Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 New England Patriots Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I like these small money hole fillers but soon we will need to really spend.

robert kraft saidd that in his yelp review of orchids of asia

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Cmon man, look at this roster right now, the offense is going to fail regardless on whether its Brissett,Flacco,Mayfield or Minshew behind center. You're assuming that its going to be Brissett's failure as to why NE ends up going to their rookie QB sooner than expected and I'm telling you that there's been ZERO info coming from the team that they plan on sitting the rookie QB for the season. Its a real possibility that whichever QB that they draft could start week one.

If Maye or Daniels actually takes over for Brissett its not going to be because Brissett wasn't any good,it will because the rookie QB is so far better of a player than JB is and sitting him would make zero sense if NE adds enough pieces around him this offseason.

Brissett was a fit because of his familiarity with the Pats OC (from Cleveland) & HC (from his rookie year in NE.) If the team wanted a different backup QB they could spent the money on someone who put up better stats on bad teams. Instead they signed the guy that they know.

There seems to be some miscommunication going on here. Exactly the reasons youre stating are why I dont like the Brissett deal. I know the offense is going to fail no matter what and have said that it will take 2 drafts to fix the offense barring some QB have a preposterously good year or something like the Chargers just dumping Williams and Allen to save money.

I also know that whether it be Daniels, Maye, Williams they will likely beat out Brissett in camp as they are all significantly better and it will be up to the discipline of the staff to keep them on the bench which probably wont happen. I am hoping which ever one they take doesnt play this year until they get more help for them so its just not a Mac Jones or a Baker situation in Cleveland all over again like we see year in and year out.

What I was hoping to see was some Veteran QB on a 1 or 2 year deal where the value was enough that they wouldnt get benched and keep the rookie on the bench. If someone has to be thrown to the wolfs it might as well be someone making a lot of money where you can reasonably say they are the best option. No one is going to believe Brissett is the best option over any of those three QBs

I get what you're saying but the team obviously didn't want to put to much money into the QB position knowing that they're building the offense from scratch. Signing Brissett on a 1yr deal says that they'd like to see what other options are out ther at QB next offseason. I'm assuming the plan is to start Brissett and sprinkle in as much play from the rookie as possible, if he doesn't just win the job outright.

Their options in free agency were always going to be limited where outside of the top 2 FA QBs,everyone else was really just a Jag. I liked this particular jag because he performed well in the little playing time he got his first time around. Supposedly Zappe maybe released soon.

I get that and it does makes sense for a team not wanting to spend like that. I just dont like guys getting set up to fail and I think that is what is likely to happen here again. Fans have a tendency to turn on players quickly and QBs generally have 2 to 3 years before a team moves on. If that first year is wasted in a bad spot and fans already start disliking them it becomes harder in the next year or two with all the criticism and people calling for their job

If theyre going to take Daniels, Maye, or Williams at 3 theyre going to out play Brissett in camp and its going to be hard for them not to start them right away. It will get even harder after losing the first few games if they dont. Titans might be their only should win game and thats a road game

I don't think that they're setting anyone up to fail when whichever free agent QB that could have signed here would have all been dealing with the same issues: lack of passing targets and very little Oline depth. There was never going to be a quick fix regardless on whether the Qb's name was Brissett, Flacco, Cousins or Mayfield.

I liked Brissett the most because he
    1) learned under Brady
    2) he was professional during his first stint in NE
    3) he'd be cheap
    4) probably most important, he wanted to play in NE knowing full well what their offensive situation looks like.

That last part doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is setting him up to fail. their offense is flawed right now but they're slowly putting pieces in place to get better, Obviously a better QB,WR & LT need to be added but they still have plenty of resources to get that done. Will they? We won't know that answer until the draft has ended.

We've pretty much exhausted the Jacoby Brissett topic at this point so i'll end that discussion here. There's going to be plenty of other signings/draft picks to go on about soon enough.

Not an intentional setup, but putting people in positions to fail which we see all the time for QBs is where the saying mostly comes from. Brissett isnt the guy and good for him for making a career out of it. Jameis took less to go be a back up in Cleveland and sure some of it is where people want to go.

I'm fine with it as long as the QB they take at 3 isnt thrown into the fire. They wont be able to get a top QB, tackle, and WR all in this draft, they dont have enough picks. A decisions going to have to be made with tackle or WR in the second assuming they take a QB at 3 and those tackles left will be right tackles

Regardless of the team Im more interested in not seeing QBs and top picks ruined going to bad situations where they are made to play right away like with Young and numerous Jets and Browns QBs. The Bears have a unique position where they have some guys and 2 top 10 picks, Washington is pretty eh and realistically what 5 to 6 wins again for the Pats probably at best?

You keep going on about the Pats setting someone up to fail but keep neglecting the fact that that was just one guy responsible for that happening and he has already been fired. There's a new regime in place now and if you need something to prove that things have changed in NE look no further than the amount of their own free agents who have re-signed in the past week. Belichick very rarely re-signed his own players and under Wolf they've made it a priority. Its called a change of culture.

