Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread people - very enjoyable to look through.

Steve, congrats on being so close to finishing the '65 set... looks like your cards will be a touch better than the one I'm working on - more like EX-MT on average.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just hit 1700!

Cool.

Mike
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm glad it was with a complimentary comment then! image

I'll have to see if I can't contribute some scans and provide something more than hot air in this thread.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We just hit 1700!

Cool.

image >>

I was just thinking today when I was on my mower about this thread. (On my mower is when I do my best thinking) I was wondering how many posts are allowed on a thread. Can it keep going and going? Will we all die before it stops? Will Psa go out of business? I dont know but I am sure gonna keep posting on it. Good job Mike. Your not as bad as everyone saysimage

Matt
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stingray....

Nice pick ups. Won't take long at this rate for your 1988 Fleer Set.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    i have come across one of the most valuable cut sigs on the planet, I think I will either sell to UD or Sotheby's...
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

Fake
  • Options
    no, joe really signed it...I know UD will believe me...
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the mailman rocks image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd bump this to the top with a couple of 41 Play Ball's I picked up today (arnovich & clift). Trying to do a decently centered set in 5 thru 7 so I passed on the Miller 3 and I passed on the Bridges 5 because of the centering. Thanks.

Scott

• Options
    softparade...

That's a great looking Jerry Remy card. image

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    lamontcarter...

Nice looking 1941 Play Ball cards. I love the color on these. image

Donato

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Donato. I just love the colors and the nicknames:

"Indian" Bob Johnson
    "The Horse" Danning
    "Stormy" Weatherly
    Harry "Gunboat" Gumbert
    "Soupy" Campbell
    Frank "Blimp" Hayes
    "Vandy" Vander Meer

and my favorite
    Luke "Hot Potato" Hamlin
  • Options
    Scott

Sweet 5 on the Moe card!

Are you still doing the Bowman set also?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Very nice Dan

How many 10s you have in the set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Dan,
    I'm happy to see you are still finding more upgrades. I've kind of put my '78 set on the backburner for a while, except for a few new cards here and there.

Scott,
    I love those playballs. I'm always impressed by collector's doing a prewar set.
  • Options
    This card came over the weekend. I picked it up for less than SMR. It presents very well, nice centering I think.

I've decided I'm going to do a "Yankees Retired Number" Set.
    The composition is:
    1- Billy Martin
    3- Babe Ruth
    4- Lou Gehrig
    5- Joe DiMaggio
    7- Mickey Mantle
    8- Bill Dickey
    8- Yogi Berra
    9- Roger Maris
    10- Phil Rizzuto
    15- Thurman Munson
    16- Whitey Ford
    23- Don Mattingly
    32- Elston Howard
    37- Casey Stengel
    42- Jackie Robinson
    44- Reggie Jackson
    49- Ron Guidry

Pretty nice mix of players. I'll try for PSA 9 in Modern, PSA 8 in Vintage and PSA whatever in Pre-War. I know a Ruth, Gehrig, and DiMaggio will be top dollar, so if I can get a nice PSA 1 or 2, that will be great. This collection will be one of those one card a year things. I'd love to find a '41 Play Ball DiMaggio, '33 Goudey Ruth, and '34 Goudey Gehrig. Anyway, I've got nice PSA 8 examples of 1960 Maris and 1961 Berra as well, so I feel like I've got a good start.
  • Options
    From my recent sub. WARNING!! LONG RIDE AHEAD!!

WHEW! Im done!

Matt
  • Options
    Matt, i think you've set a record that may never be broken - 26 10's in one post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utterly Amazing!
    << image >>
  • Options

<< <i>Scott

Sweet 5 on the Moe card!

Are you still doing the Bowman set also?

mike >>

Mike
    I stopped short of the Mantle and Mays on the 52 Bowmans. Someday I'll pick those two up to finish it off. Just waiting for a good deal on a nicely centered Clemente to finish my 55 set so I solicited the boards opinions on the next set and decided on the pb's. It will take me awhile but it's a fun one. How are those Turkey Red's and 63 Fleers coming along?

Scott

P.S. I think that Moe card looks like a 6 at least but then noticed the 314 serial # which if I'm not mistaken is the grader of death so that explains it!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tkd, the centering on that Robinson is unreal! WHere did you get it?

Mike, I have in the neighborhood of 20+ not that 10's matter so much but I am in the market now for 10's that truly deserve the grade. This Remy is a SCREAMER

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>tkd, the centering on that Robinson is unreal! WHere did you get it?

Dan >>

Bought it off ebay. The seller posted a tiny scan. I put a bid in with 30 minutes to go and expected to get sniped. Woke up the next morning and had the card. The centering is great, but I think one of the corners is too weak to try for a 9. It is a great looking card.

Tom
  • Options
    Tom
    That is a great looking Robinson. Are you a Penn grad? I went to LaSalle undergrad and Villanova for my MBA. I was at LaSalle when Lionel Simmons was there so we were really good during my time. I used to love when we played Penn and the students would shout things back and forth and the Penn students would always chant SAT's....SAT's to which we had no reply, good times.

Scott
  • Options
    Scott,
    Yes, I am a Penn grad. That photo is from last month's Penn/St. Joe's game. I graduated Penn in '88, so I was there when Simmons would light it up and Villanova had their title team. Penn couldn't buy a win against any of the Philly teams back then. I'm going to the Penn Princeton game at the Palestra tomorrow. That is always a fun game.
    Tom
  • Options
    Tom
    I graduated in 93 so I only got one year of Lionel but it was his best, 29-2 with our only regular season loss to Loyola Marymount with Bo & Hank.................the memories! It's cool that they allowed streamers at one game this year to celebrate the 50th of the Big 5. Good luck against Princeton but you won't need it, they are awful. Enjoy yet another NCAA birth this year!

