Home Sports Talk
Options

The Kansas City Chiefs are setting themselves up for a major collapse this upcoming season.

13»

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    We should do better holding the media accountable for sensationalizing polarizing issues.

It’s good to live in a country where we can say things that others find distasteful or offensive and this is one of those weekends where I’m reminded of what the cost was.

If that was the message that college wanted then I’m glad that they had Butker there to speak. I don’t agree with the majority of his comments but I don’t think it will impact the chiefs next season. If it was to blow up to something mainstream I could see the team releasing him to avoid distraction. He’s a good kicker so you might see a new kicker come in and perform poorly or a new kicker come in and perform great. Then we can second guess the off season stuff with expert eyes.

The tone of the discussion here is pretty good though. Good discussion and very little unsavoriness.

Side note. I wanted to say there was very little unsavory commentary but my iPhone keeps telling me unsavoriness is not a word. Is it?

We're allowed to create our own words here at Sports Talk.

To yell with the grammar police. 😆

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:
    By now, you'd expect players to just keep those kinds of opinions and social commentary to themselves while representing the team. Tom Brady and Derek Jeter, both winners, were two masters at that. What was it the old saying again, "Just shut up and dribble?" No one cares (or at least shouldn't care) what you have to say.

The Chiefs will be just fine, though.

The Chiefs will be just fine for sure, but like what he said or not he wasnt representing the Chiefs or the league. He was speaking his own views in a private venue that had nothing to do with the team/team or league event

What athletes say and do in their own personal time off the field is their own business that has nothing to do with representing the team

There is no way a player says things like that and not have it blow back on the team. Brady and Jeter understood that. As Manning once said, though, kickers are idiots.

If the media wants to make an issue out of something thats their right, but its also the players right to say what they want off the field.

His Jersey became one of the highest selling in the NFL and even sold out in womens sizes afterwards by the way.

It's entirely arguable, possibly not debatable, that the Chiefs don't win at least one of their Super Bowls with a less talented kicker than Butker. I think Andy Reid and most of his teammates would agree with that.

For sure. The real kicker competition they have is with Ariaza who they signed this off season who was cut by Buffalo over false accusations in college. Very good chance he wins their punting job given he was arguably the best punter in college football history.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@grote15 said:
    By now, you'd expect players to just keep those kinds of opinions and social commentary to themselves while representing the team. Tom Brady and Derek Jeter, both winners, were two masters at that. What was it the old saying again, "Just shut up and dribble?" No one cares (or at least shouldn't care) what you have to say.

The Chiefs will be just fine, though.

The Chiefs will be just fine for sure, but like what he said or not he wasnt representing the Chiefs or the league. He was speaking his own views in a private venue that had nothing to do with the team/team or league event

What athletes say and do in their own personal time off the field is their own business that has nothing to do with representing the team

There is no way a player says things like that and not have it blow back on the team. Brady and Jeter understood that. As Manning once said, though, kickers are idiots.

If the media wants to make an issue out of something thats their right, but its also the players right to say what they want off the field.

His Jersey became one of the highest selling in the NFL and even sold out in womens sizes afterwards by the way.

It's entirely arguable, possibly not debatable, that the Chiefs don't win at least one of their Super Bowls with a less talented kicker than Butker. I think Andy Reid and most of his teammates would agree with that.

For sure. The real kicker competition they have is with Ariaza who they signed this off season who was cut by Buffalo over false accusations in college. Very good chance he wins their punting job given he was arguably the best punter in college football history.

Buddy Ryan used to say, a punter is a defense's best friend.

He was right.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek
    I’m more of an early 70’s music fan. By the time AC/DC because popular I was already past my music influences.
    Give me Wishbone Ash, Spirit and Floyd.
    But I respect the music, most music that came later.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    @stevek
    I’m more of an early 70’s music fan. By the time AC/DC because popular I was already past my music influences.

Spirit is very underrated. I really like their song, I Got a Line on You.

I've heard that Jimmy Page also likes their music, particularly opening riffs. 😉

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:
    @stevek

Spirit is very underrated. I really like their song, I Got a Line on You.

I've heard that Jimmy Page also likes their music, particularly opening riffs. 😉

Natures Way is my favorite Spirit song. It brings me back to 1971.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

Let's hope no Chiefs player pulls an "OJ Simpson" this off season. 😲

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

What? Who is Isaiah Buggs?
    And since when is he a Chiefs player? I’m starting to think any player that gets in trouble with the law is automatically assigned to the Chiefs by the NFL? 🤔

• Options

Pasted from Wiki:

Kansas City Chiefs
    On January 4, 2024, Buggs was signed to the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad.[16] Buggs won his first Super Bowl when the Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers 25–22 in Super Bowl LVIII.[17] On February 14, Buggs signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs.[18]

It appears that Buggs has not yet played in a game for the Chiefs. Not sure if
    Wiki has this correct or not that Buggs "won his first Super Bowl". Wiki is known to be prone to errors.

I didn't know that practice squad players got credit for winning a Super Bowl or shared in the revenue? Perhaps I'm wrong about that?

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭

Practice squad player. Takes about 90 seconds to replace those, maybe a couple minutes if you need to get someones cell phone number

They get rings since they helped prepare the team, and some do end up seeing some playing time, but they get cut and moved around a lot. Theres a bunch of college guys every year that can replace them and some even just live in their cars they get moved around so much.

Its a tough gig for the guys that never started in the league even though it is decent money

• Options

"Kansas City Chiefs Cancel Team Activities After BJ Thompson Suffers Seizure and Cardiac Arrest"

"The team’s medical staff worked quickly, an ambulance was called and the player is currently in stable condition."

• Options
    MistlinMistlin Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

The idea that any employee, of any company, should not be held accountable for what they do/say in public is laughably naive.

Is it his right to spout off hateful, bigoted, and homophobic comments? Of course. It is also the right of his employer (the team and the league) to hold him accountable and yes, fire him, should they so choose. Neither of those things happening would infringe on his first amendment rights - he is not being arrested for his speech - but every company has the RIGHT to disassociate with any person they feel paints them in a negative light.

ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