Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff on Page 30 - I'm almost embarrassed to display two of today's arrivals:

I've been wanting to land this Gibson pose for some time now. I wouldn't have guessed I'd do so on a T216. I really love the text on back. "People's Tobacco." "Made by Union Labor." It's almost enough to make this leftie want to start smoking again.

Another beater, but the Hindu back is another first for me. I realized recently that I actually am working on the Monster as a kind of lifetime project. I may never finish, but I at least want to collect all the St. Louis players, Hall of Fame portraits and at least one example of each back type.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Got these back last week from PSA.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    here is a picture of me w/ my favorite super hero.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Julen - What?? No Auto??? image
    << image >>
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    My senses tell me Spidey is "happy to see you" by looking at that picture. image
  • Options
    Recent purchases from the Great White North.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!

Where do I start today! This is the best part of the day - seeing what you guys have picked up.

First Brum

Very nice! And getting Yogi to sign it also makes it complete - how much does he charge? Just curious?

Steve

I like the Hindu back also! Kotton tobacco - "mild and sweet" - very nice. We have seen some stunning stuff this week but about the "embarassment?" The fun and enjoyment of viewing your stuff as well as others is not measured by $ in my book - I can "sense" the pride and dedication of many you - this is priceless IMO.

Matt

I have never seen that Burger King card before - very nice!

Julen

Nice pic!

Comet

Those 33 OPC hockey cards are super! I've been enjoying them immensely - there's something about the design that is just right - sometimes I wonder what these guys were thinking when they took the pose for the shot?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike

I think the Burger King Emmitt card was limited to central Florida Burger Kings as a U.F. team set.

Matt
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Other than the usual autographs here and there coming in the mail here's something special that came last week. image

It's a 2005-06 Edmonton Oilers - Home - First Set - Game Used - Fernando Pisani jersey.

He's no super star but the only Edmonton Oiler actually born and raised in Edmonton. He was on fire during the first part of the season when he wore this jersey from pre-season to around December 1st. It has decent wear considering the new NHL has much less hooking etc.. I plan on wearing it to the odd Oilers game I attend. image

- Garret
  • Options
    Cool Jersey Garret!

GU also. Some collectors would never wear a GU uni but heck I would!

Get a pic when you do and post it - if you get the chance.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    SMORE:

imageimageimage

Stingray
  • Options
    I love the Emmitt Smith card. I went to University of Florida with Emmitt. One of my jobs in school was tutoring the football players. Emmitt was a great player and even greater person back then.

Here is another card for my "favorite card" set:

David
  • Options
    David

I'm a big fan of the 53T set! Never did it - was planning to do it raw - are you doing the set?

Very nice Paige and very well centered!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike

1953 Topps is one of my favorite sets. I just sold my PSA graded set. I keep three cards from the set (Mantle, Mays and Paige). I was at 75% complete when I realized that I love the design but not all of the players that I knew nothing about. Thus, I kept the big three and will look for a Jackie Robinson which I needed to include in the sale. I also have some OCD in me which makes it dangerous when collecting sets. In the future I will stick with low number sets (probably regional sets) and my favorite card set. With that being said, I will always be tempted to start another "big" set.

David
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

The funky blotches on some of the cards is from my scanner. Thanks for this thread everyone, its really cool to shareimage

Matt
  • Options
    Unbelievable stuff as always guys!

When I came home my wife asked me if I hit the lottery! I didn't understand the question until I saw the stack of packages on my desk. I guess UPS and 2 visits from the USPS kept her busy today.

Hang on, this may be a long ride.

image...1/12 none higher. This is the 27th 8 added to my 57 set which had 33 7's when I purchased it from a fellow member. I feel this set has great potential considering it is Topps 2nd hockey issue.

image...1/3 none higher. Damn condom!

image...1/12 no 10's. Constant additions to this set and losing ground on the registry. The 69 guys are tough!

image...1/1 no 11's image

image...1/1. upgraded my 9.

image...1/4 no 10's. Very tough card. SP maybe?

image...1/10 no 10's. This card had eluded me for a year. I've graded a few of these always pulling 8's.

image...1/3. upgraded my 9.

image...1/5 with one 10. Another tough card to find in 9-10.

image...1/6 no 10's. Missed this one a couple times on FeeBay.

image...1/2. upgraded my 9.

image...1/7 with 2 10's. Would love to upgrade this to a 10.

So 5 new 9's and 3 upgrades to 10 in my 72 set and I couldn't knock Jay Wolt out of the top 5 ATF list. I'm coming at you Jay! 0.08 rating points away baby! J/K!

Thank you guys for letting me share my cards with you. It's half the fun for me.

All the best, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Magnifique Bob!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    hey lawnmower-
    those autograph cards look great. nice selection of players.

This showed up in my mailbox. Just started purchasing these. I think the photos are great. Nothing much compared to the other great stuff on here lately. Keep posting!
  • Options
    That Paige is fantastic, packman! But we gotta do something about that Stan the Man icon. I uploaded that myself ages ago but didn't like how it came out. Maybe I'll work on a new one for 15 Feb.
  • Options
    Matt

That Emmitt auto is as smooth as a baby's butt!!

Bob

How many sets are you working on at the same time! Those are some of the nicest hockey cards.
    This may sound odd but I like the simplicity of the 57T design!

tkd

The Dormands - that one is very nice with the auto - it's a set I would consider some day along with the Wilson's Franks.

One thing about this site now - as some have said - it's a living, breathing, dynamic library of great reference stuff to look at.

The thing I like most? I get ideas for future interests.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great stuff, fellas!

Knuckles, that sweater is AWESOME! I have a couple old college hockey jerseys; perhaps I'll share them one of these nights.

