Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 New England Patriots Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well considering that there aren't really any tackles on the roster he's an improvement lol. Sounds like he was solid starter in Pittsburgh but was overpaid then the Steelers drafted a cheaper,better player in Broderick Jones to replace him.

He's 26yrs old, has started over 50 games and signed for very little money. I'll take it, its a good start to free agency.

Hunter Henry re-signed for much less than was expected, 3yr/27M. there were projections that he'd, at least, get paid around his previous contract 3/37.5.

• Options

The Dynasty documentary has finally talked about that time that Vlad Puton punked Bob Kraft for his SB ring. 🤣😂🤣

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The Dynasty documentary has finally talked about that time that Vlad Puton punked Bob Kraft for his SB ring. 🤣😂🤣

Epic 😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

IIRC Mac is from Jacksonville so good for him getting out of NE and going home.

Agreed. I wish him well

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

IIRC Mac is from Jacksonville so good for him getting out of NE and going home.

Agreed. I wish him well

All his family friends to support him and no pressure while he learns behind Trevor Lawrence. This might have been the best possible case scenario for him.

ironiocally,NE plays Jacksonville in 2024, maybe we see Lawrence catch a cold in that week before the Pats matchup and Mac gets the start. 😎

• Options

Just read that Denver traded WR Jerry Jeudy to the Browns for 5th & 6th round picks. I would have made that trade in a heartbeat if NE had the chance especially when they just got back a 6th for Mac.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on Jones getting set free. Backup QB in the NFL might be the best job in sports, get paid a ton to do nothing.

For Jeudy his team may have been working behind the scenes to not let him go to NE since their 5th and 6th rounder would be worth more. Jeudy and Mac were teammates in college and Mac saw significant time Jeudys last year so maybe they thought trading Mac and getting him that would be issue. Latest draft rumors have them trading back if Williams or Daniels isnt there maybe theyre just going to do weird things. Doesnt make much sense not to jump on that Jeudy trade given their current position

In other QB news Baker is finalizing a 3 year 100 million dollar deal with the Bucs with 50 million guaranteed so hes not an option anymore

• Options
    edited March 10, 2024 7:50PM

Kendrick Bourne re-signed with NE on a 3yr/19M deal that could be worth up 33M. his signing bonus is just 4M.
    i like that they brought him back even though he's been recovering from a knee injury, he'd be a solid deep threat once they upgrade the wideouts above him on the depth chart.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Congrats on Jones getting set free. Backup QB in the NFL might be the best job in sports, get paid a ton to do nothing.

For Jeudy his team may have been working behind the scenes to not let him go to NE since their 5th and 6th rounder would be worth more. Jeudy and Mac were teammates in college and Mac saw significant time Jeudys last year so maybe they thought trading Mac and getting him that would be issue. Latest draft rumors have them trading back if Williams or Daniels isnt there maybe theyre just going to do weird things. Doesnt make much sense not to jump on that Jeudy trade given their current position

In other QB news Baker is finalizing a 3 year 100 million dollar deal with the Bucs with 50 million guaranteed so hes not an option anymore

Is Juedy not that good or was it Wilson's fault he rarely caught balls?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Kendrick Bourne re-signed with NE on a 3yr/19M deal that could be worth up 33M. his signing bonus is just 4M.
    i like that they brought him back even though he's been recovering from a knee injury, he'd be a solid deep threat once they upgrade the wideouts above him on the depth chart.

Bourne is their best WR which obviously isn't saying much. But I do like they are keeping a guy who knows the system for short money

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 3:46AM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

He was a stud in college and was good in Denver too. Im not sure much will change with the Browns but they are excited like they just got a first rounder cheap which they did. Just bad QB play in Denver while he was there, He was still only 24 last season and Denver is just dumping everyone right now since they decided to eat the 85 million on the Wilson contract instead of wait a year to cut him and save a ton of cap money.

