Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm itchy just looking at that jersey - zat yours? >>

Yes Mark
    Picked it up on ebay very cheap - a fun item for the baseball nut like myself!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    got this today.

• Options
    Nice card Chris!

Can't see the corners - looks like a solid 7? Are you going to submit? I like the Mantle action cards - they're Mantle and affordable.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Thanks mike i am going to submit it soon. just hope no problems if there are problems, from now on i will only buy graded on ebay as i have been burned before.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    WOW, that vintage 1933 hockey is very cool.

So Mike, is there ever a day that your mailbox is empty? Sunday?

Here are some T206s that just came back from PSA.

Deacon Phillippe with an El Principe De Gales back.

Phillippe was the Pittsburgh star in the first World Series (1903) when injuries decimated the Pirate pitching staff. He pitched a six-hitter to defeat Cy Young in Game One of the best-of-nine, a four-hitter to win Game Three, and, following a rain-out, a nine-hitter to win Game Four. After two straight Pirate losses, Phillippe pitched his fourth complete game but lost to Young. Three days later, he threw his record fifth complete game and allowed only three runs on eight hits, but Boston's Bill Dinneen ended the Series with a three-hitter.

imageimage

A Terry Turner with Sovereign back.

Turner played in a Cleveland-record 1,617 games in 15 seasons, splitting most of his time between shortstop and third base. Generally a subpar hitter, he nevertheless hit .308 in 1912 and three times broke up no-hitters. Because normal slides hurt his ankles, he pioneered the use of the headfirst slide.

imageimage

And a Hal Chase card Yawie just posted, this one with a Piedmont back. No need to post Hal's bio....

imageimage
  • Options
    That '65 Mantle is one of my favorites, even the though the picture looks like he's actually striking out.

My third Mathews autograph, 1967 was his only season with the Astros, and a partial one at that before getting traded in August to the Tigers.
  • Options
    Brum-

Those are nice autographs. Eddie really looks strange in that 'Stros Uniform. That Pie Traynor is sweet!
  • Options
    Once again you guys make us proud to participate at this forum with some really nice stuff.

tdk
    As it goes for p/u's - you're no slouch yourself!
    Really nice T206s!

brum
    As usual, you brought your 'A' game with some nice autos - nice Pie!

This thread has turned into a 'museum' and worth going back to review on a rainy saturday with time on one's hands!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    brum...did you buy that pie auto or sent it in yourself?
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Whew! What a mail week for you guys, great stuff! Orr's, Mantles, T3's, autographs oh boy! image

I got this..

A decent display but I've already torn it apart to get the autograph out to make a card. image

• Options
    I picked up the Traynor at most recent Fort Washington show and submitted it there. I submitted autographs to Spence in Chicago and Fort Washington but most of what I look for and pick up on eBay are in PSA holders. I'm surprisingly not too picky about the holders and have a good mix of both. The dealer I bought it from had just picked up a collection of quality autographs, mostly HOFers as well as other stars. The collector was a stickler for quality and the Traynor shows the caliber of autographs he collected.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread has turned into a 'museum' and worth going back to review on a rainy saturday with time on one's hands!

mike >>

But the bad thing is that I see so much that I'd like to start adding to my collection. I should call my 403(b) manager and just have him put all my money in T3's. They're probably outperforming my portfolio anyway.

And nice cards, tkd! Fronts and backs. Thanks for the info, too. I didn't know that Turner was a pioneer of the headfirst slide. He looks a bit like a young version of my father-in-law, too.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    yawie-
    I hear you. I think this thread has gotten me into prewar vintage stuff that I wouldn't have looked at before. I'm sure a T3 is soon to follow.
    Tom
  • Options
    All nice stuff. My most recent additions:

"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The Vlad cost $330. Since a PSA 10 list for $300 in SMR, IMHO, I got a steal! As for new arrivals, this came in yesterday:

Autographed basebally by Walter Johnson, Bucky Harris, Charles Gehringer, Same Rice, and Harry Heilmann. It's toned, but it's nice. image
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, that vintage 1933 hockey is very cool.

So Mike, is there ever a day that your mailbox is empty? Sunday?

Here are some T206s that just came back from PSA.

Deacon Phillippe with an El Principe De Gales back.

Phillippe was the Pittsburgh star in the first World Series (1903) when injuries decimated the Pirate pitching staff. He pitched a six-hitter to defeat Cy Young in Game One of the best-of-nine, a four-hitter to win Game Three, and, following a rain-out, a nine-hitter to win Game Four. After two straight Pirate losses, Phillippe pitched his fourth complete game but lost to Young. Three days later, he threw his record fifth complete game and allowed only three runs on eight hits, but Boston's Bill Dinneen ended the Series with a three-hitter.

