Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Barberian said:
    An old ANACS slab with a misidentified coin. The coin is an 1855/854 overdate.

A lot of times, varieties aren't indicated if you didn't pay the up-charge.

For a variety with its own priceline in the Redbook? It's a 5-second attribution. I figure identifying properly to Redbook variety came with the basic grading service. I gather that they grade and never look at the date of the coin they're grading, simply trusting the collector's identification.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schwager#s: Compugrade-050-1-2, Compugrade-050-1-1, Compugrade-050-1-1

Nope - there are 3 distinct samples, not 2.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman I'm pretty sure I know what's in my own database, Tim... and -1 and -2 are a direct copy from David's book. The only difference is 1967 vs. 1969..

There are many samples where the same number is used for several date/mintmark combinations with otherwise identical labels... There are cases where it is entirely different countries even (World Numismatics or the Mad Marty ones).

I'll listen to why you think it's a separate sample.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Just having a little fun with you - as typed, it looks like the last 2 are duplicates.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman I'm actually being serious (I know, for once :smiley: )

I'm always willing to entertain discussions as to why something is a separate item. Or shouldn't be separate?

Roughly, the focus is on collectability. I also take guidance from Cam and David's book (I'm not looking to rewrite the book, but rather to add to it).

It's all nuances...

Last year I found a series - previously un-reported - of NGC State Quarter samples for sale on fleaBay out of a hoard. Researching the cert#, I found 34 states, 2x of each state.

If I put them in the database, that's 34 out of 160ish brown label samples that are uncollectible: Since 25 are in my hands, I missed out on Ohio which went for insane money, and 8 states never came up for sale. It's in the database as one Schwager#. Not impossible, but pretty hard to find.

Also found an edition of 240 50SQ YN samples... 120 from one state, 40 each from two other states, and the last 80 from a fourth state. One Schwager# or four???

Jeff Shevlin's SCD samples... he made maybe 40 each with a different SCD... no real population data available.

NGC-005-4-1 which reuses the same cert# over and over and that cert# was used for other samples? Those are clearly from different eras and so there are nine Schwager#s in the DB.

-----Burton
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 I think I found a couple of the ANACS prototype foil labels. Do you know how common or rare these are?

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2023 2:37PM

@UpGrayedd said:
    @cmerlo1 I think I found a couple of the ANACS prototype foil labels. Do you know how common or rare these are?

They appear to be like the 1956-D cent sample I posted on page 1 of this thread. Not sure how many we were given to test, so I don't know how rare.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@UpGrayedd said:

They appear to be like the 1956-D cent sample I posted on page 1 of this thread. Not sure how many we were given to test, so I don't know how rare.

Thanks for the reply.

• Options

I have several DGS slabs, but they all have a solid insert like PCI slabs. This is the first one I have seen with prongs/an edge view insert. Has anyone else seen a DGS slab with prongs?

• Options

It is the PCI shell. They bought it, opened the grading company using the new name, closed the grading company, and sold off the IP.

April 2008 - August 5, 2010

https://web.archive.org/web/20100811073749/http://dominiongrading.com/

The AuthentiVIEW™: https://web.archive.org/web/20090313025500/http://www.dominiongrading.com/authentiview.cfm

USPTO Trademark database shows it was filed on April 3, 2008 and it was on their website from the beginning

Virginia business search https://cis.scc.virginia.gov/EntitySearch/BusinessInformation?businessId=500657

-----Burton
  • Options

Da Bomb - it's all here - bogus grading "company", imaginary grade, it's a sample slab, it's a German Drug Store token, DIY case, it has social media references, it's unique, the label is "all messed up", what is not to LOVE????

-----Burton
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Da Bomb - it's all here - bogus grading "company", imaginary grade, it's a sample slab, it's a German Drug Store token, DIY case, it has social media references, it's unique, the label is "all messed up", what is not to LOVE????

