Home Sports Talk

The Kansas City Chiefs are setting themselves up for a major collapse this upcoming season.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

😨

I'm sure Patrick was kidding, but then again, maybe not 100% sure. 🤣

Brady had Rita, Manning had Omaha and Mahomes now has Taylor. 😎

I'm forgetting this exact story, it was a long time ago. But if I'm remembering right, when Richard Nixon was president, he was a huge football fan. Nixon somehow contacted an NFL coach, I forget the team, and gave the coach a play to use.

i think the coach actually used the play in a regular season game.

So that's where all of the original planning behind Spygate started.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

@Mistlin said:
    Typical Philly and Boston 'classiness' body-shaming people. I guess when your teams have been reduced to mere afterthoughts and are looking up at KC winning super bowl after super bowl, you get ridiculously petty and vinidictive.

Why you bad mouthing Bahhston. Lots of good people in Bahhston.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:
    I'm seeing cracks in the Chiefs armor.

But then again if they go 20-0 for the season, I will apologize. 😉

What were you saying about Xavier Worthy again? Do you have the stats for the second preseason game? How about an update?

Worthy did have a pretty good game.

Will he turn out to be an elite receiver, or just another prima-donna rich jerk who doesn't really care if he performs at a high level on a consistent basis? I'm leaning towards the latter.

You will have to excuse me if I lack confidence in your ability to evaluate NFL players. I remember a few short years ago you were urging us to stock up on Carson Wentz rookie cards. Now he’s a backup to Mahomes. 😂

That's what I like...happy, content, and over-confident Chiefs fans.

Then when the Chiefs flounder this season, i'll have a lot more fun in this thread. 😆

BTW - I stated that with a caution about Wentz, as he had injury problems in college. It was sort of a risky high first round draft pick. He went second in that draft. But the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl without him. Wentz was having an MVP season that season the Eagles won the Super Bowl, but then he got injured late in that season. However by then Wentz had set the table, and fortunately Nick Foles closed the deal. So I have no complaints about Carson Wentz. 😊

Although i wouldn't have liked having a big investment in his rookie cards.

you did like wentz though which is going to be held against you forever.

rare footage of carson from high school daze

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ffQ8NT7bnMc

but they do say being an NFL QB is a hard knock life

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:
    I'm seeing cracks in the Chiefs armor.

But then again if they go 20-0 for the season, I will apologize. 😉

What were you saying about Xavier Worthy again? Do you have the stats for the second preseason game? How about an update?

Worthy did have a pretty good game.

Will he turn out to be an elite receiver, or just another prima-donna rich jerk who doesn't really care if he performs at a high level on a consistent basis? I'm leaning towards the latter.

You will have to excuse me if I lack confidence in your ability to evaluate NFL players. I remember a few short years ago you were urging us to stock up on Carson Wentz rookie cards. Now he’s a backup to Mahomes. 😂

That's what I like...happy, content, and over-confident Chiefs fans.

Then when the Chiefs flounder this season, i'll have a lot more fun in this thread. 😆

BTW - I stated that with a caution about Wentz, as he had injury problems in college. It was sort of a risky high first round draft pick. He went second in that draft. But the Eagles don't win the Super Bowl without him. Wentz was having an MVP season that season the Eagles won the Super Bowl, but then he got injured late in that season. However by then Wentz had set the table, and fortunately Nick Foles closed the deal. So I have no complaints about Carson Wentz. 😊

Although i wouldn't have liked having a big investment in his rookie cards.

you did like wentz though which is going to be held against you forever.

rare footage of carson from high school daze

>

I'll admit, I bit on clicking the video. Ya got me. 😆

As far as Carson Wentz. He was likely the MVP in just his second NFL season before he got injured. What was there not to like before the injury? I've already stated, and I stated it back then, because it was clear at the time, the risk of injury was always there based on his college history.

Investing heavily in his rookie cards was simply a high risk-reward gamble, which in this case didn't pay off.

investing in a QB with red hair ? pass

there is literally no precedent

if you do a search for qb's with red hair the 4th guy that pops up is troy polomalu

Finally made it - opening of the NFL.

I want to say don't believe the rumors that Taylor Swift will be replacing Patrick Mahomes at QB for the Chiefs. Although it's been reported that Andy Reid did give her a tryout recently. Taylor learned the playbook just fine and made all the correct reads on the practice field. However when dropping back to pass, she couldn't throw the football past the line of scrimmage.

Well the Kansas City Chiefs players and their coach have had an off season of basically partying and bragging. Not too much in regards to football preparation.

Perhaps the Chiefs figure they are so far superior to the rest of the league, that they will win another Super Bowl this season anyway. Then 4-peat, 5-peat, maybe even 10-peat. The rest of the teams will just lay down for them.

We shall see.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

last year Mahomes had ramen noodles in the cupboard and won the Super Bowl

they replaced guys who couldn't catch a football with speedsters to stretch the field

i think KC is gonna go nuclear this season and it all starts tonight

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Well the Kansas City Chiefs players and their coach have had an off season of basically partying and bragging. Not too much in regards to football preparation.

