Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked these up for spot on Property Room last night:

Tim

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Tim.

I might have mentioned organizing my Accugrade collection and even posted picks of the stack of the two most common... finished organizing, everything is a spreadsheet, etc. - yeah... shifting stuff around to put the double row boxes away, I found another whole TUB of ACG slabs.

Good thing I have 9 hours of meetings to monitor (vs. actively participating in) next week.

Something for the weekend? OK, found my Blanchard Redfield Peace Dollar...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Nice Tim.

I might have mentioned organizing my Accugrade collection and even posted picks of the stack of the two most common... finished organizing, everything is a spreadsheet, etc. - yeah... shifting stuff around to put the double row boxes away, I found another whole TUB of ACG slabs.

Good thing I have 9 hours of meetings to monitor (vs. actively participating in) next week.

I see I'm not the only one who multi-tasks during Zoom and Teams' meetings. :)

Sounds like rummaging through your collection is like a treasure hunt. Look forward to seeing what's in the mystery tub.

Tim

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    That I can answer...

And somewhere in there is the famous (2 or 3 known "ACCURADE" - where they couldn't even spell the name of the company correctly).

The 3 purple "Since 1984" with the obverse bar code are also rare. 2nd row down, 2nd pile from the right. The bar code just scans as "11".

Holy cow! What a hoard. That is impressive. Has to be one of the largest collection of "Accurade's" anywhere.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 7:01PM

@Lakesammman said:
    Let's start the weekend!

This might make a nice addition as well??

number 2! whooo

nice item and pics. :smiley:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:

Nice, it's hard to tell (at least on my screen), but MS65+ that is a Paramount holder with the green insert correct?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes , it’s a green holder

• Options

OK, one more...

According to the late Cameron Kiefer, he was told by the owner that Accugrade does not and has not make/made sample slabs". So look away young minds ... Of course, he showed three styles on his site (https://www.sampleslabs.com/acg.html). My ACG1 is 2#s lower, so that could be a slip, but my ACG2 is 250 cert#s lower.

-----Burton
  • Options

@jughead1893 said:
    Yes , it’s a green holder

Cool, those are pretty rare. I have wanted to put together a set of black, red, and green Paramount holders along with an original Paramount wooden box. I've got a red and black Paramount, but I'm still looking for a green and the box. GC sold a box last year for $326 with the BP. At the time I thought it was too much, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    OK, one more...

According to the late Cameron Kiefer, he was told by the owner that Accugrade does not and has not make/made sample slabs". So look away young minds ... Of course, he showed three styles on his site (https://www.sampleslabs.com/acg.html). My ACG1 is 2#s lower, so that could be a slip, but my ACG2 is 250 cert#s lower.

Now those are cool. First I've ever seen.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - biggest PCGS sample I've ever seen! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Here's a rare piece of plastic - prototype insert that was rejected by PCGS, only 5 were said to have been made. Obviously impractical for all but the smallest coins.

i love it but completely concede it is very distracting to the coin.

wonderful addition to the Lake collection of madness beauty!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

Seller photos- do not have it in hand yet...will be interesting to see it in hand from what I have read on the net about this individual/company..
    Its a cheap gamble...LOL

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options

Not really plastic, but turns out there are things you can't slab...

I usually trot this one out for the more absurd "what is your oldest coin" when somebody posts a bi-centennial quarter...

-----Burton
  • Options

And this - my newest - the less common SIlver (not plated) (China) version of our host's 35th-anniversary medal.

-----Burton
  • Options

I think these are real PCGS, Tim... I know for the 30th they had special packaging and signed (David Hall) versions identifed for the Cbina market.

-----Burton
  • Options

Just called the number for fun. Got a very short Collectors Universe robo-message saying they were closed for the holiday. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Just called the number for fun. Got a very short Collectors Universe robo-message saying they were closed for the holiday. :D

For the record, the earliest captures in the Internet Archive are from 1997/1998 and list that phone #.

https://web.archive.org/web/19970413072932/http://pcgs.com/brochure.html

(The December 1996 capture just grabbed the splash page that doesn't have contact info)

-----Burton
  • Options

jtlee321 - if you ever want to sell those 38-D Buffs, let me know!

What are the odds of 2 consecutive posts with toilet seat holders?? :D

• Options

The 38-D Buffs got me thinking, I've got an ANACS blue label that I need @86Saab's opinion on. The front label appears to be an ANACS 8.0, but the back label has a larger barcode like the ANACS 8.1. Could this be a transition between the two?

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

@toyz4geo said:

Not so much a rare slab as there are still quite a few Rattlers out there BUT! the combination of coin and holder is not only rare but unique. These 8 Jefferson nickels are the only date/mintmark graded in any grade and housed in a Rattler according to the 10/89 PCGS Pop report.

I guess the rattlers continued on for awhile still as I have a Jefferson Nickel1943-D MS-65 cert number 9088961in a rattler.
    1953 thru 1964 proof Jefferson nickels in rattlers. missing a few of the dates.
    These are listed in my PCGS Set Registry under collector showcase, First Generation Holder, and RJP Rattler Collection.

Bob

• Options
    edited September 14, 2022 6:04AM

No & yes...

It's likely a custom manufacture by Capital Plastics (the screws are the ones they use) for the named company.

The tech behind those is simple, it's three pieces of acrylic plastic with the middle layer cut out. Then you tap the holes for screws. I've also seen it done with rivets.

Gold foil stamping is also easily available.

You can do it today with laser cutting and some light hand finishing. I'd actually invert the lettering, engrave it on the back and then fill with a color.

-----Burton
  • Options

I used to subscribe to their newsletter, but have not seen that product before - thanks for sharing it! :+1:

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

How about rare cardboard to HOLD rare plastic. Was hoping to buy this to hold my rattlers but just couldn't bring myself to bid more than $375.

• Options

It will be fun to see what this goes for - lot's of interest with about 3 weeks to go.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    How about rare cardboard to HOLD rare plastic. Was hoping to buy this to hold my rattlers but just couldn't bring myself to bid more than $375.

fwiw, once you pass say $100-200 for a cardboard box, if it will truly tickle your liver, what is really the problem to going to $1k?

ever donated $1k or more at a time? spend more than $1k on a vacation? etc.

it is all a matter of perspective. if you REALLY want it....

i promise ya this bud, you ain't taking it with ya!

i've now have lived so long and seen so much, the word crazy has taken on a WHOLE new meaning.

some people pay thousands for a meal, tens of thousands for alcohol/wine and never see it again once consumed; at least you'd have a box to show for it. LMAO

• Options

@Lakesammman said:

i KNEW i liked you for a reason.

• Options

fwiw, once you pass say $100-200 for a cardboard box, if it will truly tickle your liver, what is really the problem to going to $1k?
    OK - next time I'm placing the nuclear bid!

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 454 ✭✭✭

I was bidding on the double row rattler box. But the price just got too high. For $1K you can have the next rattler double box, I will stay out of it.

Bob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file