Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received email from NGC saying that they will be doing nothing special with labels or encapsulation for these Willie Wonka coins. Hopefully PCGS will soon confirm they are encapsulating the cert with a special label for the coin.

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ndeagles said:
    No signed cert for me, but I noticed new security tape on the delivery box. Both of mine shipped from Memphis.

Mine also. Both fulfillment center, Memphis. One has the warning tape
    The tape box weighs 0.450 and the regular box 0.360 ? Que es?

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    @Goldbully
    Is there any noticeable difference in finish, strike, or characteristics between the directors strike and the other peace dollars?

Nothing I could find. I looked and compared to three other Peace $1's.

This could make a graded paper and coin combo that much more valuable given the PCGS requirements!
    NGC the same?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@MilesWaits said:

This could make a graded paper and coin combo that much more valuable given the PCGS requirements!
    NGC the same?

>
    no for NGC, see my post above.

"When the rule of law collapses, civilization can no longer survive." - Martin Armstrong

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no reason to switch coins except you will probably be able buy a signed card off the web and pair it with any coin.

Also you could offer a card holder a chunk of money for a card.

So I don't think the TPGs have a choice but to open the box themselves. Maintains integrity.

• Options

@fathom said:
    There is no reason to switch coins except you will probably be able buy a signed card off the web and pair it with any coin.

Also you could offer a card holder a chunk of money for a card.

So I don't think the TPGs have a choice but to open the box themselves. Maintains integrity.

or one might choose to submit the card with the 70 they pick out from the lot of opened coins.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got box 1 of 2 today. All accounted for. No card 😒

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

My four boxes:

3 were wrapped in distinctly different sized bubble wrap while the fourth was very very nicely wrapped in brown craft paper!

I find it interesting that there's not military uniformity across all the shipping...just for the sake of simplicity.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:
    This is a little strange. According to tracking the Morgan package started in Coppel, TX, while the Peace package started in Memphis. On the Morgan package, delivered just minutes ago, the return address was the Memphis Fulfillment center, not Coppel, TX.

The Peace comes tomorrow.

It’s the Mint, boxes here labels there shipping labels somewhere else but still better than the shipping wheel they used in the old days. Just ask Bullsitter

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

JUST got my shipping notice on the Peace dollars, Morgan's delivered 3 hours ago 🤷

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    Question for the knowledgeable numismatists out there: Would these uncirculated Morgan and Peace dollars be considered burnished? As I understand it, all of the Mint’s uncirculated silver coins are made this way.

Not burnished. Those burnished coins have an extra step and has a different look.

• Options

With only 200 signed certificates, they are very rare. And since they are numbered...number 1 will be practically priceless!

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

still waiting on my Morgan’s . Hope they make it today. Most come when the daily mail comes but for some reason these are coming by way of a different postal service. New in regards to previous orders. BTW I think I will leave them unopened until I submit. Good luck everyone!

• Options
    edited July 17, 2023 4:41PM

@Onastone said:
    With only 200 signed certificates, they are very rare. And since they are numbered...number 1 will be practically priceless!

the certificates are rare. the coins are plentiful.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Willie Wonka”!!
    Thanks for the clarity.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    jeffas1974 wins the race!!!!

How does it look in hand?

I could be wrong, but> @robec said:

This is a little strange. According to tracking the Morgan package started in Coppel, TX, while the Peace package started in Memphis. On the Morgan package, delivered just minutes ago, the return address was the Memphis Fulfillment center, not Coppel, TX.

The Peace comes tomorrow.

It makes sense...that's a return address on the label, so if something went wrong, they want it to go to the main shop, not necessarily where it was contracted to ship OUT of...

My Morgans from the subscription arrived today as well...haven't opened....I looked at tracking. Coppell, TX as well. What's funny is that I have relatives that live there and was imagining how quickly I would have gotten these if I were there. As it is, they had to travel ~1500+ miles to me instead of less than 5....LOL

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@robec said:

@Goldbully said:

After all the excitement of getting my signed COA, PCGS will not encapsulate and pair with the coin, because I should have sent the entire MInt sealed box in for submission. How would I know there is a signed COA inside?

I guess rules are rules, but this is a big let down.

Still, even without being slabbed by a TPG, there should still be a premium. It’s a pretty rare bird…… only 0.08% of the Peace dollars will have one.

In all seriousness, WHY?
    Unless there proves to be something different and distinguishable about the 200 "pressed" by her, then the COAs can just be put with any one of the 200k+ that were issued, right? Just like Cheerios pennies (and the gold dollars initially thought). Unless PCGS opens them themselves, who's to say WHICH dollar the COA went to?

For some, I can see a bit of excitement on these, but, overall, the "1 of 200" COAs are meaningless, imho.

Now, if, for those 200, the mint had put them in a sealed environment WITH the actual coin, THEN I could see it being more reasonable and easier for PCGS.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Onastone said:

Why?

They can't be traced to specific coins, they are "loose"....so, even understanding people collecting labels, with coins with them, why do you think a COA, even "#1 of xxx", would be worth much by itself (since it could belong to any of the coins?

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2023 5:17PM

@Bochiman said:

@robec said:

@Goldbully said:

Now, if, for those 200, the mint had put them in a sealed environment WITH the actual coin, THEN I could see it being more reasonable and easier for PCGS.

You nailed it, my friend.

I'm seeing a new marketing space for the Mint/TPG model.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@JeffM said:
    Question for the knowledgeable numismatists out there: Would these uncirculated Morgan and Peace dollars be considered burnished? As I understand it, all of the Mint’s uncirculated silver coins are made this way.

