Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options

<< <i>And great signline, Seraph! I have an extra Jap Barbeau right now if you need it. It's well worn - most likely a 2. >>

Thanks! But I already have a Barbeau coming in. Thank you for the offer, though. image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Those are too cool.. thanks for sharing the pres cards.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Nice Hi end early graded example. I lucked out.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nice card Steve!
  • Options
    Great Rose Steve.

I got these in the mail.. They'll be cards soon.

Turk Broda

Charlie Conacher

- Garret
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just bought this one:

Stingray
  • Options
    Picked up the following for my 76-77 Topps Basketball Set. I am finally at 10% completion and I am going to register the set! image

imageimage

imageimage

SMR is $286.00 and I picked them up for $143.00 (50% of SMR). Very tough to do with PSA 9's on this set!!!

PSA 9 pop's are as follows:
    #56 Mike Riordan 18 (2 PSA 10's)
    #68 George "Iceman" Gervin 35 (2 PSA 10's)
    #75 Alvan Adams 22 (2 PSA 10's)
    #79 Mike Sojourner 23 (1 PSA 10)
    #129 Nate "Tiny" Archibald AS 44 (1 PSA 10)
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    besides 2004 Topps Retired autos, i havent bought any cards in the past few months. Reason is ive been waiting to acquire this card...

i might try to improve to a 4 (although a 4 is typically 50-75% more than a 3)...but right now im happy with the card.
  • Options
    Very nice major!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Just received this... it's a 1968 booklet with black and white pages that feature all the "Tipps" panels from 1968 Bazooka packages.
  • Options
    Very nice major!

I don't get it. All I see is a red "x". image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    It was a red ty cobb.........t206
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thanks wp. sorry, i hosted the pic on geocities...and you know geocities isnt the most reliable...
  • Options
    image Very Nice!!!

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10

My Sets
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice Cards Guys!

Steve I know you're getting close on that 65T set!

Now, my 63F set has been suffering from benign neglect so I picked up a couple - one as recently as tonite from BBCEx - will have scan when comes in.

Here's the Howser I picked up. For someone wanting to do an older set at fair prices and not a lot of cards - this is the set for you.

Plus all and all, nicely centered 8s are not that expensive.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice beehive on Jackson... just back from his audition with the B-52's???

• Options
    Just bought this one:

Does anyone know how to enlarge a photo on photobucket?

Stingray
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    The finest 76 Winfield I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    That's damn nice.. Looks like a 10
  • Options
    Really nice card John!

Knucks
    I'm looking forward to your work on the sigs!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

Received this in the mail today. 1970 postcard of Perez I picked up on Ebay. No picture included with the auction and I ended up pleasantly surprised for once. imageLink

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Another 10 for the set:

Stingray
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    These are actually from Tuesday's mail, when I got an invoice back from PSA, but I've been too busy to scan everything so far. I did finish scanning the stuff I'm going to list on eBay tonight and these E92 Dockmans:

The Wild Bill Donovan was probably the biggest beater on the invoice, but it's also one of my favorites from this submission. Guess it's the color and background. I'll try to get some T206's up later. A few more 1's there, but for some reason, I really dig the 1's I landed on this invoice.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    yawie,
    nice cards. looks like they got the mylar sleeve treatment.

i have to agree, not all 1s or 2s are created equal. i think there are some low grade vintage stuff that has great presentation. i'll be looking for your auction.
  • Options
    Very Nice Steve - the mailman has been sending you an unending supply of great vintage!

Here's my latest and last, for a while, T3.

There's evidence of shilling on this sale - not totally possitive - I'm going to check it out later.

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know how to enlarge a photo on photobucket?

Stingray >>

Bad news on enlarging a photo in Photobucket -- you can't! You'll have to reload it from your original image.

I only check this thread out every other week or so...I can't control my drooling when I peruse it and end up dehydrating.

Thanks for the vicarious experiences. Once I get the youngest son through college (he just started) and my job cross-training done, then maybe I can afford to start buying again...

hh
  • Options
    Man, that stinks, Stone. The possible shilling, not the card, that is. For as hot as T3's are, to shill them has gotta be pretty high on the greed-o-meter.

