Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I managed to finish a few scans tonight:

This is my first E95 card. It's a PSA 2 I purchased off eBay.

I cracked this E93 out of a GAI 2 holder. Still a 2.

Probably one of my favorite T206's I just submitted. A PSA 5 that fills a St. Louis hole.

<Homer Siimpson drooling sound>Horizontals...</Homer Simpson drooling sound>
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice T206s, I have always liked those landscaped T206s, not too many in the set were there?

Stingray
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    This arrived in yesterday's mail:

Nice 1 of 1 Superfractor of Wade.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice T206s, I have always liked those landscaped T206s, not too many in the set were there?

Stingray >>

Just six of them. I'm up to 5 now, but still need the most popular, Harry Pattee. There's a couple of other cards that are sometimes considered horizontals, but their acceptance isn't universal. I think Jack Dunn does look better sideways, but the background isn't like the universally recognized horizontals. I don't have one, but you can see one here.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    yawie,
    as usual, nice cards. That Mullin is great. His expression makes him look like a zombie.
    I'm sure its great to get a PSA5 back on a T206
  • Options
    FWIW, I am a PSA mbr as well. I apologize if anyone is offended by SGC posts... rec'd yesterday; image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I paid SMR but had no problem doing it, I like the card and dealer is reputable on e-bay. Give me trifecta for 1969 Mantles: NQ psa 6, 7 & 8.

Julen
    TGIF
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card Julen.

Curious...why did you collect the card in all three grades?

And, yes, TGIF!!!!

Merry Christmas
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    purchased psa 8 from mickeyssportscards couple years ago. psa 6 NQ mantle came w/ entire set i purchased from shaqfu/redzonecards. this one i bought this week, i really liked the card and was satisfied w/ asking price, wouldn't of bought psa 6 and psa 8 usually are NOT (sorry) sold at SMR.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Great cardboard as usual guys. image
  • Options
    I too was thinking how creepy George Mullin looks on that card. Here's a couple more favorites from that invoice:

• Options
    Very nice Steve
    On the Randall card, is that a scotch tape mark or what on the back?

What grades did the cards get? Just curious?

thanx for sharing
    Merry Christmas
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I've been picking up all kinds of stuff, so here goes...

First off, HOF autographs including a Cochrane from Mastronet in October and some others.

After 13 years I finally grabbed a 1992 Topp Gold set as well as the Gold Winners set.
    I'm happy to finally have this card, I guess you had to have been collecting in 1992 to know what it means...

I also picked up a bunch of oddball sets but haven't scanned them in yet.
  • Options
    Stone, the Merkle is a 4 (perhaps a tad generous due to the light vertical crease at the top) and the Randall is a 2. I wasn't really expecting a higher grade on the Randall because of that spot on back, which I'm assuming is some kind of tape burn, but the card otherwise looks terrific.

Here's another real nice 2 from the invoice. Unfortunately, I was expecting a better grade with this card. There's a very small spot where it looks like some sort of liquid dripped on the card to the left of Moran's face, but it hardly jumps out at you. I don't know if I overlooked it when I submitted it or just didn't think it'd impact the grade, but I really thought this one would be a 4.

By the way, if you ever want to play Guess the Grade with my images, you can right click them and go to Properties. The grade is the last digit in the file name.

I might have a few more pics to post later, but I'm also weighing what cards to take to eBay and when. I actually got a 6 and a 4 of Bobby Byrne on this invoice, but I'm leaning toward selling the 6 - especially since it's a former SGC 60 that I got in a trade. Actually the 4 was a former PSA 2 that looked way too good for that grade. Cracked it out, performed a little card alchemy and voila - it's now a 4.

I'm kidding about the card alchemy.
  • Options
    By the way, great sigs, brumbach. That Brien Taylor is an epic card - certainly worthy of a hobby time capsule! Seriously, though, ink sigs on vintage cards just look so damn awesome.
  • Options

This is a work of art!!!! One of the hobby highlites of the 92 season and a major bust to collectors!!!!
    That set was going for some serious coin for 1992 and people were chasing his RC like crazy!

Thanx for sharing
    Brought back some great hobby memories for me - especially since my son was at his height of collecting as a child - any father knows what that feels like.

Merry Christmas
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

In my mail today............true Ex/Mnt condition.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Super card Steve!

That's getting you closer to completion of one of the finest nonsport sets in the hobby!!!!

thanx for sharing
    Merry Christmas
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Flipping 4.14 for this MINT alexander rookie numbered to 2000 in a 100 dollar PER box..which had 2 rookies per box back in year 2000...wowzers what a deal!!!
  • Options
    Great stuff guys!

