Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    FredSFredS Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to make an offer, this is useful information ........

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regency holders are quite rare. Most of the coins in them are from Israel from the Danny Kaye collection, so a US coin is even rarer. Also, note the Eliasberg notation.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what you asking but I found it interesting that this early of a holder even got a S/S designation as I had never seen one. Later PCGS holders would have this listed as a Mint error and S/S but no FS #. So it just struck me as curious.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

Crack it out and have "Blay" added to the provenance...... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

This one sold last weekend - rare in that it's the only known (to me) PCGS Sample with a Mercury dime. Also has a very odd label, as shown. Brought $1327.

• Options

NCGS, not a reliable company, and the grade is way too high, but I've never seen any other NCGS holders so I figured I'd share.

Can anyone share their experiences with the quality of compugrades grading quality?

• Options

@KiwiNumi said:
    Can anyone share their experiences with the quality of compugrades grading quality?

Compugrade is an interesting case. Reportedly they didn't actually make the computer grading work correctly and everything in a Compugrade slab was hand graded (or reviewed) by a human who made the final decision.

I'm not aware of ANYBODY who has ever compared grades with current (of any era) standards. You would need more than a handful and they're pretty rare. Tim has probably handled more than anyone I know of.

-----Burton
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    This one sold last weekend - rare in that it's the only known (to me) PCGS Sample with a Mercury dime. Also has a very odd label, as shown. Brought $1327.

Funny you should ask. I know a guy with a database. Added it as PCGS-010-3-11 but marked not collectible.

Only other one I know of is known not to be as rare, but very very seldom seen:

NGC-010-4-1

"This is the only known NGC Mercury dime sample. The eBay auction result of $66 was surprisingly low, but the sale on 2/18/15 happened during a period of oversaturation in the eBay sample market. I listed the actual price as the catalog value in the 2nd edition. Subsequent sales were much higher giving us the listed price., but if you see another, expect to pay much more."
    "Alex Canavan in his Sample Coins Slabs blog for April 28, 2012 reported that NCG indicated these were made in January 1996. He also hypothesized they were made in a tiny number, however examination of the NGC database shows 70 were made. The database shows one 1941, one 1941S, 31x 1941, 11x 1942, 20x 1943, and 6x 1944. The most recent auction hammered for 364.74, missing our 2023 Top 50 list by around a Benjamin."

-----Burton
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it too early to call CACG samples "rare plastic"? This is supposedly the only CACG holder containing a non-US coin and only a hundred were produced:

Tim

• Options

Well, 100 made might put it in the company of scarcer Luncheon slabs, but if there are 50 collectors, don't expect much in the way of price appreciation. :wink:

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Well, 100 made might put it in the company of scarcer Luncheon slabs, but if there are 50 collectors, don't expect much in the way of price appreciation. :wink:

Fair point. There have been very few sales on eBay but what has sold has been between $100 and $200 and the last one sold (to me) on 1/1/24.

Time will tell….

Tim

• Options

Looks pretty ordinary, right? Oh, another of the PCGS Authentics - there are at least 15,000 of them out there.

BUT... when a 1921 surfaced on fleaBay a couple of years back, my "complete" set was no longer complete. This is just the 2nd 1921 I've ever seen.

-----Burton
  • Options

I remember when that 1921 appeared - I was at work, happened to see it but couldn't get away from what I was doing fast enough to nab it (it was a reasonable BIN price).

• Options

And by the time I saw it, it was g o n e .

-----Burton
  • Options

Here's one that's unique to date according to the recently published Hall Flip article. Fit's nicely with my 38-D Buffalo generations set!

• Options

I haven't seen this posted in a while. Yes, I stole the picture (but I have permission to use it - somewhere tucked away in an old email).

-----Burton
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 9:33AM

Apparently this picture did not post correctly!?

• Options
  • Options
    Jim500Jim500 Posts: 37 ✭✭

Thanks for the info. Coin looks good to me but ownership adds a point or two.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 9:34AM

Why am I getting LOLs on this coin? I acquired this Merc here on the forum about 6 years ago and have never seen another coin in these Heritage flips since. I actually like this coin a lot. Sorry, I am missing what's funny? Please explain.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Hallco said:

@Hallco said:

Why am I getting LOLs on this coin? I acquired this Merc here on the forum about 6 years ago and have never seen another coin in these Heritage flips since. I actually like this coin a lot. Sorry, I am missing what's funny? Please explain.

We can’t see it. It appears to be a post with no pictures or text. I thought that you would probably repost it after you realized the mistake. I’ll remove my lol.

And as proof, here is what the post looks like currently:

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco I can now see the coin.
    Nice Merc in an uncommon holder!

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, we've got it now! :)

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 6:38AM

Here's a PCGS sample slab, 1 of 240 issued at the January 2015 FUN show PCGS Collectors Club members luncheon.
    They used the 2014-P Everglades quarter again in 2020.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

Can't recall seeing the HA flip before - thanks for working through the posting problem. :+1:

• Options

No, had no clue re: EAC - - surprising that we haven't seen some offered on ebay.

• Options
  • Options

Yep - just referring to the name on the envelope.

• Options

Nice!

There are two varieties of AACGS - American Alliance and American Family (IIRC)... They did some cool multi-coin holders to take advantage of the space, such as the 5 50SQ for a given year.

Of course, you need a Redfield holder or three to go with the Paramount ones.

I call out two versions of Global (one with PAT PEND on the shell and the gold foil version here). You will find some odd stuff in their holders. ASEs are pretty normal, but Waffle canceled? Some of those have a picture of the waffling cylinder - definitely something you don't want to meet in an alley. They were in business at least through 2014 (I have a 2014 Sac).

Their website started in 2001 and that matches what Conder101 said about them:

https://web.archive.org/web/20011206085927/http://www.globalcertified.com/

The submissions page offered both bulk "generic" photos and custom photos.

https://web.archive.org/web/20011206231659fw_/http://www.globalcertified.com/submission_sheet.htm

Finally, starting in 2021 it redirects to Bob Paul Rare Coins (PA). Bob was there as part of Global in 2001!

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file