Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said
    You should see if the NIFC tag works. ;)

The one I have does not even have the chip - hold it up to a light

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said
    You should see if the NIFC tag works. ;)

The one I have does not even have the chip - hold it up to a light

I'll have to dig it out and try, but what are the two of you saying? Do you think it is a counterfeit slab?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

Not hardly. Just that they didn't bother to put a 10c chip into the slab with a bogus cert#.

-----Burton
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I'll have to dig it out and try, but what are the two of you saying? Do you think it is a counterfeit slab?

No, just for curiosities sake. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3
    @Ownerofawheatiehorde
    You are both correct there is no chip. The barcode does scan, but it comes up as a 2007-W $10 Gold Eagle.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

It was not a guess. An invitation to repeat and experiment I had already performed. That's the essence of the scientific method - repeat to reconfirm.

As opposed to the board norm of extrapolating from a single point with direction chosen by wishing.

-----Burton
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Just picked this up, sample 1.3. My first rattler sample :)

That slab looks like it's in pristine condition and if you paid the stickered price, you did very well.

Tim

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@Kliao said:
    Just picked this up, sample 1.3. My first rattler sample :)

That slab looks like it's in pristine condition and if you paid the stickered price, you did very well.

Tim

Yeah, slab is in great condition. The printing is bright black compared to the other rattler that I have. Seems like they were running low on ink for the AM of sample which is interesting. Looking at ebay comps, $5 looks to have been a very good deal for it. :)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Dot matrix printing was always fun. When you first started for the day, the part of the ribbon that had been exposed to the air was always almost dried out. It would rehydrate when it fed back into the cartridge and rubbed against other parts of the ribbon.

New ribbons could be too dark so you changed the adjustment and then spent weeks chasing it via adjustments until finally, you could no longer convince yourself it was visible.

Depending on the printer, changing the ribbon ranged from trivial snap-in cartridges to it's 1:35 pm, I don't have enough time to change this before 5 pm rolls around.

Basically, most shops had ONE person who was skilled in the dark arts and did ribbon changes. If Bob took a week off, you made do.

-----Burton
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2023 1:16PM

I recently bought a collection of stuff that had these samples in it. I don't know (yet) if any of these have much of a premium.
    The top row, of course, has the wide hologram and the bottom row has the taller hologram.

The upper left coin (without divider) is also a mechanical error - the label does not indicate a D mint mark, but it is a D coin.

• Options

314661- is a well-known sample, Schwager# NGC-050-4-8.

Kiefer states that this and other 1964 Kennedys were dealer samples. NGC gave these away in large numbers, reusing the 314661 submission number repeatedly. The eBay records show 52 sales of 314661-001 through 314661-050, with some serials appearing two or three times. One serial 001 sample with a 1969-D coin sold for $202.50.

We haven't previously recorded the no-line fatty, so I'm going to steal your image for the 3rd edition of the book.

640322- is also known, NGC-050-4-11

640313- was not previously known, I've assigned it NGC-050-4-20

-----Burton
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    314661- is a well-known sample, Schwager# NGC-050-4-8.

Kiefer states that this and other 1964 Kennedys were dealer samples. NGC gave these away in large numbers, reusing the 314661 submission number repeatedly. The eBay records show 52 sales of 314661-001 through 314661-050, with some serials appearing two or three times. One serial 001 sample with a 1969-D coin sold for $202.50.

We haven't previously recorded the no-line fatty, so I'm going to steal your image for the 3rd edition of the book.

640322- is also known, NGC-050-4-11

640313- was not previously known, I've assigned it NGC-050-4-20

Excellent info, thanks. I used my flat-bed scanner to get a quick group shot.
    Let me know if you need better (individual) photos of the 314661 (no line) and/or 640313 .

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread.

• Options

I think that one is hand-signed - not pixelated and the crossings are doubled ink.

-----Burton
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the NGC black 5 coin proof set is $100K with a little over an hour to go......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Well, $112,500 with buyer's premium (discounted to $110,000 if you pay by check).

-----Burton
  • Options

The recent sale of the "hand cut" doily caught me by surprise! Seller advertised it as "the 1804 dollar of samples".

