Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Got these a while back, just didnt get around to posting them untill now. My friend is the D Rays equipment manager and all it cost me was the jerseys , which I bought and gave to him and he did the restimage

matt
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

Congratulations on the Matty card - very nice pick up!

Matt

Super nice to have a friend pick up autos for you! Especially the Piazza - I'm thinking I remember someone saying he's not the most willing "free" signer.

Congrats to you also.

mike
    Mike
  • Does anyone known if there is website, or checklist, that breaks down T206's by teams. I would like to get the Millers team and back variations. My not very well versed on this set and how many different backs there are. I have always liked the polar bear backs. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone known if there is website, or checklist, that breaks down T206's by teams. I would like to get the Millers team and back variations. My not very well versed on this set and how many different backs there are. I have always liked the polar bear backs. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jason >>

If you're referring to Minneapolis, here's the list of players in T206:

Collins
    Cravath
    Downs
    Oberlin
    O'Neil
    Pickering
    Quillen
    Young

Also, here's a link to probably the #1 website on the set:

T206 Museum Website

Steve
  • Steve,
    Yes I was referring to Minneapolis, Thanks for the list, eight players doesn't sound that bad. Do you happen to know what back possiblities there are?
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve,
    Yes I was referring to Minneapolis, Thanks for the list, eight players doesn't sound that bad. Do you happen to know what back possiblities there are?
    Thanks,
    Jason >>

According to the checklist I have, there are 13 different backs for each card:

American Beauty
    Broadleaf
    Cycle
    Drum
    Piedmont
    Sovereign
    Sweet Caporal (Factory 25)
    Sweet Caporal (Factory 30)
    Carolina Brights
    El Principe de Gales
    Old Mill
    Polar Bear
    Tolstoi

Steve
  • Steve,
    Thanks again, 104 cards, thats gettin' up there, at least there are only 13 different back as opposed to 40. I didn't realize that there 40 different backs for those cards.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    This won't mean much to most on here, but this is one of Kaline's rarest cards. 1957 Graphic Arts

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this baby from fellow board member Murphdog. I know its only a 3 but it was an affordable way to get the card I love. I think its a nice 3 too. Thanks again Matt!!!

Josh
    I'm a PC fan and the Kaline looks great!

Downtown

I think you got one heck of a 3 there! It has great eye appeal. Congratulations!

mike
    Mike
  • nice pickup dt...have always favored the look of the 53 over the 52 personally...
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downtown1974

That is a nice PSA 3 of Mickey Mantle. image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
    Thanks for the compliments on the Mick guys. It really is a nice looking card!
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    A761506,
    Nice Kaline PC. If you read some of my previous posts, I'm a big postcard guy and also a Kaline fan. I know how satisfying it is to track down a new postcard.
    Tom
  • Hey Downtown, I got to thinking about that '53 Mantle I sold you and I think I might want it back now (J/K)image. No seriously, I'm glad we were able to make a deal happen, and you know really I think if you wanted to you might could get a 4 out of that if you were to re-submit it. I have two other PSA 4's of the '53 Mantle and that 3 has much, much better corners, centering, and is a much better looking card than the two 4's I have. Give it a try and re-submit it if you want. I'd be interested to see if it could get a 4. Anyways, hope you enjoy the card. image
    "A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish" - Chevy Chase

"I have a split personality, and he is a regular SOB"
    Matt, You're right the corners on the card are nice. Especially the bottom left. The colored name bar on those 53's are tough. The scan doesnt really show how nice the bottom is. Anyhow, I thought of resubmitting it but I dont think I will. I am kinda toying with thought of starting a Mantle basic set. Ill have to see what my current submission results are. I have a 58' a 68' and a 66' in the process of being graded now. Thanks Matt.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My latest:

possibly the nicest 9 I have. couldabeena10

Steve
    Good for you.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice Staub, remember him from his Tigers playing days.

Just won this one:

Stingray
    Steve

The Staub is tremendous! Being a Mets follower while in school in NYC - I have an appreciation for the likeable bunch. It's just that the Yanks were much easier to reach by Subway!

Sting

That's a serious nice Kareem!

Will that be completing with your 84T set?

mike
    Mike

I went to the mailbox today and this was there - a present from Peetie! Can anything be more generous?

Thanx Peetie!
    Is this place great or what? image

If I had the money - I would seriously consider doing the complete auto set.

I'm still on the fence about Heritage this year - I'm waiting for the warden to give me the stay on execution!

mike
    Mike
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike

Very nice card! What a great gift!

Matt
    Steve, I agree that Staub looks like a ten. Thats a beauty! I love the 65's.
    Sting, Thats a nice Jabbar too! How far into this set are you?
    Mike, I dont really buy modern cards anymore, but seeing that Norris gives me the itch to start buying Heritage. Great card!!

Bob
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Kirk,
    Nice Jabbar card. I'm starting to feel slightly responsible for your starting that set. Good luck, always great to see your posts.
    Tom
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I had the money - I would seriously consider doing the complete auto set.

I'm still on the fence about Heritage this year - I'm waiting for the warden to give me the stay on execution!

mike >>

Ask the warden?? I thought that fine wife of yours for 25 years was buying you a case as a belated christmas gift?? I swore I read that somewhere.

I can only afford to buy 4 boxes to start with, I have them on order at my local shop. Probably will be a retail box here and there and hopefully get close to a set. I don't do the chrome set so some of you fine guys traded me sp's for chromes and I was able to finish the 05 set.

Either way Mike, you need to get on board. Wouldn't be the same without you.

Shawn.