Looks like Wilson is going to the Steelers according to his social media posts

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

He was a stud in college and was good in Denver too. Im not sure much will change with the Browns but they are excited like they just got a first rounder cheap which they did. Just bad QB play in Denver while he was there, He was still only 24 last season and Denver is just dumping everyone right now since they decided to eat the 85 million on the Wilson contract instead of wait a year to cut him and save a ton of cap money.

Watson needs to go back to being a high end QB.

Sky is the limit for Cleveland if Watson plays like the Browns paid him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Bourne is their best WR which obviously isn't saying much. But I do like they are keeping a guy who knows the system for short money

Coming off of his knee injury they signed him for a good price. Haven't seen the guaranteed money yet but it sounds like his deal is mostly incentive based, if he reaches the highest ones then he's likely playing much better than expected.

Its interesting seeing Tee Higgins ask for a trade out of Cincy today, who knows if that is a legit request or Higgins just stonewalling to get a better offer from the Bengals. Not that Its likely to ever get this far but I'd give up a 2025 1st in a deal for him then sign him to a 4-5yr deal especially if they go with Maye or Daniels at 3 (that pick could potentially be pretty high like it was this year.)
    Then you'd have your QB/WR tandem locked in for the length of your rookie QB's contract and you could even try hard to get Saquon signed. That would be a solid foundation to build your offense around. That all being said, we won't see it happen lol. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

So far all three other AFCE teams are taking a big hit in free agency today...
    Bills WR Gabe Davis signing with Jacksonville
    Jets DE Bryce Huff signs with the Eagles
    Fins DT Christain Wilkins signs with Raiders

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 11:26AM

Double Post. Anyone else dealing with lag on the CU forum today??

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Double Post. Anyone else dealing with lag on the CU forum today??

It took me awhile to post actually, it froze for awhile

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Coming off of his knee injury they signed him for a good price. Haven't seen the guaranteed money yet but it sounds like his deal is mostly incentive based, if he reaches the highest ones then he's likely playing much better than expected.

Its interesting seeing Tee Higgins ask for a trade out of Cincy today, who knows if that is a legit request or Higgins just stonewalling to get a better offer from the Bengals. Not that Its likely to ever get this far but I'd give up a 2025 1st in a deal for him then sign him to a 4-5yr deal especially if they go with Maye or Daniels at 3 (that pick could potentially be pretty high like it was this year.)
    Then you'd have your QB/WR tandem locked in for the length of your rookie QB's contract and you could even try hard to get Saquon signed. That would be a solid foundation to build your offense around. That all being said, we won't see it happen lol. 🤷‍♂️

I see what your saying but giving up a first for Tee Higgins just sounds like a horrible idea, he is solid but not elite

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

I see what your saying but giving up a first for Tee Higgins just sounds like a horrible idea, he is solid but not elite

Yeah,thats the rub. I listened to a Pats podcast earlier that compared his trade value to Tyreek Hill's when he got traded. They're not comparable in trade value,imo.

Barkley just signed with Philly so there's goes my masterplan. 🤣

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 12:56PM

Pats did sign Redskins Rb Antonio Gibson and are releasing WR DeVante Parker.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 5:26PM

Mike Onwenu re-signs on a 3yr/57M/38G deal with 22M as a signing bonus. This is great news!

Also QB Jacoby Brissett is signing with the Pats.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2024 5:34PM

@erikthredd said:
    Mike Onwenu re-signs on a 3yr/57M/38G deal with 22M as a signing bonus. This is great news!

Also QB Jacoby Brissett is signing with the Pats.

I'm really happy to hear about Onwenu!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Watson needs to go back to being a high end QB.

Sky is the limit for Cleveland if Watson plays like the Browns paid him

They could definitely be a dangerous team if Watson plays like Watson has in the past. For whatever reason players especially QBs just get worse when they end up in Cleveland over the last 20 years, so Ill believe it when I see it

• Options

The Patriots are in agreement with former Browns LB Sione Takitaki on a 2-year deal. never heard of this guy.

