Walleye and also try to catch a BIG Northern Pike or two.

I AM PUMPED! Sorry to holler but.......I AM PUMPED!!!!

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Airjoe

Nice auto piece.

What is the white stuff on the bottom.

Looks like that came from some kind of Yankee function? You have Billy M! Can you give a list of who signed? I was a big Yankee fan in the 70s.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    Wow - I forgot I even had these?

I think my wife bought them for me - they came out during the height of SLU popularity - probably trying to capitalize on them.

3.99? I think I would've been happier if she brought me home a bagel/cream cheese and a Entenmann's
    Cofee cake!

I'm in the process of inventorying my SLUs - I have way more than I thought!

mike

PS: is there anyone out there in desperate need of this to complete their Bonds collection extravaganza?
    Mike
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Airjoe

Nice auto piece.

What is the white stuff on the bottom.

Looks like that came from some kind of Yankee function? You have Billy M! Can you give a list of who signed? I was a big Yankee fan in the 70s.

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Unfortunately for the Yankees autograph sheet, someone labeled each signature....even labeling some wrong. The sheet includes Bobby Murcer, Billy Martin, Yogi Berra, Dave Winfield, Graig Nettles, and Goose Gossage, among others. It was pretty cheap due to the labeling. Thanks.

- Joe
  • Options
    I'm still working on my SLU inventory - I've catalogued a total of 90!

And I found this inside the box!!!

I really like Team Stadium Pins and have quite a bit of them - these are just gems!

And the Mantle one is great!

Sidebar - I was at Paramus Park shopping with a friend while I was at Columbia in NYC - you can approach it from two different highways - well my friend Steve forgot which highway we came in on - each one flanks a part of the Mall which is about the size of Rhode Island! It tooks us 2 hours in the freezing cold to find the car!!!!

This is gonna be great fun finally cataloging my stuff - I sure hope I find a 52T Mantle? image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike-
    I grew up going to Paramus Park. We probably crossed paths somewhere.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I love these Topps Fan Favorite auto cards.

• Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
  • Options

and this one thanks to board member tkd7 (Tom) he gave me the card! Goes to show there are some great people in the hobby! Thanks Tom

This set seems to really be coming along. My first set I have purchased graded cards for.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    John,
    Happy to see the card made it to you OK. Enjoy!
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

pd

Once again - a sweet card!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    John

Those 55Ts are really nice - a design and photos that will never be seen again.

I especially like the Jack Green - does he look like a FB player of what?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    These finally came in from Mastro yesterday. They measure a little shorter than 3" x 4", with the Pennock image being the best of the three. These are from a lot of snapshots taken at the Red Sox 1940 Spring Training in Florida.
  • Options
    brum

All I can say is wow!

I like the feel of the snapshots - with the autos if off the chart!

Congratulations on a great pick up and thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    Nice headliner. Got a few hockey ones hiding in my storage room.

A couple pick up's this week.

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I have been spending a little too much lately...ssshhhh! Don't tell my wife! Here are 4 of my new additions that I purchased and received the last couple days, and the 48 leaf Pihos is one I got back from SGC last week...bought the Pihos raw off ebay for 8 bucks...so I was pretty happy with the 6. (Don't hate me PSAers!)

• Options
    Ben

Those are some really nice pickups! I never get tired of the T206s!

I like the Bliss card. I can see a guy walking into a card shop and asking the owner - "where can I find Bliss?" And the owner saying - I can't even find that in my own life!

BigDaddy

Those are some nice cards - are you doing the 48B set? I only have the Baugh - I have posted it a few times - I get it by accident - I bid the minimum - this is before ebay - and no one else bid. Got it for 450$!
    PSA 8!

Remember a few years ago when some jerk scammed the Pihos family? Nice card. I like the colors.
    The especially like the Lane card.

Thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    -Those are some nice cards - are you doing the 48B set? I only have the Baugh - I have posted it a few times - I get it by accident - I bid the minimum - this is before ebay - and no one else bid. Got it for 450$!
    PSA 8!

Remember a few years ago when some jerk scammed the Pihos family? Nice card. I like the colors.

mike

I have been very tempted to start building sets, but at this point I would rather spend the big bucks upgrading the HOF and star cards. Sometimes I get "the urge" to start a set and then Ill be like "why spend all that money on commons?" and I talk myself out of it. If I ever decide to build a set, the 1948 and 1950 Bowman will be what I start..no doubt. I can definately see set building in my future.....its getting to the point where there are not too many HOF and Star cards that I don't have in the Bowman issues. I'm envious of your Baugh...mine is a PSA 5..with hopes to upgrade to at least a 7. I too love the Layne, I love 55 Bowman's in general, such eye appeal to them. I don't recall the Pihos story, what happened?
  • Options

<< <i>-Those are some nice cards - are you doing the 48B set? I only have the Baugh - I have posted it a few times - I get it by accident - I bid the minimum - this is before ebay - and no one else bid. Got it for 450$!
    PSA 8!

mike

I have been very tempted to start building sets, but at this point I would rather spend the big bucks upgrading the HOF and star cards. Sometimes I get "the urge" to start a set and then Ill be like "why spend all that money on commons?" and I talk myself out of it. If I ever decide to build a set, the 1948 and 1950 Bowman will be what I start..no doubt. I can definately see set building in my future.....its getting to the point where there are not too many HOF and Star cards that I don't have in the Bowman issues. I'm envious of your Baugh...mine is a PSA 5..with hopes to upgrade to at least a 7. I too love the Layne, I love 55 Bowman's in general, such eye appeal to them. I don't recall the Pihos story, what happened? >>

There's two threads on it BigD:

Thread I

And Thread II.

Ripping off a guy in his condition is just plain low.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    I remember reading that in Si. anyone know what happened to the thief?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Thanks for the link....what a scumbag! Two things really tick me off.....people who exploit children and those who exploit the elderly. Glad they caught the jerk! Hopefully he spent some time in the slammer being slammed by Bubba!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    nice headliners Stone ! I am fairly sure I have a few hiding in a box somewhere in the netherworld of my attic.

Tom, nice Yankee autos. I love the O'Neill. I just started buying a few of the 93 UD Yankees signature series and O'Neill was the first purchase.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    Man gets year in memorabilia scam
    By MARK ROBARGE The Leader-Herald

A Gloversville man who admitted to bilking the caretaker for an ailing Pro Football Hall of Famer out of $30,000 in January will serve up to a year in federal prison for that crime.

Shawn M. Stevens, 26, of 66 Montgomery St., was given the one-year sentence Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Greensboro, N.C., along with a $10,000 fine and three years of supervised parole. Stevens had been charged with one count each of interstate transportation of stolen property and issuing counterfeit checks, but pleaded guilty only to interstate transportation of stolen property, for which he could have received a sentence of up to 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Stevens admitted to giving $30,000 in bogus checks to Donna Pihos-Howell, the ex-wife and caretaker for 80-year-old former Philadelphia Eagles star Pete Pihos, for memorabilia from Pihos' career. Using the pseudonym Dr. James Hart, Stevens purchased several game jerseys, including some worn by Pihos when he appeared in the Pro Bowl, as well as a football signed by 45 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, authorities said.

Stevens also had Pihos - who suffers from Alzheimer's disease - autograph several hundred photos during a Jan. 31 visit to the couple's home in Winston-Salem, N.C., during which he also collected the memorabilia.

The items Stevens bought from Pihos-Howell with the phony checks have already been returned, and Stevens was also ordered Tuesday to pay an additional $2,500 in restitution as compensation for the autographs Pihos signed.

Pihos-Howell was in the courtroom Tuesday and said she was satisfied with the sentence Stevens received. She said she was especially glad to finally be able to put the situation behind her.