It has been a bountiful fall for me mail-wise, but it's kind of the hobby version of the hurry-up offense. For it might all come to a screeching halt in February when our second child is scheduled to "pop out," to use the lingo of my 3-year-old. With my wife planning to take some time off from her job, I'm sure I'll have to slow down the buying.

And thanks, tkd. Here's a shamless, wrong-forum link to my auctions.

Back to the scanner...
  • Options
    Arrived today . . .

• Options
    Jersey,

That looks like high end 8 or 9 material there. Get it off Ebay or locally? Nice looking for sure.

Stingray
  • Options
    Nice card NJ

Getting it graded? If so, please post the result.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yawie, mike very cool vintage as usual.. I would like to get into baseball but I'm affraid of the health risk of eating kraft-dinner too often. image
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    The UPS guy brought this two days ago. I'm not sure if I should keep it as is and have PSA authenticate -OR- if I should cut it & have Knuckles make a card & get it slabbed. Opinions?

Advert for Munson, Lyle and Blomberg signing at the Mid Island Shopping plaza on August 8, 1973...

Close up of the Munson auto...

Thanks,

Mike

PS sorry the scan is so big-this is the first time I've used PHOTOBUCKET
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Does anyone collect auto'ed books?

I have a small collection and this is the 2nd Mantle auto'ed book - this one has the PSA blessing also.

1985 first printing of "The Mick"

I have personally found that autos of HOF'ers in books go for less than other types - probably cause they can't be displayed - but the books are good reading and they let people "think" I can read! image

Thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ice
    I believe the item can be restored and placed on a silk backing - how much that will cost is another thing.
    If PSA gave it their blessing - if it were mine? I would look up people who repair/reconstruct paper items and see how much it would cost. That definitely looks like Munson's sig!

Very nice item - even in that shape - may I ask where you got it and about what it cost?

Congrats on a great item
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>The UPS guy brought this two days ago. I'm not sure if I should keep it as is and have PSA authenticate -OR- if I should cut it & have Knuckles make a card & get it slabbed. Opinions? >>

IMO, those autos probably wouldn't work well as cut sigs because they were all done over background pictures rather than on the blank white areas.

Edit: here's how the Munson would look image

• Options
    Wouldn't be a bad cut but a little distracting Phreaky.

Here's a 4x5 I have - didn't get it myself - so I don't know if it's an auto pen - doesn't have the strong start - stop features of an autopen but I'm stupid when it comes to this stuff.

If this got the PSA ok - it would be a nice item!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I finally got one of my most coveted cards

• Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Stone - nice 4X5's!! I got the Munson/Lyle/Blomberg in an off-eBay deal for $260. The like this piece for a few reasons. First, because the Munson auto is solid. It's a little faded but it's clean (no background distractions). Second, the auto can be tied to a specific signing date. The guy that I purchased it from said he had it signed in person by all three at the Mid Island mall signing when he was 9 years old. August 8 is significant because Munson's first start for the Yanks was August 8, 1969.

Phreaky - good point, the top of that inset photo could be obtrusive on a cut card. Maybe Knuckles has more magic up his sleeve! The only thing that started me thinking about a cut card is that the auto is small enough to fit completely on a card. Not sure if you saw UD's chop-job that looks like it's signed by "hurman Mu".

I'd be leaning more toward keeping the document it tact if it just had paper missing, but it's pretty well stained (looks like water damage) and young Andy (the guy I purchased it from) and his sister (who had the hots for Blomberg) wrote on the front & back. I think you can see the stray marks on the scans.

I'm really sitting on the fence on this one. Knuckles work IS amazing, but the document is filled extraneous elements that really capture the era (ie Mall signings, etc.)

Mike

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Just showed up in my mailbox today from PSA/DNA. Sorry if you remember this one in its pre-authenticated days.

Even better slabbed. I'm happy they kept my Smokin' that I put on my submission form.
  • Options
    Here are some of the T-card highlights off this week's arrival from PSA. I'll start with a couple of new portraits:

And a few new St. Louisans:

A totally unexpected 6:

And a couple more smashing PSA 1's:

The Phelps is also a 1, but I think it's a fantastic looking card. I'm all about color and clarity.
  • Options
    Very cool tkd - looks very nice!