• Options

I wouldnt give up a first for Higgins or even a second when theyre most likely going to be picking in the top 5 and almost certainly top 10 again. Hes probably looking to leverage a better contract or looking to go somewhere where hed get more targets. Other than Chase Burrow really spreads the ball around

Just use the draft pick on a WR next year who would be better. Theres big ones on the way next year too. Pats absolutely have to use their 2nd rounder on a WR this year if they draft a QB at 3. Williams will likely be taken by Washington if hes there at 2, but its looking like the bears might be stuck with Fields, The one team that showed interest in him just signed Cousins and the other teams are more interested in the first pick than Fields. The Bears have also been asking to much for Fields and it doesnt look like theyre willing to just cut him. Vikings and Broncos both have offers out to Sam Darnold. This QB order at the top of the draft is getting interesting

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    I wouldnt give up a first for Higgins or even a second when theyre most likely going to be picking in the top 5 and almost certainly top 10 again. Hes probably looking to leverage a better contract or looking to go somewhere where hed get more targets. Other than Chase Burrow really spreads the ball around

Just use the draft pick on a WR next year who would be better. Theres big ones on the way next year too. Pats absolutely have to use their 2nd rounder on a WR this year if they draft a QB at 3. Williams will likely be taken by Washington if hes there at 2, but its looking like the bears might be stuck with Fields, The one team that showed interest in him just signed Cousins and the other teams are more interested in the first pick than Fields. The Bears have also been asking to much for Fields and it doesnt look like theyre willing to just cut him. Vikings and Broncos both have offers out to Sam Darnold. This QB order at the top of the draft is getting interesting

Rumors have it that the Pats & Jags are the two teams really in on Calvin Ridley right now and Jacksonville just signed two WRs today so they may be out soon. I think NE is somewhere near half of what they originally had for cap space (100M) depending on how much Onwenu is getting up front, if they could sign just one of Calvin Ridley, Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams then I'd be very happy with this free agency.

They've brought back all of their best FAs, other than Uche who didn't even get an offer from NE, and if they add one of those three players it means they could go WR or Tackle at 34 depending on who signs. Then use 68 on another WR or Tackle.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

Rumors have it that the Pats & Jags are the two teams really in on Calvin Ridley right now and Jacksonville just signed two WRs today so they may be out soon. I think NE is somewhere near half of what they originally had for cap space (100M) depending on how much Onwenu is getting up front, if they could sign just one of Calvin Ridley, Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams then I'd be very happy with this free agency.

They've brought back all of their best FAs, other than Uche who didn't even get an offer from NE, and if they add one of those three players it means they could go WR or Tackle at 34 depending on who signs. Then use 68 on another WR or Tackle.

Looks like you got your wish. Brissett signing with the Pats for reportedly 8 mil that can be up to 12 mil. Hes not who I would want teaching a young QB but that seems to cement that the Pats will have a high pick next year as well.

I would have traded down with the Falcons or Vikings/Raiders/Broncos but its looking like thats off the table. Its certainly off the table for the Falcons, Raiders just signed Gardner for 2 years, Vikings Broncos are looking like theyre happy to wait until next year for a QB. Falcons would have been the perfect spot to grab an elite tackle, use the 2nd pick for a WR, and go from there.

The Bears situation with Fields is throwing a wrench into things which is admittedly more interesting. Id be surprised if they got any of the Ridley, Smith or Williams. Teams generally dont left tackles walk (though Smith is getting old) and WRs want to play with QBs. Ridley is probably the most likely since hes not a true number 1 and they could just pay him a bunch of money to be okay with his decline in stats with Brissett as his QB

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

Looks like you got your wish. Brissett signing with the Pats for reportedly 8 mil that can be up to 12 mil. Hes not who I would want teaching a young QB but that seems to cement that the Pats will have a high pick next year as well.

