Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    How about rare cardboard to HOLD rare plastic. Was hoping to buy this to hold my rattlers but just couldn't bring myself to bid more than $375.

Is there any value in the old PCI storage boxes or old ANACS storage boxes that fit the small soap bar slabs?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2022 9:09AM

@bob48 said:
    I was bidding on the double row rattler box. But the price just got too high. For $1K you can have the next rattler double box, I will stay out of it.

I know that they wouldn't garner the same interest as the old PCGS storage box shown by @Lakesammman, but I wonder if anyone would pay a premium/collect old PCI and/or ANACS storage boxes? The ANACS box fits the old soap bar slabs produced after ANACS was sold to Amos Press, which are slightly larger than the earliest slabs.

Edited to add: These aren't really for sale at the moment (I don't want to run afoul of the forum rules). I was just shocked by the amount the PCGS box brought, and was curious about other old slab boxes. I want to make sure my wife doesn't throw them out after I kick the bucket if they have significant value.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody sold one of the PCI boxes on fleaBay within the last year. Zero memory of how the auction ended.

The Amos/CoinWorld/ANACS is more interesting and probably less valuable. I'm not aware of much fuss ever made about the ownership. Almost the opposite- very low key. There was some fuss about selling out, but nobody could figure out how to find the $ to invest to make ANACS competitive. Even a significant increase in fees would have taken years to raise the money.

Even lower key is the sale by Amos to Anderson.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

I did buy the PCI box and I keep those slabs in it. Don't own many PCI slabs.
    I do like the old TPG boxes and will buy them when I can find them, as long as the price is reasonable.

Bob

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Always wanted to ask this question.
    How many out of business holders do you own?
    I have been collecting them for about 20 years now and Have about 78 companies.
    I think Condor101 has approx. 132+ of them.

Bob

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 said:
    Here's a recent pickup from my LCS. I've never heard of Twenty-first Century Grading Service before. I wonder why they went with TCGS and chose a blue label? LOL

Nice score, Justin. I don’t have any of those in my collection. In fact, I’ve never even seen one before.

Tim

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@jtlee321 said:
    Here's a recent pickup from my LCS. I've never heard of Twenty-first Century Grading Service before. I wonder why they went with TCGS and chose a blue label? LOL

Nice score, Justin. I don’t have any of those in my collection. In fact, I’ve never even seen one before.

Tim

Thank you Tim! I had never seen one before either. What surprised me is that it's not in a CoinWorld slab, it's actually sonically sealed and it has that round hologram on the label. It has a series of overlapping circles that rotational effect when you tilt it in the light. I knew I had to have it the moment I saw it in the case. I paid less than $50.00 for it, which felt like a bargain. :)

• Options

Here is what I could find online, @jtlee321. Looks like the company has a checkered past.

\

Let me know if you ever want to part with it. I made a nice red hole for it in my collection spreadsheet. :)

Tim

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Impressive ...... most impressive!

someone should have been willing to spend that much JUST to do away with the apropos saying, "buy the holder, not the coin!!!!!"

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

David posted them on IG. There were two NGC White labels sold for around $1,500 each. And an NCG Black for $14k.

-----Burton
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope SEGS is okay to be added on here.

I had picked up the following rotated die 1936-D Mercury dime with FSB at a local show some time ago because it looked great in hand.

Not sure if I would have bought it online if the above pics were posted by seller. :wink:

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like the old ANACS slabs. I added this to my war Nickle

collection

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

I’m waiting for the day when a slab company slabs slabbed coins and grades them.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

@Vasanti : Your wish is my command...

-----Burton
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a couple I've got from eBay and who knows where I can't remember, I guess I'm having another senior moment.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently on GC - one of the rare Doilies with no PCGS at the top center of the label!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

WMP was a FPG (first party) slabbing their own coins for sale, like Blanchard and Hanes-Tulving.

The Capital Plastics holder patent (utility patent): https://patents.google.com/patent/US2998126A/en was granted in 1961, and expired in 1978. What makes these interesting is the inner transparent air-tight part:

1. A coin display holder for a set of coins which are encased in separate pockets within an air-tight sealed package of pliable transparent material, the holder including an outer pair of rigid transparent sheets, an inner pair of sheets of rigid material, one inner sheet having coin-receiving openings spaced from each other and in alignment with corresponding openings in the other inner sheet, the assembled pair of inner sheets being disposed on opposite sides of a packaged set of coins and form.- ing a mask for the package between the spaced openings, and means for holding the inner and outer sheets together in rigid assembly with the encased coins disposed in the openings of the inner pair of sheets.

The more well-known and current Capital Plastics holders are just three pieces of acrylic sheet screwed together.

-----Burton
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

not mine.

posting for those that track em.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks @LanceNewmanOCC -- that auction company quotes "values" as if those are premium quality PCGS coins.

If it wasn't too expensive and I bought then, it would just be another in the "NTC Shell" bucket. So I generally pass.

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Just because I had them in hand and I'm working on my camera setup (new PC = new software)...

Toning on a CompuGrade slab is new to me.

The nice person who sold me the 1921 Morgan is sworn to secrecy as to how much I paid for it. Secret. Got it? It was a 2-coin deal and I can apportion the costs however I want to, understand????

Nice set of Compugrade’s, Burton. I still only have one in my collection as their rareness is underrated.

Beautiful toning on the ‘85-O reverse.

