Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Mike-

I didn't send the card to GEM. I picked the card up for my set (on Yahoo auctions), and I'm going to crack it out (or just pull the sticker off...). I'm actually pretty surprised how nice it is.

Ryan
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike-

I didn't send the card to GEM. I picked the card up for my set-and I'm going to crack it out. I'm actually pretty surprised how nice it is.

Ryan >>

Ahhh, got ya.

Nice card
    mike
    Mike
    Arch

Very nice submission.

I like the Maz and the Clemente AS is superb!

congratulations
    mike
    Mike
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Maz!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. The Maz is a borderline 6/7, but I thought the '68 Clemente had a shot at a 9. This is the whole submission.

1 1956 TOPPS 33 ROBERTO CLEMENTE N/A 5
    2 1956 TOPPS 135 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 1
    3 1957 TOPPS 24 BILL MAZEROSKI N/A 7
    4 1958 TOPPS 52 BOB CLEMENTE WHITE TM. LETTERS 5
    5 1959 TOPPS 528 PIRATES TEAM N/A 7
    6 1968 TOPPS 374 ROBERTO CLEMENTE ALL STAR 8
    7 1975 SSPC 589 G.BRETT & A.COWANS CHECKLIST 1-90 8
    8 1961 TOPPS 445 FRANK MALZONE N/A 8
    9 1961 TOPPS 499 CHUCK SCHILLING N/A 8
    10 1972 TOPPS 208 MILT PAPPAS N/A 8

This card just arrived in the mail today. Board member tkd7 sent it to me for free at his own expense. I had never met, traded with or even PMed Tom. He just said that it would go well with my Pirates collection, and it does. I just wanted everyone to know what kind of people are on this board and what kind of a guy Tom is.

The card looks fantastic. The only trouble is that now I’m probably hooked on the Red Man cards. Oh well, I have been getting bored with my ’76 set anyhow.

Thanks, Tom!

Everyone check out Tom's completed '55 Red Man set. Way to go!
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • That Thomas looks awesome. Why only a 5? Looks much better from the scan.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That Thomas looks awesome. Why only a 5? Looks much better from the scan. >>

Yes I agree. Looks much better then the grade it was given

Matt
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>This card just arrived in the mail today. Board member tkd7 sent it to me for free at his own expense. I had never met, traded with or even PMed Tom. He just said that it would go well with my Pirates collection, and it does. I just wanted everyone to know what kind of people are on this board and what kind of a guy Tom is.

The card looks fantastic. The only trouble is that now I’m probably hooked on the Red Man cards. Oh well, I have been getting bored with my ’76 set anyhow.

Thanks, Tom!

Everyone check out Tom's completed '55 Red Man set. Way to go! >>

Jim,
    Glad you like the card. It was a dup for me, and it does go great in your Pirates collection. Maybe you can crack and try for a 6.

I'm just happy to have completed my Red Man set! To quote aconte, "Red Mans rock"
    Tom
    Matt

I don't like Irvin that much but I DO like that card!!!

Superb!

thanx for sharing it
    mike
    Mike
    I won this tonite for $9.99. Smr is $85.00 and I was the only bidder. I am happy but I wonder why nobody else bid.

matt
    Matt

I would guess that you can use the smr as a guide and the demand for Johnson aint that good?

Nice card tho for the money!
    congrats
    mike
    Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This phonecard may not mean much to most collectors, but to me it's one item off my wantlist that's been there for more than 10 years.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

<< <i>This phonecard may not mean much to most collectors, but to me it's one item off my wantlist that's been there for more than 10 years.

Donato >>

Donato
    It means something to me and others, I believe.

I enjoy seeing things I've never seen before whether they're relevant to my collecting interests or not.

I share in the pride that everyone demonstrates who post on this thread.

So, please, keep'm coming!
    mike
    Mike
    Mike...

Thanks for your kind words.