I liked Brissett the most because he was going to be the cheapest option for NE if signed. Minshew got 2/25, Baker got 3/100 w/50M total guaranteed and Cousins much more than that. I didn't want that type of guaranteed money going out on a QB when they planned on taking one at 3, use that cap elsewhere.

As for your teaching a young Qb remark, I wouldn't expect any better than Brissett will give them had it been Minshew or Baker.

I would have traded down with the Falcons or Vikings/Raiders/Broncos but its looking like thats off the table. Its certainly off the table for the Falcons, Raiders just signed Gardner for 2 years, Vikings Broncos are looking like theyre happy to wait until next year for a QB. Falcons would have been the perfect spot to grab an elite tackle, use the 2nd pick for a WR, and go from there.

As far as trading back, obviously Atlanta is likely off the table now but who knows with the Vikings/Raiders/Broncos? LV signed Minshew but that could easily turn into a similar mentoring role as Brissett if they traded up for a QB.
    nothing is set in stone until the picks get announced and to just assume one way or the other is premature,anything could happen between now and then.

The Bears situation with Fields is throwing a wrench into things which is admittedly more interesting. Id be surprised if they got any of the Ridley, Smith or Williams. Teams generally dont left tackles walk (though Smith is getting old) and WRs want to play with QBs. Ridley is probably the most likely since hes not a true number 1 and they could just pay him a bunch of money to be okay with his decline in stats with Brissett as his QB

!) if Riidley signs with NE its because they gave him more money than everyone else and the stats are probably secondary in importance when they literally are still missing half of an offense. Ridley is 28 and this is likely his best chance at getting paid,his next deal may be worth much less than this one he'll be signing soon.

LoL you're hating hard on Brissett like I was expecting him to be the team's savior at Qb this season, if this Qb at 3 is as talented as you and everyone else makes them out to be then Brissett won't be behind center long if he is at all.
    Everyone keeps assuming the Pats will sit that rookie Qb but the team has never stated that was the plan. This also isn't the same as Brady,Rodgers or Mahomes sitting when each of their teams still had very good QBs in Bledsoe,Favre & Alex Smith starting for them.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I liked Brissett the most because he was going to be the cheapest option for NE if signed. Minshew got 2/25, Baker got 3/100 w/50M total guaranteed and Cousins much more than that. I didn't want that type of guaranteed money going out on a QB when they planned on taking one at 3, use that cap elsewhere.

As for your teaching a young Qb remark, I wouldn't expect any better than Brissett will give them had it been Minshew or Baker.

True the Qbs wont teach someone to replace them but you can learn by watching better ones.

As far as trading back, obviously Atlanta is likely off the table now but who knows with the Vikings/Raiders/Broncos? LV signed Minshew but that could easily turn into a similar mentoring role as Brissett if they traded up for a QB.
    nothing is set in stone until the picks get announced and to just assume one way or the other is premature,anything could happen between now and then.

I think youd agree that trade backs are less likely or at the very least less of a return with whats happened. Raiders are always a wild card but its looking like if someone trades back it will be the Bears again.

!) if Riidley signs with NE its because they gave him more money than everyone else and the stats are probably secondary in importance when they literally are still missing half of an offense. Ridley is 28 and this is likely his best chance at getting paid,his next deal may be worth much less than this one he'll be signing soon.

LoL you're hating hard on Brissett like I was expecting him to be the team's savior at Qb this season, if this Qb at 3 is as talented as you and everyone else makes them out to be then Brissett won't be behind center long if he is at all.
    Everyone keeps assuming the Pats will sit that rookie Qb but the team has never stated that was the plan. This also isn't the same as Brady,Rodgers or Mahomes sitting when each of their teams still had very good QBs in Bledsoe,Favre & Alex Smith starting for them.

Agree Ridley should take as much money as he can while he can and the guaranteed part is probably the difference.

I never thought that you though Brissett was the savior, but the reasons you mentioned are why I dont like it. I dont like guys getting thrown into situations to fail and there is good chance Brissett will get benched putting a rookie in a bad spot which the fans will blame them for. Id rather see them not start the rookie QB if they do take one first year and it seems like 6 or 7 games of Brissett fans will be pushing for it

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

True the Qbs wont teach someone to replace them but you can learn by watching better ones.

