Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I got this back from PSA a while back, been meaning to post but was too disappointed.....

Not only did I think this was a surefire PSA 9, but I don't like the way it's holdered. It's "backwards" from every other PSA card I
    own on a card that is horizontal.

shawn
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shawn

I like it! It's an auto card and I think the sig takes precedence over the grade in this case.

Did you look for why it didn't get a 9? It sure looks like a 9?

Corner? Slight chip?

I know you're disappointed but IMO, it's still a great card!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm putting this one here in the archives for Yawie.

Steve
    This is a nice looking 6 IMO.

I had posted this in a thread on my sub which will get buried with time - this thread is like a "vault" of stuff we all have contributed to over the months.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a monster I am hoping to crossover to PSA (but won't crack out) at the Sun Times show here in Chicago... Stray ink in the "B" and a light area at about one o'clock are the only blemishes. Corners, centering, gloss and edges are top flight.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Stone! I've been wanting to see that card since you mentioned that it landed a 6. And it does look real nice for the grade.

I actually sold off my few T206 6's not too terribly long ago. It was a bit difficult to part with the strong ones, but it just made financial sense to do so. When a $12 plastic slab turns a $35 card into a $200 one, it's hard to resist cashing out and buying more cards - especially since I find myself getting more and more serious about the set (sans the troika of Doyle-NY Nat'l, Wagner and Plank).
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Mike

That Aaron is off the chart! In fact, I'll bet it looks better in person - the scanner lights up the edges and shows them in a way the eye doesn't see when looking at the the card, IMO.

Why crack it? PSA Set?

Well, if you do, good luck.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Keep that thing in that holder.....
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    That Aaron is sweet. It already has a great home. I wouldnt crack that out at all.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Stone....nice T206.............Bosox, I wouldnt crack that out either. Looks great just where it is.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
  • Options
    In todays mail going toward my Magic master set

Now all i need is his real RC in the same grade image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In todays mail going toward my Magic master set

Now all i need is his real RC in the same grade image >>

What?? No Emmitts? Whats wrong with you man?

matt
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I was woken up by my mailman today having to sign for this card. At first I was cursing the fact that I had been woken up, but after seeing how nice this card is, I think I'll survive:

Other items that came in today were 2006 Topps Heritage Rea Red ones of Whitey ford and Ed O'Brien
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    What?? No Emmitts? Whats wrong with you man?

lol sorry Matt i wish i had a new one to post

Im still waiting on that one that i won last week sometime
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Haven't been to this thread in a few days. As always, great stuff.

Shawn, I really like that Griffey card. I know it came back an 8, but I really like cards with the signatures right on the card, not on a sticker.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    These came in Sat ... Oscar and friends.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    light border stain, but very nice corners for a PSA 4!

And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options

<< <i>These came in Sat ... Oscar and friends.

image >>

That should have been Wilt and friends! image
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Bicem ... That is a sweet card! Between you and Stone I may have to pick up one or two. Great looking issue!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Bicem ... That is a sweet card! Between you and Stone I may have to pick up one or two. Great looking issue! >>

Thanks - see them graded and in person and you'll be hooked just like me!
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    As usual some great stuff today guys!

Bicem

Very nice - the pic is the most important part to me and it's superb!

NJ - pure 10 perfection! Not much else ya can say!

CardCore - super nice card - I have a bunch of AS cards - nothing like that one.

Sean

That's a great Snider card with auto - my favorite CF'er from the 50s - not Willie, not Mickey - yes the Duke!!!

Halo

The Oscar card is perfect! It seems to be one of the most popular pose shots of him.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    That is a very nice 71 Aaron! I also like the Griffey Autograph.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bicem...

Love that Johnson Cabinet card. Beautiful color on it!!! image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>These came in Sat ... Oscar and friends.

image >>

That should have been Wilt and friends! image >>

Cool cards! On the "A Sweet Job" card, is that really a "pinhole" (lower left edge, next to that pretty leg!) on a "pinup card"??? image

rbd
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>light border stain, but very nice corners for a PSA 4!

image >>

Why no ST qualifier??
  • Options
    Havent posted here in a while. I've been trying not to buy as much.

