Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Cool cards! The parade continues!

I'm trying to limit myself to one or two cards every now and then. Couldn't help myself seeing a '49 Leaf Senator available for under $10. It's a little beat up, but I just hadn't noticed too many '49 Leafs (Leaves?! image ) available...

imageimage
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That 55 Blanda is just gorgeous. I took a quick look at what was on eBay just now, and this one is sharper and more colorful than any there, even a couple of PSA 7's.

I think that's one card which, because of it's color scheme, looks better in an SGC holder, because of the dark background.

The season George did his Superman bit for the Raiders was '70, IIRC.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a some cards from my favorite set. I started the set a few years ago but gave up and sold off all the commons.
    James

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Meathook sent me this "Too Tall" as a gift along with four raw cards. Thanks my friend!

I picked these two up on ebay last week:

This uni is my favorite Cowboy uni ever image

Matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That 55 Blanda is just gorgeous. I took a quick look at what was on eBay just now, and this one is sharper and more colorful than any there, even a couple of PSA 7's.

I think that's one card which, because of it's color scheme, looks better in an SGC holder, because of the dark background.

The season George did his Superman bit for the Raiders was '70, IIRC. >>

That sounds about right GD.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jfk

The Reese card is a favorite of mine.

Matt

That was very generous of Meat!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Gotta Orlando Cabrera Bowman Chrome refractor rookie in the mail today, funny thing is I won this nearly 2-3 months ago. Left it for being screwed over, and it came today! I think it has a great shot at a PSA 10. I think I'll send it in on a sub if someone has one coming up. I'm in line to trade for a BGS 9.5 Bowman chrome international refractor(*I think) Cabrera next.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    This thread has some of the best cards and memorbilia I have ever seen! Seems like every time I open this thread I see another item I have never seen before. Absolutely wonderful cards everyone! You all have inspired me to go back to collecting the stuff I really love, older cards, rather than the new pack lottery I've been playing for too long. Here are a couple of my recent pickups.

This first card came to me in the condition of the first pic. It was covered in some sort of brown stuff. Stain maybe? I have no idea.

With some elbow grease and a bit of lighter fluid (and a small prayer!) this is how it looks now. Not the greatest scan, my scanner is getting old.

This next card I picked up because it caught my eye. I think it has nice eye appeal for a PSA 1. A few creases, but still a HOF rookie card! image

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Matt:

How much for the naked Emmitt with the bling?
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    JK: Nice '53 bowman colors! I love the Ford card.

here are some '55 bowmans I got in from ebay today, they are pretty clean, they cost about $1-2 each. These are cards I already have in my set but figured a nm or better 50's card for $2 or under, well I can't really pass on that.

imageimageimageimageimage
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Matt:

How much for the naked Emmitt with the bling? >>

It was $6.00

Matt
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That Ford is one of the greatest looking cards in a phenominal set. I had never really noticed how morose Mick looks in that card w/ Bauer and Yogi.

I also find it amusing that George Halas ever approved of a logo that looks like that Bear With Vertigo that's on the 55 Bowmans.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I've been slowly putting the '64 Topps Giants set in PSA 9 together. Well, my PSA 9 Mantle arrived yesterday! image

....I've now got my PSA 8 available since I upgraded it. So, if anyone is interested, just let me know before I place it in my eBay store. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just bought a lot of NY Giants cards(in the area of 250). Autos of LT, Harry Carson, Ottis Anderson, Phil Simms(2), various rookies etc. etc. I can't wait for them to come!
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    I'll add my newest.....Nice full sig of Vince and the Pres of the Packers at the time, his name escapes me at the moment.

Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    ...we say "Football Players" ...they say "Footballers"!

re: cards issued in1928 by John Player & Sons

rd

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    rd,

u aint messin around w/ those 76's, those are really beautiful.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    rb, nice 76s, one of my favs!!

Another Tiger:
  • Options
    rbdjr1,

Very nice 76's! As a fellow '76 set registrant, I am consistently amazed at the quality of your set. Simply amazing. Do you plan on selling the PSA 9's that you've upgraded?

Mike
  • Options
    In todays mail

Dave

• Options
    EDITED: Pictures are HUGE. Need to edit them...
  • Options

<< <i>rbdjr1,

Very nice 76's! As a fellow '76 set registrant, I am consistently amazed at the quality of your set. Simply amazing. Do you plan on selling the PSA 9's that you've upgraded?

Mike >>

Hello Mike and welcome! I do sell them! By usually listing them (i.e., PSA 9's) on ebay, mostly with a starting price of $ 4.99. They usually sell for: $ 4.99 to $ 15, and once in a while, a low population nine, just may create a bidding war between a few needy set registrants! image

Good luck with your set Mike!

rd

• Options
    rd

Great Teddy card! It looks perfect.

I have the 76T sheet on the wall and it's the 6th row down, 3rd card from the left - he is prominently positioned next to Wagner and Gehrig.

You've got a great set - what % of that set has no 10s graded?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ...Good, Better Best! image

rd

P.S. the PSA 10 holder needs to be replaced (scratched-up front!)

• Options

<< <i>rd

Great Teddy card! It looks perfect.

I have the 76T sheet on the wall and it's the 6th row down, 3rd card from the left - he is prominently positioned next to Wagner and Gehrig.

You've got a great set - what % of that set has no 10s graded?

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

156 out of 660 have no PSA 10s! That's close to 25% of the set have no 10s!

rd
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    RD- I take it you have had many copies of cards in both psa 9 and psa 10. Can you usually tell a difference in the cards?

thanks
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>RD- I take it you have had many copies of cards in both psa 9 and psa 10. Can you usually tell a difference in the cards?

thanks
    John >>

John,

At times a PSA 10 will "knock my socks off"! And at other times, put a certain PSA 10 next too PSA 9s, then put a piece of tape over the grades, "mix 'em all up" and try to tell the difference!