Brissett spent his rookie season watching Tom Brady prepare and if you're going to pick up the right kind of habits to help improve your preparation for the games then Jacoby couldn't have found a better one to learn from than Tom.

I think youd agree that trade backs are less likely or at the very least less of a return with whats happened. Raiders are always a wild card but its looking like if someone trades back it will be the Bears again.

Agree Ridley should take as much money as he can while he can and the guaranteed part is probably the difference.

I never thought that you though Brissett was the savior, but the reasons you mentioned are why I dont like it. I dont like guys getting thrown into situations to fail and there is good chance Brissett will get benched putting a rookie in a bad spot which the fans will blame them for. Id rather see them not start the rookie QB if they do take one first year and it seems like 6 or 7 games of Brissett fans will be pushing for it

Cmon man, look at this roster right now, the offense is going to fail regardless on whether its Brissett,Flacco,Mayfield or Minshew behind center. You're assuming that its going to be Brissett's failure as to why NE ends up going to their rookie QB sooner than expected and I'm telling you that there's been ZERO info coming from the team that they plan on sitting the rookie QB for the season. Its a real possibility that whichever QB that they draft could start week one.

If Maye or Daniels actually takes over for Brissett its not going to be because Brissett wasn't any good,it will because the rookie QB is so far better of a player than JB is and sitting him would make zero sense if NE adds enough pieces around him this offseason.

Brissett was a fit because of his familiarity with the Pats OC (from Cleveland) & HC (from his rookie year in NE.) If the team wanted a different backup QB they could spent the money on someone who put up better stats on bad teams. Instead they signed the guy that they know.

• Options

There's a report out that Calvin Ridley currently prefers jaguars over Patriots, meaning he wants NE to pony up more cash.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 12:55PM

@erikthredd said:
    There's a report out that Calvin Ridley currently prefers jaguars over Patriots, meaning he wants NE to pony up more cash.

I'm a fan of Ridley, I'd be ok with them paying him bigger money.

Not stupid or ridiculous money but bigger is ok lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Definitely but like you said,don't make it stupid money. Reportedly he's looking for a a contract similar to what Michael Tillman signed for, 3yr/71M/46G. Wolf really needs to be sure that Ridley is the guy to pay that much money especially after recently signing Juju who they now want off their books. Unless they trade Juju,if they go to release him they'll have 12M dead cap hit.

If they decided to slightly overpay someone then I'd rather see it go to a tackle like Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, maybe even find another serviceable guard who could start. Overpay on the OL then they could go QB at 3 and WRs at 34/68 or maybe a TE with that 68 instead.

From what I've read elsewhere and what Basebal21 has pointed out numerous times here,this is a very deep draft for Tackles and Wide Receivers so it the bidding gets too high for one of those two positions they could always pass.

If they miss on Ridley then there are still these Wrs available in free agency. They're just not considered a #1/borderline #1 WR like Ridley.
    Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

• Options

Josh Uche back for one more year at 3M. There was talk back before the trade deadline that he could see some decent pass rusher money if he hit the market, guess that wasn't the case.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 2:29PM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Definitely but like you said,don't make it stupid money. Reportedly he's looking for a a contract similar to what Michael Tillman signed for, 3yr/71M/46G. Wolf really needs to be sure that Ridley is the guy to pay that much money especially after recently signing Juju who they now want off their books. Unless they trade Juju,if they go to release him they'll have 12M dead cap hit.

If they decided to slightly overpay someone then I'd rather see it go to a tackle like Tyron Smith or Jonah Williams, maybe even find another serviceable guard who could start. Overpay on the OL then they could go QB at 3 and WRs at 34/68 or maybe a TE with that 68 instead.