Ice
    You would be surprised how that item could be cleaned up and silk back matted - I have seen poster repairs that were nothing short of miraculous.

Buc
    Superb card! Congratulations!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice cards Yawie. I like that Jordan myself. the Doyle looks nice too.

I see many of the backs are from the first series (150 subjects)

Good job

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks, WP! I've been digging the portraits more and more lately and really like the Jordan.

And, Stone, I forgot to mention how cool that book is. I don't think the Mick will ever be confused with Dostoevsky, so I'm sure you can handle it. image When I first read it when I was about 13 or 14, I thought the Phil Linz harmonica story was the funniest baseball story I'd ever heard. It probably still rates pretty high with me.
  • Options
    Super group Steve

Ya know, the Charles card reminds of the Cobb - bat on shoulder variation - but then again I need glasses?

Has anyone asked you? Are you doing the 206 set? That's quite a set and undertaking!

I figure it will take me about 30 yrs to finish 100 cards in the T3 set!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea. I do hope to acquire all of the St. Louis cards, incuding Demmitt and O'Hara, but I don't really have any other definitive plans. Horizontals? Portraits? Southern Leaguers? Catchers? Sweaters? The whole thing (financially realistic variation)? I dunno, but for the time being, I'll probably just keep chipping away at all of them.

That said, I'm generally not as attached to my T and E cards as I am to a couple of my hockey sets. I may upgrade or even downgrade cards from my C56 and V145-1 sets from time to time, but I hope those complete sets are with me for as long as I'm in the hobby, which hopefully will be my entire lifetime. My baseball collection is a little more transitory and I could see myself selling chunks of it here and there if other stuff caught my fancy. Heck, I just sold my E90-1's so that I could afford that T206 Matty portrait and a few E93's. Who knows? I may sell them next time I see a nice Demmitt or O'Hara. I enjoy collecting for permanence, but a revolving door of sorts is nice too - especially if you're not made of money.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    nice cards, yawie!.. is that the order you've been waiting on since 8/18?.. i know your stoked to get 'em back..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Yeah, it was. I guess they barely made good on the 45-day turnaround. Never fails. Oh well, I'm pretty happy to have them back and to have some stuff for eBay so I start the cycle again.
  • Options
    1964 Topps Giants HOF Autographed

In the middle of the page it says Click To View A Larger Image & u can get a much better look at it. If anybody knows how to put the picture in for me, it would be most appreciated! I am clueless with those things!

Elston Howard

This is the cornerstone of my collection. Won the Heritage auction today containing 18 signed cards including the Mantle & Clemente! I have 39 other cards already signed including the Fox & the other 12 players who are deceased. Won the Howard a week ago. Only need 4 more. 2 are being signed at shows in the next 2 weeks. Which only leaves me with the Pinson (deceased) & the Cepeda (which should not be too tough.) The whole 60 card set signed & mounted!! Just love the photography on these 64 Giants.

After I am through I plan on framing all 60 cards & with 20 HOF's, I think it will be quite impressive. (I am counting Torre, as he should get in for managing & a 71 MVP.) I am gushing right now. When it is complete, I will post a pic, but it won't be for a few months.

Have always wanted this & soon it will come true. Already have a place for it!
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Congratulations Ted!

Quite a "cornerstone"! How to display the set is a major issue. I would be tempted to line my wall with it!

Which are the toughest autos? I know the Nellie is?

Very nice and thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!! So thrilled!

The deceased players are

2 Ken Johnson died in 2004
    8 Roy McMillan 1997
    11 Roberto Clemente 1972
    13 Nellie Fox 1975 (which I have been holding onto since 1980!!)
    21 Elston Howard 1980
    22 Dick Farrell 1977
    25 Mickey Mantle 1995
    40 Dick Radatz 2005
    42 Dick Stuart 2005
    54 Leon Wagner 2004
    56 Vada Pinson 1995
    57 Ken Boyer 1982

9 of them I have signed in pen & I would like to upgrade them to blue sharpie once I can find them. They are the commons & are tougher to find signing these days. Need to upgrade Bailey, Ellsworth, Fregosi, Pearson, Brinkman, Pascual, Ward, Causey & Alvis

What a trek but what a sense of accomplishment when finished!!

Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.