Matt
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice Levens lawnmowerman! My wife is a Packers fan, she would love that! image

Bicem, that Johnson is beautiful! Gotta love Big Train cards!

Here is the new addition to my collection. Got this on Ebay for a BIN of $80. The seller bought it 2 months ago for $100! I had a PSA/DNA Quick Opinion done and it came back as likely authentic. So I think it was a pretty good deal for a vintage Ted Williams auto. Got a bunch of other autos on there, but I am only interested in the Ted. A bit rough, but still a nice display piece.

Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Got two in today for my Brett Butler collection. Until I can land a nice '93 Finest refractor, the regular version'll have to do. I'm happy with it.

Geordie

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tedw, Thats a nice piece of history for 80 bucks! Bicem, I love those T3's. Wish I had some.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Just back from PSA

imageimage

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Stingray...great turkey red....A761506, nice bazooka Mantle !

These just came in the mail today.....1976 Cottage Valley set. These are just a few of the 24 in the set. They are oversized cards & the backs form puzzles of Nolan Ryan and Catfish Hunter....I had never seen them before and picked up the set for less than $10. If anyone has any knowledge of these other than what I mentioned it would be great.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    bri2327 - those are nice looking cards! It will be interesting to see if someone has more information about them. I like the looks of those.

I got these 2 in the mail today. Not really great shape, but not bad for raw off from Ebay and the price was right. Fence Busters is a must have for any old Braves fan, and I think the 56 is the best looking Spahn card made.

<< image >>
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mucky, I agree with you. That Spahn is one of the best looking vintage cards Topps has ever issued IMO.
  • Options
    Probably not worth to much, just thought it was pretty cool, how many father/son rack packs are out there ?

• Options

<< <i>Stingray...great turkey red....A761506, nice bazooka Mantle !

These just came in the mail today.....1976 Cottage Valley set. These are just a few of the 24 in the set. They are oversized cards & the backs form puzzles of Nolan Ryan and Catfish Hunter....I had never seen them before and picked up the set for less than $10. If anyone has any knowledge of these other than what I mentioned it would be great.
    >>

I think these cards were manufactured by the same company that put out the SSPC cards. The photos are from 1975. If you notice, all the photos are from Shea Stadium. The Yankees and Mets both played at Shea in '74 and '75, but Aaron didn't join the Brewers until 1975. I guess it was easy for SSPC to hire one guy to take all the photos in NY.

Looking at those Mutoscopes reminds me I could get mine graded under the current PSA special. hmmmm.....

BTW, that Walter Johnson cabinet looks great.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>light border stain, but very nice corners for a PSA 4!

image >>

Why no ST qualifier?? >>

I think the stain is within PSA standards for a PSA 4. If the card had PSA 7+ qualities, then yes, a ST qualifier would be added. That's why you rarely, if ever, see lower grade cards with "ST" qualifiers.

Jeff
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I've got Stone to thank for starting my collection of "Babes on Cards"...

hh
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have anything new to contribute, but I'd like to say nice cards and other items from everyone!!! image

Keep'em comin'...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    An unusually difficult card in a 10.

• Options
    Great mail day for me :-)

• Options
    a couple items came this week, have wanted the e94 wagner for awhile since i sold another awhile back:

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Great mail day for me :-) >>

Dave, now thats what I am talking about! Nice Emmitt. I am watching the same one on Ebay but they also have an auto card in the lot. It will probably go to high as I have no interest in the auto card itself.

Heres mine I got today as well.

• Options
    Matt,
    I'm a Giants fan so I never liked Emmitt, but that card looks great. The silver sharpie looks great, probably enhanced by the Cowboys colors. Nice addition.
  • Options

<< <i>Matt,
    I'm a Giants fan so I never liked Emmitt >>

Why do you say such things??

tkd7,
    You are right about the sharpie I thought it looked nice as well, so I had to get it.

Thank you
  • Options
    1/1.

• Options
    More " Big Red Machine " stuff
    I'm not going to sit here and tell you that the starting eight of the " Big Red Machine " is the greatest of all - time. But if somebody else has a better one I want to sit and watch it.
    Sparky Anderson
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    My first contribution to this post is this Kemp rookie I picked up recently for my Bills Master...

• Options