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Just got this back from a sub. The card came from an ungraded wax pack. The seller was not a regular sports seller, and a lot of people stayed away from the auction, I got the pack below market.
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

Rob,
    Nice story to go with a great card. Perfect post for Super Bowl Sunday.
  • Donato, you continue to amaze me with your Nolan Ryan cards. I am so envious! That is a really neat card.

Congrats on a successful completetion of a 10 year hunt!
    << image >>
  • Ironic story on this one. I had been looking for this card in a well-centered 8 for a few years. A raw one came up on ebay in Nov '05 with really good scans front and back - it looked like a lock 8 with a shot at a 9. I am embarrassed to say how much I bid so I won't. Anywho, I was shocked when I lost out to another bidder. Then, a few weeks ago, the same card is listed by the bidder who I lost out to and this time it is graded PSA 8. I won it for $238 less than what original raw auction ended for (yes I do feel a little guilty). I really thought there was a good chance that I would not receive it as some sellers would not take this much of a bath on a deal like this. Luckily, the seller was an ethical one and it arrived last week. So, I guess the moral to the story is "have more patience Kurt!" image.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    its no aaron..but this is a tough card to find centered......most are to the top.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurt, That Aaron is sweet! I guess good things come to those who wait.image
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    kurt, the buyer of the raw aaron paid much more than the smr value for psa 8. he got it graded and then sold it at a discount (discount versus what he paid for it raw anyway) to you to simply recoup his losses?

do you think they buyer wanted a psa 9 only?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Resubmit the card.. get a 9 and re-sell it to the guy who sold it to you for big bucks image

Nice card image

• << <i>kurt, the buyer of the raw aaron paid much more than the smr value for psa 8. he got it graded and then sold it at a discount (discount versus what he paid for it raw anyway) to you to simply recoup his losses?

do you think they buyer wanted a psa 9 only?

Julen >>

Centered versions of the 60 Aaron in PSA 8 have always gone for way higher than smr. I just assumed he knew that too and bid accordingly. Maybe you're right, he could have been going for the 9.

<< <i>Resubmit the card.. get a 9 and re-sell it to the guy who sold it to you for big bucks image

Nice card image >>

Lmao, Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately however, I don't think it quite ever gets a 9. The corners are very highend for an 8, but not quite in the mint class.
    My ebay listings
    Kurtman9

A very nice Aaron card with a terrific story and a happy ending.

Patience pays.

Donato

• I was lucky enough to win tickets on Ebay to a Sixer vs. Laker game back in the 99-00 season .

My wife and i sat a row behind the Laker bench and it was absolutely a thrill for me to be that close to my favorite team ( been a Laker fan for 26 years now )

I wasn't able to get the autographs i wanted ( neither Shaq or Kobe came out for the shootaround which i thought was strange ) but i was able to get great photos of the guys

I was too chicken ( no pun intended ) to walk up to Chick Hearn and Stu Lantz to have them sign my media guide but my wife sure wasn't.
    Chick also was nice enough to take a photo with me which i misplaced but hopefully i'll find it.

Chick Hearn was one of the greatest basketball announcers of all-time for those who didn't know who he was. He didn't miss a game for something like 40 years . He passed away a couple years back but i'll never forget how gracious he was that day to my wife and i.
    Hope you like the pics :

Kobe on the bench before game

Shaq Daddy

How close am i :-)

Glen Rice signing autos

Dave

• Arrived today for my Emmitt set

Dave

CardCore,
    Those were sweet seats!
  • tkd7,

thanks and for the price i paid im pretty sure i'll never do it again lol
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As always great cards guys!

I especially like that 57 Score.

In my mail today is a card that i always liked and remm getting a sa kid. It was one I would never flip back then:

Steve
    Good for you.
    Rob
    That's a superb find and a great Griese card!

Kurtman
    What can I say but that's the nicest 60T Aaron I've seen here! Could it be an better centered?!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Nice stuff, guys! Love the '65 ERA Leaders card, Steve. I've been looking for a nice example of that card as well.

