Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, I've never heard a Canadian say "aboot". Maybe I'm just not hearing it? I'm inclined to believe it's a myth perpetuated by the South Park folks.

Also, don't forget we don't graduate high school after 12th grade... up here it's "Grade Twelve" image
  • Options
    Sorry if I hijacked the thread... uh, here's another Pele... not new, but I do like this one a lot... 1/5 with only 1 higher...

imageimage
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    These Pele's are really nice.. really unique.
  • Options
    Just picked this up off eBay . . . A bit more $ than I wanted to pay. With my luck, it's probably trimmed!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That Pele stuff is really cool. I like the cards from non-traditional sports. I would put together a Lance Armstrong collection if there were any decent cards.

The only thing that showed up in my mailbox today was 2 800 count card boxes, so I thought I would show something else.

Here is a game used base from Yankee Stadium, June 18, 2005. I attended this game and it happened to be the game of Derek Jeter's first grand slam. Saw the base up for auction on mlb.com and bought it. Now if I can find a way to get Jeter's autograph on it, that would be really cool. The pic I purchased off ebay and thought it would be part of a cool display.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    tttt

Wha' no more cards, I am too tired to scan. I got my 1954 Red Man lot, actually PRETTY NICE. I'll try to post tomorrow night. I am dead.......
  • Options
    Tom, that's incredible! To own a base used in a yankee game is pretty cool but to be at the very game that the base came from where something significant happend is pretty awesome. Congrats on the buy.

MeatHook, sharp looking card nice!
  • Options
    Here's a little addition to my '75 mini set....

...love my minis! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArnyVee - whats the centering % on that '75 mini......looks to be a little off for a 9, imho.
  • Options
    The beginnings of my T206 Cardinals team set:
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>ArnyVee - whats the centering % on that '75 mini......looks to be a little off for a 9, imho. >>

I don't have it in hand just yet, but it looks little off to the right. We'll see.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Hello,

Haven't posted anything in awhile. I love seeing all of the stuff on here. Here's my contrabution.

The Trifecta.

1968 Topps

1968 OPC

1968 Topps Vene.

Anyone want to gues the grades I'll get on the opc and vene.
  • Options

Small sampling of the near set of 54 redmans I picked up..still need the snider and I dont want to pay 3k!
  • Options
    threepeat-
    Nice trifecta. That's a good looking Venezuelan card.

Mass,
    The Red Men are nice cards. Are you going to keep the set raw?
  • Options
    I dunno man....they are expensive to grade aren't they? I would buy some graded and some raw. I wonder if these are ever trimmed in raw form??
  • Options
    No more expensive that other cards. I think you could submit the commons under the PSA set registry special right now. Just can't mix them with standard size cards.

I'm collecting '55 Red Man, so far I've submitted 9 raw, 1 came back a 7, 4 came back 6, 4 came back 5, none came back trimmed.
  • Options
    Nice Red Mans! I appreciate those more and more as I see more and more. image

They look even better in the nice holders PSA has for them.. get them graded!
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree, I think the Red Mans are nice sets, and those are some pretty ones you've posted Rip. I've even thought of trying to put together a "no-tab" set, since I might be able to do that and still buy groceries.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Well i really wanted to do a regional type set, does this qualify as one? I was thinking about the Dan dees, red hearts or red mans. I have picked up a couple of red hearts too that are nice. Any other regional or smaller type issue out there (besides t3's) that are nice to complete?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual some nice stuff - especially those Red Mans!

I once considered the set but was busy with other stuff - now in higher grade, like the T3s, popularity has pushed the prices up.

Good stuff guys
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    If I ever finish my 55 Red Man set I was planning to move on to the Red Heart Set. They seem much more available and are a nice design and good selection of players. The problem is the same as any 50s set, how much is the Mantle card.

The other set I have been considering is the 1964 Standups as a set. If you want an older set, T201 Mecca doublefolders always seem to be available and not too out of hand.

One of the things I like about my Red Mans is that once I complete my 1955 set of which there are more graded cards than other years, I will have 3.6% of all the graded cards for that issue. By comparison, if I have a complete 1955 Topps graded set, I only own 0.38% of all the graded cards. Don't know what that means, but I thought it was interesting.
  • Options
    A couple more for tonight...

First to stick with the theme

• Options
    a non sport 50's too
    Make sure to read the back...very cool propaganda!

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    This was in the mail today:

But the UPS box was the star of the day:

imageimage

imageimage

I won them - all 4's, by the way - in the Huggins & Scott auction a couple of weeks ago. The Matty is what got me interested in the lot, but then I figured I'd just keep the nicest card or two in the lot and sell the others, even if that meant selling the Mathewson. Now that they're here, I really only want to sell one - maybe the Crawford - if even that. The Brown is probably the nicest card in the lot. Matty's the only one with a wrinkle and there's the little fleck of paper loss, but I still love the clarity and color.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    nice t206's!! I am working , slowly, on the t205 set. There was some nice lots in the mastro aucti9on, but hey were wayy too much $$$. Plus the one good card show a year is here next weeek, and I need some $$$ on hand
  • Options
    Steve
    I agree about the color on the Matty - can't beat the vintage pastel colors! I would keep'm too.

That's why I also like the T3s - the color of vintage can't be matched today - there's something about the turn of the century printing with litho style color.

You have been showing some really nice T206s! Congrats on some nice pick ups.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Since this is WS time, I thought I would show a mag I picked up for a few bucks that's really nice.

The 55 Yanks - but I also wanted everyone to appreciate the Topps ad also. Is this stuff great or what!

Can't argue with the ad - the 55s were really nice - and ironically around 1990, Tuff Stuff used to rate the sets in the price guide and both the 55 and 56T sets were rated LOW due to the 'horizontal' design!!!
    Go figure.

Also, of course, I like the 55 stuff because of the win by the Brooklyn Dodgers - Oh, and BTW, I happen to own the WS Press Pins from the 55 post season event of the century for NY'ers.

Mike
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Since you're talking about the Brooklyn Dodgers...leads me right into what the mail brought me today....

....nothing special, just another card for my '57 set! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    These are on their way, I am doing a 55 doders auto set, anyone have a 55 Hoak, or know if Hoak is tough?

• Options
    Arrived today . . .

• Options
    Those are some sweet cards NJ!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Stone. I think I will just sell the Crawford since it's image doesn't quite have the nice definition that I like.

Nice '55 stuff, everybody. Great year for baseball.

I'm slowly working on the T205's too, RinMA, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I think I'm at 20 percent or so now, but it's mainly commons. I still think the set - at least a basic set, without some of the text/stat variations - is feasible, but I'm not sure if I have the wherewithal to complete it. I always have a segment of my collection ready for a potential firesale in case something great comes along; right now I think my T205's would be the first to go if such an opportunity were to come up.

And great signline, Seraph! I have an extra Jap Barbeau right now if you need it. It's well worn - most likely a 2.
  • Options
    Here are a couple of new things.

First, something new. Here is a 1984 Joe Morgan I picked up. Always nice to have a 10, plus this is Morgan's last year in the bigs. I'm putting together a collection of the last cards of stars from my childhood that ended their career in the 80s. This was a nice addition. Morgan's only year as an Athletic. I think he is a great baseball guy for ESPN.

And here is a raw T207 that I picked up off ebay. I plan to submit, not because the grade will be great, but just to have it slabbed for my collection. T207s don't seem to get much play.

Wolverton was a solidly-built third baseman who batted more than .300 for the Phillies in 1901 and 1903. He rapped out three triples in a July 13, 1900 game. While managing the Highlanders (later called the Yankees) to a last-place finish in 1912, he frequently used himself as a pinch hitter.

Yawie, love those T206s you picked up.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the vote of confidence, Stone. I think I will just sell the Crawford since it's image doesn't quite have the nice definition that I like.

Nice '55 stuff, everybody. Great year for baseball.

I'm slowly working on the T205's too, RinMA, but I'm not sure for how much longer. I think I'm at 20 percent or so now, but it's mainly commons. I still think the set - at least a basic set, without some of the text/stat variations - is feasible, but I'm not sure if I have the wherewithal to complete it. I always have a segment of my collection ready for a potential firesale in case something great comes along; right now I think my T205's would be the first to go if such an opportunity were to come up.

