Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    I know people like to see 8's 9's & 10's but someone's gotta buy the 5's lol. I thought the color and corners on this were nice and the centering isn't bad. For $80 after the paypal code I think it's a pretty nice card.

• Gorgeous Cronin it looks undergraded as well maybe a wrinkle or something?
  • It's nice to see that SGC/JSA has replaced the AUT label.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    pretty nice indeed carter.

Great stuff Matt.

It's nice to see that SGC/JSA has replaced the AUT label.

For sure.. it still looks kind of funny with the big 'A' though but I could get used to it. image
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Great stuff Matt.

It's nice to see that SGC/JSA has replaced the AUT label.

For sure.. it still looks kind of funny with the big 'A' though but I could get used to it. image >>

Thanks Knuckles. I thought the same thing about the A It looks like they went with the alphabet grading scale and all my cards graded A's image
  • lawnmowerman- I'm not big on newer football issues but those autos look great! Love the way that the black insert shows off the cards and autos, congrats!

lamontcarter- even though I'm a Yankee fan, I can appreciate the way those vibrant colors jump off that card. Cronin looks good. A very nice 5, kudos.
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gorgeous Cronin it looks undergraded as well maybe a wrinkle or something? >>

Thanks for the kinds words guys. I think that mark on the right hand side at eye level probably made it a 5 but I don't mind it too much.

<< <i>lawnmowerman- I'm not big on newer football issues but those autos look great! Love the way that the black insert shows off the cards and autos, congrats! >>

Thank you Jim. I like the black insert as well.
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

One of my favorite Yankees when I was a kid
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Thursday's Mailday:

I know, I know, he's the devil and all that, but it's still a nice card.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thursday's Mailday:

I know, I know, he's the devil and all that, but it's still a nice card. >>

LOL!!!! HE BE DA DEVIL!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Got some catching up to do with all the great stuff that's been posted this week.

Fantastic stuff!!!!

I wanted to post this card that came in the mail this week - it was a nice present from Steve - aka Winpitcher - tho a common, the main thing is that you can see I have the original pen and ink that goes with the card.

Thanx for viewing
    and I've missed you guys this week - my mommy punished me! image

back from the dead
    mike
    Mike
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Stoney
    Let me be the first to say welcome back! I am about to get punished alsoimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • In honor of Stone's return, here's another T3 arrival from last week...

And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?

<< <i>In honor of Stone's return, here's another T3 arrival from last week...

>>

Thanx!

And that card a incredible! You are building one of the nicest HOF sets on the planet!

Congratulations!
    I'm thinking of lottery ticks? image
    mike
    Mike

• << <i>
    I wanted to post this card that came in the mail this week - it was a nice present from Steve - aka Winpitcher - tho a common, the main thing is that you can see I have the original pen and ink that goes with the card.

>>

VERY nice Topps original artwork - where did you get that?!
    And did they get you to trade,
    your heroes for ghosts?

<< <i>

VERY nice Topps original artwork - where did you get that?! >>

From the Toppsvault auctions.

I've been collecting these since they surfaced in the Guernsey auction of 1989.

I haven't bought anything lately and don't like competing with this guy Wossaumatau who has more money than anyone!

mike
    Mike
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Bicem, awesome card. I enjoy those every time you post a new one !

Here is what my mailman dropped off today.Ive been trying to get one of these for years. Extremely tough card, only 3,500 were made, and as of today there are only 4 PSA 9's with one 10. Compare that to the 84 donruss MAttingly where there are 741 PSA 9's and 33 10's.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

Super Matty Bri

Around 1992, I had considered collecting minor league sets.

mike
    Mike
  • FYSFYS Posts: 194
    Beautifull 41 PlayBall. I strongly believe this set is underated in many peoples eyes.
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    I hate the Yankees but I always loved Donny M. for some reason, great card. It is easy for me as a redsox fan to wish that he had a healthy back and I hope one day he manages the yankees.
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    by the way, are there any redsox fans who love donny b.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    A couple of T206 HoFers arrived this week:

And one of my favorite players from one of my favorite caramel sets:

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Steve,
    As always, nice cards. I appreciate that you post your card pics on your set registry. Its interesting how Hal Chase has mantained his collecting popularity. Maybe he is a precursor to Barry Bonds. Whatever happens, he won't be forgotten.
    I guess he's just one of the more fascinating characters in the game's colorful history. I suppose a few generations from now guys like Bonds and Rose won't elicit the contempt they do now and will be similarly viewed.

By the way, has anybody read The Black Prince of Baseball? I've been wanting to pick it up, but just haven't been doing much reading lately.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    O agree Yawie has a fine collection!

In my mail today:

I'm down to the last 5 cards of a 598 card set.

phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Steve
    Good for you.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Steve, nice Tim Hunter card. This just came in today - an 1898 National Copper Plate Frank Dwyer. Same photographers that did the Sporting News supplements:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    My first T205. It presents well but has a small crease.

