Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Another card from my recent SGC sub....

74 Topps Rusty Staub SGC 88
  • Options
    ok, I'm on a roll.....one more for the Boxing fans.

A souvenir photo holder from Jack Dempsey's bar....probably from about the late 40's by the look of the photo inside. Spotted this in an antique store.....and for once, it wasn't expensive.
  • Options
    Some raw cards I purchased through an ad in the paper.....

• Options
    2 more, from my local card shop. $1 a piece. The shop does almost 99.5 % modern but occasionally he gets a vintage card or 2.

79 Topps Alan Trammel and a 68 Topps '67 NL Pitching Leaders
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    South
    Super cards!

What does the photo look like inside the photo holder of the Dempsy item. Very nice. I like that kind of stuff.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

The photo inside the Dempsey thing is 5 people sitting around a table at the restaurant. Looks to be from the 40's...I can scan the photo if you'd like to see it.

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

The photo inside the Dempsey thing is 5 people sitting around a table at the restaurant. Looks to be from the 40's...I can scan the photo if you'd like to see it.

Jim >>

Thanx - sure would like to see it.
    Just imagine getting something like this signed - my favorite piece that I own is the "lobby" cards from the movie "The Greatest" with Ali. I would like to have had them signed but never had the chance.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Here it is.....I was hoping at first look that Dempsey was the guy in the middle but I think its someone else.

Look at the beak on the lady to the left!
  • Options
    One more recent purchase....bought it with the Dempsey photo at an antique store. I will admit that this pic is borrowed from one that just sold on ebay this week but what I have is the exact same item and looks to be in the same condition. As you can imagine, its hard to scan this thing on a flatbed scanner, haha.

I wont say how much I paid as I may ebay mine soon but it was fairly inexpensive.

Enjoy!
    Jim

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    DUDE DRINK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>DUDE DRINK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

40+ year old root beer? uh, no
  • Options
    South
    No Dempsey in that pic.

My guess? Those are "vanity" shots that people pay for when they go to the restaurant. Photographers walk the floor and "hustle" people while drinking and get them to pay a high price for a pic of their "moment" at the restaurant? Just a guess mind you.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

That was my guess as well. Kind of like riding a roller coaster and having your pic taken coming down the big hill image

In either event, I may ebay it since I'm not a boxing collector and it may interest someone who is.

What did you think of the Ted bottle?
    Jim
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

That was my guess as well. Kind of like riding a roller coaster and having your pic taken coming down the big hill image

In either event, I may ebay it since I'm not a boxing collector and it may interest someone who is.

What did you think of the Ted bottle?
    Jim >>

I don't know anything about them - in a sense of which bottles were produced and when.

As a displayable collectible? Off the chart!

I have a full 6 pack from Ripken's streak somewhere in the closet. If I had the shelf space, it would be out.

Very nice pick up. Is there any chance of knockoffs?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    As far as knockoffs go, I'm not sure. The soda has like zero of the carbonation effect left. The glass appears to be vintage and period specific. The cap is intact and appears to be original. I would think that in order to be a repro, it would have to be bottled under some other company like Pepsi etc. From what I've found, I think Moxie is still in business and there's nothing on the bottle to note that it was repro'd by another company. From what I understand, this was a late 50's, early '60-61 item. The one on the bay closed at $52, which is more than I paid.
  • Options
    Ranger 63's thread got me thinking about a quest I need to finish myself. I picked up this pro set album whick
    was given away at super bowl XXV. 1 per attendee. Well a friend of a friend was going to a wedding rehersal
    dinner Stephen Baker of the Giants would be attending and there would be no problem having items signed.
    So I had him sign the inside cover of the album and his card. Now I had to get the rest of the Giants to sign in
    a similar fashion. Thru sports card shows, card store promotions, appliance store promotions I have been able
    to get all the signatures with the exception of Bill Parcells and Phil Simms. I must be working on this for about 13
    years on and offand would love to finish this item. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

As it is I think it is great but it is always nice to be complete.

imageimage

• Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I love how the gentleman on the left is doing the "shoot me now" thing with his hand. I wonder if birdface has anything to do with that.
  • Options
    I was thinking he got that finger out of his nose just in the nick of time.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>I love how the gentleman on the left is doing the "shoot me now" thing with his hand. I wonder if birdface has anything to do with that. >>

Could have to do with his date?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I wonder if birdface has anything to do with that. >>

Too funny! image

Great stuff southern image
  • Options
    You guys are observant! I missed the guy and the hand gesture!

Quality stuff!

As an aside, I've decided to keep the Ted Williams Moxie bottle and not to ebay it (unless someone makes me a ridiculous offer). With that said, I'll tell you guys that I rescued Ted from the dusty antique store shelf for a mere $15 !!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are observant! I missed the guy and the hand gesture!

Quality stuff!

As an aside, I've decided to keep the Ted Williams Moxie bottle and not to ebay it (unless someone makes me a ridiculous offer). With that said, I'll tell you guys that I rescued Ted from the dusty antique store shelf for a mere $15 !!!!! >>

Seems like a very fair price.

Congratulations - I would be keepin that thingy myself!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Considering the same thing just sold on the bay for $52, I think I did fairly well......the Dempsey photo thing was $4.......2 great items for under $20 at an antique store no less! I was disappointed by 2 1945 Redskins ticket stubs that had been taped together. I would have snagged those as well.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    These just showed up in my mailbox.