Same seller is offering the Pearson "sample", ending later today. If it was tied to promoting PCGS, I'd be more interested and consider it a true sample. If you feel differently, let me know why.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Based on decisions I've made for "tangentially related", the Pearson slab would not be cataloged today. However I also put a Stare Decisis rule in place and am keeping it in the 3rd edition of the book.

https://sampleslabs.info/whitepapers.html

-----Burton
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2023 7:25AM

@Lakesammman said:
    The recent sale of the "hand cut" doily caught me by surprise! Seller advertised it as "the 1804 dollar of samples".

Same seller is offering the Pearson "sample", ending later today. If it was tied to promoting PCGS, I'd be more interested and consider it a true sample. If you feel differently, let me know why.

I was the collector that first reported the existence of the hand cut doilies with no white bar and pleaded with Lakesamman not to sell off his discovery lot of these ultra rare sample slabs.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

You needed to plead harder, 'cause I don't recall that ..... :D

• Options

Happy it didn’t sell for $.59 more.

Tim

• Options

Thanks for the posts - fun to see!

This is the 1st CAC Inaugural slab #1 I've seen offered. Investors were given 10, I believe, numbered 1-10. I suspect most have hung onto #1. I picked it up in LB this week at a table.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Thanks for the posts - fun to see!

This is the 1st CAC Inaugural slab #1 I've seen offered. Investors were given 10, I believe, numbered 1-10. I suspect most have hung onto #1. I picked it up in LB this week at a table.

CACG said that was just an internal and non significant digit.

-----Burton
  • Options

Maybe insignificant to you! :D

• Options

Break the pattern of the cert#s and I'll be impressed. I think there is a check digit since +1 -1 don't verify.

-----Burton
  • Options

Well, at least the shipping is reasonable! :D

• Options

Yep. Reported. Best case idjit copied a listing. Worst case is idjit created a deliberately misleading listing.

-----Burton
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cloth that coin is sitting on is definitely not a doily. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    The cloth that coin is sitting on is definitely not a doily. ;)

Of course not, it's an antimacassar!

https://pieceworkmagazine.com/push-pull-doily/#:~:text=(The antimacassar, now considered a,advice about their proper use.

-----Burton
  • Options

Highest graded Doily in the census.

• Options

Will certainly be interesting to see what kind of money it brings. I’m a watcher.

Tim

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2023 5:40AM

@pointfivezero said:
    Will certainly be interesting to see what kind of money it brings. I’m a watcher.

Tim

$2,302 plus $17.10 shipping for the doily Franklin!
    Was that more than expected?

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

How much of that is for the doily slab?

• Options

It does seem like an astonishing amount of money has come into the market, recently, and is chasing the recognized rarities.

It seems like the same thing is happening in the general coin market.

And both are seeing the same results: Sellers are asking Moon money for lesser objects which are /a/ not selling and /b/ pricing ordinary collectors out of the market.

-----Burton
  • Options

@U1chicago said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

10x the PCGS value of the coin? Certainly was shocking to me. Congrats to the seller, whomever it may be.

I'm also watching this one on Heritage, already over $2K with the juice but it is a $1K coin and has a gold bean:

Tim

• Options

This style is offered VERY infrequently - 1st WA that I've seen. The last 2 different states in my thread were 2016 and 2021 - offered by Nates on Ebay currently.

• Options

Apropos of some ANACS photo certificates posted up thread...

I've mentioned in a couple of places that the coins were returned in a polyethylene bag inside a PVC flip with a warning note.

There is a listing on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/256336345354) that shows this clearly:

Polyethylene is food grade and thus inert. I've seen a few still packaged like this (I own one, a Mercury Dime IIRC) and they do not seem to have had any problems, even 38 years later.

-----Burton
  • Options

Burton - thanks for the informative port! :+1:

I'm beginning to feel like a novice...... :D

• Options

Looks like a holder for a gold $5. Certainly, PCGS could have used the right sized holder for a sample slab.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one. Interesting it was designated a variety (its FS 502)
    WS
    https://ebay.com/itm/305352584147?hash=item47186eabd3:g:RM4AAOSwUb9lodZP

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Here is one. Interesting it was designated a variety (its FS 502)
    WS
    https://ebay.com/itm/305352584147?hash=item47186eabd3:g:RM4AAOSwUb9lodZP

What gives, the holder? $750 coin at 10K.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file