Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 college football thread

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hail to the victors! Michigan tried their hardest to give the game away but pulled it out anyway. A lot to clean up before next week.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

Michigan’s special teams tried their best to give the game away, but the Alabama center came along and said “hold my beer”. He had some really rough snaps tonight that cost them a few times.

Helluva game, though - ebbs and flows, great game to watch.

Jim

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hats off to Michigan and the BIG10......they whipped us and made us like it.
    Their OL and DL in OT shut us down.

I know Tabe is happy and I bet Mark (justacommon) is a happy camper. I bet he was at the game.

Hope yall win it all.......now I'm off to cry all night.... :'(

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 4:41AM

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye, Bye Alabama, your run is over.
    Bye, Bye SEC for this year and the hill gets steeper starting next year.
    Bye, Bye @Bullsitter until next November, enjoy.

Bye, Bye @BillJones, stop prognosticating on football and stick to what you are a guru at, coins.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 7:31PM

The hill actually gets easier for the SEC next year. They will have multiple teams in which is why the B!G and the PAC 2 blocked expansion this year

If it was 12 teams this year Missouri, Ole Miss, and Georgia would be into the second round

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    The hill actually gets easier for the SEC next year. They will have multiple teams in which is why the B!G and the PAC 2 blocked expansion this year

If it was 12 teams this year Missouri, Ole Miss, and Georgia would be into the second round

Not true - GA would have played Ole Miss in the first round. Missouri would have played Oregon - I like Oregon’s chances there.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

Not true - GA would have played Ole Miss in the first round. Missouri would have played Oregon - I like Oregon’s chances there.

Missouri just beat OSU a significantly better team than Oregon. Georgia would still be alive. Oklahoma would have gotten squeezed out for Liberty giving FSU a free win. Ole Miss should have been ranked above PSU anyways.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

Missouri just beat OSU a significantly better team than Oregon. Georgia would still be alive. Oklahoma would have gotten squeezed out for Liberty giving FSU a free win. Ole Miss should have been ranked above PSU anyways.

Perhaps, but I think today’s Oregon team is better than the Ohio St team that Missouri faced, and MO didn’t exactly blow out OSU. GA would have beaten Ole Miss, so I think you’d have AL, GA, and possibly MO left from the SEC.

But who knows - gotta think playoff teams will have fewer transfers (among the starters) / opt outs, so I think all of the 5 through 12 teams would have looked very different.

Jim

• Options

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

Perhaps, but I think today’s Oregon team is better than the Ohio St team that Missouri faced, and MO didn’t exactly blow out OSU. GA would have beaten Ole Miss, so I think you’d have AL, GA, and possibly MO left from the SEC.

But who knows - gotta think playoff teams will have fewer transfers (among the starters) / opt outs, so I think all of the 5 through 12 teams would have looked very different.

That OSU team very likely beats Oregon. Theyre better at basically every position besides QB.

There are fewer transfers in the playoffs, but when you are talking about these top teams the transfers are all basically guys that didnt play very much or were told they werent guaranteed to start next year. The playoffs definitely helps keeps guys playing but all the playoff teams have a bunch of guys in the transfer portal.

The NCAA is really the one mostly blame for backups transferring. The early signing period for recruits makes it pretty clear to guys that theyre getting replaced or will have to fight tooth and nail for playing time the next year. The starter transfers werent that bad overall for the top 12 teams. I refuse to call Liberty top 12 which they will be in the new playoffs and we really just need a separate G5 playoff. The Pac 2 automatic bid will need to be addressed as well. The NFL opt outs were an issue, but theres not really a way to stop the first round guys from doing so other than hoping they value the playoffs.

All the teams were dealing with something. Mizzou had significant injuries, FSU knew their season was done when Travis broke his leg. Realistically GA could have easily won it all this year with the better expanded system. Saban does have their number in SEC championship games. GAs only two losses in 3 years are Bama both in the SEC title game.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

There are fewer transfers in the playoffs, but when you are talking about these top teams the transfers are all basically guys that didnt play very much or were told they werent guaranteed to start next year. The playoffs definitely helps keeps guys playing but all the playoff teams have a bunch of guys in the transfer portal.

