Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A few more:

imageimageimage

Stingray
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Aaron is a beauty Ted!!

And of course Sting - just some more super cards for the set.

I guess I don't have the attention span for a set that large! image

mike
    Mike
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Phreakydancin, those 72's are sweeeeeeet!
  • < Phreakydancin, those 72's are sweeeeeeet! >

I agree! Great start to a fun set. Watch out for the proverbial "Wall"
    you'll smack into around 75-80 %.

Best of luck, Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    fdny-
    that's a great marquard. those t205s always look great when the border is nice.

• << <i>< Phreakydancin, those 72's are sweeeeeeet! >

I agree! Great start to a fun set. Watch out for the proverbial "Wall"
    you'll smack into around 75-80 %.

Best of luck, Bob C. >>

Well, I'm only at 15% so I've got a long way to go. Of course, I'm not after the 10's like you've been winning, Bob, so hopefully that will make this set a little more do-able.

BTW, please let me know if you have any extra 9's that you've upgraded to 10's. I'd be happy to help you save on eBay fees image
  • Wow, I had to dig this out from 5 pages back!
    Brum

And they still look as good as ever!

Mike
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Just got this in. Nobody seems to care of the '90 McDonalds anymore, but I still like them. image

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    [deleted - doublepost]

Hi Brian

I was getting a headache tryin to view the pic.

I like the food issues - there's a bunch of guys here who do also.

There was even an underwear issue back in 92 I believe - the cards were by Fleer if memory serves?
    Go Jockey!!!

Very nice card.
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Nice Clemens!

My motto is: If nobody wants it - buy it; if everyone wants it - sell it! Those McD's might turn out to be a good investment down the road.
    << image >>

<< <i>Nice Clemens!

My motto is: If nobody wants it - buy it; if everyone wants it - sell it! Those McD's might turn out to be a good investment down the road. >>

That's what I keep saying to myself about my 84s.image

Stingray
    Kirk,

I have to say, the more '84s you post, the more I like the set. You are the best press the set ever had. I enjoy seeing your set grow, it brings me back to that time.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    courtesy of mickey's sportscards...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Other than Topps Heritage I rarely open anything but I was in the card shop today and tried one of those 2005 Upperdeck tins for the heck of it. And imagine that...as my luck had it today....
    Yankee

Very nice auto card! Getting Stan the Man is quite a find!

Congratulations! How much was the tin?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
    Julen

Sweet card - where are you on the set?

I think I'll check with the warden and ask if I can at least buy one 63F card!

mike
    Mike

<< <i>Kirk,

I have to say, the more '84s you post, the more I like the set. You are the best press the set ever had. I enjoy seeing your set grow, it brings me back to that time. >>

Thanks for the support!

Stingray
    Tin was 50 bucks. Its the 2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes.

• << <i>Tin was 50 bucks. Its the 2005 Upper Deck Baseball Heroes. >>

Great Musial! Are you going to try and get that sig authenticated? image
    << image >>
    One more before the weekend:

Stingray

Great Musial! Are you going to try and get that sig authenticated? image >>

LOL...I thought the same thing to myself. Since he is alive, I am going to trust that this one is no doubt authentic! Unless of course there is some crazy expose about UD and their autos!
    Here is another Red Man for my set. Inching closer to completion.....

Beautiful card.
    Wow, that Berra is impressive
    Thanks for the compliment yankeeno7.

Being a Yankee fan, I decided to build my set with high grade Berra and Ford cards as the cornerstones. Unfortunately the case cracked in shipment so I have to submit for reholdering.
    Another nice card Sting - I'm really enjoying the pace that you are moving on the set!

Now tkd

That's totally sweet! One of the nicest things I've seen in a while!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • a couple new cards of larry "nap" lajoie:

imageimage
    Church

That 1914 CJ Nap is incredible!!!

mike
    Mike
    hi church,
    That Cracker Jack is out of sight. Great Card!
  • thanks stone and tkd. the scan makes the card darker than it really is. might've overpaid a little but it goes well with my 1915 and lajoie collection in general.
    Nice cards everyone. That Red Man Berra must be a low pop. in PSA 8? Church you have been a member since 2002 and only 8 post. Nice to see you back on.

Stingray
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from PSA this week.

Shane

Alright one more:

Stingray
    Frank

That's the best! It's one of my all time favorite RCs - of course he was so hot - some call this the poster child for the RC craze of the 90s I believe - and I agree.

Can't recollect - did you pull this yourself? I would be proud to pull that card myself!

What's the pop on 10s?

thanx for sharing - you're a lucky guy!
    mike
    Mike
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is one sharp looking Donnie Baseball rookie card. Congratulations!!!