First, a postcard from the Holiday Inn from Joplin, Missouri. The back states "Operated by Mickey Mantle. Mickey is pictured in the Dugout Lounge at the Inn". Quite a long way from Jack Dempsey's.
    BTW, that circle in the upper left corner is from a price sticker I peeled off the holder.

Next is my first vintage Ruth. It is a 1931 Japanese postcard that is a precursor to the 1934 baseball Tour of Japan.

Do you think I could get PSA to encapsulate the Ruth as "Authentic"? I think it would present very well in a PSA holder.

I bet you could get GAI to encapsulate that Williams soda bottle....
  • Options
    Received in the mail today.

Tough to find in this condition.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card, Comet. Nice sigline, too.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree.

I'm not a hockey collector but the card is off the chart!

How many cards in the set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Picked this up at the Chicago show....

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos
  • Options

<< <i>How many cards in the set? >>

'33 O-Pee-Chee Series A - 48 cards

'33 O-Pee-Chee Series B - 24 cards

To Steve and Mike - Thank you

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options
    Wick

Super nice card!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Great stuff everyone!

Wick, that Koufax is stunning!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up these two; both struck me as nice for the grade. Let me know if you all think either has a shot at a higher grade.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bosox
    I think that's a solid 7 Mays and the Aaron is really nice - wish I had his 54T card!

Super pick ups.
    Congrats
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Nice pickup Ryan
    A real solid 7!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Just got these from fellow board member Peter Parker. Thanks again Peter!

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    Golf
    Are those all Brit golfers? Never heard of those guys?

Nice cards.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Yes they are part of the 1927 Churchmans Famous golfers small set. I had the top set 3 years running but was lapped on the registry this year. This will help. They are somewhat "findable in 7's but 8's are a bit tough.

Here is another set I purchased straight from a dealer in England. It is a 1930 Pattreiouex Celebrities in Sport. A nice multi sport set. The scan is the first 10 cards. I mainly picked this up for the 4 golfers including Bobby Jones. The Jones should grade at least a PSA 6 and maybe a 7. ( by the way the golfers are not pictured on my scan) This is a fairly rare british issued. set.

This is one of my favorite british issued sets of the era.

• Options
    bosox...ive been tracking prices for aaron rookie since last year. if you dont mind telling me, where did you get that aaron card and how much was it (PM me if you'd like).

BTW..nice mays...
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Besides the wardrobes of the patrons, the restaurant experience really hasn't changed all that much over the years, has it?

<< <i>Mike,

Here it is.....I was hoping at first look that Dempsey was the guy in the middle but I think its someone else.

Look at the beak on the lady to the left!
    image >>

• Options

<< <i>Mike,

Yes they are part of the 1927 Churchmans Famous golfers small set. I had the top set 3 years running but was lapped on the registry this year. This will help. They are somewhat "findable in 7's but 8's are a bit tough.

Here is another set I purchased straight from a dealer in England. It is a 1930 Pattreiouex Celebrities in Sport. A nice multi sport set. The scan is the first 10 cards. I mainly picked this up for the 4 golfers including Bobby Jones. The Jones should grade at least a PSA 6 and maybe a 7. ( by the way the golfers are not pictured on my scan) This is a fairly rare british issued. set.

This is one of my favorite british issued sets of the era.

image >>

Golf
    I agree - very nice set with the insert pics.

I bought some stuff from Creamofcards - the guy was very nice to deal with.
    Next year I may work on some non-sport sets.

The golf sets are really nice - golf stuff has really gotten popular over the last 10-15 yrs. I got interested a bit due to the Masters which I watch every year - since 1970.

Good luck on the grading
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    We can't let the Golf guys have all the fun this week. I just received this lot of boxing cards in the mail yesterday. Made my weekend!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I love vintage boxing cards.
  • Options
    Primo Primo!

Very nice!

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Mike, picked up a nice lot of Millhoff Famous golfers on the bay a week or so ago. Here is the main reason I bough the lot. You can see the rest of the scans on the registry board under the vintage golf thread if you like.

Dave
  • Options
    Some new additions....

Another 55 Red Man for my set. 42 down, 8 to go

And a postcard from Jack Dempsey's Restaurant. The front says "Jack Dempsey knocks out Jess Willard Toledo OH, July 4, 1919 and becomes Champion of the World". The back says "May I play host and say hello to you in my restaurant where food and friendliness are knockouts".

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    tkd, nice Dempsey postcard!..

it's not a new item, but here's a scan of mine..

·p_A·
  • Options
    That's a nice postcard, autograph and all. You trumped mine.

Seems like a common postcard on ebay, which I really like. There are some great vintage postcards that can be purchased for less than $10. I've gotten a bunch of old stadium postcards that way.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a nice postcard, autograph and all. You trumped mine.

Seems like a common postcard on ebay, which I really like. There are some great vintage postcards that can be purchased for less than $10. I've gotten a bunch of old stadium postcards that way. >>

thanks.. didnt mean to trump yours.. image
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    All this vintage stuff puts my stuff to shame, just bought this one:

Thanks Meathook!

Stingray