From what I've read elsewhere and what Basebal21 has pointed out numerous times here,this is a very deep draft for Tackles and Wide Receivers so it the bidding gets too high for one of those two positions they could always pass.

If they miss on Ridley then there are still these Wrs available in free agency. They're just not considered a #1/borderline #1 WR like Ridley.
    Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

I really don't want to see another Ju Ju situation, I mean it's potentially the case that the QB play was so bad that he was not able to be himself I guess but you are not wrong when you say you would rather the money go to a tackle, I mean Ridley would be a nice shiny toy if we coukd get him for a few seasons to compliment the rebuilding process.

Michael Thomas is an interesting free agent, he was all works then just stopped being good and stopped playing lol, I know he got hurt but the whole thing with him has been weird after he had that monster reception season.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

I really don't want to see another Ju Ju situation, I mean it's potentially the case that the QB play was so bad that he was not able to be himself I guess but you are not wrong when you say you would rather the money go to a tackle, I mean Ridley would be a nice shiny toy if we coukd get him for a few seasons to compliment the rebuilding process.

Michael Thomas is an interesting free agent, he was all works then just stopped being good and stopped playing lol, I know he got hurt but the whole thing with him has been weird after he had that monster reception season.

A toy that we've rarely had in NE lol, believe me I'm not against adding a guy like that to their offense. It wouldn't be bad at all if they overpaid a bit but if things did go south then that's a ton of money locked into the WR position between Ridley,Juju and even Bourne is his rehab goes offschedule.

I just read your good riddance to Parker comment in the other thread and thought how even if they go the draft a WR high route and maybe even double dip, DeVante Parker is a very good example of a WR getting picked pretty high and not living up to his draft position. (1st rd/14th pick) In 9 seasons just three times over 700 receiving yards and surpassing 1k yards just once.

Even though its only been 2 seasons, Tyquan Thronton is another example of someone not living up to their draft position. (2nd rd/50th pick) There's just no guarantee that going with a drafted WR, especially in rounds 1-2, means you're going to hit big with that player.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Cmon man, look at this roster right now, the offense is going to fail regardless on whether its Brissett,Flacco,Mayfield or Minshew behind center. You're assuming that its going to be Brissett's failure as to why NE ends up going to their rookie QB sooner than expected and I'm telling you that there's been ZERO info coming from the team that they plan on sitting the rookie QB for the season. Its a real possibility that whichever QB that they draft could start week one.

If Maye or Daniels actually takes over for Brissett its not going to be because Brissett wasn't any good,it will because the rookie QB is so far better of a player than JB is and sitting him would make zero sense if NE adds enough pieces around him this offseason.

Brissett was a fit because of his familiarity with the Pats OC (from Cleveland) & HC (from his rookie year in NE.) If the team wanted a different backup QB they could spent the money on someone who put up better stats on bad teams. Instead they signed the guy that they know.

There seems to be some miscommunication going on here. Exactly the reasons youre stating are why I dont like the Brissett deal. I know the offense is going to fail no matter what and have said that it will take 2 drafts to fix the offense barring some QB have a preposterously good year or something like the Chargers just dumping Williams and Allen to save money.

I also know that whether it be Daniels, Maye, Williams they will likely beat out Brissett in camp as they are all significantly better and it will be up to the discipline of the staff to keep them on the bench which probably wont happen. I am hoping which ever one they take doesnt play this year until they get more help for them so its just not a Mac Jones or a Baker situation in Cleveland all over again like we see year in and year out.

What I was hoping to see was some Veteran QB on a 1 or 2 year deal where the value was enough that they wouldnt get benched and keep the rookie on the bench. If someone has to be thrown to the wolfs it might as well be someone making a lot of money where you can reasonably say they are the best option. No one is going to believe Brissett is the best option over any of those three QBs

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

There seems to be some miscommunication going on here. Exactly the reasons youre stating are why I dont like the Brissett deal. I know the offense is going to fail no matter what and have said that it will take 2 drafts to fix the offense barring some QB have a preposterously good year or something like the Chargers just dumping Williams and Allen to save money.