Also we all know that all of this fail talk that you keep going on about has to do with Mac, can we give it a rest already? You keep acting like this guy was some precious flower that they forgot to water. I fully admit that BB did him wrong but Mac did nothing to win endear himself to the players or fans while here.
    He's the one that threw tantrums on the sidelines. He's the one that went outside of the organization for coaching tips and made snide remarks to the media about the offense/coaching, he's the one that made bad play after bad play. Maybe had Mac been better equipped to handle adversity then he might have still been in NE.

As one of my fellow Pats fan has stated to you numerous times, Back Foot Jones was an absolute horrible QB by the end. Now they're both gone and Good Riddance. if you're going to keep droning on about setting up a player to fail then go take it up with someone else.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:
    Raiders TE Austin Hooper is coming to NE on a 1yr deal worth up to 4M while Pats TE Pharaoh Brown signed with Seattle.

Also Josh Uche turned down a 2yr/15M/11G deal to re-sign with NE for 1yr/3M. Sounds like he really believes Mayo can help raise his value for next offseason.

Hooper is to.fill.a hole for short money

Surprised Uche agreed to only 3 million

I like these small money hole fillers but soon we will need to really spend.

OL, WR and DB should be focal points after we draft a QB

It sounds like they're not willing to just overspend right now and not many players are probably willing to sign with NE at the moment, especially on offense. I wouldn't blame them either when there are so many questions regarding that side of the ball.
    Things could obviously change but its looking like Ridley and the Jags are just waiting it out until 4pm today so when he re-signs, Jacksonville only gives up a 3rd rounder to Atlanta instead of a 2nd. There's been hints that NE is offering more money but he wants even more to sign here.

I have no problem with them handing out a bunch of one year deals and kicking the can down the road a bit. Maybe by next offseason their roster will be more appealing to free agents and they're able to sign some of the top tier players that they've missed out on in recent days.

• Options

Another defensive starter re-signed, LB Anfernee Jennings got a 3/12M deal.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

watching Mac Jones play quarterback was like staring at Medusa............do it long enough and you run the risk of turning to stone. i lost track of how many times my jaw hit the ground and shattered from watching his ineptitude. against the Colts dude threw the worst pass i've ever seen in my 45ish years of watching football. i'm surprised England still allows us to play football games there after that spectacle. wtf was that, never come over here again.

yet incredibly, amazingly, inconceivably there is actually someone with a pulse in the Milky Way who thinks that the real problem was the organization he was with -- the same one that churned out the greatest signal caller of all time, mind you -- and that once Mac distanced himself from said QB-toxic org he would go from chucking pee wee league passes off his back foot to spinning it like no other

• Options

Where they're currently sitting at 59M in cap space, maybe its time to move on from Calvin Ridley's posturing and go sign a couple WRs from that 2nd level. The Raiders just cut Hunter Renfrow so there's one more name to add to the list.

With the talk of signing so many short term contracts I took a look at their cap space situation for next offseason and its currently over 200M available. They're obviously going to eat into that number before then but hopefully they have better luck convincing players to sign here next time around.

• Options

Ridley to the Titans on a 4yr/92M/50G contract. Here's comes half of NE calling out Kraft for being cheap lol.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad they didnt pay that much for Ridley.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:
    Cmon man, look at this roster right now, the offense is going to fail regardless on whether its Brissett,Flacco,Mayfield or Minshew behind center. You're assuming that its going to be Brissett's failure as to why NE ends up going to their rookie QB sooner than expected and I'm telling you that there's been ZERO info coming from the team that they plan on sitting the rookie QB for the season. Its a real possibility that whichever QB that they draft could start week one.

If Maye or Daniels actually takes over for Brissett its not going to be because Brissett wasn't any good,it will because the rookie QB is so far better of a player than JB is and sitting him would make zero sense if NE adds enough pieces around him this offseason.

Brissett was a fit because of his familiarity with the Pats OC (from Cleveland) & HC (from his rookie year in NE.) If the team wanted a different backup QB they could spent the money on someone who put up better stats on bad teams. Instead they signed the guy that they know.

There seems to be some miscommunication going on here. Exactly the reasons youre stating are why I dont like the Brissett deal. I know the offense is going to fail no matter what and have said that it will take 2 drafts to fix the offense barring some QB have a preposterously good year or something like the Chargers just dumping Williams and Allen to save money.

I also know that whether it be Daniels, Maye, Williams they will likely beat out Brissett in camp as they are all significantly better and it will be up to the discipline of the staff to keep them on the bench which probably wont happen. I am hoping which ever one they take doesnt play this year until they get more help for them so its just not a Mac Jones or a Baker situation in Cleveland all over again like we see year in and year out.

What I was hoping to see was some Veteran QB on a 1 or 2 year deal where the value was enough that they wouldnt get benched and keep the rookie on the bench. If someone has to be thrown to the wolfs it might as well be someone making a lot of money where you can reasonably say they are the best option. No one is going to believe Brissett is the best option over any of those three QBs

I get what you're saying but the team obviously didn't want to put to much money into the QB position knowing that they're building the offense from scratch. Signing Brissett on a 1yr deal says that they'd like to see what other options are out ther at QB next offseason. I'm assuming the plan is to start Brissett and sprinkle in as much play from the rookie as possible, if he doesn't just win the job outright.