Tim

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Here's one I picked up about 4 years ago - INS - 2 full sheets of description, a laminated certificate and the coin in a flip - would be a cumbersome way to grade and collect! Note all the punches on the reverse with the letter "I".

If there is a line that points to wear, then how can they also grade it a MS65?

Young Numismatist

• Options

Hmmmm ... I could find a home for the 61.4 in my collection.

Whomever sold you the 1921 could have done better ...... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Oh?

What is the market price for a CompuGrade slab with a cheap coin in it?

-----Burton
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2022 4:34PM

About $200 - more if it has all the attributes on the label (see lower right in this picture) or "Morgan" like on yours.

I bought this run of grades 60.0 to 63.9 from the late Astrorat. I have over 50 unique grades, trying to build a grading set of Morgans from 60.0 to 65.0.

Edited for typo .....

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2022 9:55PM

Just a few I have acquired..

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options

Good start...

Lots of basement - AACGS, INB, SGS, ANI. Props for the NACS that's less common.

NTC and NNC (those are the bowling tropjys tucked to the niches on the stairs down to the basement.

PCI gold box and ANACS(Amos press pwmership) = fading glory of what used to be reputable.

Redfield - the old maid Aunt.

Older NGC - nice!

you need

A rattler (PCGS) to keep the NGC company. And an ANACS (blue label - ANA Ownership).

A Green label PCI, the older 90s version not the repro.

A PhotoSlab (Global is the most affordable)

-----Burton
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2022 7:43AM

@BStrauss3 said:
    Good start...

NTC and NNC (those are the bowling tropjys tucked to the niches on the stairs down to the basement.

PCI gold box and ANACS(Amos press pwmership) = fading glory of what used to be reputable.

Older NGC - nice!

you need

A rattler (PCGS) to keep the NGC company. And an ANACS (blue label - ANA Ownership).

Rattlers were tucked away +..lol

• Options

Early PCGS : Check
    FPS (First Party Slabbers): Check

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Good start...

Older NGC - nice!

you need

Hey @0ronron - you have a couple holders in your collection I'm missing. Let me know if you ever want to sell the NANC or Northwest Grading slabs. Or alternatively, I could trade you for some nice Global or PCI photo slabs.

Tim

• Options
    edited December 28, 2022 12:47PM

@pointfivezero said:

@BStrauss3 said:
    Good start...

Older NGC - nice!

you need

Hey @0ronron - you have a couple holders in your collection I'm missing. Let me know if you ever want to sell the NANC or Northwest Grading slabs. Or alternatively, I could trade you for some nice Global or PCI photo slabs.

Tim

They will be in my collection for a bit, but as soon as I am ready to part with them I will let you know..

• Options

@0ronron said:

@pointfivezero said:

@BStrauss3 said:
    Good start...

Older NGC - nice!

you need

Tim

They will be in my collection for a bit, but as soon as I am ready to part with them I will let you know..

Thanks @0ronron - just to whet your appetite, here are a few of my larger holders (I still have most of the slabs in this picture):

Tim

• Options

Canadian PCGS samples. I was told not many of those around. Any truth to that?

NGC 8.0. Produced Aug - Sept 2000:

NGC 10.0. NGC's website on front; ANA's the Lamp of Knowledge seal on rear. Produced July - Aug 2003 only:

• Options
    edited January 14, 2023 7:10AM

Yes, there's truth to that - the Canadian samples aren't seen very often! Here's a 25c piece from Sampleslabs.com.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2023 9:53AM

Here's one I haven't had before. Any NGC fans here who can help pin down the rarity??

Rare invisible planchet coin ......also posted by BStrauss3 on page 2.

• Options

Mine.

Here's the reverse

S3ed# NGC-AU1/2-9-1

"This unusual, empty, NGC Promotional slab was discovered at the ANA WFoM 2021. Neither the seller nor NGC could explain it. The hole is too small for the 1st Spouse Medal, but examples of this type of label and holder are known. A $10 Gold Spouse coin would have been one of the most valuable samples ever, so an empty slab certainly is more cost-effective. The coin was released in November 2007, but the subject and size were known well before the coin's release making it impossible to date. The reverse hologram is the large rear version with ANA and PNG logos at the bottom - John D's (86Saab) Generation 13 which he indicates was produced Nov 2004 - Feb 2008."

You can see a sample of the medal here: https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/tokens-and-medals/u.s.-mint-medals-modern/500104/ (2nd example at the bottom).

-----Burton
  • Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I've never seen this type of plastic holder before - for a very nice Mint Set.
    Turns out the Franklin half is a Bugs Bunny! Was this the way they were marketed back then?
    Certainly not OGP, and not a Capitol holder.

• Options

That may not be made by Capital Plastics, but that is their type of holder... any competent plastics shop can make them. It is just three sheets of acrylic plastic with holes cut in the center sheet, flame polished and tapped for screws. Or, I own one that was riveted together.

The time consuming part is setting up the rotary engraving machine for the lettering. (Today tou would use a laser cutter) But that is essential for even a small run.

-----Burton
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guide price of $845.00 rare PGA MS 65+ sold at distress sale :p

But it does look nice in hand.

• Options

@vulcanize this not so much a distress sale, as an auctioneer known for using PCGS price guide (with their proud-of-their-plastic prices) with bunk sub-basement grading companies who inflate grades at least 3-4 grades if they are even in the ballpark.

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file