And great signline, Seraph! I have an extra Jap Barbeau right now if you need it. It's well worn - most likely a 2. >>

Steve
    Since you started posting these nice issues, it gave me a desire to start a smaller set from this era but the T3 set eats up the finances. When I finish this set, I really would like to start another from around 1911.

Thanx for the scans!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tkd
    Nice Morgan even if I don't have an appreciation for his baseball commentary.

Good write up on Wolverton - when I put a T3 in the reg., I like to find something interesting to say about the player. If you feel like I do - I think the player comes alive - keeping in mind these are guys we have never seen play.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I think I'd walk over hot coals and shards of broken glass if the T3's ending tonight were waiting for me on the other side. Good luck, Stone.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I posted this over "on the other side of the planet", but these are my latest arrivals (aka, the $1,000 mailday):

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Did those really set you back $1000?
  • Options

<< <i>I think I'd walk over hot coals and shards of broken glass if the T3's ending tonight were waiting for me on the other side. Good luck, Stone. >>

I have a few snipes Steve but it's hard to say since they have been going for more than usual.

Plus, the last auction I may have shilled which probably cost me 100$ and there's nothing I can do.
    When the FB's have been given, I am going to call the guy up.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    $945.05 to be exact. $525 for the Gonzalez (Super-Fractor 1 of 1) and $405 for the Gold Refractor Redemption. The other 2 just happened to arrive the same day ($18.04 for the press plate, and a whopping $2.05 for the Adenhart).

<< <i>Did those really set you back $1000? >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Wow!

What exactly makes those refractor cards so valuable?

Are the value of refractors determined more by quantity of prints (ie, 1/1) than players on refractors?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    A combination of the 2. I think the cheapest Superfractor sold so far was $25 for a Mark Loretta (well removed from his rookie card), while the biggest (the Billy Butler Autographed Superfractor) sold for over $2000. Gonzalez is one of the better prospects in the set, and he doesn't have many other cards (just ones scheduled for Topps Series 3 - Traded), so it's not like there are a ton of rookie cards of his to choose from. This will be his best card, and if he performs the way I (and Baseball America) thinks he will, it'll be money well spent. Sure it's a risk, but I'd rather spend $500 on a risky rookie than $2000. Think of it this way; if you had the chance to spend $500 for Miguel Cabrera or Albert Pujols 1 of 1 Rookie Card (if one existed) back in 2000 or 2001, would you have done it?

The Redemption card is for a set of Gold Refractor cards of some of the top draft picks in 2005. I was going to wait until the sets were released and get one then, but I think that once they are live they'll sell for a lot more than $400.

<< <i>Wow!

What exactly makes those refractor cards so valuable?

Are the value of refractors determined more by quantity of prints (ie, 1/1) than players on refractors?

Julen >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I'm moving soon and was sorting out some ticket stubs I found in a folder and fell upon this:

I remember getting this after a Syracuse Chiefs game. Jeter hung around and signed for anyone that wanted one. He's definitely a classy guy.
  • Options
    oaktown,
    that looks like a good candidate for PSA/DNA.
  • Options
    Oakman
    That's terrific! You got it yourself - and that makes it even more personal for me. Hope you hang on to it.

It would probably look a lot better in a PSA holder if you don't mind spending the money.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice 84 Morgan tkd7, just won this one:

Stingray
  • Options
    Great stuff guys. This post may even surpass the gigantic Heritage thread. image

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Sorry about the huge scans...I need to learn how to fix that...but here are pics from a recent submission
  • Options
    Cool U.S. Prez cards. are you going for the set?

BTW - It looks like your'e using photobucket to host your scans. Just login and click on the "Edit" button under the scan you want to alter and click the percentage you want to shrink it to, and click "Resize".
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    No Oaktown, not going for the set. Just an incredible group of cards I stumbled onto and had graded.
    Yes, I am using Photobucket...thanks for the advice on the Edit!