Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Busy day at the mail box today. First, a couple of Cracker Jack cards back from PSA. I think the McGraw looks great for a PSA 3. I'm not sure why Marquard gets the mylar sleeve and McGraw gets the sized holder. The mark on McGraw is a small pencil mark on the back.

I was amazed at how fragile these cards are. Anyway, I'm thinking this might be the start of a nice prewar type set with HOFers as the examples. For me, PSA 3 is fine for prewar.

imageimage
  • Options
    Got a few more 1978s for my set

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Finally, a Mark Derosa game used Braves throwback jersey. I love the 70s Braves style jerseys. Derosa played college baseball and football at my alma mater. One of the few Ivy Leaguers to make MLB, he quarterbacked Penn to a few Ivy football titles.

I think it is time to take a break for a while, my wallet is feeling it!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super items tdk!

Nice jack cards!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Sweet Marquard, mind if I ask how much it set you back? It's on my wantlist but the last one I saw on eBay was PSA 5 and ended at almost $900.

1952 Parkhurst Jim Gilliam
  • Options
    The pair of Cracker Jacks were just under $400 ungraded.
    I plan to put the Marquard and some T202 and T206s up on ebay soon so I can pursue my other collecting interests.

Thanks for the compliments.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Love the Cracker Jacks Tom. Another gorgeous T3.. Nice Mike image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I love the Cracker Jacks too. I sometimes search for them on eBay, but have yet to acquire any. Probably because if I did, I'd want more and more. Same with the T3's.

Anyway, I got this back from PSA yesterday. (The only card on the invoice.) It's only a 2 - and I was actually quite relieved that it crossed smoothly from an SGC 30 because of the red marks in the lower right, which are even more plentiful on the blank back - but it is the key card in the '23-24 Wm. Patterson/V145-1 set.

And for your reading pleasure, Stone, a little bio on Morenz.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Red marks or not that's a great card. I have my eye on a Morenz autograph signed on a plain sheet of paper, hopefully I can obtain it to make one I of my cards.

got these in the mail yesterday.. pardon my lazyness to take new scans/pictures. image

Box of 1956-57 Parkhurst (AKA 'Missing Link' from 1994.) Only $16.50.

Signed Toronto Maple Leafs program.. including: Tim Horton, Bob Pulford, Eddie Shack, Rod Stewart, Andy Bathgate, Dave Keon, Bobby Baun,Red Kelly,Frank Mahovlich, Carl Brewer and George Armstrong.

also got some more signed index cards.. Bill Cook, Ken Dryden and Syl Apps.
  • Options
    Brum
    I know nothing about the Parkhurst set - but I'm a vintage Dodger fan - so nice card!!!

Steve
    Glad the card crossed - ya know - I'm willing to be that the red ink came from the printer - considering the monotone color - ya wonder what the heck?! Where did the red come from? Unless the printer uses a mix that included the red. Sometimes my color printer mixes colors other than black when printing something that looks almost totally black but to get the tone right, it will mix some blue in with the black ink.

Garret
    Of course - great auto program - I really like that kind of stuff. Will you frame it?

thanx for more great stuff guys - I enjoy looking.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, I'll enjoy looking at it until the Toronto Expo where I'll have it for sale. Should get top dollar for it there.. or possibly trade it away for something for my personal stash.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    My newest acquisition... before my handiwork and after

Before

After:

• Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>My newest acquisition... before my handiwork and after

Before

After:
    image >>

Hey are you a Spartan fan or just liked the photo of Sparty for your Icon?
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Awww....poor Bob Rodger's space was invaded! image I'm sure being between Banks & Mantle, there haven't been many Bob Rodgers cards in Mint condition, huh?

What did you use to cut the card out?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I am a Spartan... went to MSU, I uploaded the icon myself a while back...

The cuts were made with a paper cutter. The Banks & Rodgers were creased already. I cut the Banks the same way and put it on eBay. The Rodgers is looking pretty thin now.
  • Options

<< <i>I am a Spartan... went to MSU, I uploaded the icon myself a while back...

The cuts were made with a paper cutter. The Banks & Rodgers were creased already. I cut the Banks the same way and put it on eBay. The Rodgers is looking pretty thin now. >>

Nice job Josh!

Super card too. What kind of cutter? I think this was asked before but don't remember?

congrats
    are you sending it to PSA?
    if so good luck!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>I am a Spartan... went to MSU, I uploaded the icon myself a while back... >>

Sweet card and sweeter alma mater. I went to grad school at State and I am a big Spartan fan.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nice 78's guys...
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won these:

imageimage

I ask myself why buy 84s that are graded? Is it really worth it? At least I can afford them a little easier than my 75s, which has really taken a back seat to doing 78s and now 84s.

Stingray
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Picked this up last week:

Heck, I'd have just taken a PSA 10 of the card, let alone an in-person autograph from his rookie season.

And yes, the dust and junk is on my scanner, not the card or case. I had to lighten the image just so the autograph would show up, and when I did, it made the dust and what not show up a bit more.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

Just won this one.

Stingray
  • Options
    Neat Vlad auto! Rarely do you see you players sign those type of cards. Surface just doesn't seem very conducive to an autograph but obviusly it worked!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Can I ask what you had to give for the Vlad? It is a sweet card for sure.
  • Options
    Nice Vlad card!

I have a game used bat I picked up - auto'ed - bought it before he was as popular as he is today.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great Guerrero.. I love slabbed auto'd cards image
  • Options
    My first 10 for this set! Like that should be too hard. But hey, it is a lot cheaper on the wallet.