You forgot a few points:
    ~the inner ring being reused from a PCGS holder
    ~being from a limited run of 8 samples (the other 7 were numbered but not this one)

• Options

Wow - now that IS crazy! :+1:

Set up at the PNNA show in Tukwilla with Bochiman - most of the interesting holders are in my case! :D

I'm always amazed at the depth and breadth of what is posted here - thanks for that! I have a hard enough time just keeping up with PCGS plastic........

• Options
    edited April 28, 2023 10:15PM

I added a couple of new pieces to my slab collection. I'm not sure how rare they are, but they are different.

The first is a PCGS sample slab. At first glance it looks pretty run of the mill, but look at the cert number. I haven't seen an all zero cert number since the original rattler samples.

The second is an old ANACS small white "soap bar" slab. It may seem relatively common as well. I believe @86Saab would classify it as a Gen. P6.6. However, the P6.6 is for problem coins. This is the only ANACS slab I have seen using this label with a straight graded coin.

I am curious if @86Saab or @BStrauss3 have seen any other straight graded coins with this particular label.

Edited for typo.

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd, I've only seen straight graded with the bison detached leg, I have one as well. I can only guess why. I've also seen problem free examples in these holders as samples as well but none with grades, both were Jeff nickels as well.
    Here's my two

• Options

@UpGrayedd @86Saab

Those sections of the ANACS database are a bit of a mess.

From my scrapes...

This is one of the largest known sample slab editions:

My spreadsheet isn't working properly, but the detached legs run from 70042910 to 70043041 or 132 pieces.

But the coins on either side are ordinary customer submissions

-----Burton
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 1:08PM

The rim nicks are hard to see. Plus the coin barely looks cleaned. Oh I can see the cleaning in the center of the obverse.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I was finally able to purchase my first PCGS Regency slab. It is one of the Danny Kaye coins (coin # 23). It came with the box, but unfortunately did not include the green bag.

I don't know if I got a good deal or not (I know the Danny Kaye coins are seen as less desirable by some), but I am pleased with my purchase because I didn't think I would ever find a Regency slab in my price range.

That would have been a big hit if the PCGS regency holder had an aqua color instead of the forest green color.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@0ronron said:

Just a few I have acquired..

Anybody know anything about the black slab on the right? I just saw a couple of those slabs at the local Jewelry store down the street. They also had a few AACGS slabs, but I’ve seen those before. I never saw that black one before. What’s the slabbing companies name? Here’s some pictures of some of the ones I just saw

Mr_Spud

• Options

PCS ... Postal Commemorative Society

https://www.pcscoins.com/About-Us.html

-----Burton
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    PCS ... Postal Commemorative Society

https://www.pcscoins.com/About-Us.html

Thanks!

Mr_Spud

• Options

A new seller on fleaBay posted a dozen or so of the PCI hand-signed signature series coins, signed by Charles Daughtrey.

Unfortunately, they showed the entire slab, and all listings were removed. The reposts don't show the entire label until you get to the last picture. I did look at most of these listings this morning and the signature was clearly ink pen and all over locations on the label (hallmarks of the hand-signed, vs. the reproduction signature).

If you look at @UpGrayedd up thread, the red ink also shows clear signs of being an original signature, although the photo could be better to cinch it. The purple JT Stanton are all identical, which is a sign of a reproduction signature.

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    A new seller on fleaBay posted a dozen or so of the PCI hand-signed signature series coins, signed by Charles Daughtrey.

Unfortunately, they showed the entire slab, and all listings were removed. The reposts don't show the entire label until you get to the last picture. I did look at most of these listings this morning and the signature was clearly ink pen and all over locations on the label (hallmarks of the hand-signed, vs. the reproduction signature).

If you look at @UpGrayedd up thread, the red ink also shows clear signs of being an original signature, although the photo could be better to cinch it. The purple JT Stanton are all identical, which is a sign of a reproduction signature.

I saw those last night and actually purchased a few with a best offer before ebay nuked the listings. I understand ebay's policy about approved TPGs, but I don't understand their selective enforcement. There are multiple "garbage" PCI slabs listed showing grades that never seem to get removed, while the one's in question should at least be close to accurate and do have some value even if it is only to us slab collectors.

