Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options

I think I'm up to four Mathews autographs now, for $20 slabbed I couldn't resist!

Vintage Killer postcard:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brum
    I really like the Killebrew!

Zef
    Congrats on getting the 1000!

This has been a great thread
    A virtual library of some of the nicest collectibles I have seen
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Actual photo. It's the US Army team. One player on the team played for the Pirates in 1917.

• Options
    I forgot about this one! I need some help with the line up in the picture though, I've listed what I think is the order and identities but any help is greatly appreciated. It looks like a HOF induction or ceremony of some kind?

l-r:
    Ted Williams, Chandler, Robin Roberts, Mize, ? , Billy Herman

Judging from the heavy use of acrylic and Haband catalogues I am guessing early 80's. I think that Herman is to the far right and did not sign over his own picture, but I don't know how is in back of Herman. The seller speculated Joe Sewell or Bill Terry but I can't tell from the picture.

And another one from the archives, picked it up on eBay last year. Pre-stroke J.R. Richard:
  • Options
    Didn't want this thread to fall like it did to the 2nd page image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The line up in the photo is Williams, Sewell, Roberts, Mize, Herman and Chandler. But I'm a little unsure on Sewell.
    Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    brum...real nice mathews....
  • Options
    Finally got my first submission in the mail on Friday. Here are the highlites. 9 PSA 8's, out of a 28 card sub, which totally shocked and surprised me, including the Ollie Matson which a few of you guys urged me to send in even though he is a HOFer (thanks!).

Lou Michaels (Larger scan)
    John Morrow (Larger scan)

George Strugar (Larger scan)
    Gene Selawski (Larger scan)

Ollie Matson (Large scan)
    Joe Marconi (Larger scan)

Jack Morris (Larger scan)
    Les Richter (Larger scan)

Roy Wilkins (Larger scan)

I don't like the way thes scans are coming out, so I am going to wait to see if I can get a better scanner and make some clearer (Less fuzzy) scans before I put them in the set registry.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    Bowdown
    Don't know anything about the set - nice cards.

thanx for sharing
    how many in the set?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone - It's a 40 card set. I'll have 34 of them on the set registry. They were sealed in cellophane wrappers singly, and inserted into bags of Bell Brand potatoe chips. As far as I know they were never available as a set via mail-in, just by buying bags of chips. They are frequently found with grease stains on them. These, however, in fact all the ones I got in the partial set I bought, had no grease stains. Either someone went to a great deal to find nice examples or these, somehow, missed being put into potatoe chip bags. I also have a few still sealed in their original cellophane that I got elsewhere.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Brumbach, you have some really awesome autograph stuff. I collect all those vintage autograph baseball items as well, especially index cards, cuts, signed newspaper clippings, postcards, etc. I bet you've even outbid me on a few auctions on ebay. Anyway, the autographs you post are pretty awesome, cool collection.

- Joe
  • Options
    here is one of the few I recieved in the mail recently, I will post others tonight

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    What an awesome day! My 70's sub got delivered and my 50's Commons posted with some sweet grades. Here are some of the highlights of my 70's Special Sub:

I didn't have any super-high dollar cards to send in this time, but was thrilled with my grades nonetheless. Many of my 70's sets and player collections just got some major upgrades!

-Todd-
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Todd-
    Great cards! I can't imagine what your super-high dollar cards are. Congratulations.
    Tom
  • Options
    IJust
    Tremendous common! I could never fathom trying to do an entire set in 9!

Todd
    What can I say - fantanstic - congratulations!
    What's keeping the Perez from being a 10!

The Royals team card is off the chart!!!

thanx for sharing
    I can go watch Monday nite FB now!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Putting all the cards from this sub away tonight and just ran out of Graded Card Sleeves....Grrr.

<< <i>Todd
    What can I say - fantanstic - congratulations!
    What's keeping the Perez from being a 10!
    >>

Mike, if you mean the '71 Kellogg's, I don't have a clue. I know it's pretty much perfect. I can usually tell if a Kellogg's card is going to be at least a 9, but I give up on figuring out how PSA decides which are 9's and which are 10's. Kellogg's cards are a different animal altogether.

-Todd-
  • Options
    thanks mike...

I have a ton of unopened coming heres the first box: 80-81 basketball ( I have 10 more packs of 80-81 on the way)

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    one more recent upgrade:

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice Aaron!

Won this one:

Stingray
  • Options
    Here's one from a the sept. special. First ten out of around 70 submitted.
  • Options
    Sting
    As usual nice pickup.

Twins
    Superb Kirby 10!

And the 55T Aaron is a beauty!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here's my latest pickup a 54 autographed Billy Martin, been waiting a while for this item!