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Thanks to another great CU Member, I've added these guys to my '57 set....

....these other two were purchased a couple of weeks ago and finally arrived....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    arny,
    nice pickups. the larsen looks especially nice.
    Thanks.

Yeah, the Larsen seems to be a keeper unless I find a very affordable 7 or 8. It's got a nice look to it and decent centering for a 6.

Oh, I also picked up a card this evening from a fellow CU Member for my Don Drysdale Basic Set....

...I like it! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Superb stuff guys...

Steve Yaw

That's a great HOF lot - I'm looking forward to picking up the card in a T3.

Another 65 Steve - I know you're getting close - thanx again for the 65T card you sent me!

Mark - interesting pick up - how did you find that? What were you looking for?

tkd
    Congratulations on your first T205 - I don't have any - my first one I considered was back 1992 - had to send it back - was overgraded - in an ASA holder!!!

Arny
    Some great cards from the set - I like the set but never got around to putting more than a few cards together - my favorite from the set is the Aaron. The large Braves patch on his arm is incredible.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Mark - interesting pick up - how did you find that? What were you looking for? >>

Hey Mike - as I recall, I think I was just looking at pre-30's non graded baseball. I wrapped it up in cellophane last night with a cardboard backing until I find a more suitable holder.

Thanks for asking!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    This is a bummer, It wasn't expensive (12.00)but it was one I was looking forward to getting.
    FWIW this is only the second card I have received cracked in half. Just thrown into a bubble mailer no sleeve or cardboard?
    Collector Focus

<< <i>This is a bummer, It wasn't expensive (12.00)but it was one I was looking forward to getting.
    FWIW this is only the second card I have received cracked in half. Just thrown into a bubble mailer no sleeve or cardboard?
    image >>

John
    That's really a shame!

Do you have the card raw? I can search for you thru all the 93s I have and see if I have one that looks like a 10 for you to submit on a special? Also, again, I have not forgot you - have not come across the fanfest sets yet.

Finally, Griff looks good this season - it's a shame the guy has had injuries - IMO, he's one of the best players ever to suit up!

mike
    Mike
    Arny
    Super 7 in the Drysdale.

It's one of the two graded sets I'm doing.

There wasn't many guys more powerful or dominating than Don in his time! Some players admitted to being a little affraid to face him.

mike

Mike
    Mike
    I do have a raw one but it has some chipping. These boarderless cards are tough in a 10 but if you want to look thats fine with meimage
    Griffey is one of the best to suit up and really one of the only true 5 tool players ever. He passed Mantle in HR's and Dimaggio in RBI's yesterday with one swing! He looks good but that just means card prices will be going upimage Hopefully I will have in my mailbox something good today and can't wait untill I get home from work to start scanning. Thanks Mike

John
    Collector Focus

No problem.

I will look - ya never know - I opened like 4 boxes of the stuff in 93 - I may find one that doesn't have any chipping.

I saw Griff on ESPN this morning - he's in big company - there's still plenty in the tank - if he can stay healthy.

mike
    Mike
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike, how did that Griffey get a PSA 10, I thought "314" was the grader of death?? image
    This is RARE!

I gotta card! A nice friend put $100 in my paypal. I got this card for 51$. And no more ebay for another 4 months!

I'm now at 36/67 for the set.

What do ya think?
    mike
    Mike
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is RARE!

I gotta card! A nice friend put $100 in my paypal. I got this card for 51$. And no more ebay for another 4 months!

I'm now at 36/67 for the set.

What do ya think?
    mike >>

Great card Mike but I feel faint all of a sudden....................help!!!

I am glad you finally posted a purchase to your thread. image
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Very nice card Mike. Kaat is among my favorite alltime players too.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Arny
    Super 7 in the Drysdale.

It's one of the two graded sets I'm doing.

There wasn't many guys more powerful or dominating than Don in his time! Some players admitted to being a little affraid to face him.

mike >>

He led the league almost every year in hit batsmen! I've added some nice stats on my basic Don Drysdale set. Some of you that like to read stats and interesting stuff should go on there and check it out! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    Couple more to add to my '57 set that came in recently! image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    congrats on the Kubek. Its a popular card and looks great.
    That's a sweet Kaat, Stone. I only remember him as the cagey old guy who was part of my beloved '82 Cardinals. It's almost hard for me to believe he was a young guy at one time. Then again, it's equally hard for me to think that it's been nearly a quarter of a century since that last St. Louis World Series victory. Oh well, at least I still generally feel like the soon-to-be 9-year-old I was during that Fall Classic - save for the rapidly graying and thinning hair.
  • Purchased raw off eBay:

• Nice stuff, guys!

Stone, that Kaat is OFF THE CHART.