Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven they are new, so selling for IMHO insane prices on fleaBay. Typically the first couple of sales are moon money, they then head down recognizing that several hundred exist.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    @vulcanize this not so much a distress sale, as an auctioneer known for using PCGS price guide (with their proud-of-their-plastic prices) with bunk sub-basement grading companies who inflate grades at least 3-4 grades if they are even in the ballpark.

Yes, but the price realized was lesser than one-fifth of the guide price quoted. :wink:

Cheers.

• Options
    -----Burton
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Yes, there's truth to that - the Canadian samples aren't seen very often! Here's a 25c piece from Sampleslabs.com.

Very rare. Probably only a few were done.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2023 10:56AM

Have you guys ever seen these?

2021 Fiji 1 Dollar

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

Guess they caught the error on time and removed because i have one with no picture of the prez.

• Options

@vulcanize there are lots of different labels, the presidential portrait costs extra.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/labels/special-labels/american-leaders/

I don't know if the submitter requested the wrong label, but the verifier shows the Eisenhower label.

FDR (#1114) and Dwight (#561) are both available only for bulk submissions at this time, the Roosevelt label for dimes (1946- date + the 2015 March of Dimes coin) and the Eisenhower label for Ike dollars, 1971-1978,

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

I don't know if the submitter requested the wrong label, but the verifier shows the Eisenhower label.

FDR (#1114) and Dwight (#561) are both available only for bulk submissions at this time, the Roosevelt label for dimes (1946- date + the 2015 March of Dimes coin) and the Eisenhower label for Ike dollars, 1971-1978,

The other two NGC graded PF 70 slabs I bought in 2020 from same seller had two different portraits of Roosevelt and this was the only one that had no picture, hence bought this one as well. :wink:

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the prices these are bringing, they HAVE to be rare?? :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

The PCGS database shows 200, from 46379099 to 46379298

-----Burton
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭

A quick pic and upload of my PCGS Banknote SAMPLE 2013 $2 FRN
    I received it at the PCGS 2020 F.U.N. show luncheon. Thank you,

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭

One more for today.
    This one is from my first PCGS luncheon F.U.N. show January 11, 2008.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure how accurate it is but most of these sample slabs I’ve seen have ended in odd numbers. This one is even.

• Options

Mine: 3050217, 3050219, 3050902, and 31504-02

The one in the ad in The Numismatist was 3050414

-----Burton
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@UpGrayedd said:
    I have seen a Blanchard slab, and I have seen a Redfield in a Paramount slab, but I don't think I have seen a Redfield in a Blanchard slab posted yet.

Did you buy that off me on eBay? lol I def sold one.

I don't know. I bought this off ebay several years ago, but I'm not sure from whom. There was one sold on ebay a few months or so ago, but I wasn't the buyer. I put in a bid in case it went too cheap, but it ended up going for more than I was willing to spend on a duplicate.

I see it’s for sale again

• Options

It's funny how hard some of those 2008 Luncheon slabs are to find, especially specific Presidents.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    It's funny how hard some of those 2008 Luncheon slabs are to find, especially specific Presidents.

Have you seen the prices for Coffee at ANA WFoM? People crack them out to help pay for it.

A sample slab or MY MORNING CAFFEINE? DO NOT MAKE ME CHOOSE.

-----Burton
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Blanchard that is grades MS60+ ... seems closer to MS62 to me

• Options

Remember, they're a PFG (First Party Grader) entombing their own coins for sale to their customer. In an era when grades were more commonly BU (MS60), Choice or Select BU (MS63) and Gem BU (MS65).

-----Burton
  • Options

This sample is being offered on ebay for a $10 BIN, seller in VA. It's a style not often seen, as described below.

• Options

PCGS Holder Museum has the PNG Hologram as 4.1 with dates from 2002-2004. 4.2 has the CLCT hologram above, from 2004-2005.

State name spelled correctly or not, and the 14008.00/7141540 vs. 14008/00.7141540 cert#. David's book notes that misspelling the word is common.

My notes say https://www.pcgs.com/cert/71041540 is an MS-61 1880-S Morgan dollar. Odd as TPGs tend not to reuse cert#s of real coins for samples.

That gives us eight possible samples and five are now cataloged. I tend not to assign #s until I've seen it or have it in hand or have usable photos.

Spelling, Cert, Hologram - Schwager# or Status

Correct. 14008.00/7141540. 4.1 - sold recently on eBay, several for sale, logged as PCGS-025-4-41
    Correct. 14008.00/7141540. 4.2
    Correct. 14008/00.7141540. 4.1 - sold and for sale on eBay, PCGS-025-4-42
    Correct. 14008/00.7141540. 4.2 - PCGS-025-4-24, at least 2 for sale on eBay
    Incorrect. 14008.00/7141540. 4.1
    Incorrect. 14008.00/7141540. 4.2
    Incorrect. 14008/00.7141540. 4.1 - PCGS-025-4-25
    Incorrect. 14008/00.7141540. 4.2 - Now known (ABOVE) logged as PCGS-025-4-40, another example is for sale

-----Burton
  • Options

I've held off posting either of these until I could image them together.