<< <i>

<< <i>If I had the money - I would seriously consider doing the complete auto set.

mike >>

Ask the warden?? I thought that fine wife of yours for 25 years was buying you a case as a belated christmas gift?? I swore I read that somewhere.

I can only afford to buy 4 boxes to start with, I have them on order at my local shop. Probably will be a retail box here and there and hopefully get close to a set. I don't do the chrome set so some of you fine guys traded me sp's for chromes and I was able to finish the 05 set.

Either way Mike, you need to get on board. Wouldn't be the same without you.

Shawn. >>

Shawn
    Very good memory - actually she did - I'm the one - when I added up what I spent last year - well, it was thru the roof!!!

So, I'm the one on the 9.5 Step Program to a healthier Stone.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Mike
    Do you really NOT want to get into the Heritage? Think about it...all the scans....all the autos....all those SPs...the ripping of the packs...the smell of the bubble gum...the fun of putting a set together....and the '57 style!
    I think its time to jump off that fence!
    The 88 Fleer hoops is sort of a little diversion, was kind of getting a little bored of seeing 84s in the mail all the time. Hearing others talk about putting together a smaller set sounded like the right idea. I do not know if I will ever be able to get the 84 set ever completed that is a very long term project, but with only 132 cards I think I could get that one done, financially speaking in about a year and a half. Depends on how they come up on Ebay, I just might slow way back on my 84 set and just push a little harder on the 88 Fleers. No one to blame but myself, I am the one who has to spend the money.

Stingray
  • Here are two recent additions to my "favorite card" collection.

Question on the Mays, how come it looks like the text "outfielder NEW YORK GIANT" looks like it has been pasted or photoshoped on the card. What I mean is I can see an outline around the the text on the black part of the card. Is this common on 53s?

Stingray
  • This was done during the printing of the card. My understanding is that Topps placed the team name and position on top of the black space. The ink surrounding the team name and position does not match the black. The red block cards (e.g., Mantle, Paige) do not have that problem because the ink matches up. However, the black block cards have this photoshop quality. I have never seen a Mays without that quality. Whether it is a PSA 9 or lower grade.
  • It is not uncommon on the '53s to see that to varying degrees on the black bordered cards especially, not so much on the red ones. I looked at the scans of the ones I used to have and some don't show any signs of that and others show a little, none as obvious as that Mays though. 1950's printing technology at it's finest I guess, trying to print yellow and red on a black backround.
  • Here is another example with the black box.

Another one for the new set:

Stingray
    Sting

Another nice addition!

David

That Gilliam is absolutely amazing! That is definitely one of the top sets ever made!

mike
    Mike

I know we don't many who care much for these - but I like them a lot - when I was a kid we got these at the stadium for a quarter!

Anyone like pins?
    mike
    Mike
  • Mike,

Nice pins !

I don't have anything as nice as yours but i do have a bunch of Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl pins.

Never really got much into collecting them but i always thought they were kind of cool

Dave
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Here's some modern garbage.

• I love the Topps Heritage collection. I have opened a lot cases of Heritage (I have 5 on order for this years Heritage). They are great (and difficult) sets to put together. Are you working on complete Master sets for each year or just select subsets. I have alot of inserts/cards from various years of Heritage. I have sold off all of my autograph cards. However, I still have a lot of game-used/chromes/refractors available. If you are looking for any cards in particular, please let me know.

David

OK...if pins don't get it....how about this?

ONL ball from J. deBeer and Son - I'm guessing late 50s early 60s ball - sealed in box - got in around 1990 at Ft. Gordon, Ga - was a silent auction - paid 15 bucks I believe.

mike
    Mike

<< <i>Here's some modern garbage. >>

Mud
    One man's garbage...my treasure! You know how I feel about Heritage.

Nice collection!

mike
    Mike

My last thing for today - my closet is full of this crap!

Stub from the game - Navy won 7-0!

Not even a good baseball score! I woulda drank and passed out!!!

Mike
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Another all american for me......

I LOVE THESE THINGS!!!

2006 heritage should slow me down a little on these things though.

Shawn.

OK, I lied. I've been looking for this guy for a year! Accidentally found it in a box.

1960 Hartland Plastics Mickey Mantle.

I have three different Hartlands - I only need the 88 version to have all of them.

mike
    Mike

Wow. I think i finally figured out how to scan lol

just picked this one up for my Dorsett master set
  • Geez Mike, here I am trying to stay on the 9.5 step program and you're posting all that cool stuff - and as soon as I see it, I figure I need to start shopping for something like that. That is some really cool stuff.

BigRed - love the Sammy!!!

CCC - great Dorsett!!!

I love this thread. image
    << image >>

Here is a card i purchased in 1981 which i finally sent into PSA not too long ago

Thanks Mucky !

Sorry guys but im finally having fun with my new scanner image

This is my ticket stub from gm 6 of the 86 World series better known as the Bill Buckner game

I was 17 years old at the time and was taken to the game by my older brother who had the Sunday season ticket plan that year

One of the greatest W.S games ever and one i'll never forget. If only i had known that PSA would be grading tickets i would've kept it in better condition lol
  • Picked this up because I just really like the look of it:

I had no idea that GEM had a "Raw Card Review"-but the funny thing is that this card is easily a PSA 9, if not a 10. One more card down towards the completion of the set.

Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
    CardCore

Nice FB! TD and OJ - super 9s!

I like the WS ticket! That was one of the better series for me.

rlank

Why did you send the card to Gem? Just curious.

mike
    Mike
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    My PSA submission arrived today. I was pleased.

imageimage

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection