Home Sports Talk

The Kansas City Chiefs are setting themselves up for a major collapse this upcoming season.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    We should do better holding the media accountable for sensationalizing polarizing issues.

It’s good to live in a country where we can say things that others find distasteful or offensive and this is one of those weekends where I’m reminded of what the cost was.

If that was the message that college wanted then I’m glad that they had Butker there to speak. I don’t agree with the majority of his comments but I don’t think it will impact the chiefs next season. If it was to blow up to something mainstream I could see the team releasing him to avoid distraction. He’s a good kicker so you might see a new kicker come in and perform poorly or a new kicker come in and perform great. Then we can second guess the off season stuff with expert eyes.

The tone of the discussion here is pretty good though. Good discussion and very little unsavoriness.

Side note. I wanted to say there was very little unsavory commentary but my iPhone keeps telling me unsavoriness is not a word. Is it?

We're allowed to create our own words here at Sports Talk.

To yell with the grammar police. 😆

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:
    By now, you'd expect players to just keep those kinds of opinions and social commentary to themselves while representing the team. Tom Brady and Derek Jeter, both winners, were two masters at that. What was it the old saying again, "Just shut up and dribble?" No one cares (or at least shouldn't care) what you have to say.

The Chiefs will be just fine, though.

The Chiefs will be just fine for sure, but like what he said or not he wasnt representing the Chiefs or the league. He was speaking his own views in a private venue that had nothing to do with the team/team or league event

What athletes say and do in their own personal time off the field is their own business that has nothing to do with representing the team

There is no way a player says things like that and not have it blow back on the team. Brady and Jeter understood that. As Manning once said, though, kickers are idiots.

If the media wants to make an issue out of something thats their right, but its also the players right to say what they want off the field.

His Jersey became one of the highest selling in the NFL and even sold out in womens sizes afterwards by the way.

It's entirely arguable, possibly not debatable, that the Chiefs don't win at least one of their Super Bowls with a less talented kicker than Butker. I think Andy Reid and most of his teammates would agree with that.

For sure. The real kicker competition they have is with Ariaza who they signed this off season who was cut by Buffalo over false accusations in college. Very good chance he wins their punting job given he was arguably the best punter in college football history.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:
    By now, you'd expect players to just keep those kinds of opinions and social commentary to themselves while representing the team. Tom Brady and Derek Jeter, both winners, were two masters at that. What was it the old saying again, "Just shut up and dribble?" No one cares (or at least shouldn't care) what you have to say.

The Chiefs will be just fine, though.

The Chiefs will be just fine for sure, but like what he said or not he wasnt representing the Chiefs or the league. He was speaking his own views in a private venue that had nothing to do with the team/team or league event

What athletes say and do in their own personal time off the field is their own business that has nothing to do with representing the team

There is no way a player says things like that and not have it blow back on the team. Brady and Jeter understood that. As Manning once said, though, kickers are idiots.

If the media wants to make an issue out of something thats their right, but its also the players right to say what they want off the field.

His Jersey became one of the highest selling in the NFL and even sold out in womens sizes afterwards by the way.

It's entirely arguable, possibly not debatable, that the Chiefs don't win at least one of their Super Bowls with a less talented kicker than Butker. I think Andy Reid and most of his teammates would agree with that.

For sure. The real kicker competition they have is with Ariaza who they signed this off season who was cut by Buffalo over false accusations in college. Very good chance he wins their punting job given he was arguably the best punter in college football history.

Buddy Ryan used to say, a punter is a defense's best friend.

He was right.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek
    I’m more of an early 70’s music fan. By the time AC/DC because popular I was already past my music influences.
    Give me Wishbone Ash, Spirit and Floyd.
    But I respect the music, most music that came later.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    @stevek
    I’m more of an early 70’s music fan. By the time AC/DC because popular I was already past my music influences.

Spirit is very underrated. I really like their song, I Got a Line on You.

I've heard that Jimmy Page also likes their music, particularly opening riffs. 😉

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:
    @stevek

Spirit is very underrated. I really like their song, I Got a Line on You.

I've heard that Jimmy Page also likes their music, particularly opening riffs. 😉

Natures Way is my favorite Spirit song. It brings me back to 1971.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@erikthredd said:

Let's hope no Chiefs player pulls an "OJ Simpson" this off season. 😲

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

What? Who is Isaiah Buggs?
    And since when is he a Chiefs player? I’m starting to think any player that gets in trouble with the law is automatically assigned to the Chiefs by the NFL? 🤔

Pasted from Wiki:

Kansas City Chiefs
    On January 4, 2024, Buggs was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad.[16] Buggs won his first Super Bowl when the Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers 25–22 in Super Bowl LVIII.[17] On February 14, Buggs signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs.[18]

It appears that Buggs has not yet played in a game for the Chiefs. Not sure if
    Wiki has this correct or not that Buggs "won his first Super Bowl". Wiki is known to be prone to errors.

I didn't know that practice squad players got credit for winning a Super Bowl or shared in the revenue? Perhaps I'm wrong about that?

Practice squad player. Takes about 90 seconds to replace those, maybe a couple minutes if you need to get someones cell phone number

They get rings since they helped prepare the team, and some do end up seeing some playing time, but they get cut and moved around a lot. Theres a bunch of college guys every year that can replace them and some even just live in their cars they get moved around so much.

Its a tough gig for the guys that never started in the league even though it is decent money

Missouri 14 OSU 3

"Kansas City Chiefs Cancel Team Activities After BJ Thompson Suffers Seizure and Cardiac Arrest"

"The team’s medical staff worked quickly, an ambulance was called and the player is currently in stable condition."

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

The idea that any employee, of any company, should not be held accountable for what they do/say in public is laughably naive.

Is it his right to spout off hateful, bigoted, and homophobic comments? Of course. It is also the right of his employer (the team and the league) to hold him accountable and yes, fire him, should they so choose. Neither of those things happening would infringe on his first amendment rights - he is not being arrested for his speech - but every company has the RIGHT to disassociate with any person they feel paints them in a negative light.

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep betting against the Chiefs, see how that works out for you.

@Mistlin said:

Andy Reid has done a respectable job it seems of trying to keep his pompous players focused during this off season. Especially Travis Kelce, who without a doubt is the most pompous player today in professional sports.

We shall see if it works out or not during the regular season.

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

Andy Reid has done a respectable job it seems of trying to keep his pompous players focused during this off season. Especially Travis Kelce, who without a doubt is the most pompous player today in professional sports.

Good idea Steve!
    Let’s just hold on a minute! Sure they’ve made it to the Super Bowl 4 of the last 5 years and won 3 of those but let’s just see what they do THIS season!
    Of course I’m still a little pissed when I got stuck behind you at the water fountain. (After reading your posts for years I’m convinced that’s exactly what you would do 🙄)

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

hey D...I got ya all set up..🥤🥤🥤

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

Good idea Steve!
    Let’s just hold on a minute! Sure they’ve made it to the Super Bowl 4 of the last 5 years and won 3 of those but let’s just see what they do THIS season!
    Of course I’m still a little pissed when I got stuck behind you at the water fountain. (After reading your posts for years I’m convinced that’s exactly what you would do 🙄)

Dam I'm gonna have fun in this thread if the Chiefs get off to a slow start and don't make the playoffs. 😉

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

"pompous" with no explanation as to why you feel this way. Typical Philly jealousy nonsense. That Jason Kelce sure is a humble guy and not at all an attention seeker or pompous.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/xavier-worthy-shows-early-signs-for-concern-at-chiefs-training-camp/ar-BB1qqvDg?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=808dd4a06e1f41609f6b0d4e6709abbc&ei=20

Xavier Worthy shows early signs for concern at Chiefs training camp

Worthy skyrocketed up draft boards after running a record-setting 40-yard dash in 4.21 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

Good grief. Already looking like a first round draft pick bust?

Seems like Andy drafted this possible bust because of his 40 time, without carefully analyzing everything else. This is a mistake that loser head coaches and loser GM's often make. Andy may be slipping.

I'm guessing that the corners in the AFC West must be chit, and Andy figured a speedster such as this could blow right by them. Not a bad idea with the right player.

In all fairness to Andy, he's had an excellent run the past five years. And he's no doubt a future hall of famer. However it's very tough to stay at the top in the NFL. Especially at Andy's age, and his physical condition which has never been good.

I'm just doing my civic duty to help prepare Chiefs fans for a possibly very disappointing upcoming season.

You're Too Kind...

:)

Strange timing on Steve’s latest public service announcement about the Chiefs. A clip from Chiefs camp is going viral showing Mahomes completing a 60 yard bomb to Xavier Worthy. 😂
    Meanwhile this is how the Eagles looked at the end of last season’s epic collapse. Super fan Steve was quoted as saying ‘‘tis but a flesh wound”.

@Darin said:
    Strange timing on Steve’s latest public service announcement about the Chiefs. A clip from Chiefs camp is going viral showing Mahomes completing a 60 yard bomb to Xavier Worthy. 😂
    Meanwhile this is how the Eagles looked at the end of last season’s epic collapse. Super fan Steve was quoted as saying ‘‘tis but a flesh wound”.

i'm still in the local hospital recovering from it. 🤕

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

hey D...I got ya all set up..🥤🥤🥤

Just the most refreshing looking glass of water lol

@Mistlin said:

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

"pompous" with no explanation as to why you feel this way. Typical Philly jealousy nonsense. That Jason Kelce sure is a humble guy and not at all an attention seeker or pompous.

Travis is way worse than Jason and it's not even close

@perkdog said:

@Mistlin said:

@stevek said:

@Mistlin said:

Travis is way worse than Jason and it's not even close

If it wasn't for Jason, then Travis may have never been drafted by the Chiefs. Andy Reid knew Jason very well, and on draft day, Jason vouched for his brother who had drug problems in college.

The video on that, story told by Travis, is on Youtube.