Their options in free agency were always going to be limited where outside of the top 2 FA QBs,everyone else was really just a Jag. I liked this particular jag because he performed well in the little playing time he got his first time around. Supposedly Zappe maybe released soon.

I get that and it does makes sense for a team not wanting to spend like that. I just dont like guys getting set up to fail and I think that is what is likely to happen here again. Fans have a tendency to turn on players quickly and QBs generally have 2 to 3 years before a team moves on. If that first year is wasted in a bad spot and fans already start disliking them it becomes harder in the next year or two with all the criticism and people calling for their job

If theyre going to take Daniels, Maye, or Williams at 3 theyre going to out play Brissett in camp and its going to be hard for them not to start them right away. It will get even harder after losing the first few games if they dont. Titans might be their only should win game and thats a road game

I don't think that they're setting anyone up to fail when whichever free agent QB that could have signed here would have all been dealing with the same issues: lack of passing targets and very little Oline depth. There was never going to be a quick fix regardless on whether the Qb's name was Brissett, Flacco, Cousins or Mayfield.

I liked Brissett the most because he
    1) learned under Brady
    2) he was professional during his first stint in NE
    3) he'd be cheap
    4) probably most important, he wanted to play in NE knowing full well what their offensive situation looks like.

That last part doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is setting him up to fail. their offense is flawed right now but they're slowly putting pieces in place to get better, Obviously a better QB,WR & LT need to be added but they still have plenty of resources to get that done. Will they? We won't know that answer until the draft has ended.

We've pretty much exhausted the Jacoby Brissett topic at this point so i'll end that discussion here. There's going to be plenty of other signings/draft picks to go on about soon enough.

Not an intentional setup, but putting people in positions to fail which we see all the time for QBs is where the saying mostly comes from. Brissett isnt the guy and good for him for making a career out of it. Jameis took less to go be a back up in Cleveland and sure some of it is where people want to go.

I'm fine with it as long as the QB they take at 3 isnt thrown into the fire. They wont be able to get a top QB, tackle, and WR all in this draft, they dont have enough picks. A decisions going to have to be made with tackle or WR in the second assuming they take a QB at 3 and those tackles left will be right tackles

Regardless of the team Im more interested in not seeing QBs and top picks ruined going to bad situations where they are made to play right away like with Young and numerous Jets and Browns QBs. The Bears have a unique position where they have some guys and 2 top 10 picks, Washington is pretty eh and realistically what 5 to 6 wins again for the Pats probably at best?

You keep going on about the Pats setting someone up to fail but keep neglecting the fact that that was just one guy responsible for that happening and he has already been fired. There's a new regime in place now and if you need something to prove that things have changed in NE look no further than the amount of their own free agents who have re-signed in the past week. Belichick very rarely re-signed his own players and under Wolf they've made it a priority. Its called a change of culture.

Also we all know that all of this fail talk that you keep going on about has to do with Mac, can we give it a rest already? You keep acting like this guy was some precious flower that they forgot to water. I fully admit that BB did him wrong but Mac did nothing to win endear himself to the players or fans while here.
    He's the one that threw tantrums on the sidelines. He's the one that went outside of the organization for coaching tips and made snide remarks to the media about the offense/coaching, he's the one that made bad play after bad play. Maybe had Mac been better equipped to handle adversity then he might have still been in NE.

As one of my fellow Pats fan has stated to you numerous times, Back Foot Jones was an absolute horrible QB by the end. Now they're both gone and Good Riddance. if you're going to keep droning on about setting up a player to fail then go take it up with someone else.

When a guy gets worse every year after his rookie year thats an organizational issue, Mentioning having personal coaches which every NFL QB has and Tom Brady had as well during his time in NE is just looking for a reason to dislike someone. I really dont like organizational situations always turning into about Jones, he sucked there Pats fans hate him but using him as an excuse for the issues of the team isnt going to change anything.

And no the set up to fail has nothing to do with Mac Jones, he just happens to be the guy who ended up in that spot. Ive said multiple times I would not have drafted Jones his offense at Bama was absolutely absurdly loaded but he proved enough as a rookie that he could be decent in the NFL yet got worse as they continued to ignore the offense and have mediocre WRs that cant create separation.

The talk of being put in a situation to fail if started right away as a QB is that theyre going to be getting a top 10 if not top 5 pick again next year. Simply resigning the same roster in free agency that just resulted in the #3 pick in the draft isnt addressing issues. Yes they have a new coach but its not some offensive genius, its a defensive orientated coach who wasnt even a coordinator in his first head coaching job

They still have the same bad WRs, a linebacker whose never been a coordinator much less a head coach as the head coach, and if thats not bad enough they also lost Bouttee who could have actually been their best WR at the moment with a new head coach, but he was arrested for betting on LSU games while he was playing for LSU which is probably why they told him to not come back.

