Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'll dissent on the In and Out- I think it's the most overrated burger there is. Big ball of glop. Don't take Jay's opinion, he never saw a burger he didn't love.
    Here's a couple of things in my mailbox this week:
    Something old

And something new

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll dissent on the In and Out- I think it's the most overrated burger there is. Big ball of glop. Don't take Jay's opinion, he never saw a burger he didn't love.
    Here's a couple of things in my mailbox this week:
    Something old

And something new
    image >>

Anthony

The CJ is off the chart! Wish you had a bigger scan - that is a beauty! Why did the CJ I sent them have to be in a baggie that floats all over the place? Size variation?

The other card speaks for itself! Very nice.

congratulations on some great stuff
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Hoof

Nice card - are you gonna have it graded? >>

Definitely not. All my Senators/Twins are raw. I enjoy them in their natural state.

hh
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    I'm always amazed by the great stuff that shows up in this post. Some of the vintage items on here just blow me away. Griffins, that Willie, Mickey and the Duke auto'ed Perez-Steele is awesome.

I haven't posted anything in a while, but here's a few decent cards from some recent subs and pickups...as always, with at least a bit of a Big Red Machine flavor. Nothing earth-shattering here...just a few cards I was happy to add to my collection.

Todd

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    charliehustle,
    great cards. i think '73-'74 Topps baseball has some of the greatest baseball card photography from '52 to '89.
  • Options
    TKD- are you sure? '73 is incredibly muddy, they look like they were all shot with no fill at midday with deep, harsh shadows. '72 starts out that way and then gets so overfilled in the later series they almost look illustrated.
    '53 Bowman is the best IMO, '59 Topps isn't too bad but I hate the design. '65 Topps is very good, and '67 Topps ranks up there with '53 Bowman.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Anthony,
    I think (I hope) what TDK is trying to say is that the '73 set is filled with some of the best action shots possible. The fact that the photography sucks is secondary.
    Also....
    ....how can you slam In n Out? I think you might possibly be a Communist.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Yes, more concerned with action photography than anything else. Didn't consider Bowman in the mix, my oversight. Honestly, for photography sake, I'll take photos made from larger format cameras typically employed by magazines or newpapers.
  • Options
    Didn't consider action shots. '73 was definitely ahead on those, I'm sure Topps was pretty comfortable using 35mm transparencies by then, and it would've been pretty tough to shoot too much action with the medium format cameras (and 4x5 press cameras) used in the '50's and before, although Charles Conlon did a pretty good job of it.

<< <i>Also....
    ....how can you slam In n Out? I think you might possibly be a Communist. >>

You can take the boy out of Santa Monica, but you can't take Santa Monica out of the boy.....
    Seriously Mark, you've got to come down for a Shackburger sometime. Blows that In and Out goo out of the water.

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys!! I love that Kellogg's Rose. Very cool.

Slowly still adding to my humble '55 set. Picked up these two this week...

And another Reds guy I picked up EXTREMELY cheap just for fun.......

That Eric Davis was gonna be the next Willie Mays you know. Still helped bring a World Series to the Redlegs.

Keep up the great scans, I'm always envious.

shawn
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I picked up this 1971 Topps 3rd series Check list in PSA 10! I rarely bid on '70's Topps (other than 1976 baseball!). But I was compulsed to "push the bid button" on this super-blazer!

1971 TOPPS BASEBALL #206 3RD SERIES CHECKLIST PSA 10

rbd

edit: P.S. Pleeeeze hit "maximize picture" and witness a beauty!

• Options
    Those '55 All American's are really nice! Never been into football at all, but that set and '55 Bowman and '34 National Chicle are really tempting. How expensive are they in PSA 6? Only 100 cards in the set, right?

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Also....
    ....how can you slam In n Out? I think you might possibly be a Communist. >>

You can take the boy out of Santa Monica, but you can't take Santa Monica out of the boy.....
    Seriously Mark, you've got to come down for a Shackburger sometime. Blows that In and Out goo out of the water. >>

I don't want to jack this thread (don't think I could if I wanted to), but when you're screaming towards the desert on the 10 there ain't no frikking Shackburgers to be seen.

Shack is tops, but I don't remember for sure, tune up time, I think - name the time and I'll be there! (maybe to exchange cimolians....)
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>Those '55 All American's are really nice! Never been into football at all, but that set and '55 Bowman and '34 National Chicle are really tempting. How expensive are they in PSA 6? Only 100 cards in the set, right? >>

Right Griffins, only 100 cards in the set.

I was a baseball only guy myself until a couple of years ago. Started buying a few football cards, then this All American set caught my eye. Incredible set filled with Hall of Famers and history, I'm hooked.

Set books for about $3700 in PSA 6 according to SMR. I've been picking up mostly 6's at about $20 per. Of course, the Thorpe, Four Horsemen, Red Grange, and Knute Rockne will set me back quite a bit more when the time comes. Those are $150-$350 range. But it's the first set I've tried to complete short of recent Heritage and I'm having a ball with it. Giving myself two years to do it, averaging one card a week. Of course, you know how that works. I've got about 20 already in the first two months. If anything else, it's keeping me from buying anything else.