As for me, slowly plodding along with my set, got two more in the mail today. A LONG, LONG way to go though.

Shawn

• I recently acquired this 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams (the color is a little off on the scan). It is my favorite card of Ted Williams. Instead of building PSA complete sets (I loss interest in the commons), I have decided to collect my favorite card of certain players. So far I have Williams (1941 Play Ball), Foxx (1941 Play Ball), Mantle (1951 Bowman and 1953 Topps - I couldn't decide on one), Mays (1953 Topps), Snider (1954 Topps), Kaline (1954 Topps), Paige (1953 Topps) and Reggie Jackson (1978 Topps).

David

This is my Foxx that I received yesterday.

Finally, this is the 1951 Bowman Mantle.

SWEEEEET STUFF!!!!!

Stingray
    David

I can't think of proper accolades for those cards!!

That Williams is incredible! Did you pick up all these recently? If so, it must have been a Merry Xmas around your house!

Most definitely thanx for sharing those GEMS!!!!!
    mike
    Mike
  • Thanks for the complements. I recently sold my 1953 Topps and 1956 Topps PSA graded sets. I used a portion of those funds to pick-up those three cards during the past 2 months. The balance of the proceeds will be used to pick-up some additional cards. I have a long list of players and their one card that I am looking for. It will be a fun journey. When I have a chance, I will post some additional scans.

David
  • thats a nice 41 playball williams. im more partial to the 51 bowman williams....but you cant go wrong with that playball card.

im with you in terms of building sets. i was planning to do a complete set of t206 (of course, minus the big 4) and 1951 bowman....but, i decided that it was way too much money...especially when the majority of players are unknown. so, i decided to do a complete HOF set for each of those brands.

and a nice mantle rookie...ive been trying to get one at a 4 or 5....but i keep getting outsniped!
  • MajorDandy

It is funny that you bring up the 1951 Bowman Williams. I came up with three cards of Ted Williams that I liked the most: 1941 Play Ball, 1951 Bowman and 1954 Wilson Franks. The Wilson Franks would have used too much of my budget. I choose the Play Ball because I am more partial to portraits. However, the 1951 Bowman is my favorite body shot. Good luck with your quest on the 1951 Bowman and T206 HOF sets. They are great sets. Regarding the T206 set, will you be collecting each of the different poses for the players or just one pose (e.g., portraits, action)?
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! My Mattingly can't compare to those vintage beauties.

Mike,

I recently bought a collection of sets (Topps from 1970 to 1994; Fleer and Donruss from 1981 to 1994). Y'all won't believe this, but all of those sets were in albums. I pulled that Mattingly out of an album. The man I bought the cards from hasn't had any interest in cards in 10 or 11 years. So, it had been in the album for quit some time. Anyway, when I pulled it from the album, I thought, "Hum, that sure is centered nice and has nice corners!" To my delight - a 10!!!

My Mattingly is number 32 on the population report.

Shane

MD, David

I'm with you on the large sets especially - I just don't have the attention span.

I will say tho - I do like the small sets like the 63F I have been working on for 2 yrs.

I know people are tired of my OCD talk but it is true for many who have contacted me.

I look at my quest for cards now as a "marathon" rather than a sprint and I'm feelin a lot better.

mike
    Mike
  • KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    damn nice cards packman, cards like that make me want to collect baseball.
    Wow, a Williams, Foxx and Mantle in one post. Great cards! Lots of jealous people.

Big Red, I'm slowly working on the '55 set also, in PSA 5-7 range. I've noticed you can pick up a lot of solid raw cards for pretty cheap if you want to grade them. I picked up one for about $10 and it came back a PSA 8. That guy is now an ebay favorite seller.

Congrats on the Mattingly. It must be cool to see a grade like that pop up on your results page!
  • packman....im collecting the whole kittle caboodle. all 4 cobbs. all cy youngs. all mathewsons. et al. will take me awhile, no doubt...but, it will keep me busy.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Packman, Those cards are beauties!!! I love that Mantle. Someday I will own one of those......Hopefully!
  • Sweet Mantle, I almost went after a signed one last year, vintage signature in a GAI holder. By the time I consulted with a dealer I usually buy from, who was initially skeptical, someone else had already picked it up. I am almost certain it probably resides in a PSA holder now.

Anyways, I won this signed Ted Kluszewski 4x5 photograph back in August/September with PSA/DNA COA, unslabbed. Finally got around to sending it in to Yogi earlier this month. The signature was lighter than I expected but it goes well with the Klu signature. I supplied Berra with the pen, so maybe if he had used one he had it might have been darker. Nice way to incorporate Kluszewski into a Hall of Fame collection.