• Options

Jay walking is illegal. You only.get cited when the cop is already giving you the stink-eye for some other reason..

Remember, these are artifical stupids. Can't tell the difference betweek OK early PCI and the gold box days. Let alone the out and out fraudulent days. So ban it all.

-----Burton
  • Options

It will be VERY interesting to see what this ends at - nearly 24 days to go!

• Options

BTW, I'm not bidding - Barber coins are my least favorite series ......

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOAH!

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

My photography skills are lacking, but here are the PCI Signature Series slabs I recently obtained.

• Options

At long last... PCGS-001-9-3

In "the book" (Sample Slabs, 2015), David Schwager said:

Some coin collectors believe these to be uncommon when first seeing them. This could be because they were marketed to non-collectors instead of given away to collectors and dealers. Kiefer relates, "This slab was once thought to be scarce. It might still be semi scarce if no one saved them, but recently I found out from David Hall who told me 'These were an item in a Random House marketed Scott Travers "Coin collecting starter kit." I believe we did either 50,000 or 100,000 of them.'” See the next page for a photo of the kit.
    If 50,000 were made, these are by far the most common samples ever produced. They do not have bar codes, serial numbers, or holograms.
    This type was made to familiarize potential customers with PCGS products, which qualifies it as a sample.
    At least one sample collector built a complete set.

David was aware of 1918-1929 (except for 1921 and 1922).

I have been following these for over 8 years on eBay, and the 11th coin in the set, 1917, shows up occasionally (less common than the 1920s dates).

After the 2016 2nd edition was released I saw a single 1916 dated coin. I lost out on the auction and have - until now - never seen another one. It's been the thorn in my side for all these years... Trust me on this one, if you can't sleep and want something to doom-scroll other than Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit, eBay auctions for Lincoln cents, PCGS certified without numeric grades, could do it for you (https://www.ebay.com/b/Ungraded-PCGS-Certified-Lincoln-Wheat-US-Small-Cents-1909-1958/39455/bn_26621279)

Anyway

I present #12:

For anyone looking to follow me down the rabbit hole,

• There is always a copy of the full kit (I've seen one).
    • There are a small # of "error" versions where the coin is placed backwards in the holder (wheat side front).
    • There are PCGS Luncheon slabs for 1914 (PCGS-001-9-1, PCGS-001-9-2).
    • There are a boat-load of 1909 VDB cents just graded "Genuine" - these are actually production slabs for one of the TV type sellers (bulk rate w/o individual grading is cheaper).
    • There are the very rare PCGS-001-3-1 blank slabs (1959-1981), with less than 20 known.

-----Burton
  • Options

Oh, and BTW, the error on those is VERY subtle. In normal PCGS slabs of that era, the moulded-in logo and stacking lugs are on the OBVERSE of the slab. In the error slabs they are on the back.

So when I said "Wheat out" I was talking about if you stack your collection...

-----Burton
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

When there’s nothing you want but you just have to buy something…

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

I find it super annoying when there is ONE thing in that lot that you want, and now what do you do with the leftovers?

I've been lucky to now as the TNA show takes donations for the annual youth auction. I just keep a box going.

-----Burton
  • Options

Not my coin, but this CACG sample slab is currently listed for sale on ebay.

It will be interesting to see if it sells for the asking price or something less. $650 is a little steep IMHO, but a VaultBox sample sold for $600 on ebay, and CAC certainly has more cachet in the marketplace so who knows. I'll also be interested to see how many of these surface.

• Options

Yep, I saw it too... I also saw the unboxing video of one of the CACG founders about a day before that popped on fleaBay. The bar code scans - all the visible information except the 8 with a 099 added. ITF.

It verifies in their database:

-----Burton
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    Not my coin, but this CACG sample slab is currently listed for sale on ebay.

It will be interesting to see if it sells for the asking price or something less. $650 is a little steep IMHO, but a VaultBox sample sold for $600 on ebay, and CAC certainly has more cachet in the marketplace so who knows. I'll also be interested to see how many of these surface.