I know whats in this draft and I know you dont fix years of offensive neglect in one draft as well. If Pats fans are hoping Daniels just comes in and runs around a ton as a savior, its more likely than not Daniels wont be on the board at that point. Hes more likely than not going in the top 2 if not 1 and Maye is likely who it will be at three. While Maye can move hes not the fastest and a lot of his running is more of a harder Cam Newton style and finding gaps which is a lot harder to do in the NFL

Roster fits are certainly relevant in draft and free agency talk which is all we have right now

• Options
    edited March 13, 2024 4:13PM

@craig44 Me too. Use their money on the Oline then you could draft a two Wrs & a TE after taking your QB at 3.

• Options

Here's their overall signings list so far:
    QB Jacoby Brissett: Agreed to terms on a one-year, $8 million deal
    QB Nathan Rourke: Re-signed with the Patriots.
    RB Antonio Gibson: Signing a three-year, $11.25 million deal that includes $5.3 million fully guaranteed.
    WR Kendrick Bourne: Re-signed to a three-year, $19.5 million deal that has a max value of $33 million. Bourne's contract includes $5.5 million in receptions and receiving yard incentives in 2024 and up to $4 million in similar incentives in each of the following two seasons. He is also able to earn $850,000 in per-game roster bonuses each year.
    WR Jalen Reagor: Re-signed to a one-year deal worth nearly $1.3 million with $442,500 guaranteed.
    TE Hunter Henry: Re-signed to a three-year, $27 million deal that has a max value of $30 million.
    TE Austin Hooper: Expected to sign a one-year deal worth up to $4.25 million.
    OL Tyrone Wheatley Jr.: Re-signed with the Patriots.
    OT Chukwuma Okorafor: Signed a free-agent deal.
    OT Mike Onwenu: Re-signing on a three-year, $57 million deal that includes $38 million guaranteed and a $22.5 million signing bonus.
    Edge Anfernee Jennings: Re-signing on a three-year, $12 million deal with a max value of $24 million.
    Edge Josh Uche: Re-signed to a one-year, $3 million deal that has a max value of $8 million.
    LB Christian Elliss: Re-signed with the Patriots.
    LB Sione Takitaki: Signing a two-year, $6.5 million deal that can be worth up to $10 million with some likely-to-be-earned incentives.
    S Kyle Dugger: Received the transition tag, which will pay him $13.8 million for the 2024 season.

Plus two recent signings in the past hour or two...
    DT Armon Watts: signed a 1yr/3M deal.
    G Nick Leverett: No terms yet but said to be similar to Watts signing.

That's 17 players signed/re-signed and the team still has over 55M in cap space, they're far from being done in free agency.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    @craig44 Me too. Use their money on the Oline then you could draft a two Wrs & a TE after taking your QB at 3.

I'm with you guys

I wouldn't have wanted them to spend that much on him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm with you guys

I wouldn't have wanted them to spend that much on him

Its funny, I read a couple Bleacher Report tweets earlier saying that Ridley was likely looking at 13-15M/yr. Not many people were expecting him to get offered 23M/yr and having that offer come from a team in a state with no income tax was probably an easy decision for Ridley.

One of the tackles on my wishlist, former Bengal Jonah Williams, just signed with the Cardinals.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2024 12:20PM

Seems like the free agent signings have slowed down quite a bit around the league even though there are still a ton of good players out there.

RB: Zeke Elliott, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, Damien Harris, D'Onta Foreman, A.J. Dillon, J.K. Dobbins
    WR: Mike Williams, Michael Thomas, Hollywood Brown, Tyler Bord, Odell Beckham Jr, Hunter Renfrow, Curtis Samuel, Josh Reynolds (Tee Higgins & Deebo Samuel are supposedly tradable)
    TE: Hayden Hurst, Logan Thomas, Adam Trautman
    O-line: Tyron Smith, Mehki Becton, DJ Humphries, Ja'Waun James, Marcus Cannon, David Baktiari, Donovan Smith, Josh Jones, Andrus Peat, Kevin Zeitler, Phil Haynes, Connor Williams

D-line: Arik Armstead, Carl Lawson, Jadeveon Clowney, DJ Reader, FLetcher Cox, Chase Young,
    LB: Devin White,
    CB: Xavien Howard, Adoree Jackson, Stephon Gilmore, Steven Nelson
    Safety: Justin Simmons, Jamal Adams, Justin Blackmon, Kamren Curl, Jordan Fuller

Haven't seen the list of available kickers but I'd put that position as a need too even though BB just drafted one in the 4th a year ago.

• Options

The top Tackle is off the board with Tyron Smith heading to the Jets on a 1yr deal worth up to 20M with incentives. We'll see if this signing gets the tackle market going now.
    If NE could get one of Donovan Smith, Mehki Becton, David Bakhtiari or DJ Humphries then that would be a great addition at tackle, even former Patriot Marcus Cannon could help. Andrus Peat or Kevin Zeitler would both be great at guard.
    The more OL depth that they can add now are less needs with limited draft picks come draft day.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The top Tackle is off the board with Tyron Smith heading to the Jets on a 1yr deal worth up to 20M with incentives. We'll see if this signing gets the tackle market going now.
    If NE could get one of Donovan Smith, Mehki Becton, David Bakhtiari or DJ Humphries then that would be a great addition at tackle, even former Patriot Marcus Cannon could help. Andrus Peat or Kevin Zeitler would both be great at guard.
    The more OL depth that they can add now are less needs with limited draft picks come draft day.

David Bakhtiati sounds good but he just doesn't play that much since he is always hurt

Tyrone Smith was the guy I wanted,but any of those other guys would be helpful

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

David Bakhtiati sounds good but he just doesn't play that much since he is always hurt

Tyrone Smith was the guy I wanted,but any of those other guys would be helpful

Bakhtiari & Smith's last 4 seasons are very similar in games played.
    DB: 12/1/11/1
    TS: 2/11/4/13
    I'm ok with signing him to a 1yr deal similar to Smtih's.

Their plan is to build through the draft but they only have so many picks and if all goes as expected there's going to be a QB & WR taken at some point which means less overall picks.

• Options

Vikings WR KJ Osborn to the Pats on a 1yr deal, no mention of what his salary will be.
    Here are his stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OsboKJ00.htm

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Vikings WR KJ Osborn to the Pats on a 1yr deal, no mention of what his salary will be.
    Here are his stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OsboKJ00.htm

4 million with the ability to earn and extra 2 million in incentives

• Options
    edited March 18, 2024 8:48AM

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

4 million with the ability to earn and extra 2 million in incentives

His 48/540 stats would have put him just behind the 49/561 Pop Douglass put up for the team lead in both categories. He's not a #1 or even a #2 but he replaced DeVante Parker so that is a plus.

i like all of these one year deals that NE has been giving out, it means they'll have a huge amount of cap space next offseason and, who knows, maybe by then this team will look like a much better destination for free agents.
    No QB, No high end WRs, no starting tackles, new head coach and a new OC w/all new offensive system just doesn't look enticing at all and that's before you factor in the weather and tax situation. Hopefully Pats fans get to see this change soon.

• Options

Free agency has slowed down to a crawl but hopefully that changes when league meets next week. The Pats did sign former Falcons/Chargers safety Jaylinn Hawkins, no idea who he is.

FA Stephon Gilmore did say publicly that he'd be ok returning to the Pats if itcame to it.Sign me up if its on a 1-2yr deal.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 12:04PM

@erikthredd said:
    Free agency has slowed down to a crawl but hopefully that changes when league meets next week. The Pats did sign former Falcons/Chargers safety Jaylinn Hawkins, no idea who he is.

FA Stephon Gilmore did say publicly that he'd be ok returning to the Pats if itcame to it.Sign me up if its on a 1-2yr deal.

Sure I'd be ok with that kind of Gilmore deal

After the flashpoint of FA goes away it's a long march to the draft

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Sure I'd be ok with that kind of Gilmore deal

After the flashpoint of FA goes away it's a long march to the draft

yes, we have a month to go. I am just ready to see the roster...

• Options

Reports are Wolf has been trying to find a #1 wideout on the trade market before the draft and Tee Higgins, Brandon Ayiuk, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf & Courtland Sutton are the names getting thrown around.

If that doesn't happen then i'd like to see him try using some of that huge cap total that they're hoarding and see if you can convince one/some of the better FA defenders to sign a 1yr deal at a slight overpay. Improve the defense and you'd free up that salary next offseason with the option to re-sign.

Adding a Pass Rusher like Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue or Emmanuel Ogbah would make a Judon/Uche/Barmore/Keion White pass rush even better.
    CBs Stephon Gilmore, Xavien Howard or Adoree Jackson would all fit great opposite Gonzalez.
    Free safeties justin Simmons,Eddie Jackson or Quandre Diggs could all be solid replacements for Devin McCourty. This might be their only real hole on defense.

I'd also like to see them bring back Zeke on a 1yr deal. Having Stevenson,Zeke & Gibson this time around is better than just Stevenson & Elliott last season. When Rhamondre got hurt it was just Zeke and a bunch of dudes Bill found on the scrap heap.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 12:42PM

@erikthredd said:
    Reports are Wolf has been trying to find a #1 wideout on the trade market before the draft and Tee Higgins, Brandon Ayiuk, Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf & Courtland Sutton are the names getting thrown around.

If that doesn't happen then i'd like to see him try using some of that huge cap total that they're hoarding and see if you can convince one/some of the better FA defenders to sign a 1yr deal at a slight overpay. Improve the defense and you'd free up that salary next offseason with the option to re-sign.

Adding a Pass Rusher like Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue or Emmanuel Ogbah would make a Judon/Uche/Barmore/Keion White pass rush even better.
    CBs Stephon Gilmore, Xavien Howard or Adoree Jackson would all fit great opposite Gonzalez.
    Free safeties justin Simmons,Eddie Jackson or Quandre Diggs could all be solid replacements for Devin McCourty. This might be their only real hole on defense.