A Terry Turner with Sovereign back.

Turner played in a Cleveland-record 1,617 games in 15 seasons, splitting most of his time between shortstop and third base. Generally a subpar hitter, he nevertheless hit .308 in 1912 and three times broke up no-hitters. Because normal slides hurt his ankles, he pioneered the use of the headfirst slide.

And a Hal Chase card Yawie just posted, this one with a Piedmont back. No need to post Hal's bio....

>>

And who says lower-graded cards aren't attractive???????image
  • Options

<< <i>Autographed basebally by Walter Johnson, Bucky Harris, Charles Gehringer, Same Rice, and Harry Heilmann. It's toned, but it's nice. >>

Sean
    You bet that's nice! Anything with those sigs on it is off the chart! Congratulations on a superb p/u.

Last year I picked up an old ball that was psa/dna'ed just for the KiKi Cuyler which was one of the better sigs on the ball.

Mac
    I like the golf card - who is it?

Knucks
    Very nice auto - I'm looking forward to seeing it with one of your creations!

Coming over to this thread always makes my day - and puts a smile on my face! image

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. It is A.J. Stout. The only golfers on this Churchman that I recognize are Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen and Vardon, but I like the artwork on all of them.
    schr1st: that auto ball is fantastic!
  • Options
    Adding a little bit of modern flavor to the collection:

And an oldy but a goody, one from the archives. I picked this one up three or four years ago now.
    A very young John Kruk in the family kitchen in West Virginia...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A very young John Kruk in the family kitchen in West Virginia...
    image >>

COOL mullet!!!
  • Options
    That Kruk is great! I remember hoarding his cards in pretty early in '87 and telling my friends that this guy can hit. I based my opinion after watching a Braves Padres series on TBS. In a couple of months they were wondering why they didn't listen. That Old Boy could rake!! Fun to watch him hit with his unusual style. I love him on Baseball Tonight. What a great picture. Want to sell it? Seriously. PM me.

Damian
  • Options
    Damian
    Wasn't Pete Incaviglia's RC in the 87T set also? For a little bit he was hot as hell also.

That's a cool pic!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

Yes he was. '87 Topps the first year after many that the gold rookie cup appeared on all star rookies. I remember watching a highlight in which he hit one off the right feild foul and the Sportcenter dudes commented that they were surprised it didn't knock the pole down. I think it was in old Teger's stadium. Wonder what Pete Inkie is doing now. Ah, late 80's baseball. I can smell the gum from those damn green '87 packs. The best pack I opened that summer had Mcgwire, Canseco, Davis, Mattingly, Joyner, and Boggs all in one pack! No sh!t. A gold mine for a twelve year old in August on that summer. My stepmom bought me that pack (maybe three total but I remember that one pack had all those cards) after we got gas at a convenience store in my home town of Sioux Falls, SD.

Damian
  • Options
    Just added this to my Pele master set... image

• Options

<< <i>Just added this to my Pele master set... image

image >>

Cool card

How did decide to collect Pele?

I remember when he was the hottest thing on TV!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    im too lazy to scan...but i picked up a 33 goudey jimmy foxx at a flea market for $8. PSA 2 quality
  • Options
    Awesome stuff especially those opc's from comet! WOW!

These came in Friday from Steve Hart...
    The scan doesn't do this card justice. The colors jump off this card. Very nice 68. RC 1/3 no tens.

1/3 no tens.

hi end 8 when compared to the two 9's above.

key card

This came Friday from Jerry Romanko
    Terry was the epitome of nhl tough guy. His bouts with Gilles & Schultz still put me on my feet everytime I watch them. He didn't have the offensive abilities of an Orr or Espo but he had more heart and sack than the rest of the team combined. To this day Terry is considered by most to be the ultimate Bruin.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I posted these, or not. I got them about two months ago, but I've been too busy to post much since then.

I've really liked the 1958 All-Star subset ever since I was a kid. I think the Mantle is one of the best looking cards of the decade.

• Options
    Here are a few new ones:

I picked these 2 up at the awful "Boston Red Sox Reunion Show" over at the Bayside Expo center. I figured that with the # of autograph guests they had at the show that it would be a big card show as well. Whoops. There were maybe 20 tables, and no one seemed all too happy. I picked up these 2 from one of the only dealers there that had cards that I would have even considered spending $ on. I'm glad they were set up, as the show would have been a total waste of my $10 (yes, $10 admission) to go to the damn thing.