Perhaps the Chiefs figure they are so far superior to the rest of the league, that they will win another Super Bowl this season anyway. Then 4-peat, 5-peat, maybe even 10-peat. The rest of the teams will just lay down for them.

We shall see.

The jealousy is strong with this one.

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

@galaxy27 said:
    last year Mahomes had ramen noodles in the cupboard and won the Super Bowl

they replaced guys who couldn't catch a football with speedsters to stretch the field

i think KC is gonna go nuclear this season and it all starts tonight

Yes, nuclear as in blowing up on the launching pad.

Frankly, i think there is a chance that the Chiefs may get off to a half-decent start this season. However as the season progresses, the wear and tear of playing more games than the rest of the teams for the past two seasons is going to begin to take a negative effect on their bodies.

The Chiefs had better be in contention around mid-season, or they could take a very precipitous fall from grace. So bad that Taylor will get rid of Travis like worn out panty hose. LOL

Good, Mistlin likes the Chiefs, now I know I'm right. 😉

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC 23
    Baltimore 17

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin

🏈📺🥤👍😀

Oh Yeah... This Red 🟥 Team...

🏈🏈🏈 👍👍👍
    @perkdog
    hey ya Perkdog...
    those are Miggle; can't use Red-Peg Bases...🔌🏈

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:
    @Darin

🏈📺🥤👍😀

I’m glad we have Steve to provide the humor, he thinks KC spent the entire offseason partying and bragging.😂
    He doesn’t know Andy Reid or this dude very well if that’s what he thinks.
    Enjoy the game GRP!

@Darin said:

@GroceryRackPack said:
    @Darin

🏈📺🥤👍😀

I’m glad we have Steve to provide the humor, he thinks KC spent the entire offseason partying and bragging.😂
    He doesn’t know Andy Reid or this dude very well if that’s what he thinks.
    Enjoy the game GRP!

Mahomes is scary, I will admit that. He's a killer as in the Brady or Montana mode, no question about it.

The "old" Andy Reid I know very well from his many years with the Eagles. This "new" Andy Reid acting in this off season like a giddy young boy who caught his first fish, that Andy I don't know. Perhaps it will work out for him. We shall see.

I'd wish ya good luck on the Chiefs upcoming season, but you'd know I didn't mean it. 😉

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Oh Yeah... This Red 🟥 Team...

🏈🏈🏈 👍👍👍
    @perkdog
    hey ya Perkdog...
    those are Miggle; can't use Red-Peg Bases...🔌🏈

Don’t forget the team captain. 😎

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone is a Chiefs fan. This Bronco fan is hoping (again) that Denver can once again get back to playing in the post season and compete for a title (Denver is 3-5 in the Superbowl; and after starting 0-4 has racked up a 3-1 record in the Superbowl since beating the Packers in the 1998).

Anyway, since KC is in the AFC West (aka AFC Best), I hope the Chiefs prevail over the Ravens tonight.

NFL kickoff 2024: Thunderstorm delays Chiefs-Ravens kickoff, forces fans from stands

Now there's a bad sign for the Chiefs if there ever was one.

The football Gods don't like braggadocio. I read that in the ancient football scriptures.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:
    Nice to see Andy Reid trim and fit, raring to go.

Andy must frighten Chinese buffet owners when he walks thru the door. 😂

The Walrus

John Lennon said in "Glass Onion" "The Walrus Was Paul"😀

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

😨

I'm sure Patrick was kidding, but then again, maybe not 100% sure. 🤣

Brady had Rita, Manning had Omaha and Mahomes now has Taylor. 😎

I'm forgetting this exact story, it was a long time ago. But if I'm remembering right, when Richard Nixon was president, he was a huge football fan. Nixon somehow contacted an NFL coach, I forget the team, and gave the coach a play to use.

i think the coach actually used the play in a regular season game.

Washington Redskins coach George Allen.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@stevek said:
    Xavier Worthy had 0 receptions.

Maybe Andy Reid can make something useful out of him, perhaps as a cheerleader?

This didn’t age well, although technically he still has 0 receptions. 😜

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

He sure fixed that doughnut. :p

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Nice opening game win for the Chiefs. 👍

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

👍🏈

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game, Rice has developed into a solid target and now with Worthy they should be pretty solid this Season

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chiefs looked pretty good tonight!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@stevek said:
    NFL kickoff 2024: Thunderstorm delays Chiefs-Ravens kickoff, forces fans from stands

The football Gods don't like braggadocio. I read that in the ancient football scriptures.