That was basically my point… every team had situations that we won’t know about so speculation is pointless. I’d bet McCord isn’t in the portal if OSU is in the 12 team playoff - he’d have had until Jan 2 to enter and I don’t think there’s any way he and Day have that conversation about 2024 and cut ties while still in the running. He’s not an elite QB, but there’s no doubt OSU produces more offense with him than with their 2nd and 3rd stringers - who knows what happens regardless of who they play in a playoff. Add in Eichenberg who sat out because he seems to be injured but maybe he toughs it out and plays in a playoff. Too many variables to know how it would all play out.

Jim

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 10:23PM

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

That was basically my point… every team had situations that we won’t know about so speculation is pointless. I’d bet McCord isn’t in the portal if OSU is in the 12 team playoff - he’d have had until Jan 2 to enter and I don’t think there’s any way he and Day have that conversation about 2024 and cut ties while still in the running. He’s not an elite QB, but there’s no doubt OSU produces more offense with him than with their 2nd and 3rd stringers - who knows what happens regardless of who they play in a playoff. Add in Eichenberg who sat out because he seems to be injured but maybe he toughs it out and plays in a playoff. Too many variables to know how it would all play out.

I disagree on McCord. He went to Syracuse and Day was asked after their final game if he would be the starter and wouldnt say yes. You just dont leave OSU as a starting QB if you will continue to be it unless youve been told youre benched or will have to fight for you job. Its one thing if you go to a Georgia or something but to Syracuse no one else was really interested and thats a massive step down.

Day has some serious problems if a Syracuse can steal starters from him,FSU is going with DJ and Miami wouldnt pay the price for Cam Ward who might be a combine monster. Theres big programs that have QB questions that didnt go after McCord

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Penix was a beast. UT had no answers.

can't wait to see if Michigan has any

• Options

Unfortunate but seems a fitting way to end the 4 team playoff. A B!G team and a PAC 2 team. Would have had a 12 team playoff this year but the B!G and the PAC voted against it then the ACC joined then. 9 of 12 conferences voted for it and it had to be all of them and now two conferences that blocked it are in the final

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2024 2:40AM

Almost feels like an all BIG TEN National champ game.

Washington is the new member of the BIG TEN this year, and Penix played for Indiana.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 11:05PM

is clock management a thing anymore? Washington's coach tried his best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

UT had no timeouts, all Washington had to do is kneel on 3rd, punt on 4th and leave the Horns with a long field and 15-20 seconds left.

nah.

let's assume some unnecessary risk and hand the ball off on 3rd, the running back gets hurt, the clock stops and gives Texas an extra half minute that they shouldn't have had, and the next thing you know Texas unbelievably had 4 cracks from the 12 to win the game

I was hoping Texas would win on principle alone. some of these head coaches are bonafide idiots

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Almost feels like an all BIG TEN National champ game.

How does a PAC 12 now PAC 2 team vs a B!G team feel like an all B!G championship? You really dont want to do the conference comparisons when Mizzou beat OSU, Ole Miss beat PSU, Tennessee dominated Iowa and LSU beat Wisconsin.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    is clock management a thing anymore? Washington's coach tried his best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

UT had no timeouts, all Washington had to do is kneel on 3rd, punt on 4th and leave the Horns with a long field and 15-20 seconds left.

nah.

let's assume some unnecessary risk and hand the ball off on 3rd, the running back gets hurt, the clock stops and gives Texas an extra half minute that they shouldn't have had, and the next thing you know Texas unbelievably had 4 cracks from the 12 to win the game

I was hoping Texas would win on principle alone. some of these head coaches are bonafide idiots

First down would have ended the game. The injury stopped the clock that you couldnt predict.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 12:55AM

@Basebal21 said:

@galaxy27 said:

nah.

