Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Bob,

Those hockey cards look fantastic! The centering on those '63's isn't easy.
  • Options
    Not in the mail yet, I won it tonight while I was away.

1964 Kahn's football. Got it mostly for my RAMS collection. Not sure if it's a set I will persue or not.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Finally landed a Vada Pinson - only 3 more to go!

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Those '65s are so clean looking. I like that set. What do commons sell for in 8 and/or 7?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Well, I haven't actually rec'd it yet, but hopefully it'll be in my mailbox by the end of the week. This card has been somewhat of a white whale for me for the last 20+ years. It's also been a long time since I've bought a hockey card at all (over 10 years).

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Great Orr Rookie Brian, definitely in the top 5 or even top 3 of the best hockey cards to own.
  • Options

<< <i>Those '65s are so clean looking. I like that set. What do commons sell for in 8 and/or 7? >>

Generally 7's go for 6-10 and 8's from 12-18. There is more demand for 8's. Tough 8's go from 30-50 and "low pop" 8's as high as 800+ (charlie smith).

I got lucky as I bought this lot for $36 although I only needed Pinson, but I believe the last Pinson on ebay sold for 50-70 by itself.

A good 1965 thread if you want to know more.
  • Options
    < Great Orr Rookie Brian, definitely in the top 5 or even top 3 of the best hockey cards to own. >

Brian, Don't listen to Garrett. I think he's been leaning in too close to the glue stick while creating his cards. image

The Orr rookie card is the Holy Grail of hockey cards. Well at least to us Boston guys. The guys in Detroit and Edmonton probably have a different opinion.

I have one myself but it has one touched corner. I'm afraid to grade it because it would kill me to see the card in anything less than a 7 holder. Great card! Keep me in mind if you ever decide to move it.

Thanks tkd & CARDKid... the 63's are killers on centering. I went through two raw sets and tons of singles and still had to buy a lot already slabbed.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow
    What's on the back of the Kahn card? Very nice.

Brian
    Looks like you picked up some nice 65s! Where you at in the set?

Brian #2
    Super solid 7 Orr card! I would be proud indeed.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Brian
    >>

Hey Mike, I still need the most expensive card - Mickey Mantle, 1 more common - Wes Parker, and a tough minor star - Tony C.

How are your 63 Fleers coming along?

Brian
  • Options
    Some modern stuff:

• Options
    Modern but still 24 years old.. very nice. image

Bob, you bean towners crack me up. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Brian
    >>

Hey Mike, I still need the most expensive card - Mickey Mantle, 1 more common - Wes Parker, and a tough minor star - Tony C.

How are your 63 Fleers coming along?

Brian >>

Brian
    I'm at a wall - I will not pay smr for a card right now - if I see later that I have to, I will. I'm setting right at 50%.
    My T3 graded is only at 12% - awaiting to add one more....the competition has heated up and I wish I hadn't procrastinated doing something with the set since now it's going to get more expensive to work on.

thanx for asking
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    NJ
    Very nice stuff!

What's the theme? Super Roger cards - are you doing his set?

thanx for the great scans!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    damn t206 cobbs keep eluding me...

nothing great, but building on my topps 2004 retired auto collection...

• Options

This is a tough one for me. This is a Parker Bros. game - first time I saw one was in 1997 at an antique fair and the guy wanted 125$ - too steep for me. I found this one on ebay for 15 bucks.

The problem is that there's no date - the Memorabilia Catalog has the game dated at 1908 but this is more the construction and artwork of a 40s game. I will have to do some research. Plus, there's an ad piece in the box for games like Monopoly which first came out in '36. Now, someone could have stuck it in there but I doubt that. Now, I'm not disappointed in picking up a pre-war game for 15 bucks - plus the outside is in great shape - writing on one side - "peg baseball" and the inside looks like it was never played!

thanx for viewing
    Mike

MD
    Nice auto - is that pic right off the ebay sale? Would like to see a nicer scan when you get it.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>image

This is a tough one for me. This is a Parker Bros. game - first time I saw one was in 1997 at an antique fair and the guy wanted 125$ - too steep for me. I found this one on ebay for 15 bucks.