This came with the Walter Johnson autographed ball I posted the other day. Both have L of A's from James Spence/JSA, so I'm happy. image

I picked this up on eBay last week. The seller sent it Priority Mail, and I had it by Saturday. It's nice when sellers don't take forever to send out a card. This goes nicely with the 1994 SP PSA/DNA 8 Autographed Rookie Card I have of him.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    ajw-
    Nice Mays cards. I always liked the '58 subset as well.

schr-
    I'm always amazed at the vintage autographed cards that are posted. Those are some nice ones. Are you planning to get them slabbed?

psahockey-
    that 1975 O'Reilly reminded me that in 1975 I bought a bunch of hockey cards as a kid that year. I wasn't even a hockey fan, just a card collector. You have some nice cards there.
  • Options

<< <i>How did decide to collect Pele? >>

I'm a big soccer fan, and Pele is to this day the most recognizable figure the sport has ever produced, so it was a bit of a no-brainer for me.

It's going to be a tough set to complete, with a lot of foreign cards you rarely see over here. image
  • Options
    Bob, great 68's! I'd like to do that set someday.
  • Options
    I plan on sending all 3 of them in, with a bunch of other nice cards I've picked up recently (1940 Play Ball Harry Hooper and Frankie Frisch autographed cards from Lelands, and some cool 75 Topps Mini JSA certified autographs, especially a Catfish Hunter/Reggie Jackson dual signed card). Right now it's a matter of selling some cards to be able to afford others. They'll all get slabbed at some point in the future.

<< <i>

<< <i>How did decide to collect Pele? >>

I'm a big soccer fan, and Pele is to this day the most recognizable figure the sport has ever produced, so it was a bit of a no-brainer for me.

It's going to be a tough set to complete, with a lot of foreign cards you rarely see over here. image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Won these:

imageimage

Stingray
  • Options
    I got one of my favorite cards growing up...

...I love the '75s and in the early to mid 80s the Jim Rice and Gary Carter rookies were the hottest things.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    hah! Cool Kruk!

The Pele is neat, it looks a lot older than '71.

Bob, Incredible Parent RC! Once again you've made me wipe a bit of drool off of my laptop. image

The Willies are nice 7's, the '60 All Star cards are sweet.

Very cool vintage autographed cards, love these in any shape/form.

Sting, nice pick ups. Your set is really coming along nicely.

Arny, picking up a old childhood favourite is always special thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>Arny, picking up a old childhood favourite is always special thanks for sharing. >>

I like how you spell favourite!

Question OF though, when is the best time to register your set do you think? At a certain percentage?

Stingray

• Options
    Sting image

The Canadian way.. along with colour, cheque.. can't think of others.. image
  • Options
    Just poking a little fun, no harm intented. Ey?

Stingray
  • Options
    I think that this may be from the same collection as the earlier Stengel photograph.

• Options
    Nice Elston Howard photo. I always like the vintage snapshots.

By the way, I thought the note on the back of the card was a little suspicious. The Yankees were playing at Shea Stadium in 1975, so I did a little research.

From BaseballLibrary.com

Saturday, August 2nd, 1975
    IN THE NEWS: Billy Martin becomes the new Yankee manager, replacing Bill Virdon, named by TSN as last year's Manager of the Year. He won't be out of a job for long.

New York Yankees 5, Cleveland Indians 3 at Shea Stadium
  • Options
    Wow! I would have never thought of that, I was a month away from my second birthday that day in 1975. The Old Timers game was indeed on that date, just not at Yankee Stadium. I wonder who added the notation and when?

• Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Another addition to my set of high-end 1957 PSA 6 stars and a key card for my 1963 set:

• Options
    That Stargell rookie is nice!
    Here's some of my new ones:

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That Pele card is totally awesome. The colors just make it look like something from another era. I'll have to check out your other ones.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Which Elston Howard did PSA give the thumbs up to, the front or the back? They definately arent the same sig
  • Options
    I believe it's thumbs up on the front auto only, the back was probably written by the owner of the photograph. I think the back is just Elston Howard written in cursive and not intended to be any representation of his signature, at least that's how I looked at it. My guess is that the Old Timers Game notation was added at a later date and either someone forgot about the Yankee's Shea Days or just didn't know.

No new mail today, a couple more from the archives. I've had these since 1987 when I got the sets for Christmas.
    imageimage
  • Options
    buc...one of the nicest stargell rookies ive seen at NM. good buy
  • Options

<< <i>Sting image

The Canadian way.. along with colour, cheque.. can't think of others.. image >>

Labour, neighbour, flavour, odour, honour... plus we pronounce the last letter of the alphabet "zed" image
  • Options
    How abooooooot Centre, eh? Restrooms are not bathrooms, but washrooms. It set me back two loonies to play Chexx hockey at the hockey HOF in Toronto.

Oh yeah, what do you folks call pajamas? Payjaymays, or something like that?

I'll never complain, however; Canandian Walleye are second to none.