First down would have ended the game. The injury stopped the clock that you couldnt predict.

they weren't getting the first down. their RB averaged 2.5 yards per carry for the game, they had 5 yards to go, and UT was stacking the box. nothing good was going to come from handing the ball off. you risk a potentially catastrophic fumble (Miami anyone?) or what actually happened. conversely if you kneel and punt the game is effectively over

it's situational unawareness at its finest and they were very fortunate to hang on in spite of their brain-dead coach

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 1:13AM

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@galaxy27 said:

nah.

they weren't getting the first down. their RB averaged 2.5 yards per carry for the game, they had 5 yards to go, and UT was stacking the box. nothing good was going to come from handing the ball off. you risk a potentially catastrophic fumble (Miami anyone?) or what actually happened. conversely if you kneel and punt the game is effectively over

it's situational unawareness at its finest and they were very fortunate to hang on in spite of their brain-dead coach

Say they took the knee and kicked and it was run back or something else happened, his job would be on the line for playing like a coward. Even if they didnt get the first down as long as he didnt get hurt that basically would have been the game.

I would have rather seen Texas win simply because the PAC blocked the expanded playoffs this year, but Washington did the right thing there and I never like seeing anyone get hurt

The weirdest play of the day by far was Michigan taking a knee before the half, then calling a time out to take a knee again on their own goal line. That one I have no idea what was going on there

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bye, Bye Texas.

• Options

Bye-Bye OSU.....3 points against Mizzou....BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

I disagree on McCord. He went to Syracuse and Day was asked after their final game if he would be the starter and wouldnt say yes. You just dont leave OSU as a starting QB if you will continue to be it unless youve been told youre benched or will have to fight for you job. Its one thing if you go to a Georgia or something but to Syracuse no one else was really interested and thats a massive step down.

Day has some serious problems if a Syracuse can steal starters from him,FSU is going with DJ and Miami wouldnt pay the price for Cam Ward who might be a combine monster. Theres big programs that have QB questions that didnt go after McCord

First reply attempt went to moderation for some reason, so apologies if this is a dupe…

I see no scenario where Day and McCord have that conversation after Michigan if OSU is in a 12 team playoff and still has something to play for. Day’s not that dumb - he wouldn’t intentionally weaken his team’s chances in the playoff. Instead, that conversation happens after they’re eliminated, and McCord enters the portal by Jan 2 or in April if they were still alive after this portal window closed.

Jim

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 7:42AM

@Basebal21 said:

Say they took the knee and kicked and it was run back or something else happened, his job would be on the line for playing like a coward.

they weren't running anything back. Texas was punting from Washington territory. one of two things would happen: the ball goes out of bounds inside the 20 somewhere, or a fair catch (just as it did in the game).

it's not cowardly; it's called using your head and coaching smart bro.

Even if they didnt get the first down as long as he didnt get hurt that basically would have been the game.

but, again, he could fumble. Miami Hurricanes-Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, just in case you've forgotten. the risk far outweighed the reward, and it very nearly cost Washington the game. had they kneeled and punted, Texas was dead in the water.

when it's crunch time, it's amazing how many head coaches -- who are handsomely paid to put their teams in the best possible position to win -- stop to think and forget to start again. i've seen it a handful of times in the past week alone.

DeBoer did it

Mike McCarthy did it when he called an inexplicable heave to the end zone on 2nd down when Detroit had no timeouts, thereby giving the Lions an extra half minute plus to blow down the field and score, which they did, and come as close to winning a game without actually doing so as you possibly can.

then Dan Campbell turned around and did it by going for two a hundred times no matter where he was on the field, instead of kicking the extra point and taking it to overtime after the initial gadget play turned into a fustercluck.

just sheer, unadulterated stupidity from so many head coaches and it leaves me smh

• Options

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

@burghman said:

@Basebal21 said:

First reply attempt went to moderation for some reason, so apologies if this is a dupe…

I see no scenario where Day and McCord have that conversation after Michigan if OSU is in a 12 team playoff and still has something to play for. Day’s not that dumb - he wouldn’t intentionally weaken his team’s chances in the playoff. Instead, that conversation happens after they’re eliminated, and McCord enters the portal by Jan 2 or in April if they were still alive after this portal window closed.

With how McCord played it really wasnt weakening the team. For sure that conversation would have been less likely, but McCord really wasnt very good especially for what they had. Its not like he was some superstar especially considering what they had. He barely won the job in spring and their backup is just as good as him, no other big program wanted him, when he entered the portal he wasnt he a top 10 rated transfer QB. Look where he went when at the time of his decision Miami, FSU, USC, Washington just to name a few that still didnt have a QB yet. The only other school that seriously considered him at the power conference level was Nebraska who was going to use him as a backup or if Riaola got hurt.

They wouldnt have won the playoffs with him. Theres a lot of boosters and fans too where beating Michigan is the only thing that matters.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@Basebal21 said:

Say they took the knee and kicked and it was run back or something else happened, his job would be on the line for playing like a coward.

they weren't running anything back. Texas was punting from Washington territory. one of two things would happen: the ball goes out of bounds inside the 20 somewhere, or a fair catch (just as it did in the game).

it's not cowardly; it's called using your head and coaching smart bro.

Even if they didnt get the first down as long as he didnt get hurt that basically would have been the game.

but, again, he could fumble. Miami Hurricanes-Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, just in case you've forgotten. the risk far outweighed the reward, and it very nearly cost Washington the game. had they kneeled and punted, Texas was dead in the water.

when it's crunch time, it's amazing how many head coaches -- who are handsomely paid to put their teams in the best possible position to win -- stop to think and forget to start again. i've seen it a handful of times in the past week alone.

DeBoer did it

Mike McCarthy did it when he called an inexplicable heave to the end zone on 2nd down when Detroit had no timeouts, thereby giving the Lions an extra half minute plus to blow down the field and score, which they did, and come as close to winning a game without actually doing so as you possibly can.

then Dan Campbell turned around and did it by going for two a hundred times no matter where he was on the field, instead of kicking the extra point and taking it to overtime after the initial gadget play turned into a fustercluck.

just sheer, unadulterated stupidity from so many head coaches and it leaves me smh

Intentionally giving the ball back to the other team not even trying conservative run calls for a first down would be considered coaching cowardly. You cant predict injuries, but if you cant expect that at worst you come up short 99 percent of the time other than an injury you need new running backs.

Miami was a different story. They actually could have ended the game by taking a knee and that was just dumb to do if you actually can run out the clock.

Washington didnt have the ability to run out the clock. They still would have had to kick and there still would have been some time left for Texas to run at least 2 plays and they have one of the best WRs in the country. Ewers very likely suffered a concussion in the middle of the game but he could still throw deep balls.

A lot the scenarios you mentioned its the analytics. Baseball saw this start years ago and now its really getting into football too. Going for 2 is often based off the score, kick dont kick etc. Personally I think 4th and 1 should be an automatic go for every time, if you cant get 1 yard you dont deserve to win anyways

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure the last time I saw a team take a knee on 3rd down and then punt the ball on 4th. Pretty much every coach chooses a running play to at least make the defense stop them and force the punt. Also, not like punting is an absolute sure thing either, didn't Michigan lose when the punter fumbled a snap with 10 seconds left in a game a few years ago?

Robb

• Options
    edited January 2, 2024 2:51PM

I can see it now. Kalen DeBoer talking to his team after running the ball on 3rd down, which led to a Longhorns touchdown on the final play of the game: "Sorry fellas, I cost us a spot in the champ game. But more important than the outcome was the entire world knowing that we're not cowards. We may be stupid as hell, but we're not cowards."

Dillon Johnson averaged 2.3 yards per carry on the night. there was nowhere for him to go against Texas' d-line. but all of a sudden you're banking on him gaining 5 yards when there are 11 Longhorns within a handful of yards of the line of scrimmage, knowing full well what is about to happen. again, he wasn't going to get the first down......and he didn't. and if he wasn't going to get the first down, then that play call was only different from a kneel down in one respect: it included much more risk. and sure enough, the risk bit them and very nearly cost them a chance at the chip.

so to recap....

kneel and punt and Texas has 15ish seconds to go 85ish (at best) yards with no timeouts

or

you can pull a Kalen DeBasebal21 and if you happen to get the bullet while playing a completely unnecessary game of Russian roulette, all of a sudden Texas then has 4 cracks from the 12 to win the game. brilliant. 😅

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Not sure the last time I saw a team take a knee on 3rd down and then punt the ball on 4th. Pretty much every coach chooses a running play to at least make the defense stop them and force the punt. Also, not like punting is an absolute sure thing either, didn't Michigan lose when the punter fumbled a snap with 10 seconds left in a game a few years ago?

Robb

Happened earlier this year. Washington is only even in the playoffs because Oregon State snapped a punt 40 yards over their head for a safety in a game Washington won by 2.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say as an SEC’an, I’m a little disappointed at the finish of the bowl season. But as a conference, I think we still finish as well as any:

Doug
  • Options

@DMWJR said:
    I have to say as an SEC’an, I’m a little disappointed at the finish of the bowl season. But as a conference, I think we still finish as well as any:

If Michigan wins Monday, the Big TEN will win the bowl challenge (6-4) If Washington wins, the Pac 12 wins the bowl challenge.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Buckeyes scored 24 against Michigan in Ann Arbor. Alabama only scored 20 on a neutral field against Michigan :D Ohio State has a top 3 defense. Ohio State is better than Bama. Big TEN has the top THREE rated defenses in the country.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Penix proved against Texas he got robbed of the Heisman.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Bullsitter said:

Buckeyes scored 24 against Michigan in Ann Arbor.

OSU scored 24 against Michigan.
    OSU scored 3 against Missouri.
    Who has the best defense?

• Options

• Options

Looked back on the 2021 College Football thread....interesting.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 6:34AM

Poor Texas..... :p

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems this years CF Playoffs established next to nothing in terms of determining a National Champion. Further, the ranking of the conferences may not be as clear either given the results combined with players that opt out because of the NFL Draft.

Not sure that the NCAA learned anything other than this time is long overdue for inter-conference match ups on a rotating basis as part of non-conference scheduling.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Michigan -4.5 point favorite.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Buckeyes land duel threat QB from the portal

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 5, 2024 7:56PM

LSU fired its entire defensive coaching staff and is expected to steal Missouzs DC to hire a new staff

Cam Ward couldnt get the money he wanted from Miami and declared for the draft

DJ however you spell it from Oregon State is going to FSU

Howard is good but wasnt one of the elites in the portal and duel threat is a bit of a stretch.

Judkins enters the portal looking for a pay day

Bru McCoy returning to Tennessee

Top rated edge in the portal going to A&M

Looks like Carson Beck will return to GA especially since some of his linemen has said they will forgo the draft

No formal decision from Ewers yet about returning to Texas but there are rumors he will come back

• Options

Howard was the #2 ranked QB in the portal. Actually #1 since Ward declared for the draft. So I would say the Buckeyes did pretty good.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/top-10-transfer-portal-quarterbacks

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:
    Michigan -4.5 point favorite.

5 tonight at my establishment.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@coolstanley said:
    Howard was the #2 ranked QB in the portal. Actually #1 since Ward declared for the draft. So I would say the Buckeyes did pretty good.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/top-10-transfer-portal-quarterbacks

Howard was not the number 2 QB in the portal. $2 was Moore who went to Oregon which makes no since since they already had gotten Gabriel from OU. Howard was anywhere from 6 to 9 depending on which actual recruiting services and talent evaluation services

Number 5 withdrew from the portal and number 4 hasnt signed yet. Number 1 followed his coach to Michigan State and will likely regret that and number 3 went to Duke who just lost their coach and was a weird decision as well.

Howard is fine, he has injury issues but if hes healthy hes fine. Hes not going to be the best QB in the country in anything like that unless a lot of other guys get hurt.

• Options

Wonder why more than one top program was after him?

Just more usual nonsense from the butthurt sec guy.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    edited January 5, 2024 9:27PM

@coolstanley said:
    Wonder why more than one top program was after him?

Just more usual nonsense from the butthurt sec guy.

What an intelligent response.

By the way actual Ohio State fans dont root for Michigan under any circumstances. Rooting for an arch conference rival is just an admission of knowing you cant beat them or top teams

• Options

When did I root for them? Huskies all the way.

Ignore list -Basebal21