Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick up Arny
    I've got the Kubek auto insert card - looks great.

NJ - nice raw card - gonna have it graded?

Thanx for the kind words on the Kaat (Win also)

Yawie-
    Steve, it's interesting you mentioned Kaat in that way - I always thought he looked older than he was!

mike
    Mike
  • Whoa Meathook - that is a fantastic looking Lopez!!!

Let us know how that baby grades out! Nice pick-up!!!
    << image >>
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Just hit the 20 percent mark on the Monster thanks to these two new St. Louisans, both of which were pretty high on my T206 want list:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    whats even better about that lopez is yankee stadium in the background with that specific green color it had.....wowzers....it will never be better then that!!
  • cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    my latest...
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Lothar,

That's a beauty! I love the '59 combo cards with the color background. That would make a nice subset to collect. Now I have an idea!

Tom
    Steve

Congratulations on the 20% mark! On a set that that, it's a great feeling.

Coho

Nice Ruth! I tried to buy a proof related to the card and got outbid - by a lot!!!!

Ryan

The Destruction crew looks incredible!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I forgot I was watching this photo on Ebay a few months back and let it slip by without a bid for $35. I emailed the guy (twice!) asking if I could buy it for the $35 opening bid, but he never got back to me. Low and behold, he relisted it recently with a $25 starting bid! I ended up getting it for $27.50 plus $4 shipping. I was thrilled to land it! It had the auto's already on it, except for Carlton Willey. Seems how Carlton and I are friends, I knew I could put the finishing touches on this beauty. My wife and I went to visit this morning and he was kind enough to finish this off for me. This is now my favorite autographed photo in my collection. image

Looking for Carl Willey items.

<< <i>I forgot I was watching this photo on Ebay a few months back and let it slip by without a bid for $35. I emailed the guy (twice!) asking if I could buy it for the $35 opening bid, but he never got back to me. Low and behold, he relisted it recently with a $25 starting bid! I ended up getting it for $27.50 plus $4 shipping. I was thrilled to land it! It had the auto's already on it, except for Carlton Willey. Seems how Carlton and I are friends, I knew I could put the finishing touches on this beauty. My wife and I went to visit this morning and he was kind enough to finish this off for me. This is now my favorite autographed photo in my collection. image

image >>

Awesome..did he have any great story about him and the gang??

<< <i>Awesome..did he have any great story about him and the gang?? >>

Thanks! Oh man, the stories he has told me over the years! He is such a gentleman, and has some of the BEST stories! One of the things he mentioned today was pitching in the '58 World Series against the Yanks at Yankee Stadium. He was called into relief late in a game, and being his rookie year, he said his legs "were like jelly by the time I got to the mound!" I think mine would have been too!

I asked him today about Sandy Koufax because I learned recently that Sandy used to live in this area. I guess Carlton and Sandy are friends and he said Sandy threw "the hardest I've ever seen anyone throw." I asked him how it was to hit against Koufax and his reply was, "I wouldn't know, the bat never left my shoulder!" He said that he thought Sandy never had the ball, that the catcher was jus slapping his mitt, because he could never SEE the ball when Sandy threw.

He has shared so many stories with me, stories I will cherish forever. I wasn't there, but listening to Carlton is the next best thing. image

Sorry to get off topic here guys! image
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Fresh back from PSA

imageimage

Bought these beauties from one of my senior citizens clients... complete set of 1907 Dietsche Chicago Cubs. To be fair, I did show them the SCD to help them come up with a price. These 4 are off to PSA.

A761506

Those Maz and Rocky cards are sweet, but I love the Tinker, Evers and Chance plus the Three Finger Brown cards!

And I think it was a kind and classy move by you to be honest and show them the values of the cards. Alot of people would have just taken advantage of the unknowing people. Kudos to you! image
    Wow! What great stuff.

First, Ted.

That pic is tremendous - a young Warren! And the story about Carlton is fantastic! I like hearing from people who played back then. They just seemed to be less affected and more genuine about playing baseball and their tales from the past. I've heard from many who have said that Koufax threw like a madman! Just image facing Drysdale from the right and Koufax from the left!!!! Too bad Sandy's career was cut short by arthritis.

Thanx for sharing!

Josh

Those PC's are off the chart! What did SCD value the set at? The pics remind me of a diecut set from the same era.

BTW, did you cut the Bazookas yourself? If so, were you disappointed in the Rocky?

Thanx for the pics
    mike
    Mike
  • GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    Here`s one of my greatest Jordan cards . Bought the card raw off ebay , submitted and it came back a 10 . Man that was a geart day . it is 1 of 3 with a 10 image

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Couple of the 13 Griffey's I got today. BTW does anybody know if the Fleer Extra Bases card will fit into a Holder without the mylar bag? I would have thought PSA would have fixed that by now?
    imageimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Very cool postcards! And, I like that PSA 10 Jordan...tough one!

Now, to share another three (sure, they are commons, but commons are cards too! image ) for my '57 set....