In celebration of my new job, I bought a few '80 Topps wax packs recently, with the hope of getting a decent Rickey Rookie. Scored this one on the 3rd card of my 2nd pack:

It's not a Mantle Rookie and it's got a bit of a diamond cut, but the corners are super nice. The little banners sticking out at the top left and bottom right always seem to make the tilt look worse on '80 Topps...I'm guessing I have a good shot at a 9. Got a bunch of other stars and HOF'ers, but many were OC or had slightly dinged corners. Don't know how this one survived intact. I suppose this one will go in with my $5 sub some time this month.

Todd
    Todd, Nice. Thats some good luck. If I were you, I would go play the lotto. Maybe then you can celebrate by quiting your new job.image

Matt
  • Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
    Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!

Great stuff guys! Aaron, Score & nice story with the Laker tickets. Can't forget Steve & the awesome LL card too!
    Love this thread
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • I agree. This is my favorite thread on these boards and one that I hope will never fade away.
    My ebay listings
    In the box today. Just in time for the super bowl mess.

matt
    Ryan

A sweet 57T 6er!! If centered, the 6 is the sweetest card for the buck in vintage IMO!
    I think you made quite a "score." image

Steve

What can I say but you pick up some of the nicest 8s for your set! Gettin close to retirement time!

CardCore

What a great experience to be settin right next to all that sweat! Great pics - that's an experience that will last a long time! I had 3rd in courtside - one game present from my insur. salesman - was SA vs. Utah.
    My wife was bored to tears and we were sitting in Chile's eating tacos before they came out for the 2nd half! image

Charlie

Wow!!!!!!!!!! That's one heck of a lucky pull! Good luck on the grade!

Matt

I'll take the auto - SB not withstanding. Nice.

thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are my latest additions to my Turkey Red Hall of Famer collection image :

I now have 17 different...9 more to go!

Steve
    SD,
    Those are some great cabinet cards. Would love to see bigger scans.
    Tom
    Here are some Ryan items I picked up recently. There are 27 different Ryan cards issued by Topps with the autograph that came out in 1999. I have the rookie autograph (not shown). I need 23 more to complete the set.

Donato

Steve

Those T3s are turkeyrific!!!!!

Where did you pick them up?

mike
    Mike
    Donato

That is some very impressive lot of Ryan autos!

I would really like to see the RC auto card when you get the chance.

Congratulations on one heck of a series.
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>Donato

That is some very impressive lot of Ryan autos!

I would really like to see the RC auto card when you get the chance.

Congratulations on one heck of a series.
    mike >>

Mike...

Thanks... Here's the rookie autograph. image

Donato

Mike

<< <i>Steve

mike >>

Thanks Mike!

Got 'em on ebay over the past couple of weeksimage

Steve
    Donato,

Congrats on those Nolie autographsimage

I'm continually amazed by your Ryan collectionimage

Steve

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve

mike >>

Thanks Mike!

Steve >>

Are ya gonna send them off to PSA?

mike
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve

mike >>

Thanks Mike!

Steve >>

Are ya gonna send them off to PSA?

mike >>

I will if people would just quit putting cards that I can't live without for sale on ebayimageimageimageimage I've got 16 now to send in....gonna cost $800 for gradingimage

In other words, I flunked out of your 12-step programimageimage

One of these days, I'll get around to it! image

Steve
    I know what you mean Steve.

The T3s are my all time favorite - I have 14 graded now. The ones that are definite 1s, I'm waiting to see if I can pick another up.

But right now, I haven't bought anything since early December and that was one item for the entire month!

I'm doin real good!
    thanx
    mike
    Mike

<< <i>Donato,

Congrats on those Nolie autographsimage

I'm continually amazed by your Ryan collectionimage

Steve >>

Thanks Steve...

I appreciate your kind words.

By the way those T3 cards are great. I love the way the colors pop on them.

Donato

Edited because I can't type, even with just 2 fingers.