Scott
  • Options
    Yes, I agree on the Robinson - nice pickup Tom

And Matt - come on - did you corner the market? Nices 10s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<< <i>How are those Turkey Red's and 63 Fleers coming along? >>

Scott
    I haven't bought anything in months and don't plan to till my amex bill is paid off. I'm on a very, very, very, very, very strict budget!!!

This stuff is great guys - I'm enjoying it immensely.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Wow Matt...

That's a lot of 10's. Congrats on your crossovers. Very sharp eyes.

Donato

• Options

<< <i>Wow Matt...

That's a lot of 10's. Congrats on your crossovers. Very sharp eyes.

Donato >>

Thank you my friend.

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>Tom
    I graduated in 93 so I only got one year of Lionel but it was his best, 29-2 with our only regular season loss to Loyola Marymount with Bo & Hank.................the memories! It's cool that they allowed streamers at one game this year to celebrate the 50th of the Big 5. Good luck against Princeton but you won't need it, they are awful. Enjoy yet another NCAA birth this year!

Scott >>

I just wanted to throw in - as a Columbia U graduate I never have anything to celebrate!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I just wanted to throw in - as a Columbia U graduate I never have anything to celebrate!

image >>

Mike...

Cheer up...

At least you can celebrate the fact that you graduated from Columbia University. I can't even do that. I'm only a high school graduate. image

Donato

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    One more:

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>One more:

Stingray >>

Sting,
    Nice X-man card.

My favorite Xavier McDaniel moment is his cameo in the Cameron Crowe movie Singles.
  • Options
    Thanks, kind of OT, but I was watching a show called FB EYE, kind of a low budget show, but saw Jerome Williams (junk yard dog) on the show playing a main character for that episode at least. Remember him from his Piston days here.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>One more:

Stingray >>

Almost 8% already, that's a great start. You are well on your way to completing the Fleer basketball.

Good luck...Donato

• Options
    Some more auto pickups. Got them yesterday

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Matt
  • Options
    Excellent cards Matt !!!

This one was waiting for me in todays mail

• Options
    Thanks Dave. Thats a great Pearson! Real good cetering.

matt
  • Options
    Those are nice Pro Line cards. I wonder though how tired does one get signing 1,000+ cards at a time?

Stingray
  • Options
    Some stuff from my recent submission that came in the mail today.

Don't particulary like the cut on the Ozzie card. Bought it that way. Happy to get my first Forsch card and i'm really wanting his 75 RC. First Sutter to add the Registry just for fun.

And some decent hockey 9's.

• Options
    bengineno9
    Cool cards! You need to make your sig line bigger, its funny.

Matt
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Ben, great cards. You could lose a baseball in that Sutter beard!!!!

shawn
  • Options
    Ben...

I like the hockey cards. It takes nme back to when I first started collecting. Even though I don't collect hockey any more I just may have to do that 72 or 73 set. Thanks for sharing and bringing back great memories.

Donato

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

Got this one in the mail today. It's a 2001 Topps buyback auto - a 1991 Bowman card signed by both Branca and Thomson, but there is an embossed seal on the front and a Topps hologram on the back. There was apparently some big celebration of the 50th anniversary of Thomsons HR in 2001 Topps products. I just thought this was a neat looking card.
  • Options
    Wow...

Where do I start!

Matt

Those auto cards are off the chart! Troy, Emmitt, Joe, Brett...!!! Tremendous - you're collecting some great cards - you know how much I like the auto cards!!

Cardcore

That one great Drew card - are you doing the set?

Hi Ben

Those OPC's are really nice.

But the 79 Oz is really nice - someone did a great cut job!

Thanx for taking the time to share them
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Cardcore >>

<< <i>That one great Drew card - are you doing the set? >>

No Mike, just a die hard Boys fan image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Cardcore >>

<< <i>That one great Drew card - are you doing the set? >>

No Mike, just a die hard Boys fan image >>

I will drink to that.....If I drank image

Thanks Mike!

Matt
  • Options
    Well, you know guys...

With my self-imposed exile from ebay - I'm living thru your stuff - so please....keep it coming!!!

It's like when I'm on a diet - I ask my son to order the NY cheesecake with stawberries on top just so I can watch him eat it! image
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

It's like when I'm on a diet - I ask my son to order the NY cheesecake with stawberries on top just so I can watch him eat it! image
    mike >>

mmm.... cheesecakeimage

Matt
  • Options
    Thanks fellas.

Cool cards! You need to make your sig line bigger, its funny.

Matt i jacked that sig line from another message board. Can't stand Tom Cruise. I'll have to find some time and get it expanded.

Even though I don't collect hockey any more I just may have to do that 72 or 73 set. Thanks for sharing and bringing back great memories.

Donato, Although nothing wrong with 72's i'd have to go with 73's. I love the color borders although it would be nice if the colors matched the team colors. Bright red on the Plager is just hideous. Forgive the spam but i put most of those hockey cards on Ebay tonite. I kept the Extra Plager 9 i got and a few others.

Enjoy reading and viewing this thread every day after work. Hobby-sick individuals!

• Options

<< <i>

Got this one in the mail today. It's a 2001 Topps buyback auto - a 1991 Bowman card signed by both Branca and Thomson, but there is an embossed seal on the front and a Topps hologram on the back. There was apparently some big celebration of the 50th anniversary of Thomsons HR in 2001 Topps products. I just thought this was a neat looking card. >>

mudflap,
    that is a cool card. nice pickup.