I'd also like to see them bring back Zeke on a 1yr deal. Having Stevenson,Zeke & Gibson this time around is better than just Stevenson & Elliott last season. When Rhamondre got hurt it was just Zeke and a bunch of dudes Bill found on the scrap heap.

Wouldn't it have been nice if we drafted DK Metcalf instead of K'neal Harry 🤬

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Wouldn't it have been nice if we drafted DK Metcalf instead of K'neal Harry 🤬

We could play that game with most of BB's draft picks lol but its easy to look back in hindsight and ask what if?

The Celtics passed up on Giannis for Kelly Olynyk,whose been a very good NBA player just not Giannis. Boston could have had a big three of Tatum,Brown & Giannis right now lol.

• Options

Bob Kraft is disappointed with The Dynsaty documentary😂 https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39813775/let-patriots-doc-vows-survey-fixes

After the first two episodes aired all of the talking heads were saying this was Kraft's (Kraft media produced it) attempt at getting his name into the HOF but by episodes 9-10 you could really see it was nothing more than a Bill Belichick hit job.

Close to the entire series was focused just on the drama alone and they ramped it up even more on the Brady/BB separation at the end. They made it seem like Brady & BB won the 2019 SB and then split, completely leaving out that he played one more entire season before leaving for Tampa Bay.

Overall it was worth the watch but it definitely didn't help Bill's image.

• Options

After getting absolutely roasted during The Dynasty series, there are reports today that Bill Belichick will be writing a book.
    https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-bill-belichick-is-writing-a-book

Everyone is assuming its going to be about his run in NE but watch it be some random Civil War love novel. 🤣
    Hopefully he actually digs into details and we hear what went wrong with Malcolm Butler and he has more to say on Spygate/Deflategate.

• Options

I want to hear some juicy stuff...

• Options

As long as it doesn't have all.mumble words lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

No throat clearing until at least after he gets past the Tom Brady/Alex Gonzalez gossip from 2018-19. 😎

Seriously though, what's the point of this book if its not going to at least give us a look behind some of the bigger issues he dealt with while in NE? It could just be a money grab where he opens up more about the 6 SB wins but what fun would that be? Many Pats would eat that right up either way,myself included lol.

• Options

I bet it will be an in-depth exposition on Rutgers special teams players and their true value to a pro squad.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2024 9:10AM

Whose the worst pats WR bust of all time? My top three choices would be:
    1.Hart Lee Dykes 1989 16th pick. played in 26 games for Pats then was out of the league due to a knee injury in a game and an eye injury suffered during a bar room fight that also involved teammate irving Fryar.
    2. Chad jackson 2006 36th pick. played in just 14 games in NE then 4 in Denver before retiring.
    3. N'Keal Harry 2019 32nd pick. played in 34 games in NE before getting traded to Chicago just before year 4.

(Dis)Honorable mention:
    Malcolm Mitchell 2017 4th rounder, played in just 14 games (did catch 6/70 in Falcons SB though)
    Aaron Dobson 2013 2nd rounder, played just 24 games.
    Josh Boyce 2013 4th rounder, played in just 10 games.
    Taylor Price 2010 3rd rounder, played in just 6 games.

6 of the 7 names above were drafted during the BB/Brady era and we all know that Belichick's ability to draft a capable WR let alone a starting caliber one was very very low,who else thinks that it falls on Brady too?

How many times Bill scream at Tom during practice then Brady just turned around and took it out on some rookie?
    Bill eventually found plenty of vet wideouts like Welker,Amendola,Lafell,Hogan,Cook & Dorsett that all turned into solid contributors but man did he really miss on all of those WR picks.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2024 9:40AM

@erikthredd said:
    Whose the worst pats WR bust of all time? My top three choices would be:
    1.Hart Lee Dykes 1989 16th pick. played in 26 games for Pats then was out of the league due to a knee injury in a game and an eye injury suffered during a bar room fight that also involved teammate irving Fryar.
    2. Chad jackson 2006 36th pick. played in just 14 games in NE then 4 in Denver before retiring.
    3. N'Keal Harry 2019 32nd pick. played in 34 games in NE before getting traded to Chicago just before year 4.

(Dis)Honorable mention:
    Malcolm Mitchell 2017 4th rounder, played in just 14 games (did catch 6/70 in Falcons SB though)
    Aaron Dobson 2013 2nd rounder, played just 24 games.
    Josh Boyce 2013 4th rounder, played in just 10 games.
    Taylor Price 2010 3rd rounder, played in just 6 games.

6 of the 7 names above were drafted during the BB/Brady era and we all know that Belichick's ability to draft a capable WR let alone a starting caliber one was very very low,who else thinks that it falls on Brady too?

How many times Bill scream at Tom during practice then Brady just turned around and took it out on some rookie?
    Bill eventually found plenty of vet wideouts like Welker,Amendola,Lafell,Hogan,Cook & Dorsett that all turned into solid contributors but man did he really miss on all of those WR picks.