Flip a coin! image

rd
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Came today!!

• Options
    My favorites:imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My favorites:image >>

Now your talkin! Great card!

Matt
  • Options
    2 More HOF'ers to add. The Hornsby is incredible a very high end 5. It makes me proud.

-Ryan
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Here are a few new additions to my Will Clark collection.

The first scan includes various "Broder" type cards from the late 80's. Remember these from shows back in the day? Dealers had them for fifty cents or a dollar, and everyone said they'd never be worth anything because they're unlicensed. While that's probably true, I still love finding new Broders I don't have.

The second scan is of a few cards from Upper Deck's 2005 Baseball Heroes set. I think it's a great looking set, and I'm hoping to collect as many of Will's parallel, jersey and autograph cards as I can.

With that, you guys can get back to your incredible vintage Hall of Famers...

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Just signed for this, and scanned it:

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Cool!! A 1 of 1.
  • Options
    Exactly. There are a few other Mantle Superfractors out there (from the HR series and Topps Finest), but this is the Superfractor of his 2006 Topps Chrome set card, something I just couldn't let pass me by. Hope you guys like the scan, because it's the last time the card will probably see the light of day.

<< <i>Cool!! A 1 of 1. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    omg, the procession keeps on getting better. Ya gotta love all the high quality new stuff and classic old stuff. I've just gotta get me one of those T202s in my Senators collection. I kept an eye on a PSA5-grade one a few months back and it discouraged me at the final price! I'll have to settle for a lower grade one obviously...

Keep them scanners hummin'!

Here's one of the most recent Senators I picked up. It's 1939 Playball in an SGC holder and graded out to a 50 (/4):

imageimage
  • Options
    Nice Travis. I have 2 of his 1940 Playball cards coming in soon (both autographed). He's a rather underappreciated player.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(5) New Additions to my 1976 Topps PSA Set:

rd

>>

That's so boring, rbdjr1. You must get really tired of all those razor sharp corners, perfect centering and amazing color.

Yawn.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>(5) New Additions to my 1976 Topps PSA Set:

rd

>>

That's so boring, rbdjr1. You must get really tired of all those razor sharp corners, perfect centering and amazing color.

Yawn.

image >>

here are a few items, corners not too sharp (a little round! image), not perfect centering (but not too bad!), and um yes, color? its ok! In other words they are not 10's! image

rd

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Uh, please take down that picture before this whole thread goes bam.

Thanks image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Uh, please take down that picture before this whole thread goes bam.

Thanks image >>

I agree. I sure wouldnt want to be the guy that caused this thread to disappear.

rbdjr1, I think some people on this board would actully hunt you down image

matt
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Just got this Fenway Park postcard supposedly with Ruth at bat. It has great baseball content on the back

The written message on the reverse side reads: "Saw a peach of a game today. New York won from Boston (Am. League) 1 to 0. Saw Collins but he didn't play." The year of the postmark on the card cannot be made out but the date & time are August 14 @ 1 AM. The Yankees defeated the Red Sox, 1-0, on August 13, 1914. Ray Collins was the ace of the Red Sox staff that year, winning 20 games, although he did not pitch in the August 13 game. The card was mailed to Keene, New Hampshire; Collins was a native of Vermont.

So if the game reference is correct, that dates the card to 1914. Ruth was 19 in 1914 and appeared in 5 games that season and Collins last season with Boston was 1915 in which he only won 4 games. Both of those facts in my mind casts a reasonable doubt on that being Ruth taking swings at the plate.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up this baby today. schr1st influenced me to buy it after seeing his auto. version. Off center top to bottom but it makes a nice addition to my raw HOFers collection. image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Travis. I have 2 of his 1940 Playball cards coming in soon (both autographed). He's a rather underappreciated player. >>

Nice, rc! I haven't gotten a '40 Pb yet. I'm having fun chasing a card from every set -- that has a Senator or Twin, anyway.

Please scan and share when you get those autos in. Cecil definitely deserves more recognition. He was a hit-machine and an excellent shortstop from what I've heard. I'm on the lookout for one of his biographies to learn more...
  • Options
    Glad I could help! image

Now you'll just have to get another one:

You can never have too many of that card, signed or not.

As for the Travis, I'll scan them when they arrive, but for now here is the auction image:

<< <i>Picked up this baby today. schr1st influenced me to buy it after seeing his auto. version. Off center top to bottom but it makes a nice addition to my raw HOFers collection. image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Sweet stuff, sc. Can't wait to get one of those '40Pb's, too. It's a great portrait of CT.

Tom - love that Fenway pc and the back that makes it even more special! Thanks for taking the time to scan and share!

I've got to show these four cards here because nobody'd look at them in a separate post. image I've got a captive audience! Anyway, as I mentioned in the '80s wax break thread, I found 3 big binders of bsktbll, ftbll and bsbll cards in the Oregon Sports Museum in downtown Portland at lunch today. I asked the guy what he wanted for the 4 Elways and he said a dollar. I expected a dollar apiece (a couple had faded-out price tags of $2 each), but it was a dollar for all four. Sold! They also had a bunch of bagged '70s and '80s Sports Illustrateds in pretty good shape. If anyone is looking for a specific cover of any sport, let me know. The prices I noticed were all $5 each.

2000 (?) SI for Kids:

1991UD:

1991ProSet:

1991Pacific:
  • Options
    I picked this up yesterday of off Ebay. My first game used bat. Robin Ventura.