The problem is that there's no date - the Memorabilia Catalog has the game dated at 1908 but this is more the construction and artwork of a 40s game. I will have to do some research. Plus, there's an ad piece in the box for games like Monopoly which first came out in '36. Now, someone could have stuck it in there but I doubt that. Now, I'm not disappointed in picking up a pre-war game for 15 bucks - plus the outside is in great shape - writing on one side - "peg baseball" and the inside looks like it was never played!

thanx for viewing
    Mike

MD
    Nice auto - is that pic right off the ebay sale? Would like to see a nicer scan when you get it. >>

Mike, in one of my memorabilia catalogs, it lists that game as 1908, as you stated, but in an older one I have, from 1993, it gives a date fo 1915, so.............................
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    stone...just bought it off ebay today. I'll post a better pic wheni get it. Pretty decent BIN too. I am trying to complete this set. I am not too found of modern sets, but somehow this set captivated me. Plus, it has a great selection of player autographs. Completing this et via busting packs is insane...these boys went for like 20 dollars a pack with low odds of getting the top autos and high odds of duplicates. I dont know about you, but i wouldnt want to have two autos of buddy bell in my collection (sorry, buddy bell collectors!)
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    NJ-
    Nice 1981 Fleers. I don't know how many people appreciate how awful these cards were when they were made. If I take my raw set and put the cards side by side, it looks like the NY skyline there are so many miscuts.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I remember buying those trying to get those error cards by the tonful.

Stingray
  • Options
    If I were to sell these modern cards on eBay, what is a good starting price. Looked them up in SMR and looked to go for about $100. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Here are some new items................

I bought this ticket along with a 54 World Series program for $25 about 20 years ago. I think it presents very well in a PSA holder

Another '55 Red Man for my set. I now have 40 out of 50 in the set ranging from PSA 5 to 7....

I purchased this Allen and Ginter a week ago. I don't know if you will find a better looking PSA 2. Just a bit of paper loss on the reverse. I would love to have a T206 Wagner in PSA 2 that looks like this.

imageimage

Stone-
    Have you seen Smithsonian Baseball? There is a 14 page chapter on baseball board and coin games "When it was a game - The Dr. Mark W. Cooper Collection". I think you would enjoy it. It pictures games back to 1869.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about your game itself, Stone, but the fact that it is a "Base Ball" and not a "Baseball" game suggests that it was produced not later than the early '30s.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    That is a Parker Brothers Peg Base Ball game. The 1908 version has a picture of a player inside a baseball diamond and the 1961 I believe has a white cover with the artwork off to the right side with someone who resembles Ted Williams. I remember hearing that this one was originally released in 1940. Any baseball board games in really nice condition are some of the best displays you can find...
  • Options
    I like that Red Man, tkd. I like that whole set. How are the prices on those? I'm just wondering if the article in the SMR mag stirred up interest.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    I've found that prices on the Red Mans for grade 6 and up generally go at or above SMR. There are so few graded examples that they come up infrequently. I have 4 grade 5s that are from my own submissions. It is extremely hard to find raw cards that will grade above 6. Right now there are only 7 sets in the PSA registry of which only 2 are complete. I haven't registered mine yet. With the competition for cards, I'd rather not let people see what I need. When I do complete the set, I will feel like I really accomplished something.

At the Ft. Washington show last month a dealer had a PSA 8 Berra with a price of $975. Out of my league.
  • Options
    tkd
    Very nice tic stub! One of my favorites that I own are stubs from the 52 WS - both Yanks and Dodger's - not graded tho.

On the Peg game - thanx everyone for the input.

Here's the rules and a brochure for Parker Bros - I can't say for sure whether the brochure was original to the game but 2.50 for the standard Monopoly game seems kind of high for even the 40s but with no date this is tough.

I need a better source - and some pics would be nice.

Our ability to purchase decent reference books leaves something to be desired. In fact, I have a 1988 Beckett Memorabilia Catalog that not only lists the price of all the press pins - to date - but also a picture of each one! You won't find that in later editions.

I'm getting very interested in this stuff - and I will get to the bottom of this - it's time to start enquiring.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    That's pretty neat, Mike. I think the earlier post about "Base ball" being two words is interesting, too. Let us know when you track it down. I learned to play Monopoly with a set that had everything in wood--houses, hotels, men, everything, except the board, which was cardboard. That set disappeared, of course, but it had lots and lots of games under its belt when it did.
  • Options

Well for those who enjoy the graphics of these games - here's one from 1957 called Home Team Baseball.