I also know that whether it be Daniels, Maye, Williams they will likely beat out Brissett in camp as they are all significantly better and it will be up to the discipline of the staff to keep them on the bench which probably wont happen. I am hoping which ever one they take doesnt play this year until they get more help for them so its just not a Mac Jones or a Baker situation in Cleveland all over again like we see year in and year out.

What I was hoping to see was some Veteran QB on a 1 or 2 year deal where the value was enough that they wouldnt get benched and keep the rookie on the bench. If someone has to be thrown to the wolfs it might as well be someone making a lot of money where you can reasonably say they are the best option. No one is going to believe Brissett is the best option over any of those three QBs

I get what you're saying but the team obviously didn't want to put to much money into the QB position knowing that they're building the offense from scratch. Signing Brissett on a 1yr deal says that they'd like to see what other options are out ther at QB next offseason. I'm assuming the plan is to start Brissett and sprinkle in as much play from the rookie as possible, if he doesn't just win the job outright.

Their options in free agency were always going to be limited where outside of the top 2 FA QBs,everyone else was really just a Jag. I liked this particular jag because he performed well in the little playing time he got his first time around. Supposedly Zappe maybe released soon.

• Options

Pats CB Jalen Mills signed with the Giants. He was a solid player while here filling in all over the back end of the defense. Myles Bryant is their other cornerback in free agency.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

A toy that we've rarely had in NE lol, believe me I'm not against adding a guy like that to their offense. It wouldn't be bad at all if they overpaid a bit but if things did go south then that's a ton of money locked into the WR position between Ridley,Juju and even Bourne is his rehab goes offschedule.

I just read your good riddance to Parker comment in the other thread and thought how even if they go the draft a WR high route and maybe even double dip, DeVante Parker is a very good example of a WR getting picked pretty high and not living up to his draft position. (1st rd/14th pick) In 9 seasons just three times over 700 receiving yards and surpassing 1k yards just once.

Even though its only been 2 seasons, Tyquan Thronton is another example of someone not living up to their draft position. (2nd rd/50th pick) There's just no guarantee that going with a drafted WR, especially in rounds 1-2, means you're going to hit big with that player.

Our WR drafting under Belichick is amongst the worst in the league

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

And the worst part (or best depending on how you look at it) was they're best and third best WRs that Bill drafted were a converted QB in Edelman and a converted RB in David Givens.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Hollywood Brown
    Curtis Samuel
    KJ Osborn
    Odell Beckham
    Tyler Boyd
    Michael Thomas

And the worst part (or best depending on how you look at it) was they're best and third best WRs that Bill drafted were a converted QB in Edelman and a converted RB in David Givens.

And both those guys were successful products due to Brady as we all know

• Options

Raiders TE Austin Hooper is coming to NE on a 1yr deal worth up to 4M while Pats TE Pharaoh Brown signed with Seattle.

Also Josh Uche turned down a 2yr/15M/11G deal to re-sign with NE for 1yr/3M. Sounds like he really believes Mayo can help raise his value for next offseason.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

I get what you're saying but the team obviously didn't want to put to much money into the QB position knowing that they're building the offense from scratch. Signing Brissett on a 1yr deal says that they'd like to see what other options are out ther at QB next offseason. I'm assuming the plan is to start Brissett and sprinkle in as much play from the rookie as possible, if he doesn't just win the job outright.

Their options in free agency were always going to be limited where outside of the top 2 FA QBs,everyone else was really just a Jag. I liked this particular jag because he performed well in the little playing time he got his first time around. Supposedly Zappe maybe released soon.