Stupidity too. I'm looking at them thinking well I can stitch two images together and to finish aligning the coins on the background I reach over and move my other lens out of the way. And then it's like - oh bleep, I can use the lens NOW IN MY HAND... so...

The ultimate cross-over:

-----Burton
  • Options

This thread is getting long enough that I can't recall what I've already posted!

Trying to fill out the missing grades on this decommissioned PCGS grading set. Not even sure if they exist .....has anyone seen a 58+ or grades 1-3??

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some older holders

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about unique.....in the truest meaning of the word. Yeah, there are a lot of Rattlers out there and a lot of these common date Jeffersons have been graded, but according to the Oct 1989 PCGS Population report, these are all one of one graded in any grade for the date/mintmark and housed in a Rattler.
    Each one is unique.

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this Iowa Commemorative to break out for my 7070 a few years back. I still haven't broken it out. PCGS slab for comparison.

• Options

Some candy...

-----Burton
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple recent acquisitions. The top one has a prototype foil label we were testing at one time:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    Here are a couple recent acquisitions. The top one has a prototype foil label we were testing at one time:

I really like the foil label. Why did ANACS decide not to use it?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

Here are a few sample slabs I have picked up since the last time I posted to this thread.

NGC sample with a Great Britain Penny. The label says 1963, but it is actually a 1964.

It is in David Schwager's book, but it's the first NGC sample I have seen with a foreign coin.

Blanchard Sample

NAAC Sample

This one is an oddity to me. I haven't seen a lot of "basement" slabbers with sample slabs. While my photography skills are too poor to capture it, the coin actually has some attractive toning.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@cmerlo1 said:

I really like the foil label. Why did ANACS decide not to use it?

They were difficult to print on. This one looks good, but if you find my earlier post in this thread, you'll see what I mean. There's one in that post with a different foil label where the printing doesn't look so good.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

It's a holiday weekend for some so let's start it off early.

I was able to add to my collection of slabs from around the world. I don't know how "rare" these slabs are, but you don't see a lot of them in the U.S.

SANGS a South African TPG.

CSIS from China.

The seller said this one was a sample slab, but I can't read Chinese characters so quien sabe.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Here's a sample not often seen.

OMG

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

What you are looking at is a terrible picture of the first company to slab coins' slab.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1046732/the-first-company-to-slab-coins

-----Burton
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the first non-mainstream (PCGS, NGC, or ANACS) slabs I’ve ever owned. I bought these coins as bullion, and the old ACG slabs were a bonus. The only knowledge I have about ACG is from a few of the posts in this thread.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2023 2:48PM

Not sure how common or rare this is, if at all. I primarily picked it up for the coin off of Proxibid a few years back.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2023 2:47PM

I'm primarily PCGS now but a few years ago I took a chance on these but PCGS didn't take kindly and refused to crossover. Oh well, I'll most likely free them from their cages soon.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    edited February 18, 2023 8:52AM

Maybe I'm starting a signature collection IDK, but I picked up a PCI Signature Series slab signed by J.T. Stanton.

I also grabbed these. It says there are 10,000 of them so I guess they aren't rare, but I thought these slabs signed by our very own @dcarr were pretty cool. I hope Mr. Carr didn't develop carpal tunnel from signing 10,000 of these babies. :D

Edited to add: I guess that would actually be 20,000 signatures. Ouch!

• Options

Wow - lots of slabs and variations I haven't seen before! Thanks for sharing them! :+1:

• Options

I was finally able to purchase my first PCGS Regency slab. It is one of the Danny Kaye coins (coin # 23). It came with the box, but unfortunately did not include the green bag.

I don't know if I got a good deal or not (I know the Danny Kaye coins are seen as less desirable by some), but I am pleased with my purchase because I didn't think I would ever find a Regency slab in my price range.

• Options

Schwager#s: Compugrade-050-1-2, Compugrade-050-1-1, Compugrade-050-1-1

Cam: Compugrade 1.1, not listed, Compugrade 1

-----Burton
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I was finally able to purchase my first PCGS Regency slab. It is one of the Danny Kaye coins (coin # 23). It came with the box, but unfortunately did not include the green bag.

I don't know if I got a good deal or not (I know the Danny Kaye coins are seen as less desirable by some), but I am pleased with my purchase because I didn't think I would ever find a Regency slab in my price range.

Nice pick-up and as @Lakesammman mentioned, low serial number. I must have missed this one as I am watching for them all the time. I think @cbtazman has the felt bags available but they are pricey.

Tim

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare! Only 8 total. :D

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

An old ANACS slab with a misidentified coin. The coin is an 1855/854 overdate.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:
    An old ANACS slab with a misidentified coin. The coin is an 1855/854 overdate.

A lot of times, varieties aren't indicated if you didn't pay the up-charge.

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file