Travis gets a bad rap, everyone who meets him seems to say he’s a really nice dude. I’m more worried about him going broke. They said it was either a afc champ. game suite or sb suite he rented for 3 mil. for Taylor and friends. Can’t imagine how much money he’s spent this off season.

Chiefs fans are swooning over the Travis new look. 🙄

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Jason Kelce sure is a humble guy and not at all an attention seeker or pompous.

Clearly he's not an attention seeker at all. 🤣😂
    The only real differences between Travis & Jason Kelce are one of them isn't dating a Pop Star and wasn't in 20 different Subway commercials with Patrick Mahomes. These two knuckleheads are both cut from the same cloth.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭

It does appear that they might be in violation of code 12345 - Having too much fun.

:)B)

@Darin said:
    Travis gets a bad rap, everyone who meets him seems to say he’s a really nice dude. I’m more worried about him going broke. They said it was either a afc champ. game suite or sb suite he rented for 3 mil. for Taylor and friends. Can’t imagine how much money he’s spent this off season.

Travis is very fortunate to have a loving, caring, well respected brother in Jason, or Travis may have gone off the deep end. I wouldn't wish to see him go broke either. Particularly to business manager shysters and such, as naive athletes too often do.

I just want to see Travis drop passes and lose football games, especially if the Eagles play the Chiefs again in the Super Bowl. 😉

Steve, fair enough. 😂

@Darin said:
    Steve, fair enough. 😂

My dream for the upcoming Super Bowl, is the Eagles leading the Chiefs by 5 points, one second left in the game, Chiefs on the Eagles one yard line, Mahomes does a fabulous job on play action, Travis is wide open in the end zone, Mahomes lobs an easy pass to Travis, but Travis drops the football.

I'd never ask for anything again. 😆

@Darin said:

That's weird. I actually read he was a wicked tightwad

His ex GF said something along the lines of she had to pay her way on certain things

Who knows or cares but it was something I read that could just be nonsense from a scorned ex

@stevek said:

@Darin said:
    Steve, fair enough. 😂

My dream for the upcoming Super Bowl, is the Eagles leading the Chiefs by 5 points, one second left in the game, Chiefs on the Eagles one yard line, Mahomes does a fabulous job on play action, Travis is wide open in the end zone, Mahomes lobs an easy pass to Travis, but Travis drops the football.

I'd never ask for anything again. 😆

The only realistic part of this scenario is the Chiefs in the super bowl.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

Three rings, yes, that is a great achievement.

But the Chiefs non-stop boasting and pompous attitude about a three-peat is the main reason for this thread.

Andy Reid seems to have already made a big mistake with his possible bust first round draft pick. There will be more mistakes to come.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/7/26/24206835/chiefs-injuries-xavier-worthy-nazeeh-johnson-return-to-friday-practice

Wide receiver Xavier Worthy and cornerback Nazeeh Johnson were both back at work on Friday.

Gee, it was sure nice of Xavier Worthy to come back for practice.

Maybe he thought after that fat signing bonus whereby he's now a multi-millionaire, that he could take a one or two year vacation first before showing-up for any games? 😆

@countdouglas said:

Wait until the Chiefs start losing football games. Taylor will dump Travis like a bad habit. 😂

Steve, you have to understand what it’s like to be a Chiefs fan. Us and mainly the players are taking verbal shots on a daily basis from the likes of Jamar Chase and other jealous players and jealous fans like you.

Apparently the Raiders, who haven’t won a meaningful game in decades, had a Kermit the frog puppet dressed up like Mahomes.
    When asked about it Andy Reid said we don’t spend a lot of time with puppets around here. 😂😂
    It just gets old, when fans of losing teams like you are trying to find chinks in the Chiefs armor when you should be worried about the Beagles huge collapse last year and if it’s going to happen again.

@Darin said:
    Steve, you have to understand what it’s like to be a Chiefs fan. Us and mainly the players are taking verbal shots on a daily basis from the likes of Jamar Chase and other jealous players and jealous fans like you.

Apparently the Raiders, who haven’t won a meaningful game in decades, had a Kermit the frog puppet dressed up like Mahomes.
    When asked about it Andy Reid said we don’t spend a lot of time with puppets around here. 😂😂
    It just gets old, when fans of losing teams like you are trying to find chinks in the Chiefs armor when you should be worried about the Beagles huge collapse last year and if it’s going to happen again.

How dare you respond with better smack than me. 😉😉

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

you guys are the best ☝️

and why am i not included in mistlin's ring of honor

was my batting average too high or something

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@stevek said:

@countdouglas said:

Three rings, yes, that is a great achievement.

But the Chiefs non-stop boasting and pompous attitude about a three-peat is the main reason for this thread.

Andy Reid seems to have already made a big mistake with his possible bust first round draft pick. There will be more mistakes to come.

Worthy is exactly what they knew he was, hes a DeSean Jackson type by a little faster. They didnt draft him to catch 5 yard passes over the middle. The hammy is in an issue but hes there to run past people and stretch the field like Hill used to do for them.

Missouri 14 OSU 3