4 more 1st series beauties arrived today for my 69 OPC set:

image 1/3 none higher.

image 1/6 none higher.

image 1/5 one higher.

image 1/12 two higher.

I hate the condom on the Berenson. I wish PSA would find an alternative like a spacer or foam bumper or something. Anything but the baggie.

Happy Holidays to all! Bob C.
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Great items, fellas! Thanks for sharing . . . MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Few from last submission:

• Options
    Not vintage but it's Fuhr image I decided to collect all of his 80's cards.. Red Rooster issues everything (trying for all 10's) to go along with the mask I picked up at the Toronto Expo.

imageimage
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Knuckles ... That is sweet! where do you come across the masks??? Nice Fuhr too.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Forbidden Alien Love....

Mars Attacks is off the hook!!!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Yeah and she looks kinda young...dag on...wonder if she is a minor!!!! Does it matter with an alien??
  • Options

if its not as good in person.....its on the market...i own a nice 7 but i couldnt pass up on the possibility...looks PERFECTLY centered.....
  • Options
    halosfan: Thanks image

I got the mask from Don Scott he can make a replica of any mask. www.vintagemask.com

So far I have a Sawchuk, Plante and now the Fuhr. I would like to add a Dryden (the bullseye mask) to the collection next and also a Cheevers.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    VERY nice '69 OPC's-- that first series is an absolute bear to find in 8 or better.

The Espo in particular looks like a blazer. I'd consider cracking that a couple times and seeing what it comes back as.
  • Options
    Did you bid on the real thing the other night, Knuckles? Or win anything in the Oilers auction?
  • Options
    I placed a bid on his rookie mask but that didn't last long and I didn't have the means to continue.. I can't believe the replica mask exactly like mine went for $800ish when Don sells them for $240ish.

Didn't bid on anything else, how about you?
  • Options
    Nah, I was strictly window shopping. But I do wish I had bid on a couple of the card lots they had. Resonable prices, I think, on the '33 OPC and Hamilton gum lots.
  • Options
    Two in one sub . . . pretty pleased.

• Options
    Nice job Meathook, you sure seem to have the eye for getting some good grades.

Stingray
  • Options
    Just won:

imageimageimageimage

Stingray
  • Options
  • Options

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    The Rose is only graded a 7 but its an incredible 7...I couldnt resist..
    ">1973 PSA Rose
  • Options
    Let me try that again...and the Mantles are REALLY sweet!

• Options
    73 is a tough year....i agree...its always OC but when u find one centered is AWESOME

loth
  • Options
    Nice cards

Barry
    I was just wondering what you paid for the Mantle/Boyer card - looks like an 8?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I paid 115 for it...which I dont think was too bad...yes, an 8....I think my '62 is just as nice and that is graded a 7...I paid 95 for that one.
  • Options

<< <i>I paid 115 for it...which I dont think was too bad...yes, an 8....I think my '62 is just as nice and that is graded a 7...I paid 95 for that one. >>

Barry
    115 is a great price IMO.

Super!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Just picked up an 84 fleer set and all the major stars are dead on. Best centered set I have bought in a long time and I think the Mattingly is a strong 9, and on a good day?

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Bought this off Ebay:

Stingray
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Okay, I started my two year quest to complete this set in a PSA 6. I thought if I bought one a week.

So much for that. Started with some commons.....

Shawn.
  • Options
    These cards are beautiful!!! I've never bought anything this old and am officially in love.

Two more.....

Shawn.
  • Options
    I've also never bought anything graded below a PSA 7 before these cards. And although I would
    love to get these beauties in PSA 7 or 8 range, that would be financially impossible for me, especially
    after I start buying the key cards.

That being said, I'm still impressed by how good a PSA 6 card looks, especially examples that are nicely
    centered. Two more....six down, 94 or so to go. image

Shawn.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a question about posting phoptos/scanns. How do you post it into your message so it just "appears" instead of creating a jpg link that has to be clicked on??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-Claude
  • Options
    Claude, I'm a computer idiot, so I can't help you much. My bro-in-law has his own website and hosts the pictures for me. I think there are other websites that will host your picks for free, others on the board can probably help you out. I was having the same problem, and couldn't get a good picture at 50KB, but I needed a "real" computer guy to sort it out for me.

Stingray, I'm with you, those 84's look great. How are you coming along percentage-wise on finishing?? If I recall, all those 80's sets had 792 cards.......that's a boatload of PSA cards.

Barry, that Rose looks better than a 7. Very nice cards.

Zef, I have that mattingly in a PSA 9 and yours looks better. I'd send that one in, nice card!!!

Merry Christmas all,
    Shawn.