Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rare plastic for the weekend - any service, samples - what have you got????

Comments

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted extensively on DCGS here: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-holder-premium-thread.308429/page-69#post-3123075 even if it is ATS.

If you go back a page you will see that Denis has posted this before :-)

Between the two, we have two different production labels and two different websites.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    It is getting increasingly more difficult to locate Ike dollar in no-line fatty NGC slabs.

amazing toning, I wonder if it was like that when slabbed or if the NGC slab helped. I wonder if that is an old Teletrade sticker? It is a shame their computer sales history disappeared with their upgrade and transfer to Stacks Bowers.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baylor8670 said:

@Lakesammman said:
    Post your rare TPG plastic here - would love to see PCGS, NGC, Compugrade, Hallmark, Samples, etc. :+1:

I'll start with a Compugrade Saint.

Is it just me or did Compugrade seriously undergrade your Saint?

You think a computer made a mistake? 😝

1. It wasn't a computer. They never really made the computer grading work and the coins were manually graded.

2. The grading of the time was very technical ... read the ANA standards. That's why a computer was believed to be feasible: identify all the marks, apply a factor based on the location of each mark, sum it all up and compute the grade.

The patent shows a Peace dollar obverse broken up into nearly 100 segments, each of which would have had a unique factor. A 1mm ding right in front of her nose - in the field for everyone to see - would have a larger impact than a 1mm ding in the hair behind the ear.

-----Burton
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baylor8670 - I think it is, but they say ownership is worth a point ....... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Apologies in advance for the screen grabs but I won't receive the coins until Monday. Ben (The Coin Geek) recently posted a video of three Lee Numismatics flips on YouTube. These flips are from the 1980's and the coins were confirmed by John Albanese to be sourced from him, hence the JA on each flip. I thought this was cool provenance so I purchased all three. The coins were in Kointain holders inside the flips:

Is anyone familiar with Lee Numismatics? There is very little information on the internet about them other than they were a very reputable dealer back in the day.

Here is the link to Ben's YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQGfuBmNb2Q

I'll post more pictures when I have them in hand.

Tim

Nice pick ups. I love Ben's videos. Does anyone else know of other channels like his that are focused primarily on coin grading?

Baddoggs - the obverse looks a little rough - where has it been stored all these years??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

FYI - two relatively ordinary Compugrade Morgans were posted on fleaBay for $995 BIN... if they sell, that would be a significant jump in price.

-----Burton

I found an ANICS PhotoCert (the yellow one that says "This is not an ANACS coin") Onza at OKC Coin Club/ONA this morning. I'll have to drop a pix later. It's the first nonUS I've seen.

-----Burton

Well, new to me - congrats!

• baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 8:18PM

^^^^ > @Lakesammman said:

Baddoggs - the obverse looks a little rough - where has it been stored all these years??

@Lakesammman It's been in a Intercept Shield 20 slab box, in a what I consider to be a safe environment.

Took the photo the day I posted to this thread and I thought the same thing.
    I got it at the luncheon.

I'm thinking that's how it was when it got slabbed, with some sort of crud.
    Fourteen years later boom, a real stinker. The reverse doesn't have the same look.

Here's another PCGS luncheon slab from 2010, stored in the same box.
    Just took the pics ...

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost got one of these rare Gen 4.2 Sample Slabs

Someone else wanted it more than I did...realized $306.01on ebay.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

That's a scarce style - was watching it with interest!

Yep,but $300 feels crazy, I left the bidding at $82.

-----Burton
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like this one started the 4th line early and repeated itself.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday all - picked this up yesterday. Anybody seen these flips before?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim: Interesting - doesn't even look sealed, just has a piece of tape over the gap.

I would guess late 70s.

Bowers and Ruddy Galeries started in 1974 - https://stacksbowers.com/did-you-know-50-years-ago-bowers-and-ruddy-presented-their-first-public-auction/

WATS = Wide-Area Telephony System. At first, it was an outbound flat-rate calling program.

In-WATS (where a customer could call you) began in 1967. A California-based In-WATS service was not reachable from California! "Advanced 800 Service" dates to the early 80s.

There is a Wikipedia article that summarizes a little bit of the complexity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Area_Telephone_Service

In the 70s you often saw adverts listing two numbers, perhaps an intrastate CA number and an Interstate number. A company could set up two call centers, each serving half the country (the call cost was based on distance with the USA divided into six bands).

You could also set up a single call center with two lines terminating in adjacent states and then use very expensive Bell services to port the calls across the state line. Schemes like that allowed you to offer free calls to all of your customers.

I'm guessing late 70s because the terms WATS and knowing to call the Los Angeles number from California would be commonplace, but the expectation of a toll-free in-state call wasn't established.

-----Burton

Glad this one didn't sell for my minimum last weekend - plan to hang on to it - rare! Lincoln Memorial cent, 1996, in a much later holder.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog said:
    I don't think I've seen this one before. T. J. Holt Company slab. It has dot matrix printing, no bar code, and no serial number.

....and no grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

Here is a 1974 Bowers & Ruddy auction flip that I picked up last year.

@JeffersonFrog said:
    I don't think I've seen this one before. T. J. Holt Company slab. It has dot matrix printing, no bar code, and no serial number. The hard plastic slab is as rigid as can be, with no flex at all. The slab itself is pristine too. A curiosity purchase I like.
    Bottom row, 3rd from the left of @pointfivezero's picture looks similar, but mine does not have a serial number.

That's the same physical slab that WMP (FPG) used. It was probably a service sold to dealers vs. a real TPG.

-----Burton

Spotted at the Reno coin show over the weekend:

Tim

Tim, I believe the partnership is still active, although it doesn't get a lot of press...

https://www.osv.expert/index.aspx

-----Burton

Thanks Burton! Interesting partnership. Lawrence Goldberg was the dealer with these sets at the show. The sets he had were very pricey but he will search for a common date set for me. If I get my hands on one, I will post better pictures here.

Tim

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2024 7:43AM

A new find.

I never had a $20 Saint encapsulated in a PCGS 1.1 white label slab before. I have had a couple of other coins slabbed in a PCGS 1.0 and 1.1 slab, But I never even saw a Saint in such a holder before. How many of these exist?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

It verifies in the database: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/1082297

If you were bored, you could poke, but it only tells you what was ONCE UPON A TIME certified. 1082293 - 1082300 were all 1924 MS63 Saints.

1082289, 1082291 and 1082301 don't verify.

1082290 was a 1926 in MS62.
    1082288 was a 1925 in MS63.

So that's at least 10 :smile:

-----Burton
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2024 9:31AM

@BStrauss3 said:
    It verifies in the database: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/1082297

If you were bored, you could poke, but it only tells you what was ONCE UPON A TIME certified. 1082293 - 1082300 were all 1924 MS63 Saints.

1082289, 1082291 and 1082301 don't verify.

1082290 was a 1926 in MS62.
    1082288 was a 1925 in MS63.

So that's at least 10 :smile:

All 10 still exist or were cracked out in prior years?

By the way, @jfriedm56 1927 Saint in ANA slab is very pretty and I happen to enjoy owning a couple of them as well.

But i have to stop buying these Saints as I just realized I have way too many 1908 1924 1927 and 1928 Saints!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file