Not burnished. Those burnished coins have an extra step and has a different look.

Thank you!

• Options

To all of you who bought box loads of these coins, obviously you are flippers. Do you expect to make a big profit on these?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

both are still available, the longer they are still available, the less profit, if they are still available after 2 weeks, then your looking at a potential loss

• Options

@Rob9874 said:
    I didn't get one of the 200 signed COAs, but one of my Peaces came without a COA. Is that something? :D

Sounds to me like you’re a winner! Those non-COAs could be worth some money. Send the coin and no certificate to PCGS and tell them you want both graded and slabbed.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@derryb said:

@Goldbully said:

After all the excitement of getting my signed COA, PCGS will not encapsulate and pair with the coin, because I should have sent the entire MInt sealed box in for submission. How would I know there is a signed COA inside?

Tells us everything PCGS told you about submitting these for the "200" label

They have a firm rule that the mint sealed box is the only way they will encapsulate the COA and pair with the coin.

This is basically what they said to me........read the link.

https://www.pcgs.com/coa

PCGS will encapsulate that signed peace coa. Ventris personally signed a coa for me last year, and PCGS encapsulated it. Just because it’s not paired exactly with the peace dollar with a cert # on the coin label isn’t a huge deal, it’s the coa that’s valuable.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    To all of you who bought box loads of these coins, obviously you are flippers. Do you expect to make a big profit on these?

I made enough to make it worth my while 😎

• Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

I excitedly opened up my boxes today without realizing about the signed COAs...instead of sending in the sealed box to PCGS. Got COA #82....sigh

• Options

@Rockdogz said:
    I excitedly opened up my boxes today without realizing about the signed COAs...instead of sending in the sealed box to PCGS. Got COA #82....sigh

If you bought a box of 25 coins, why would you send the entire box in unless you want every coin graded and slabbed?

• Options

@Rockdogz said:

@JeffM said:

@Rockdogz said:

If you bought a box of 25 coins, why would you send the entire box in unless you want every coin graded and slabbed?

True..I only had 2 in that box though.

2 in the box and you got a signed COA? Congrats!!

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

@Rockdogz said:

@JeffM said:

@Rockdogz said:

True..I only had 2 in that box though.

Congrats on the COA. You should go get a lottery ticket with that kind of luck 😀

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rockdogz said:

I feel your pain. Got pics?

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 8:58AM

One Morgan arrived today, four Peace due tomorrow. The one Morgan will not make 70 - I'm quite sure. I agree wholeheartedly with the notion that if one wants 70s, then one should by them that way, already slabbed.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I rec'd my Morgans -

The quality is outstanding - ALL 5 well struck, sharp, and perfect (20x).

Will definitely grade top.

So have you'll checked the coins you have received, and
    any feedback on the coins, and what you are planning
    to do with the grading system.

THANKS .

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I'm sorry...but I must comment on this basic contradiction...

TPGs will hand out First Strike labels like candy without any actual evidence that a given coin was, in fact, struck first...however they won't accept a coin with a signed COA that states that, in fact, this coin WAS struck first!

I know what everyone will likely reply,,,but absurdities like that are the reason that I never started playing the FS label game.

He can get a first strike label for his peace dollar, no problem at all. He just can’t get a specific coa number (#194) on the coin’s label.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

First strike is misleading. That is why they print a disclaimer on the back of the label.
    They should be called "Shipped in 30 days or Less"

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rockdogz said:

Why the "sigh"?

A couple posts above yours reports that one sold on ebay for $1200. If you are interested in making a quick killing, get it listed asap.

• Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2023 9:54PM

Why the "sigh"?

A couple posts above yours reports that one sold on ebay for $1200. If you are interested in making a quick killing, get it listed asap.

I would sigh too. I can’t imagine that more than a few dozen of these coins will grade with the cert from an unopened mint package and those that do will command enormous premiums.

Opened and ungraded $1,200 is a gamble for both the buyer and seller. Having a slabbed coin with an “82 of 200” label and an accompanying slabbed cert will move it into rarified air.

Granted, at the end of the day the actual coin will be no different than what most of us bought but that provenance is going to be in high demand.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    I'm sorry...but I must comment on this basic contradiction...

TPGs will hand out First Strike labels like candy without any actual evidence that a given coin was, in fact, struck first...however they won't accept a coin with a signed COA that states that, in fact, this coin WAS struck first!

I know what everyone will likely reply,,,but absurdities like that are the reason that I never started playing the FS label game.

1st strike is exactly as defined. You're being too literal if you read it to literally mean 1st struck. Any 1st strike coin meets the criteria and is verified as meeting the criteria. There is simply no way to verify that the COA goes with a specific coin unless the box was sealed.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

"If the COA is hand-signed or serialized the coin must be in the original sealed shipping box from the Mint or it will be ineligible for pairing with a Certificate of Authenticity"

That makes it almost impossible to get the paired coin and signed COA encapsulated. Is anybody going to send in their order sight unseen? You could make a special request to only grade and encapsulate if there is a signed COA, maybe if you were also going for First Strike labeling...

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see either one flip this morning.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭

Received my Morgan order yesterday, 7/17. Guess it takes the Pony Express a bit longer to get to the west coast.

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    Received my Morgan order yesterday, 7/17. Guess it takes the Pony Express a bit longer to get to the west coast.

Mine is arriving today. Originally supposed to be here yesterday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file