Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official 2023 NFL Regular Season Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Final score: Refs 21 - Detroit 20

Brutal ending. Decker walked over to the ref, reported as eligible, and the ref then went and told Dallas a different guy reported. Then the ref after the game described the penalty by recounting a conversation that never happened. Yes, there's video of Decker reporting.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another confusing rules result, I spotted it after I watched the replay. The ball started at the 2-yard line, backed up to the 7-yard line after that penalty and then ended at the 3.5-yard line after the Dallas penalty.

So each team commits a 5-yard penalty but because of that stupid "half the distance" rule the Lions actually lost distance from equal penalties. Along with that equally stupid fumble by the offense out of the endzone penalty the NFL seems to have some rules to look at. There needs to be some way for lineman reporting to avoid any confusion, that just should never happen, especially at the most crucial point of a game.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Another confusing rules result, I spotted it after I watched the replay. The ball started at the 2-yard line, backed up to the 7-yard line after that penalty and then ended at the 3.5-yard line after the Dallas penalty.

So each team commits a 5-yard penalty but because of that stupid "half the distance" rule the Lions actually lost distance from equal penalties. Along with that equally stupid fumble by the offense out of the endzone penalty the NFL seems to have some rules to look at. There needs to be some way for lineman reporting to avoid any confusion, that just should never happen, especially at the most crucial point of a game.

Bad look for the NFL on that 2 pt conversation

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

The script is set. Ravens win, Bills win setting up the biggest game of the year next week.
    Dolphins-Bills AFC east title, #2 seed.
    Huge viewing audience, Huge TV rating. Huge commercial money. Mega gambling money. Talking heads all week long previewing this game with NFL fans tuning in. NFL in 7th heaven.
    There is no way this plays out any differently.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still wonder if some refs have anonymous accounts on DraftKings, etc.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh it's getting real ugly in Miami!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Now that the Ravens have soundly beaten the 49ers on the road and put a beat-down on the Dolphins at home, does everyone still think that San Francisco is the team to beat for a Super Bowl win. Along with that, after watching what Lamar Jackson did last week and now this week, are there still doubters that he's the best QB in the NFL??

Any reservation I had concerning both points has vanished. I think the only thing that can stop Baltimore is their Head Coach.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    The script is set. Ravens win, Bills win setting up the biggest game of the year next week.
    Huge viewing audience, Huge TV rating. Huge commercial money. Mega gambling money. Talking heads all week long previewing this game with NFL fans tuning in. NFL in 7th heaven.

I don’t call my Swami for no reason 😂😂
    Just kidding

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Shocker? Arizona upsets Philly in Philadelphia. I think the cheese on the Philly cheese sandwich is moldy. Wow

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

Bills will beat Miami next week. I cant wait.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Now that the Ravens have soundly beaten the 49ers on the road and put a beat-down on the Dolphins at home, does everyone still think that San Francisco is the team to beat for a Super Bowl win. Along with that, after watching what Lamar Jackson did last week and now this week, are there still doubters that he's the best QB in the NFL??

Any reservation I had concerning both points has vanished. I think the only thing that can stop Baltimore is their Head Coach.

I cant think of a QB I would rather have going into the playoffs.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamar was on a different level today

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carolina's owner caught on video today tossing his drink on Jags fans. Looks like someone isn;t too happy that he he's about to land the 1st overall pick and then have to give it away because of a previous trade.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Carolina's owner caught on video today tossing his drink on Jags fans. Looks like someone isn;t too happy that he he's about to land the 1st overall pick and then have to give it away because of a previous trade.

All for Bryce Young and all the questions around whether he is too small for the NFL ect.. he should have poured the drink over his own head for being so stupid

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 10:58PM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

All for Bryce Young and all the questions around whether he is too small for the NFL ect.. he should have poured the drink over his own head for being so stupid

Youngs not an issue, the fact they traded away the franchise including their best WR to do it is. They overpaid to move up for Young, you could put any name there and that trade was an over pay with all the draft picks and their best WR to move up a couple spots.

He has a reputation of doing things to put people in their place from reports. That fan was probably being obnoxious but you absolutely cant do that as an owner and that fan will get a pay day from it. He has owned the Panthers since 2018 and founded the Charlotte MLS team in 2019. Hes fired 5 head coaches between the two during that time frame.

• Options

Remember the video of him in training camp that we all thought was photoshopped? He looked like a 12 year old? Well now the owner does.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Final score: Refs 21 - Detroit > @craig44 said:

@2dueces said:

Bills will beat Miami next week. I cant wait.

With my recent luck, not if I bet them. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Maywood said:

Baltimore looks great. They've played three 11-win teams. They're 3-0 in those games - with an average margin of victory of FOUR TOUCHDOWNS. Hard to argue with those results.

• Options

The Ravens are the best at this point. I still need to see them in a close game without their best stuff and Lamar drive them for the winning TD. The way he’s playing this year I can absolutely see it. He’s never had anywhere close to the receivers he has this year. They are the team to beat 1/1/2024

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Sellers picture
    Just cause Rosen was on it it was still available at 2018 prices.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    The Ravens are the best at this point. I still need to see them in a close game without their best stuff and Lamar drive them for the winning TD. The way he’s playing this year I can absolutely see it. He’s never had anywhere close to the receivers he has this year. They are the team to beat 1/1/2024

I agree, the ravens are the best right now. they kind of snuck up on me this year. lamar is such a weapon

• Options

@Tabe said: Baltimore looks great. They've played three 11-win teams. They're 3-0 in those games - with an average margin of victory of FOUR TOUCHDOWNS. Hard to argue with those results.

Actually, the Ravens have played 5 games against teams who have now won 11 games because they played the Browns twice and lost the second time. That makes them 4-1 and gives fans something to think about if the two teams meet a 3rd time to settle things. That game, if it were to happen, would be the Baltimore home-coming for Joe Flacco and might be an instant classic between two rugged defenses and Head Coaches who know the other team pretty well.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 7:21AM

@2dueces said: I still need to see them in a close game without their best stuff and Lamar drive them for the winning TD.

If you would have been watching week 9 on November 12th you might have seen that, when Cleveland came back in the 4th quarter, down 31-17, to beat Baltimore 33-31. That comeback was led by the oft-maligned Deshaun Watson. With the Ravens scoring a TD at 11:30 of the 4th quarter, Watson led the Browns to a TD, the defense pick-six'd Lamar Jackson. stuffed him and the Ravens on their next possession and then marched to the winning FG. They did everything with running and passing in Baltimore.

I agree, the Ravens are the best team right now and the one to beat, but they are beatable just like everyone else. They might be at their most vulnerable on week two of the playoffs when they've been sitting for a couple weeks. Viewed from that perspective, a Bills fan might consider that a loss next week to Miami isn't really a bad thing if it happens because it might mean playing Baltimore in that week two game after a WildCard round victory. The inevitable playoff run for the Bills means they'll eventually have to play on the road with the Ravens in the AFC Championship if they get that far, maybe it's better to play them earlier and have a better shot.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @2dueces said: ** I still need to see them in a close game without their best stuff and Lamar drive them for the winning TD**.

If you would have been watching week 9 on November 12th you might have seen that, when Cleveland came back in the 4th quarter, down 31-17, to beat Baltimore 33-31. That comeback was led by the oft-maligned Deshaun Watson. With the Ravens scoring a TD at 11:30 of the 4th quarter, Watson led the Browns to a TD, the defense pick-six'd Lamar Jackson. stuffed him and the Ravens on their next possession and then marched to the winning FG. They did everything with running and passing in Baltimore.

I agree, the Ravens are the best team right now and the one to beat, but they are beatable just like everyone else. They might be at their most vulnerable on week two of the playoffs when they've been sitting for a couple weeks. Viewed from that perspective, a Bills fan might consider that a loss next week to Miami isn't really a bad thing if it happens because it might mean playing Baltimore in that week two game after a WildCard round victory. The inevitable playoff run for the Bills means they'll eventually have to play on the road with the Ravens in the AFC Championship if they get that far, maybe it's better to play them earlier and have a better shot.

I said in an earlier post that Watson (5-1) was playing well and don’t understand all the criticism. Everyone was saying no one wanted to play buffalo in the playoffs, well I think that team is Cleveland. Somewhere in this thread about week 3-4 I said Cleveland is going to be very good.
    Buffalos only chance for the playoffs is a win Sunday. If Cleveland faces down Baltimore and it’s possible the Browns could come to Buffalo for the AFC title.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I was talking with a few friends yesterday about the way we as fans grump about the schedule every spring when it's released, but right now we're all thinking what geniuses they are in the NFL office to come up with the one we'll end with next Sunday. There are still five spots that need to be filled and some unlikely scenarios that could fill them.

One guy was talking about his team from several years ago that needed a silly combination of maybe 3-4 teams losing and another game ending in a tie for them to make it. He said all the right teams lost and he switched over to the final game and it went into overtime before someone won!! That's close to a miracle finish. This season presents something similar with the very last game to be played --- depending on the outcomes of several games and the result of the Miami game the Bills can move from their current 6th spot to either 2nd or out of the playoffs all together.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latest QB stats one week to go:

ESPN pundits today have L Jackson over Purdy for NFL 1rst team qb. I disagree, stats show Purdy has been the best qb all season, and, in only his first full season of playing. Jackson has been in the league for 6 years. He has improved is his passing game but sorry the edge goes to Purdy. Sure head to head, Jackson outplayed Purdy, but the Niner front line was porous that game, Purdy had 4 ints, but 3 of them were not really his fault, passes going through the hands of his receivers, deflected at the line because his lineman did not do their job, etc. If they meet again in the SB, I will be curious to see if it stays that way - the Niners should have their best O-line players healthy (hopefully), and they should make the adjustments after seeing the Ravens for the first time since 2019 when Garappolo was qb. Ravens will make adjustments too seeing the Niners for the first time as well. So if they play, we will see who the better qb is for that game. But I would still take Purdy over Jackson over the next 10 years. I have never liked running qb's and they seem to wear down quicker over time as they take more hits (Newton example), so Jackson IMO will likely follow that trend and this may be his last best season in the NFL.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

PS - And last year during the NFL draft, there was a debate for who should be #1, Stroud or Young. I wanted Young to be #1 because I wanted the Tejanos to get Stroud, I noted that short qb's are likely as not to be elite qb's in the NFL, and that gave Stoud the edge. Seems that the Tejanos likely did get the better of the 2 and I am glad how it worked out...... Only time will tell over the next decade............................ This year, only Zack Wilson appears to be worse than Young LOL.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2024 9:00AM

Referencing stats isn't really good, but let's do that. Below are Lamar Jackson's NFL passing stats so you can compare him to whoever you want to. He has been unjustly criticized his entire career for I don't know what reasons, maybe just because fans don't like him, but he has been solid.

• Options

NFL Dream scenario
    AFC
    Jackson
    Allen
    Mahomes
    Lawrence
    Flacco <— great story
    Tua
    Shroud

NFC
    Purdy
    Prescott
    Goff
    Mayfield <— great story
    Hurt
    Stafford
    Love

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Maywood said:
    Referencing stats isn't really good, but let's do that. Below are Lamar Jackson's NFL passing stats so you can compare him to whoever you want to. He has been unjustly criticized his entire career for I don't know what reasons, maybe just because fans don't like him, but he has been solid.

He doesn't have big passing stats, that's why he never gets accolades for his throwing.

I'm not giving you a hard time here but look at those stats you posted and compare them to Mahomes, Brady, and other top tier QBs and your search for the reasoning behind your question is right there lol

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 2:53PM

@perkdog, the stats below are all from the same site. All that Lamar Jackson can be assessed on is what he's done, the fact that he doesn't throw as often as other QB's doesn't affect his "averages" based on what he's done. I think that's a fair comparison. If he threw as often as the other QB's in the league I don't see any reason to expect that his numbers would differ very much by percentage, the totals would just be higher.

I'm not making a case that Lamar Jackson is as good as these two or any other we could compare, although his numbers tend to show he is, my point is just that he hasn't really been judged fairly.

Interestingly if he wins the MVP as he probably will this season he'll be tied at two with Mahomes and one behind Brady. That would be two each for Mahomes/Jackson in their first six seasons while Tom Brady didn't win his first until his 7th season. Again, I only make the comparison to show how under rated Jackson is.

Mahomes

Brady

Jackson

• Options

Exactly. Lamars value is that he can pass and run and running is a big part of his game. He is a better passer than you often see from guys that run a lot but if you take away the running threat his game changes drastically. The running ability opens up his ability to pass as well.

As a total package hes a top QB, if he were to stop running its unlikely that he would be considered an elite QB still.

• Options

He doesn't run as much as people think he does, it's just that when he does he is better than all other QB's. When he has time to throw, Harbaugh rarely uses the QB draw or roll-out runs. In short, Jackson doesn't run to run, he'll choose to throw the ball and do it effectively, but if he needs to run he will. Looking at this season he's been without his favorite target, Mark Andrews, since a week 11 ankle injury. Fortunately, Zay Flowers has proved to be a very good receiver and fine draft pick for Baltimore.

• Options

I think it is possible we are seeing Lamar blossoming into a better throwing QB this season. It sure seems he will be winning the MVP this year. his team also seems to be peaking right now. Lets just say that he does win his 2nd MVP this year and also goes on to win the SB. He would be just a hair behind Mahomes as the QB of this generation (at least at this point) what would it take for him to leapfrog Patty? A couple more seasons of regression from Mahomes and a couple more seasons of improvement from Lamar? I know that the future looks brighter in Baltimore than it does in KC.

an interesting question.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 4:40PM

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, the stats below are all from the same site. All that Lamar Jackson can be assessed on is what he's done, the fact that he doesn't throw as often as other QB's doesn't affect his "averages" based on what he's done. I think that's a fair comparison. If he threw as often as the other QB's in the league I don't see any reason to expect that his numbers would differ very much by percentage, the totals would just be higher.

I'm not making a case that Lamar Jackson is as good as these two or any other we could compare, although his numbers tend to show he is, my point is just that he hasn't really been judged fairly.

Interestingly if he wins the MVP as he probably will this season he'll be tied at two with Mahomes and one behind Brady. That would be two each for Mahomes/Jackson in their first six seasons while Tom Brady didn't win his first until his 7th season. Again, I only make the comparison to show how under rated Jackson is.

Mahomes

Brady

Jackson

I respect Lamar Jacksons game,

And I understand where your coming from, I just posted the obvious as to why nobody mentions him with top tier passer's, right wrong or indifferent

• Options

@Maywood said:

We agree to disagree, I think stats are important, Jackson has had some great years, but 1. I don't like running QB's as they end up hurt and degrade quicker than non-running QB's, and 2. statistically, despite Purdy being in his first full year of playing, he is a touch better in QBR, QB rating this year, which means overall better by a touch, than Jackson with 6 times the amount of experience. So I don't think Jackson beats Purdy. If Purdy's trajectory is to get better over the long term, then by his 6th year he should be even better on the stat page than Jackson on the stat page this year...........

And given that Jackson is going to wear down quicker IMO by taking the hits, this might be his apex year. We will see.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    He doesn't run as much as people think he does, it's just that when he does he is better than all other QB's. When he has time to throw, Harbaugh rarely uses the QB draw or roll-out runs. In short, Jackson doesn't run to run, he'll choose to throw the ball and do it effectively, but if he needs to run he will. Looking at this season he's been without his favorite target, Mark Andrews, since a week 11 ankle injury. Fortunately, Zay Flowers has proved to be a very good receiver and fine draft pick for Baltimore.

Used to be the 1,000 yard rushing season was the gold standard for a running back. As a QB, Jackson has hit that standard 2x, and come close the past 3 seasons. I am thinking he runs way too much and takes alot of hits for it. Burn out is coming IMO.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    @Tabe said: Baltimore looks great. They've played three 11-win teams. They're 3-0 in those games - with an average margin of victory of FOUR TOUCHDOWNS. Hard to argue with those results.

Actually, the Ravens have played 5 games against teams who have now won 11 games because they played the Browns twice and lost the second time. That makes them 4-1 and gives fans something to think about if the two teams meet a 3rd time to settle things. That game, if it were to happen, would be the Baltimore home-coming for Joe Flacco and might be an instant classic between two rugged defenses and Head Coaches who know the other team pretty well.

Thank you. I was thinking Cleveland had 10 wins for some reason.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    Referencing stats isn't really good, but let's do that. Below are Lamar Jackson's NFL passing stats so you can compare him to whoever you want to. He has been unjustly criticized his entire career for I don't know what reasons, maybe just because fans don't like him, but he has been solid.p

It's not unjust. Over his career, he's been relatively inaccurate as a passer. He's a career 64% completion guy. That's the league average this year in this season of backups and bad play.

• Options

@Tabe said: Over his career, he's been relatively inaccurate as a passer

Mahomes, the gold standard --- 66.5%
    Jackson, inaccurate as a passer --- 64.5%

I don't want to push this to the point where it seems I'm arguing so I'll say this and let it go: Mahomes and Jackson came into the NFL at about the same time, they both really became starters in 2018 although Mahomes has played in more games than Jackson. Their completion percentage is 2 points apart, so that means if each throws 100 passes that Mahomes will complete 2 more than Jackson. But I digress.

• Options

Completion percentage needs to be taken with a grain of salt as long as its not absurdly low. Play calling and drops play a big role in it.

• Options

If you start nitpicking completion percentages then you better start factoring in the weather too - kinda like "Home runs without steroids" - "Home runs with steroids" right?

• Options

Steroids dont make you hit a baseball, throwing 1 yard screens or short throws do increase your completion percentage. Dropping passes lowers it, attempting long throws lowers it, your line not being able to block lowers it, receivers that cant get separation lowers it. A low percentage isnt always the fault of the QB

• Options

"Steroids dont make you hit a baseball"

Yes, we all know that: BUT steroids make you hit it farther!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Steven59 said:

Brutal ending. Decker walked over to the ref, reported as eligible, and the ref then went and told Dallas a different guy reported. Then the ref after the game described the penalty by recounting a conversation that never happened. Yes, there's video of Decker reporting.

Why not a review, we all saw the report. ?

I'll never trust Dallas on the field of play.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 3:52AM

@emeraldATV said:

@Tabe said:

@Steven59 said:

Why not a review, we all saw the report. ?

I'll never trust Dallas on the field of play.

What good would a review do? The refs told Dallas the wrong guy reported. You can't just overturn that. So they undo the penalty and Detroit is still screwed.

• Options

The whole penalty thing seems pretty simple to me: the Ref made a mistake and can't admit it. The player wearing number 70 had reported as eligible during the game I believe 2 times prior, on the play in question the player wearing number 68 reported as eligible and the Ref simply made a mistake.

It happens, admitting the mistake is the hard part and the Ref won't/can't do that.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    The whole penalty thing seems pretty simple to me: the Ref made a mistake and can't admit it. The player wearing number 70 had reported as eligible during the game I believe 2 times prior, on the play in question the player wearing number 68 reported as eligible and the Ref simply made a mistake.

It happens, admitting the mistake is the hard part and the Ref won't/can't do that.

The NFL has doubled down. Their report blamed the Lions. And they released a video memo to "remind" teams how to handle reporting. The video is deceptively edited and uses footage of the Lions play to all but say the Lions did something wrong.

• Options

does anyone think Miami is going to beat Buffalo this weekend? I sure dont. I think Josh Allen is going to put the team on his back and will them to the AFC east crown!!!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    does anyone think Miami is going to beat Buffalo this weekend? I sure dont. I think Josh Allen is going to put the team on his back and will them to the AFC east crown!!!

I hope you’re correct. Miami is nursing some pretty significant injuries including a left shoulder injury to Tua. Just have to see who plays and how much. Miami is already in the playoffs and the #2 seed would be great but risking lingering injuries is risky

W.C.Fields