I say Harry was the worst since several WR's drafted after him are top shelf players and he was just horrendous

Dykes was a phenomenal player, he just couldn't play without tearing up a knee

Mitchell helped us win a Super Bowl at least but got hurt and didn't feel like playing football anymore

WR is one of the toughest position to adapt to in the NFL after QB

• Options
    edited April 4, 2024 9:48AM

I remember scooping up all of the Hart Lee Dykes '89 Score & Pro Set rookies that I came across at the time thinking he'd be a star. 🤣😂

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2024 12:31PM

for the sake of all Pats fans who participate in this forum, i really hope this doesn't happen

this guy has Zach Wilson written all over him

even freaking looks like him a little

every time I watched this kid at Michigan I thought to myself, 4th rounder at best

DON'T DO IT. HE IS NOT THE SECOND COMING OF BRADY.

• Options

I honestly think all of the Eliot Wolf is "pushing hard" for JJ MCarthy talk is nothing more than subterfuge. What could there possibly be to gain by telling the public that Jj is their guy when there's 3 weeks still to go? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    for the sake of all Pats fans who participate in this forum, i really hope this doesn't happen

this guy has Zach Wilson written all over him

even freaking looks like him a little

every time I watched this kid at Michigan I thought to myself, 4th rounder at best

DON'T DO IT. HE IS NOT THE SECOND COMING OF BRADY.

They cant possibly be that bad at their jobs to do that. That seems like a lot of click bait, but if they did do that everyone involved should be fired and start betting the under on their win totals

• Options

@perkdog said:

Just wait until the audio book gets released. 😂
    I stole that from someone else.

• Options

NE signs Kyle Dugger to a new 4yr/58M/32G deal.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    NE signs Kyle Dugger to a new 4yr/58M/32G deal.

Glad they kept Duggar

• Options

While I've been hoping for a trade back with the Vikings or Giants as my first preference,I'm starting to come around a bit with taking a QB at that 3rd spot.

Of the two,I think that Daniels has a much higher upside but he's also got the greater chance to be a bust if he doesn't commit fully to playing at a higher weight, not alot but up in the 220-225 range. If he could prove that he could make that type of commitment to your organization then I would do the same for him by surrounding him with a ton of high end talent like he had at LSU.
    For NE that would mean drafting multiple playmakers in the top 3 rounds this year and next. Turn over almost all of your WR room outside of maybe Douglas & Bourne. We saw Daniels play at a high level when his supporting cast was stacked so go stack it but after picking him he's got basically a redshirt season in year 1 to learn what he can from Jacoby Brissett and the coaching staff. Run him as the 2nd or 3rd string QB in practices while trying to get his weight up. Absolutely have some coach teach him how to get down ASAP at the end of his long runs so he can protect his body more.
    He's 3 years older than Maye so you won't be able to be patient with him for too long but if they could (purposelly) endure another tank type season where their picks are high in each round like in 2024 (3/34/68/103,) they could then surround Daniels with a ton of high end talent on offense. Where he goes from there would be on him.

I'd like to see a similar plan if they went with Drake Maye but they could be a bit more patient if needed. He's still pretty young and while he might not have Daniels upside,he seems likes a kid willing to put in the work and wants to get better. He comes from great stock where his father and brothers have all excelled in different sports and he maybe the best of the bunch.
    Also do with Maye what Alex van Pelt & Eliot Wolf couldn't do in Cleveland with Baker Mayfield,do the best job possible developing the Qb after drafting him so high. If this means drafting a young QB at 3 and sitting him until he's not only ready from a mental AND physical standpoint then so be it. It also gives you time to rebuild the OL up too.
    For some reason Bill gave up on drafting that cornerstone Left Tackle in later years after watching Matt Light & Nate Solder hold down that position for 17-18years. He traded for Trent Brown who was phenomenal in a contract year where he made All-Pro while helping NE win the SB. He then got paid by the Raiders and was never the same again even when BB traded for him a second time.
    They really need to just find thei guy for that position and forget about him until its time to give him a new contract. The really good LT's will likely be gone by pick 34 but maybe you get your WR there then pick a tackle in round 3 who can fill in at LT for a season until you could use your 2025 1st on that position. they'll likely be drafting top 10 next year so finding an elite LT then should be much easier.

Ultimately, I'd much prefer to see a decent stockpiling of picks with a tradeback but that would require some other team willing to pay that ransom to move into the top 3. Minnesota seems like the logical choice to do that with a need at QB while owning two firsts in this draft but the reports are the Pats are asking for an unprecedented drafts haul for a QB starting at 4-5 first round picks. I think the Vikings may be willing to go three firsts but four might be asking for too much.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    While I've been hoping for a trade back with the Vikings or Giants as my first preference,I'm starting to come around a bit with taking a QB at that 3rd spot.