....I'm now one card away from 45% complete! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

In today's mail.............

Hey Arny - congrats on those '57's. A very popular and sweet looking set! Good luck as you approach the halfway point!
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

In a trade with Ahmanfan:

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>image

>>

That is one freakingly crisp Mattingly.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards everyone!!!

Here's a magazine card I got a couple of days ago. A 1982 Astrosports magazine card of Nolan Ryan.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Great stuff guys...

The Matty is flawless - an absolute beauty!!

I noted that rbdjr hasn't posted anything new for some time?

Hope things are ok with him?

Perhaps vacation or out of town on work?

Well, anyway, I wish him well.

thanx for sharing as usual!

Zef - ya gonna get that stuff graded? Good luck, if so.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>Zef - ya gonna get that stuff graded? Good luck, if so.

mike >>

Yes I am. The Williams I honestly can't find a flaw with a 10x loupe.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Steve
    Good for you.
    Received a couple of Clemens rookies that I'm listing in my eBay store....

....actually received three and I'm keeping one of the three for my '85 Leaf set until I pull or purchase a 9.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Few more cards to add to my Don Drysdale basic set. My set is already up there and I've only been putting it together for a couple of weeks. So far, so good!

imageimage

imageimage

I'm going to have to scan that '69 again. That scan makes it seem like the card is damaged, but it's a clean card.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice Robby there, always liked the design of the 65' set!

Stingray
  • Just got these back from PSA...
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    Kurt--UNBELIEVEABLE cards!! All look fantastic. Wish I could find raw cards that nice!!

-Claude
    Kurt

I just opened the thread and these stole the show!

Why isn't that 63T Mays a 9?

Nice cards!!!!
    mike
    Mike
    My PSA delivery today:

imageimage

Kurtman, I especially like the '67 Gibson and the T.Perez rookie! Beautiful cards all around!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Ok, here are my six free subs that I just got back.

Only 4 of 6 10s? Maybe next time you'll do a little better image....my goodness! Great job on the Clemens cards!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

• << <i>Kurt

I just opened the thread and these stole the show!

Why isn't that 63T Mays a 9?

Nice cards!!!!
    mike >>

Thanks a lot guys. Mike: The Mays is mint in every way 'cept for a surface blemish right under the knob end of Willie's bat. You can sorta see it in the scan. I've seen it on many vintage cards where it appears some sort of small piece of debris gets stuck in between the layers of paper and causes, for lack of a better term, a pimple bump, lol.
    My ebay listings
  • A761506: Those Bazookas and Kahn's are awesome!
    My ebay listings
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Tennesseebanker, that's a great submission congrats. Perhaps I should send my submissions to you for a preview and you can send them on to PSA for me.

I love the bazooka panel with the Rose as well. Great stuff, all of it.

Received a couple more for my set today.......

Still a long, long way to go.

shawn
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Two more, this gets me over 25%!!image

shawn
    Wow, another great day!!!!!!!

Josh, Tenn - that stuff is off the chart!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tremendous.

Which of this stuff is destined for ebay?
    and if so, Good Luck!

Shawn
    That's a great set and even tho you have a long way to go, you will find the "journey" more rewarding than the destination IMO.

I'm pushing close to 60% on a set that's on 67 cards in over 2 yrs but have enjoyed every purchase, hunt and "mailbox find"!

Good luck and good hunting!
    mike
    Mike
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Josh,

Those Kahn's are great. Is one mislabeled?
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Which of this stuff is destined for ebay?

Well Mike, One of the Clemens is headed for E-bay and a 9 That the other replaces in my reg set with it. Along with the McGwire 9.

Yeah, one is mislabeled as Joy Jay when it's actually Mazeroski. I wasn't able to catch it before they shipped the order. I'll have them fix it in Philly next month.

Side note: I have had all kinds of labeling errors lately, most of which I caught before the cards shipped, but still... some pretty sloppy stuff of late. In my latest 15 card order, there were 2... one was a 68 Yaz checklist that they had labeled as a 67 Mickey Mantle... I don't know how you don't notice that if they supposedly proof the cards before sending them. Quality control needs to tighten up a bit.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Those Bazooka panels are wicked! I love how they fit in the holder without the mylar. What do they measure? BTW I didn't notice the error in the labeling untill you said something .
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tenn, you have a great eye, those Clemens are amazing! Congrats!!!
  • Very nice, fellas! When those '85s are on, they are gorgeous . . . for modern, that is!
    Fresh back from PSA...

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Some incredible cards this week. This is a postcard I picked up this week featuring the 1974 All Star Team. Does anyone out there know if other similar postcards are out there for other All Star years? Quite a collection of players with Rose, Schmidt, Aaron, Perez, Bench, Berra, Carlton, Brock to name a few.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Nice, Danby! I was just about to say that T206 portraits could very well be considered evidence for the existence of an all-knowing, all-loving god.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Nice stuff everyone. Very good looking Payton rookie.

These came in the mail Friday.