I'm going to need some decent shelf space for these jobies!

And, I will be posting a really nice Mickey Mantle game next week. It's complete with all the pics of him in the game! I've seen them before but usually without the main photo of the Mick.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    And last, I picked up this Lou Boudreau auto to companion with his line up card that I picked up a while back. Notice Teddyball in the lineup.

This is the kind of stuff that gets me excited - but not extremely - hot babes fall into that category! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the kind of stuff that gets me excited - but not extremely - hot babes fall into that category! image

mike >>

well since this is mail call, i've got a russian mail-order bride supposed to be on the way .. FedEx i think.. i'll post scans when it arrives..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Nice board game, it looks to be in great condition. I've seen some of the older Mickey Mantle games, but not with many pictures that I can recall......it would be neat to see a pic of that Mantle game you have.

On a side note, I picked these up last week. By the way, anyone happen to know who the bottom right autograph is?

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the kind of stuff that gets me excited - but not extremely - hot babes fall into that category! image

mike >>

well since this is mail call, i've got a russian mail-order bride supposed to be on the way .. FedEx i think.. i'll post scans when it arrives.. >>

I am looking forward to that Perry!

Oh, and BTW, I picked up this very clean Sweet Caporal pin - I'm a sucker for anything that can be pinned onto a baseball cap - that's what kids did with this stuff once upon a time....

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, if you are truly getting into the early baseball board games, might I suggest looking into joining the Association of Game and Puzzle Collectors. I use to be a member, but let it lapse a while back. There are many VERY KNOWLEDGABLE members in it, one of whom supplied pictures from their private collection of sports games, to some of the memorabilia price guides (Malloy's is one, if I remember right).

BTW, Monopoly was introduced in 1935, so that brochure at least is no earlier than that.

• Options

<< <i>Mike, if you are truly getting into the early baseball board games, might I suggest looking into joining the Association of Game and Puzzle Collectors. I use to be a member, but let it lapse a while back. There are many VERY KNOWLEDGABLE members in it, one of whom supplied pictures from their private collection of sports games, to some of the memorabilia price guides (Malloy's is one, if I remember right).

BTW, Monopoly was introduced in 1935, so that brochure at least is no earlier than that. >>

Thanx!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i really like those sweet caporal pins, mike.. you guys are creating more competition for yourselves by posting these sweet pick-ups.. heh.. it causes me to search for all kinda cool stuff.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Whoa. That Boudreau gets me excited. I spent many, many hours listening to him on WGN radio with Vince Lloyd. Boudreau had the best baseball mind I've ever heard. That's priceless stuff, Mike. Thanks for showing it.
  • Options
    real nice pin, stone. how much was it?
  • Options

<< <i>real nice pin, stone. how much was it? >>

Around 35$ MD

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Won this one, seems as though my 75 set has taken a backdrop to my 78 set in the last few weeks.

image and my first 84.

Hey Stone I finally got a webhost for my pictures, about time!

Stingray
  • Options
    Cool ticket Tom. Stuff like that is great..

Mike, nice to see 'Stones Memorabilia Museum' will have some great additions with the games and machines. image How much is it to get in?
  • Options
    For those that are not familiar with this card's usual centering, you probably can't appreciate it as much. But, this is one of the toughest cards in the entire '72 Topps Baseball set and...it's mine! Yippy Ky Yay Mutha Grabba! image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congratulations Arny!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I know most everyone here hates Modern, BGS and Basketball so you should all realy hate this card....

Sorry for the blurry scan but my scanner doesn't like BGS cases.
    They no longer price it but the last Beckett value on it in 2001 was $11,000
  • Options
    Damn nice Jordan auto. I've always liked this one:

• Options
    My latest pickups:
    imageimage
    imageimage

Additions to my Marlins graded collection. Picked em up for about $7 total.

And a new HOFer
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!

By the way, nice Jordans guys.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice Jordans! $11,000.. phew.. I would have a hard time not selling it no matter how nice it is. image
  • Options
    Allen
    For some reason, I can't see your card?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I just added this T3 to my graded grouping - a HOF'er! Evers.

It's a PSA 3 - a really nice card at a good price too!

I don't know - but it's gonna take a while to complete this set!

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike