Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a PSU guy, so grain of salt and all… would like our chances with a full complement of players and had Manny stuck around, but no Chop and likely no Olu, along with likely limited reps from many other starters headed for the draft has me thinking Ole Miss pulls it out. I know, excuses excuses :)

GA FSU might be worse than last year’s title game. If I was a betting man, I’d take GA and gladly give the 21 pts.

Jim

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

Too funny, Big Ten POWER OSU got trounced by SEC minnow Missouri...lol. Remember when OSU was good enough to win a national championship with a 3rd string QB?

Sad how CoolStanley is so quick to point out how many players are missing from OSU but yet failed to mention the same thing when criticizing Kentucky/SEC for their bowl loss last season to Iowa? At some point, you would think he would realize he just makes a fool of himself when he is so blatantly partisan.

As I said before, the bowl season has lost most of its luster since the best players sit out due to not wanting to get injured before the NFL draft or transferring. Missouri's win was basically meaningless since OSU was missing their 2 top players. It used to be a somewhat reasonable measuring stick between conferences but outside the CFPs, I think those days are long gone. Fortunately, the expanded CFPs will allow for more of the top teams to compete when it truly matters.

That said, there is a 100% chance that CoolStanley will crow about any B10 victories over the SEC and excuse away every defeat. It is honestly weird that someone that pays attention to college football so much doesn't seem to understand how much better the SEC has been than the B10 for the last 15+ years. That doesn't mean that things won't change, OSU dominated Michigan from 2000-2020 only to then lose 3 in a row, so the same can happen with conferences.

Robb

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too funny, Big Ten POWER OSU got trounced by SEC minnow Missouri

I think every member who is a serious college football fan needs to admit that these games aren't the same as they used to be. And nobody really got trounced, that game was two teams that aren't the same as the teams which were awarded the Bowl Game back in November.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Too funny, Big Ten POWER OSU got trounced by SEC minnow Missouri

I think every member who is a serious college football fan needs to admit that these games aren't the same as they used to be. And nobody really got trounced, that game was two teams that aren't the same as the teams which were awarded the Bowl Game back in November.

No doubt. And OSU didnt get trounced. Missouri didnt score a single point until the 4th quarter lol. If OSU still had McCord and the Harrison, who will be either the #1 or #2 pick in the draft. would've won that game by 2 touchdowns.

But at the same time, its not the other teams fault that they didnt get to play against OSU's best. So congrats to them on the win.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Too funny, Big Ten POWER OSU got trounced by SEC minnow Missouri...lol. Remember when OSU was good enough to win a national championship with a 3rd string QB?

Cardale Jones wasn't a freshman.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 11:56AM

@burghman said:
    GA FSU might be worse than last year’s title game. If I was a betting man, I’d take GA and gladly give the 21 pts.

GA could win that game by 50 if they wanted too. Both sides have an insane amount of opt outs and GAs roster is much deeper. The problem is GA doesnt want to be playing this game anymore than FSU does. Neither team wants to be there and GA has a tendency to play down to their opponents when they dont want to be there

• Options

@fergie23 said:

Sad how CoolStanley is so quick to point out how many players are missing from OSU but yet failed to mention the same thing when criticizing Kentucky/SEC for their bowl loss last season to Iowa? At some point, you would think he would realize he just makes a fool of himself when he is so blatantly partisan.

As I said before, the bowl season has lost most of its luster since the best players sit out due to not wanting to get injured before the NFL draft or transferring. Missouri's win was basically meaningless since OSU was missing their 2 top players. It used to be a somewhat reasonable measuring stick between conferences but outside the CFPs, I think those days are long gone. Fortunately, the expanded CFPs will allow for more of the top teams to compete when it truly matters.

That said, there is a 100% chance that CoolStanley will crow about any B10 victories over the SEC and excuse away every defeat. It is honestly weird that someone that pays attention to college football so much doesn't seem to understand how much better the SEC has been than the B10 for the last 15+ years. That doesn't mean that things won't change, OSU dominated Michigan from 2000-2020 only to then lose 3 in a row, so the same can happen with conferences.

Robb

McCord was getting benched anyways when Day wouldnt commit to him being their bowl starter which is why he transferred to Syracuse. No one leaves the starting QB job at OSU for Syracuse unless theyve been told they lost their job. Harrison Jr was their only significant opt out. Even their other NFL guys Henderson and Ebuka played. Mizzou who he kept saying all year was a bad team simply man handled OSUs offensive line.

That was actually the first game with good teams where basically everyone played. Its still a massive win for Mizzou that will have been recruiting and transfer implications. Its unlikely they will be able to sustain this level every year but its big to prove that they can get there and could end up jumping in and out of the playoffs over time

• Options

He says basically everyone played LOL. Yeah for Missouri.

Ohio State has a total of 15 players in the transfer portal. And another 9 players including their best player on offense and their best player on defense(Tommy Eichenberg) who didnt play against Missouri. That's a total of 24 players.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go Maryland....I hope they beat aubarn 56-0..... :#

• Options

You would think an OSU superfan would know who actually plays

Opt-Outs:
    RB Miyan Williams (107 snaps)
    WR Marvin Harrison Jr. (649 snaps)

Transfer Portal:
    QB Kyle McCord (703 snaps)
    RB Chip Trayanum (252 snaps)
    RB Evan Pryor (31 snaps)
    WR Julian Fleming (552 snaps)
    C Vic Cutler (21 snaps)
    ED Omari Abor (29 snaps)
    CB Jyaire Brown (48 snaps)
    CB Ryan Turner (27 snaps)
    CB Cam Martinez (28 snaps)
    S Kye Stokes (10 snaps)

I'm sure those guys with 30 snaps made a huge difference not being there

• Options

Every team has a ton of guys in the transfer portal even the playoff teams. Georgia has close to 20. Its overwhelmingly guys that either didnt play, entered so they would get paid more to stay, or guys that know they are being replaced by either an incoming transfer or recruit. There is a mix of very good players from smaller programs trying to get to a bigger program and there are a lot of very good players in the portal. The two Texas A&M superstar linemen was highly unusual though

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Opt-Outs:

Transfer Portal:
    RB Evan Pryor (31 snaps)
    C Vic Cutler (21 snaps)
    ED Omari Abor (29 snaps)
    S Kye Stokes (10 snaps)

You're missing 10 players. But in a nutshell, Ohio State was missing their starting QB, two starting receivers, and three running backs on offense.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Man, this current bowl environment sucks. Lane putting on a clinic at how to attack a team’s weaknesses - 2 PSU starting corners opted out and the Ole Miss passing game is just like stealing candy from a baby. Maybe they’d have done it anyway, maybe not. But this isn’t the PSU D that played all year. Our offense, on the other hand? Yeah, that’s the EXACT offense we’ve played all year - invisible WRs, QB who can’t figure anything out, misuse of the RBs. Olu sitting out hasn’t hurt one bit.

With the way this team looks, we’re on the outside looking in at next year’s expanded playoff unless the new OC can either figure out Allar or just move on to Pribula.

Jim

• Options
    edited December 30, 2023 1:40PM

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Opt-Outs:

Transfer Portal:
    RB Evan Pryor (31 snaps)
    C Vic Cutler (21 snaps)
    ED Omari Abor (29 snaps)
    S Kye Stokes (10 snaps)

You're missing 10 players. But in a nutshell, Ohio State was missing their starting QB, two starting receivers, and three running backs on offense.

Again McCord was going to be benched which is why they transferred. Their starting RB played, they were missing guys that never saw the field. The WR that didnt play was their 3/4th. Ebuka played. Henderson played. OSU was missing VERY little. They got beat plain and simple by a team that you claimed was bad all year

Missouri was missing its 3 best defensive players due to injury and still dominated OSUs offense

• Options

@burghman said:
    Man, this current bowl environment sucks. Lane putting on a clinic at how to attack a team’s weaknesses - 2 PSU starting corners opted out and the Ole Miss passing game is just like stealing candy from a baby. Maybe they’d have done it anyway, maybe not. But this isn’t the PSU D that played all year. Our offense, on the other hand? Yeah, that’s the EXACT offense we’ve played all year - invisible WRs, QB who can’t figure anything out, misuse of the RBs. Olu sitting out hasn’t hurt one bit.

With the way this team looks, we’re on the outside looking in at next year’s expanded playoff unless the new OC can either figure out Allar or just move on to Pribula.

Ole Miss with lane has always had a good offense, their defense has generally been the issue. The opt outs arent fun goes kind of both ways with transfers in not being allowed to play which would have been a nightmare for PSUs offense.

Is it just me or does Franklin always look like hes given up on games in the middle of the 3rd quarter whenever he plays a ranked team?

PSU probably wins 10 games next year. USC, UCLA, Washington I wouldnt be overly worried about. Wisconsin and OSU will be issue for their schedule next year

• Options

Lot of fun watching Ole Miss, their offense is awesome....GO REBELS !!!

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orange bowl is totally a FSU home game, we'll see what happens

• Options

Georgia played their 3rd stringers most of the game and didnt really try and run up the score and won by 60. Leaving FSU out of the playoffs was the right call and Washington better be competitive or a new conversation starts

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Basebal21 said:

Opt-Outs:

Transfer Portal:
    RB Evan Pryor (31 snaps)
    C Vic Cutler (21 snaps)
    ED Omari Abor (29 snaps)
    S Kye Stokes (10 snaps)

Again McCord was going to be benched which is why they transferred. Their starting RB played, they were missing guys that never saw the field. The WR that didnt play was their 3/4th. Ebuka played. Henderson played. OSU was missing VERY little. They got beat plain and simple by a team that you claimed was bad all year

Missouri was missing its 3 best defensive players due to injury and still dominated OSUs offense

You're too funny. No team with a 3rd string freshman QB is going to beat a top ten team. If Ohio State had McCord, Harrison, Fleming, Trayum, and Williams they win by two touchdowns.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Georgia played their 3rd stringers most of the game and didnt really try and run up the score and won by 60. Leaving FSU out of the playoffs was the right call and Washington better be competitive or a new conversation starts

No it wasnt the right call. This was not the same FSU team. They had 24 opt outs.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/fsu-players-skipping-orange-bowl-opt-out/abbadeee6ef4be0b6507dd89

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Despite missing their star QUARTERBACK Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland destroys SEC power Auburn 31-13.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited December 30, 2023 7:36PM

LOL

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 2:23AM

In case you missed it, the NCAA is investigating "unauthorized access" to Catapult, a video service used by football programs. Ohio State is being accused of receiving footage they shouldn't have, with Michigan footage being the prize sought (allegedly). Catapult has two senior engineers that formerly worked for Ohio State's football team.

Michigan apparently heard info that their footage had been breached and stopped working with Catapult earlier this year.

If true, safe to say stealing your opponent's own footage is worse than a scout filming your sideline.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 5:25AM

Oh my, say it ain't so.... :p

• Options

To the victor belong the spoils... B)

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Despite missing their star QUARTERBACK Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland destroys SEC power Auburn 31-13.

YES.....Coach Sleeze during the game.......Aubs want him fired already..... :p

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bowl season is a joke. Far too many. Just about anyone who expects to be drafted is sitting out. There needs to be a financial incentive to play. I expect nothing will be done until a player in the playoffs decides to sit it out. That may happen when the playoffs go to 12 teams. A star player on a team with no real chance of winning it all doesn't want to harm his draft status because of injury.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Its up to the schools NIL collectives to incentivize people to play, some schools are better at it than others. Theres no real way to incentivize a first rounder as it would just cost to much to get someone to play in a meaningless bowl game. The only real way is the playoffs which should reduce the number of opt outs. Theyre still going to happen even for playoff teams and transfers will still happen. Every playoff team has multiple players in the portal, even Texas back up QB who started several games when Ewers got hurt.

I will also never understand why these schools with multibillion dollar endowments that spend a 100 million on a coach use a 3rd party app for film. Just build your own

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

MIZZOU-RAH!!!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Oh my, say it ain't so.... :p

Wetzel and Feldman especially and also Rosenberg to a lesser extent are all basically Michigan admin mouthpieces and might as well be on their payroll. I find it very hard to believe that the Buckeyes staff would be that reckless, and I think this is all wishful thinking on the part of the usual Michigan people.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

As a Penn Stater, I typically pull for my B1G foes in their bowl games. Harbaugh and the sign stealing make that really hard to do today (as a Steeler fan, my Harbaugh hatred is strong). I think I’d like to see them beat Bama, but I don’t think they will. As to the others:

LSU should roll over Wisc even without their Heisman winner

Iowa could give Tenn a run for their money, only because their D could cause problems for the young Vols QB. I just don’t see Tenn not outscoring Iowa, so I’m going with Tenn

I think Wash pulls out a win in the late game.

Oregon vs Liberty? Ha, that’s funny! The only way it’s close is if Oregon completely sleepwalks. The way their coach had them fired up and rubbing it in Colorado’s face, though, makes me think they’re going to be all in and this is going to be a joke of a game. It could be worse than 63-3.

I’m usually bad at his, though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I go 1-4 or 2-3 in my picks (and that’s why I’m not a betting man).

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

LSU should roll over Wisc even without their Heisman winner

They should. They're a 9 point favorite over an unranked team. LSU's backup QB is pretty good.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I dont think people realize just how many times Daniels put that team on his back this year. Their defense has been below standard all year, for whatever reason they cant figure out how to properly scheme that personal. Every game they scored less than 30 they lost, and they only scored less than 40 in one win. They even lost a game they scored 49

Nussmeier is a solid 4 star but inexperienced and he cant run at all where Daniels was a huge threat running as well which drastically changes the offense

• Options

They wont but Oregon deserves to lose for those awful uniforms

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

You're going to have to be more specific. This comment could apply to 100+ Oregon games over the last 20 years.

• Options

Horrific start for Michigan gets turned around thanks to 5 sacks in the first half and they're up 13-10 on Alabama at the half. I'm shocked at the pressure Michigan has generated.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Basebal21 said:

You're going to have to be more specific. This comment could apply to 100+ Oregon games over the last 20 years.

Haha and it applies for all of those games. They have some of the best and worst uniforms every year

• Options

Michigan came ready to play, running it down our throat, collapsing our pocket.
    Bama better make adjustments, or they're toast.

ROLL TIDE..... B)

• Options

Milroe needs to start running more. Hes not good on quick timing routes

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 5:55PM

Michigan has made too mistakes to win. I am pulling for Michigan, and I am sorry to say that, they have been out played because of mistakes. The messed up PAT might be huge. Just missed the field goal. These are routine plays, and Michigan can’t execute them.

My Alma mater, the University of Delaware, had Michigan connections because of Dave Nelson, Michigan alum, built the Delaware program before I went there. The Delaware helmets are identical to Michigan’s. So I support them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2024 6:19PM

@Tabe said:

@Brick said:
    BTW. Michigan players eat their cereal off of plates because they just can't handle bowls.

I'm a Michigan fan and laughed at this.

You can laugh, it’s the truth. Michigan can’t handle the pressure.

I predict that the Michigan offense will not score in the second half. It’s sad, but true.

I was wrong. LOL

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Michigan can’t catch the ball. What is wrong with these kids? Is it nerves?

• Options

MICHIGAN! Amazing!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable, what a win for Michigan.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to say it but Michigan is looking more and more like it's going to win the Natty.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

No SEC natty this year. Harbaugh finally wins a bowl game, and its against Saban.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

What really was up with the last play???? Run straight forward into a pile of Michigan lineman?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

The Milroe that got benched early in the season showed up again today. Why Saban didnt go in the portal for a QB for next year I dont know. Guess hes banking on one of his two 4 star freshman next year