I get that and it does makes sense for a team not wanting to spend like that. I just dont like guys getting set up to fail and I think that is what is likely to happen here again. Fans have a tendency to turn on players quickly and QBs generally have 2 to 3 years before a team moves on. If that first year is wasted in a bad spot and fans already start disliking them it becomes harder in the next year or two with all the criticism and people calling for their job

If theyre going to take Daniels, Maye, or Williams at 3 theyre going to out play Brissett in camp and its going to be hard for them not to start them right away. It will get even harder after losing the first few games if they dont. Titans might be their only should win game and thats a road game

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 8:22PM

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

I get that and it does makes sense for a team not wanting to spend like that. I just dont like guys getting set up to fail and I think that is what is likely to happen here again. Fans have a tendency to turn on players quickly and QBs generally have 2 to 3 years before a team moves on. If that first year is wasted in a bad spot and fans already start disliking them it becomes harder in the next year or two with all the criticism and people calling for their job

If theyre going to take Daniels, Maye, or Williams at 3 theyre going to out play Brissett in camp and its going to be hard for them not to start them right away. It will get even harder after losing the first few games if they dont. Titans might be their only should win game and thats a road game

I don't think that they're setting anyone up to fail when whichever free agent QB that could have signed here would have all been dealing with the same issues: lack of passing targets and very little Oline depth. There was never going to be a quick fix regardless on whether the Qb's name was Brissett, Flacco, Cousins or Mayfield.

I liked Brissett the most because he
    1) learned under Brady
    2) he was professional during his first stint in NE
    3) he'd be cheap
    4) probably most important, he wanted to play in NE knowing full well what their offensive situation looks like.

That last part doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is setting him up to fail. their offense is flawed right now but they're slowly putting pieces in place to get better, Obviously a better QB,WR & LT need to be added but they still have plenty of resources to get that done. Will they? We won't know that answer until the draft has ended.

We've pretty much exhausted the Jacoby Brissett topic at this point so i'll end that discussion here. There's going to be plenty of other signings/draft picks to go on about soon enough.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

I don't think that they're setting anyone up to fail when whichever free agent QB that could have signed here would have all been dealing with the same issues: lack of passing targets and very little Oline depth. There was never going to be a quick fix regardless on whether the Qb's name was Brissett, Flacco, Cousins or Mayfield.

I liked Brissett the most because he
    1) learned under Brady
    2) he was professional during his first stint in NE
    3) he'd be cheap
    4) probably most important, he wanted to play in NE knowing full well what their offensive situation looks like.

That last part doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is setting him up to fail. their offense is flawed right now but they're slowly putting pieces in place to get better, Obviously a better QB,WR & LT need to be added but they still have plenty of resources to get that done. Will they? We won't know that answer until the draft has ended.

We've pretty much exhausted the Jacoby Brissett topic at this point so i'll end that discussion here. There's going to be plenty of other signings/draft picks to go on about soon enough.

Not an intentional setup, but putting people in positions to fail which we see all the time for QBs is where the saying mostly comes from. Brissett isnt the guy and good for him for making a career out of it. Jameis took less to go be a back up in Cleveland and sure some of it is where people want to go.

I'm fine with it as long as the QB they take at 3 isnt thrown into the fire. They wont be able to get a top QB, tackle, and WR all in this draft, they dont have enough picks. A decisions going to have to be made with tackle or WR in the second assuming they take a QB at 3 and those tackles left will be right tackles

Regardless of the team Im more interested in not seeing QBs and top picks ruined going to bad situations where they are made to play right away like with Young and numerous Jets and Browns QBs. The Bears have a unique position where they have some guys and 2 top 10 picks, Washington is pretty eh and realistically what 5 to 6 wins again for the Pats probably at best?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Raiders TE Austin Hooper is coming to NE on a 1yr deal worth up to 4M while Pats TE Pharaoh Brown signed with Seattle.

Also Josh Uche turned down a 2yr/15M/11G deal to re-sign with NE for 1yr/3M. Sounds like he really believes Mayo can help raise his value for next offseason.

Hooper is to.fill.a hole for short money

Surprised Uche agreed to only 3 million

I like these small money hole fillers but soon we will need to really spend.

OL, WR and DB should be focal points after we draft a QB