• Options
    Nice 54s, why does Billy look so unhappy? Won this one:

Stingray
  • Options
    Didn't Billy always look unhappy!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

my first modern football purchase in QUITE A LONG TIME....a fraction of the cost of what it used to be too...

loth
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy many hockey cards but picked up this near set. I know it won't be popular with some. Just 2 cards to completion.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Wasy, r u trying to get the whole 54 set graded? I have a friend who as a boy worked for the Twins & has 150 1967 cards signed & am thinking about buying them. If u r trying to build that set, how long have u been doing it & is it really worth it?

TB
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Some stuff showed up in my mailbox today.

I collect baseball stadium postcards. Here is one of Doubleday Field in Cooperstown NY.

• Options
    Some cards from PSA that were a part of my 1950's set registry submission also showed up.

Here are a couple of 56's....

• Options
    And some 1957s. Can't wait for next years Topps Heritage to arrive. These cards look great...

In all, I got 4 1956 PSA 7s and 6 1957 PSA 7s back in my submission, along with a couple of PSA 6s, not to mention 24 1955 Topps All-Americans. Always a fun day when that big box arrives from PSA.
  • Options
    Halosfan-

I like your pickup. I'm a fan of the game used stuff. I think I'm in the minority.
  • Options
    thesplendidsplinter, no I'm not looking for the 54 set. Rather I collect Yankee autographs and I especially like them on vintage cards. Does your friend have any thing unique?
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Love those '54 Bowmans. Looking at them, I can't help but wonder why people have generally switched to the Sharpie for sigs on cards. The penned autos look fabulous - especially on vintage cards.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    those are some nice bowmans's

Love those 56's

wow nice 57's

Great postcard pic, what others do you have?

Sting-nice carlton,

heres some more packs that arrived today:

• Options
    Nice 75 cellos there, very jealous! Would not mind having that Laflore one for my collection. Nice stuff.

Stingray
  • Options
    I've been trying to get postcards for all the 16 original teams stadiums but Griffith Park is practically impossible. I also have a few others like Wrigley Field in L.A. and Gilmore Stadium in Hollywood. I should scan a few more.

I have to say I remember tearing open those 75's as a kid.
  • Options
    TDK7 I was poking around and found this link.

• Options
    Joe
    I like the postcard - but 50 bucks seems a bit steep?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    WOW nice items guys!

In my mail today:

for those that do not know, the Smith card, is the holy grail in regards to the 65 set.

Now all i need is card 277 Johnny lewis in 8 and my set is complete.
    I currently have it in 7.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I can't say if it is high or not Mike. He said it was practically impossible and I was bored.
  • Options
    Win Pitcher, what did the Smith set u back??
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't say if it is high or not Mike. He said it was practically impossible and I was bored. >>

Joe
    I was just asking - it may be very rare and hard to come by.

I don't collect post cards.

I do like it!

Are you going to buy it?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I am not that impulsive. I do know if I wanted something and it comes up once in a great while
    I would jump on it. The value I placed on it would mean more then a book value.
  • Options

<< <i>The value I placed on it would mean more then a book value >>

What do you mean by this Joe?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    There are coins I may like very much for one reason or another and they just do not show up anywhare for sale. Perhaps it is because they are not mainstream it does not matter why but I see them for sale once every five years. If it is something I truely desire and can not find if I see it it does not matter if a price guide says it is worth $50 or $150 to me for the satisfaction of owning one I may pay $300 or more.

I think anyone who is a collector would agree with this.
  • Options

<< <i>There are coins I may like very much for one reason or another and they just do not show up anywhare for sale. Perhaps it is because they are not mainstream it does not matter why but I see them for sale once every five years. If it is something I truely desire and can not find if I see it it does not matter if a price guide says it is worth $50 or $150 to me for the satisfaction of owning one I may pay $300 or more.

I think anyone who is a collector would agree with this. >>

Sure do Joe
    That's what I thought you meant.

Many times I will buy something that there isn't really a decent established price guide for - like a board game e.g. - if I like the board and the graphics, I try to purchase it.

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Picked this up in a trade this week:

It's an SGC 10, but I don't really mind the marks on back since there's no paper loss and everything's readable.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Joe and Mike-

I should clarify a bit. The stadium postcards I collect are color postcards, linen or pre-linen. I've seen the B&W Griffith Stadium postcard before but I don't remember the price. I do know that one is not very common either. I may need to add the B&W version since I haven't seen a vintage color one. The market for stadium postcards can be very high. Here are some recent examples:

Terrapin Park - MD

League Park

Washington Park
  • Options
    A few from my October 50's Commons Sub:

No jaw-droppers here, but some decent cards nonetheless. I thank my dad every time I see him for keeping the 50's cards he had when he was a kid. image

-Todd-
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    thats awesome...your dad owned those??