30 years go by without me reading or hearing the word "braggadocio" and here we are.

steveK are you 107 years old?

can someone explain the motivation behind putting the most exciting team in the league on the one night no one wants to watch football?

mr faceless beancounter the chiefs will not save thursday football
    in fact the only result was to make me miss a chiefs game because of my hatred of your garbage idea

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    can someone explain the motivation behind putting the most exciting team in the league on the one night no one wants to watch football?

mr faceless beancounter the chiefs will not save thursday football
    in fact the only result was to make me miss a chiefs game because of my hatred of your garbage idea

Theres a little bit of logic to it. Have a first game with a big match up as a stand alone game on a major network. It gives two of the leagues premier teams an advantage going into week 2 as well with the extra rest. The Brazil game on a + network the next day doesnt make sense to me. Do that in the middle of the season

Missouri 14 OSU 3

i'm not paying to see football, and even i was amazon does a bad job , plus thursday night is a wretched time to air football , the players hate those games too.

peacock is also worthless. I'm not paying a monthly fee for 10 year old brooklyn 99 repeats

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

For sure, if there's one thing that came out of last night's game its Andy Reid definitely found a use for Xavier Worthy.

@stevek said:

Now they can get back to important stuff like bragging and partying until the next game.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Now they can get back to important stuff like bragging and partying until the next game.

Mahomes should have put that game out of reach. First they got exactly what they wanted when they got the ball with under 2 minutes left in the half. Go in and score and then get the ball first in the second half. But Mahomes throws a pick to ruin that scenario.
    Second half, up 20-10, they have a nice drive going. 3rd and short, Perine breaks out of the backfield to the left, wide open, Mahomes rushes the pass, throws it too soon and Perine barely looks around and the ball is on him. Incomplete. Mahomes fault.
    That being said, the Chiefs should never run the ball twice in a row unless they get at least 7 yards on the first run. The QB makes 50 mil a year, make him win or lose the game for you.
    Play calling on the Chiefs last drive was terrible. You weren’t going to run the clock out by running the ball so throw the damn thing every play. Be aggressive and stop playing to lose. The best thing they could do is pretend there are 10 minutes left and run the damn offense and quit handicapping your own team by taking the ball out of the super star quarterback’s hands.
    I swear the ghost of Marty Schottenheimer must have been calling the plays.

@Darin said:
    Mahomes should have put that game out of reach. First they got exactly what they wanted when they got the ball with under 2 minutes left in the half. Go in and score and then get the ball first in the second half. But Mahomes throws a pick to ruin that scenario.
    Second half, up 20-10, they have a nice drive going. 3rd and short, Perine breaks out of the backfield to the left, wide open, Mahomes rushes the pass, throws it too soon and Perine barely looks around and the ball is on him. Incomplete. Mahomes fault.
    That being said, the Chiefs should never run the ball twice in a row unless they get at least 7 yards on the first run. The QB makes 50 mil a year, make him win or lose the game for you.
    Play calling on the Chiefs last drive was terrible. You weren’t going to run the clock out by running the ball so throw the damn thing every play. Be aggressive and stop playing to lose. The best thing they could do is pretend there are 10 minutes left and run the damn offense and quit handicapping your own team by taking the ball out of the super star quarterback’s hands.
    I swear the ghost of Marty Schottenheimer must have been calling the plays.

hey D...
    Gotta give ya the Gold Star ⭐

Oh Yeah...🟥🏈👍

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

30 years go by without me reading or hearing the word "braggadocio" and here we are.

steveK are you 107 years old?

Next Tuesday.

Nice to see Chiefs fans all giddy after the win. And that's okay, a win is a win in the NFL.

But a Ravens reception missed by less than an inch near the end of the game, and it goes into overtime, and the result may have been different.

@Darin

hey D...
    🏈👍 🏈👍 🏈👍

@stevek said:
    Nice to see Chiefs fans all giddy after the win. And that's okay, a win is a win in the NFL.

But a Ravens reception missed by less than an inch near the end of the game, and it goes into overtime, and the result may have been different.

Steve this is what the Chiefs have to put up with……. this crap came from Bigfoot of the Ravens who KC beat in the AFC championship game last year and the first game of this season.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Steve this is what the Chiefs have to put up with……. this crap came from Bigfoot of the Ravens who KC beat in the AFC championship game last year and the first game of this season.

Yea, I saw that a few says ago. I was gonna post the story here, but didn't because I simply will not tolerate any smack in this thread. 😉

Seriously though, Harbaugh has stated that he was going to go for the two point conversion. Would have been a most interesting attempt. But alas, an attempt that will never be known. The replay camera saw to that.

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Yea, I saw that a few says ago. I was gonna post the story here, but didn't because I simply will not tolerate any smack in this thread. 😉

Seriously though, Harbaugh has stated that he was going to go for the two point conversion. Would have been a most interesting attempt. But alas, an attempt that will never be known. The replay camera saw to that.

Yes right after Bigfoot’s catch Harbaugh held up two fingers and to be honest that’s what I was dreading the whole game when Mahomes had chances to put the game away but didn’t. Why? Because they would have scored on a 2 point attempt. Lamar would take the snap, wait for a whole to open and waltz into the end zone.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Yes right after Bigfoot’s catch Harbaugh held up two fingers and to be honest that’s what I was dreading the whole game when Mahomes had chances to put the game away but didn’t. Why? Because they would have scored on a 2 point attempt. Lamar would take the snap, wait for a whole to open and waltz into the end zone.

I agree with ya. I think there's a good chance the 2 would have been successful.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MistlinMistlin Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I like the Chiefs? Since when?

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

edited September 10, 2024 7:01PM