Stone, you're thread is usually the highlight of my day! Good work.
  • Options
    << How many sets are you working on at the same time! Those are some of the nicest hockey cards. >>

Mike, about 19 too many! LOL

I like the simple design of the 57's also. They're no 54's but they're still a nice early Topps issue.

Thanks, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    David - love the Paige - 53T is my favourite baseball design, and the Paige is my favourite card from that set.

Garrett - very cool jersey - I'd love to get my own Canucks gamer some day - that's a Road jersey, not home right?

Bob - you know I love the 72's - let me know if your liquidating any of your upgraded 9's image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    well, first time I've posted to this thread, but I finally finished my '49 Bowman Dodgers with this Tipton Mint example of Duke's RC. Pretty soon I'm going to bust it out of the holder so that it can join its brethren in the Dodger binder.

Geordie

• Options
    Slowly but surely:

imageimageimageWhere is my neck??

Stingray
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, first time I've posted to this thread, but I finally finished my '49 Bowman Dodgers with this Tipton Mint example of Duke's RC. Pretty soon I'm going to bust it out of the holder so that it can join its brethren in the Dodger binder.

Geordie

image >>

You do that too, huh? Me have all Cardinals in album too!

Shane

• Options
    A little side project I am considering:

Stingray
  • Options
    got this for my t206 and hallf of fame rookie collection...

• Options
    Geordie

Nice Duke - he was my favorite center fielder of the famed three in NY!

Card sure looks better than a 1 - back damage?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    One more before callling it a night:

Stingray
  • Options
    Danby, let us know how that Speaker looks when you get it and what hapens if you submit it for grading. It looks really nice and I thought about jumping in the bidding in the waning moments but got cold feet over the bottom border. Probably just an original diamond cut, but for that kind of dough I didn't really want to take any chances.
  • Options

<< <i>got this for my t206 and hallf of fame rookie collection...

That Speaker looks great. Nice addition to your collection.
  • Options
    Sting

Sweet Malone card. Wasn't Lothar doing this set?

MD

I like that Speaker card! Is your HOF set raw or graded?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    yeah im doing 87 and 88 fleer basketball....raw and graded....havent made any additions in a LONG LONG time.

Loth
  • Options
    Won this one overnight (yawn):

Stingray
  • Options
    some cards i just got back from psa:
    imageimage

cobb in the classic pose...one of my favorite cards

American Beauty Back, another favorite.

I really like the Signature Rookies autograph cards also, I still have a few baseball and football ones from the early 90's.
  • Options
    All spectacular, but that Cobb is just awesome. The more I see that pose, the more I love it.

Working on some scans myself right now. I'll try to get a few pics up in a bit.
  • Options
    Church

Those are very nice!

You've been picking up some really nice stuff!
    thanx for sharing
    I've always liked that Cobb also
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Woo! I just exploded into 42nd place with 18 new T206's. Here's some of the highlights:

What's great is that those five cost me just under $100 raw on eBay and all wound up 4's or 5's. The Schmidt's one of the 4's, but its color is simply nuke-yoo-ler.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow nice stuff!

I am down to 1 card for my mars set:

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Woo! I just exploded into 42nd place with 18 new T206's. Here's some of the highlights:

What's great is that those five cost me just under $100 raw on eBay and all wound up 4's or 5's. The Schmidt's one of the 4's, but its color is simply nuke-yoo-ler. >>

Great job! I have noticed if you do your homework on the T cards on ebay you can get some raw bargains that grade well. It takes time though.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Geordie

Nice Duke - he was my favorite center fielder of the famed three in NY!

Card sure looks better than a 1 - back damage?

thanx for sharing
    mike >>

Mike - No, there isn't any back damage. Other than the typical corner wear and creases, I couldn't tell you why it warranted a "1". I'm no graded card expert though, so maybe the grade is right.

Mr. Snider has been liberated from his plastic tomb and resides in the Dodger binder. I'm sure he's much happier there. I was looking at my other '49Bs and noticed how crappy my Jackie Robinson is. Wow, what a tortured card!

Geordie
  • Options
    Steve - Yawie

That's some deal! The Downs portrait is really cool - he looks like a kid.

Steve - Win

That's one of the nicest Mars cards you have posted! Looks like a 9 on my screen.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks, Stone. I really like the Downs too. Never heard of the guy, but it's a neat card. I'm up to 99 T206's in my "permanent" collection. Ninety-eight different ones and one dupe. I'm thinking about collecting the Cardinals and Browns in the set with in as many different back combinations as I can get:

Two Harry Howell portraits down, 11 to go, assuming my checklist is correct.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Well Steve, look at it this way- most of us aren't (and will never be) even #43 on the list. Keep it up! They look great!
  • Options
    very nice cards yawitz...the best deals are always the raw cards that collectors are afraid of (because the card is not in a holder....there must be something wrong with it mentality). nothing wrong with overpaying for psa5s but there's no greater joy for me in the hobby than doing your homework and buying raw cards that get psa5s on your own submissions.

p.s. i only cite psa5s as examples because EX is my happy medium between eye-appeal and the cost i'm willing to pay for them.
  • Options
    yawie...nice cards. i'll let you know what i get on the speaker. speaker rookies are not easy to get when graded...i saw this...saw the AB back...and was intent on buying it. the dealer has tons of feedback, always sells raw t206's and has a great refund policy. the way i see it, the risk is minimized.

stone...im primarily collecting the cards graded. the main reason is because the cards i am trying to get are usually graded in the first place. this speaker came up.....saw the tough back...and thought i could get this for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Good luck with it. I'm pretty sure it'll turn out to be a good deal for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally picked up one of my all-time favorite cards... image

Steve