Best of luck if you give it a try.

shawn

Edited to say: the psa 6's that are nicely centered are really nice looking cards, most might "bump" to a psa 7. It's all about eye appeal and I try to buy the cards that are centered. Picked up four more tonight, may need a loan. image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how can you slam In n Out? I think you might possibly be a Communist. >>

Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    great cards Matt, i would think that Emmitt 1992 pacific gold bordered card would be hard to find GEM MINT.. seems like the gold border would cause any slight flaw to show up easy..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>great cards Matt, i would think that Emmitt 1992 pacific gold bordered card would be hard to find GEM MINT.. seems like the gold border would cause any slight flaw to show up easy.. >>

Thanks pandrews. You are right. For what its worth it is a uh...oh.. here it comes....1 of 1 psa 10 cardimage I just wish psa didnt seal up the hair and other assorted goods inside the slabimage
  • Options
    Matt, nice cards once again !

I have a nice Aikman auto card for you in exchange for the Emmitt if your interested image

Dave
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Lawnmowerman,

Nice cards, always thought that 94 Upper Deck had some of the clearest and nicest photography, have that set raw and some nice cards just to pull out and look at.

Stingray
  • Options
    I go these recently. The Aikman card, in my opinion is one of his nicest cards. Plus, I got it for a penny! The shipping was $5.00 but still I was pretty happy witht he deal. The Faulk/ Butkus card, I thought was pretty cool. I never heard of this insert set before.

Thank You Stingray

Dave, What Aikman card are you referring to?

• Options
    Was planning on buying all 6's to fit the budget but this one came along at a decent price, my first 7.

In all honest though, a few of the 6's I've bought look at least as sharp as this 7, IMO.

I love them all, no matter the grade.

shawn
  • Options
    A couple more:

imageimage

Stingray
  • Options
    Some new stuff I just got:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

• Options
    I love that this thread goes from pre-war to vintage to modern and it all looks great.
  • Options
    The color on that Caminitz card is just awesome!!!

Stingray

• Options

<< <i>I love that this thread goes from pre-war to vintage to modern and it all looks great. >>

I couldn't agree more.

shawn
  • Options
    I was going by two themes: the 'Pittsburgh Sleeves' (4 more to go) and 'background building silouhettes' (a jillion more to go - actually about 30 or so more to go)
  • Options
    Here is a card I've been looking to add for a while

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraph...

Those T206 present very nicely for 2's and 3's.

Congrats...donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    1911 M101-2. Not a card, but so difficult to find JJax anymore;

• Options
    My first PSA post and first nice PSA item!

Collecting University of Alabama Alumni
  • Options
    Rob,
    Nice sig!!!
  • Options
    Rob...image to the boards. That's a nice signature.

fdnyladder7...Very nice vintage photo.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    I got this last week and I finally got a chance to scan it. This is a 1998 Topps Reprint Certified Ryan Auto. There are 27 cards reprinted and autographed by Ryan. One for each year that he played. This is the 6th card out of 27 that I have. I ONLY have 21 more to go to complete the set.

Donato

• Options
    A COUPLE MORE T3'S...

And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I am always amazed by those T3s. That is a set I will have to wait quite a few years to start.

This card just arrived yesterday. I always liked it, because it is just his 1981 card recycled.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Man those T3's are a works of art.. I wish there were T3 vintage hockey cards..

Rob, welcome to the CU boards! Nice autograph!
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    This greenback quaker is a little chewed, but it's my alltime favorite card.

• Options
    nightcrawler...

That's a nice action shot on the greenback quaker card.

Donato

• Options
    havent posted in awhile...got a few items

and here's a maddux minor league card....been meaning to get one in a long time...completes my "rookie" card set of maddux (although i dont really count minor league cards as rookies)...got shilled by a board member, though. JK!! image

and here's a frisch rookie card to add on to my hof collection (and i do count exhibits as rookie cards)

• Options
    cool card nightcrawler
  • Options
    MajorDanby...

That's a nice wide selection of cards. I bit of everything. Thanks for sharing...

Donato

• Options
    A little composite:

• Options
    That's some great stuff guys!!! Love that Ryan auto Donato. And that Collins T206 is a thing of beauty.

Still working on my humble all american set, managed to pick up another 7 at a good price........

And just to be sure I spent all my extra money for the week, picked up three more 6's, including hall of famer Bill Dudley.

22 down, 78 to go. Give me about two years and I might get there.

shawn
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is worth anything but it was $13 including shipping, buy it now. It's a program from the 1972 NLCS, game 5, it's scored neatly, Clemente's last game.

• Options
    Picked up some nice Emmitts and got some other great cards from John, aka jackstraw. The Faulk cards, the Upper Decks and the Select Aikman card all came from John. Thank you John, that was really nice of you! Alot of people have said it before but this board is really great! Its people like John that make this board fun to be a part of.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    This arrived in today's mail. It just ended on eBay on the 20th, and arrived today (Insured Priority Mail from CT. to MA.) .

And no, there has been no color correction or anything else done to the scan other than to add my watermark. This is one of those "It won't be leaving my collection EVER" cards.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    schr1st-
    That's a beauty!!

Here is something I picked up at the Ft. Washington show. Not baseball, but definitely vintage.
    It is a T-6 Murad Cabinet card from 1911. As a Penn grad, I couldn't pass this up. It is about the size of a Turkey Red T-3.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a fun minor set this week: 1969 Tresler Comet Bengals cards. Here's the Bob Trumpy:

The full set is here. One thing I like about the regional issues is seeing the guys who never had a card with the major companies.