Stingray
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Here is a cool grouping of cards I have had, but decided to post them. for any twenty something collector, these 3 players summarize growing up and byuing too much 87 topps!

• Options
    Mass-
    Nice auto cards. I like the minor league cards. Full of promise. Did you purchase them autographed?

Stingray-
    Nice start to the '84 set. I admire anyone working on two big sets like you ('78 and '84). Any plans to buy unopened and submit yourself?

Amazing how different Vlad looks today. I guess the difference between Montreal and Cali.
  • Options
    Yes tk I did buy them already auto'd. THey 3 where at the same card show back in 86 before I picked them. I think these cards were being promoted there because I remember I had ONLY seen this set auto'd by those three. It made me skeptical until I sent them to PSA! I knew kind of what the auto's looked like before hand, but this was 1986!! People hardly even trimmed cards back then let alone fake modern autos!!!
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up 12 of these - in spite of their political incorrectness, I love the artwork and subject matter. The ACC designation is N135 - Talk of the Diamond, issued by W. Duke Sons & Co. around 1893. Now that I have these, I need to shell out for one in really outstanding condition:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Sting
    You always post some really nice cards! Anything psa 10 is an enjoyment!

Mass
    Great grouping of autos! The Mark is super - also there are a lot of Bo "knows" fans out there - the Jose?
    Well, I don't know anymore. Thanx for the posts.

Mark
    Those are off the chart! Classic vintage artwork - and with a baseball theme!!!!

Great stuff!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I have always wanted this set:

The Official Baseball Card Game - 1970 - Milton Bradley

And key: the cards look like they have never been handled - just natural "aging" appearance.

You get a really nice 2nd yr. Reggie in the set along with Rose. Of course, unfortunately, Mantle was already retired.

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone-
    Nice game. I'm amazed at how quickly you are finding this stuff!

Here is a 1964 Giant that came back last week from PSA. I think the Giants are great cards. This photo of Frank is great. I love the pinstripe uniform vest from the early 60s.

Here is the back. I noticed that Topps recycled the photo on the back of the '64 for the '05 Heritage Flashback card.

• Options
    Great stuff guys!

These just in.....When I was a kid I carried around my Orr cards in my pockets. The 68 was my favorite and took the brunt of my youthful admiration. Picking up this 68 Orr was probably my most satisfying acquisition to date. image

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Very nice stuff - I think the '64 Giants present incredibly well in the holders. The photography was top notch; the respect (or lack thereof) that this set gets is all about supply and not appearance. It's a great looking set.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options

<< <i>Very nice stuff - I think the '64 Giants present incredibly well in the holders. The photography was top notch; the respect (or lack thereof) that this set gets is all about supply and not appearance. It's a great looking set. >>

Did they find aq whole bunch of these (giants). How were they packaged? I am wondering why they are relatively cheap, and have always been.
  • Options
    Does Marty Howe look like he was in "Slapshot" or what? Nice Hockey!
  • Options
    Love the '68s, Bob! I'm assuming the Topps Orr isn't as insanely difficult as the OPC one, but it's still a great card. And I'd never seen that WHA checklist before. Denoting les recrues seems very futuristic for 1974.

I got a few T commons in the mail the other day. These are probably my two favorites out of the eight to ten cards that arrived:

• Options
    tkd
    Nice Robinson! And I agree with Mark, they look great in the PSA holder.

Interesting observation on the 'recycled' pic - good eye!

This is nothing new tho - check this out - it goes to the next poster of BB cards - Yawie.

Steve
    Very nice pickups! Those players are in the T3 set and notice that back around 1910-11 they were 'recycling' pics:

T3 Chase:

Steve's Chase: same pic!

Onlypsa
    I know nothing of hockey but I always enjoy your posts - superb cards!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

Love those T3s, what is your total count up to?

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>Stone,

Love those T3s, what is your total count up to?

Stingray >>

Sting
    PSA graded and on the registry - 13/100. So, I have a long way to go. Jay aka Qualitycards has been moving mountains on his set - he is our resident 'expert' and at the rate he's going will be the next guy to complete the set. Some of the stars are expensive - even at PSA 1!

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Two recently purchased prewar hockey cards from Chicago and Las Vegas respectively. I guess they don't make them like this in the Great White North anymore.

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Comet
    Those are two outstanding cards.

RIM - motherlodes of '64 Giants have turned up over the years, some people remember being able to buy scads of them at Dodger Stadium in the 70s.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Thanks Mark. Here are a couple more to share...

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Awesome stuff, Mr. Comet. If I start another hockey set, that'll most likely be the one, though I'd probably do it in the 2-5 range.
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome stuff, Mr. Comet. If I start another hockey set, that'll most likely be the one, though I'd probably do it in the 2-5 range. >>

Thanks Steve. You and I know, even in PSA 2 to 5 your set would still be quite rare AND spectacular.
    - Calvin
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Comet
    Those are really cool and I don't know what I'm looking at!

I figure vintage pre-war anything is off the chart!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    OK this is a bit off the wall...

St. Ignatious High School of Cleveland - today:

And how about a uniform from the late 40s/early 50s?

Couldn't fit the whole shirt in but you get the idea - just imagine how hot these things were! I played a long time ago but not with anything like this.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm itchy just looking at that jersey - zat yours?
    Mark (amerbbcards)