Does anyone know how many sample slabs they produced? Could be one of a hundred or one of 10,000.

Tim

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this in Feb, 2005 on ebay for $265. It also came with a red velvet cover.

And here is the cent that was in it.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    I bought this in Feb, 2005 on ebay for $265. It also came with a red velvet cover.

The holder and the cover were sold by Capital Plastics separately from the ANA certification.

Type 3 with (extra cost) grade.

https://www.oldslabholders.com/post/anacs_slab_generations

-----Burton
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@WaterSport said:

The holder and the cover were sold by Capital Plastics separately from the ANA certification.

Type 3 with (extra cost) grade.

https://www.oldslabholders.com/post/anacs_slab_generations

Thanks Burton for always being the endless fountain of knowledge on all things slab related. I really appreciate it.

Tim

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@Coinscratch said:

I find it super annoying when there is ONE thing in that lot that you want, and now what do you do with the leftovers?

I've been lucky to now as the TNA show takes donations for the annual youth auction. I just keep a box going.

Is this info readily available on their website? I would like to donate as well.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Is this info readily available on their website? I would like to donate as well.

Unfortunately, no, their website is kind of 1990s sparse.

It's also not clear what will be happening with the annual show. The site in Arlington is closing - it will become the new art museum campus, which they discovered the week before the show.

There is a scramble for next year, the board voted for Conroe, which is not a decision anyone seems happy with.

It's not clear what happens.

The new site is smaller, but there is also a cadre of volunteers out of the four large area coin clubs that have been built up over the last 10-12 years. People to do setup/teardown. People to run the youth auction. People to sit at the admissions desk. Raffle.

I am not saying the Houston Area clubs can't step up. They're good people and put on their own shows each year. Just that it takes time. And while a year seems a long time, the prep takes more time than you might think too. The volunteer coordinator was getting signups back in April.

I personally can't see driving 5 hours and spending money on hotels and meals that I could spend on coins...

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@Coinscratch said:

Unfortunately, no, their website is kind of 1990s sparse.

It's also not clear what will be happening with the annual show. The site in Arlington is closing - it will become the new art museum campus, which they discovered the week before the show.

There is a scramble for next year, the board voted for Conroe, which is not a decision anyone seems happy with.

It's not clear what happens.

The new site is smaller, but there is also a cadre of volunteers out of the four large area coin clubs that have been built up over the last 10-12 years. People to do setup/teardown. People to run the youth auction. People to sit at the admissions desk. Raffle.

I am not saying the Houston Area clubs can't step up. They're good people and put on their own shows each year. Just that it takes time. And while a year seems a long time, the prep takes more time than you might think too. The volunteer coordinator was getting signups back in April.

I personally can't see driving 5 hours and spending money on hotels and meals that I could spend on coins...

Thanks! I'll have to do a little research now as I'm about 10 minutes from Conroe. That would be awesome to finally go to a show. I'm so freaking busy at work and home that by the time I find out about a Houston show I've already missed it.
    Happened at least twice that I'm even aware of :D

• Options

@BStrauss3
    The website talks about a program called Coins for A's which I believe is the place for donating coins and such.
    The contact for this program also has a PO Box in the Woodlands (where I live) which may have something to do with the move.

• Options
    -----Burton
  • Options

I was stunned at $65k, now flabbergasted ........ 14 days to go.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I added a couple of new pieces to my slab collection. I'm not sure how rare they are, but they are different.

The first is a PCGS sample slab. At first glance it looks pretty run of the mill, but look at the cert number. I haven't seen an all zero cert number since the original rattler samples.

The second is an old ANACS small white "soap bar" slab. It may seem relatively common as well. I believe @86Saab would classify it as a Gen. P6.6. However, the P6.6 is for problem coins. This is the only ANACS slab I have seen using this label with a straight graded coin.

I am curious if @86Saab or @BStrauss3 have seen any other straight graded coins with this particular label.

Edited for typo.

You should see if the NIFC tag works. ;)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file