Of the two,I think that Daniels has a much higher upside but he's also got the greater chance to be a bust if he doesn't commit fully to playing at a higher weight, not alot but up in the 220-225 range. If he could prove that he could make that type of commitment to your organization then I would do the same for him by surrounding him with a ton of high end talent like he had at LSU.
    For NE that would mean drafting multiple playmakers in the top 3 rounds this year and next. Turn over almost all of your WR room outside of maybe Douglas & Bourne. We saw Daniels play at a high level when his supporting cast was stacked so go stack it but after picking him he's got basically a redshirt season in year 1 to learn what he can from Jacoby Brissett and the coaching staff. Run him as the 2nd or 3rd string QB in practices while trying to get his weight up. Absolutely have some coach teach him how to get down ASAP at the end of his long runs so he can protect his body more.
    He's 3 years older than Maye so you won't be able to be patient with him for too long but if they could (purposelly) endure another tank type season where their picks are high in each round like in 2024 (3/34/68/103,) they could then surround Daniels with a ton of high end talent on offense. Where he goes from there would be on him.

I'd like to see a similar plan if they went with Drake Maye but they could be a bit more patient if needed. He's still pretty young and while he might not have Daniels upside,he seems likes a kid willing to put in the work and wants to get better. He comes from great stock where his father and brothers have all excelled in different sports and he maybe the best of the bunch.
    Also do with Maye what Alex van Pelt & Eliot Wolf couldn't do in Cleveland with Baker Mayfield,do the best job possible developing the Qb after drafting him so high. If this means drafting a young QB at 3 and sitting him until he's not only ready from a mental AND physical standpoint then so be it. It also gives you time to rebuild the OL up too.
    For some reason Bill gave up on drafting that cornerstone Left Tackle in later years after watching Matt Light & Nate Solder hold down that position for 17-18years. He traded for Trent Brown who was phenomenal in a contract year where he made All-Pro while helping NE win the SB. He then got paid by the Raiders and was never the same again even when BB traded for him a second time.
    They really need to just find thei guy for that position and forget about him until its time to give him a new contract. The really good LT's will likely be gone by pick 34 but maybe you get your WR there then pick a tackle in round 3 who can fill in at LT for a season until you could use your 2025 1st on that position. they'll likely be drafting top 10 next year so finding an elite LT then should be much easier.

Ultimately, I'd much prefer to see a decent stockpiling of picks with a tradeback but that would require some other team willing to pay that ransom to move into the top 3. Minnesota seems like the logical choice to do that with a need at QB while owning two firsts in this draft but the reports are the Pats are asking for an unprecedented drafts haul for a QB starting at 4-5 first round picks. I think the Vikings may be willing to go three firsts but four might be asking for too much.

I would absolutely take 3 first roundere

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I would absolutely take 3 first roundere

I would too but hopefully all of this posturing by NE pays off and they get the vikings to pony up more picks.
    Go Big or Go Home! 😉

• Options
    edited April 12, 2024 6:20AM

I think we may have finally found our bridge QB for 2024. 😎
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39922737/tom-brady-says-not-opposed-late-season-nfl-return

Seriously though,trade pick #3 to the Vikings for 3 1sts then draft nothing but playmakers and tackles. 2-3 really good wideouts, two starting caliber tackles and decent tight end would be nice too.
    Then trade some '25 picks for a Tee Higgins or Brandon Aiyuk just before convincing Tom to get in playing shape asap. 😉👍

• Options

^^^^^^^^^ this. I am all in!

• Options

You could stay at pick #3 and draft an absolute stud left tackle in Joe Alt or you could give him a beast at WR like he's never had before in Marvin Harrison Jr. Depending on which position you took at 3 you could then go get that other need with pick 34. There's going to be about 2-3 really good left tackles and about the same number of decent wide receivers.

You could then double up again with both positions using their next 2 picks.
    I'd probably go with Alt then look for a great route running deep threat with their 2nd pick like AD Mitchell or Xavier Legette. Use their 3rd pick on the best right tackle so you could then push Onwenu back to Right Guard where he's at his best. Then if Cole Strange is fully healhy by week one you're looking at the makings of a high end offensive line.
    Grab another Wr in round 4 like Luke McCaffrey who's a converted Qb to WR. Very dependable in an Edelman/Amendola type of way.
    Maybe then grab a developmental TE or another OT or WR. I'm good with adding as much talent as possible to those key positions. Then after the draft look to overpay for some of the best free agents at Safety, Cornerback & Offensive Line.
    Maybe Bob Kraft would ok the possibility of trading 2-3 fairly high picks for a young proven Wr who would need a top of the market contract along with those picks.

If i had a 46yr old Brady that would still have the same level of commitment that he had just 4-5 seasons ago, Hell Yeah I'd be ok with giving Tom a shot at this current age. The only real questions are; could Brady make it through another NFL season?
    Is he even really willing to put his body through all that?
    If Yes, then I'm all in too lol.
    I'd love to see what an older Tom Brady could do with a talented young offense and I wouldn't even care about any playoffs success either. This is just one last chance to see arguably the greatest Qb ever just going out there and throwing it around.
    Sign me up! 😎

• Options

I would take a 47 year old Bridge QB!!! but only if it is Mr. Brady

• Options

Brady mentoring a rookie QB would be epic