"I'm glad today is finally over," Pihos-Howell said Tuesday night. "I'm really happy things turned out the way they did."

Pihos has been battling Alzheimer's disease for more than four years, and while he has faced some small setbacks recently, Pihos-Howell said Pihos refuses to give up, and even made the trip to Canton, Ohio, in August for the annual induction ceremonies at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"Bless his heart, he fights, fights, fights," Pihos-Howell said.

As their story received national media coverage, the couple received an outpouring of support from people involved with football and from the public, including a benefit show in Johnstown sponsored in May by local sports memorabilia show promoter Mike Hauser. He also helped law enforcement identify Stevens as the man who scammed the couple. The money received from that show, along with donations from across the country, has allowed Pihos-Howell to place her ex-husband in an adult day care center while she works as a librarian and to try other treatments to stave off the effects of the ailment.

While Pihos continues to battle against his ailment, Stevens' legal problems are not over, either. He still faces charges in Florida for allegedly scamming another ailing Pro Football Hall of Famer in a fashion similar to Pihos-Howell. The State's Attorney's office in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has charged Stevens with third-degree grand theft and third-degree uttering a forged instrument, felonies that each carry a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Officials claim Stevens gave 77-year-old Lou Creekmur of Plantation, Fla. - who also suffers from Alzheimer's disease - a bogus check for $5,000 as payment for the former Detroit Lions star autographing several hundred photos.

Stevens was scheduled to be arraigned on those charges Sept. 3 in Broward County Circuit Court in Fort Lauderdale, but that hearing was rescheduled due to Hurricane Frances and has yet to be rescheduled, officials said.

As a result of the investigation into the Pihos-Howell scam, Stevens and his wife, Juliette, 29, also pleaded guilty in August to one count each of third-degree welfare in Fulton County for not reporting income the couple received from Shawn Stevens' sports memorabilia business while they received more than $13,000 in public assistance.

In that case, Stevens was sentenced to the three weeks he had served in Fulton County Jail while awaiting disposition of his case, while his wife is scheduled to be sentenced in October and is expected to receive five years of probation.
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options
    kcherevkakcherevka Posts: 109 ✭✭✭
    A former GAI Authentic.

• Options
    PSA1, PSA3mc;
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>A former GAI Authentic.

image >>

Hi Ken
    Are you doing the set? We have a few TVen collectors on the board.

If so, are there any cards in the set that are harder to find?

thanx for sharing
    I know it's a condition sensitive set, for one due to handling - so that's actually a nice card.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>PSA1, PSA3mc;
    imageimage >>

fd

I like the sport thrills set...nice Lou!

Are you doing the set?

Those are the raw before holdering right?

thanx for sharing
    if doing the set - where are you?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Just had to buy this card for the eye-appeal. I way overpaid for it, but I'll check into getting it graded most likely...

imageimage
  • Options
    Guess I haven't posted a pic of one of the latest Senators/Twins pickups...

• Options
    Nice cards Mike

What do you think the Wicks will grade?

Also, are you doing the W set? If so - do you have the Yost in the 52B? If not and you need it - PM me.
    I've got a dupe - it's yours.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think the Wicks will grade? >>

I would like to see the blazing Blazer card get a 9, I would expect at least an 8, so it'll probably come back a 7... image

<< <i>Also, are you doing the W set? If so - do you have the Yost in the 52B? If not and you need it - PM me.
    I've got a dupe - it's yours. >>

Mike, you're toooo generous. My Senators/Twins type set is in need of a '52B. I wouldn't take this card without being able to trade you something in return, though. I'll have to go through my "stuff" and see if there's something you may want or need. I've got some Twins pins, but I'm not sure I've got a stadium version. I'll check, though...

I don't have time to log on much as of late, but this is one thread I make a point of reading and enjoying. Thanks again for keeping this going!