cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK +255,904
    2023 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN +210
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK +255,877
    2023 PEACE SILVER DOLLAR UNC NO MINT MARK - 40 COIN +194

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 10:09AM

HSN musta gotta the leftovers. Wasn’t it reported here on the forum that they only got 40% 70’s from the peace dollar? They wouldn’t fib, would they? 🤨
    It’s shocking!!

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

PEACE:
    5 of 10 were loose in Mint box (Memphis).
    Coins and capsules looked rough. I'll get a Mint return label and return those.
    The others were nice.
    MORGANS:
    9 of 10 looked good (Texas).
    Tight fit, no loose coins.
    If it was a football game I'd say:
    MORGAN 45
    PEACE 25
    This is the worst of the Morgans.

• Options

Ordered 5 Morgan and 5 Peace. All look good, several Morgans just POP, however one of them has a nick to the left of the M on the obverse.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 10:30AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    HSN musta gotta the leftovers. Wasn’t it reported here on the forum that they only got 40% 70’s from the peace dollar? They wouldn’t fib, would they? 🤨
    It’s shocking!!

I am GUESSING that many of these initial submissions had a "minimum grade" specification of 70. Consequently, these preliminary outcomes, which do not include many 69 results, even when they occurred, are not truly representative of the overall distribution.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:
    Why aren't people just recording their box opening process? I'm sure mine would have been deemed valid by PCGS - had there been a certificate in the box.

So I instructed my AI service to either create a video or edit mine to reveal the discovery of a certificate.
    It refused - saying that "it would be poor form and quite possibly deceptive". ;)

I am certain that one of the flippers here with their pet bots could modify your AI to create that video. Since they can bust through all of the Mint's crowds and blocking, this should be a breeze!

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 12:14PM

@JeffM said:
    I am certain that one of the flippers here with their pet bots could modify your AI to create that video. Since they can bust through all of the Mint's crowds and blocking, this should be a breeze!

I'm a flipper of opportunity. I don't use bots so I'd be of no use here... 😅😎

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got two peace today, kind of bummed with the quality. One has a deep slice or cut in the rim. Does the mint accept returns?

• Options
    edited July 18, 2023 12:37PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Got two peace today, kind of bummed with the quality. One has a deep slice or cut in the rim. Does the mint accept returns?

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Sorry to hear that.

This form should be in the box.

• Options

Both mine. 1 peace 1 Morgan. 🤢
    The field has variations in the pattern. Not spots but a small area of different hue. A heck it’s a spot to the eye, a distraction but not smotz just sticking out enough to say. Ain’t no 70’s. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    edited July 18, 2023 1:44PM

@MrBear said:
    I got my two boxes (3 each) yesterday. ONE of them was...badly packaged. It had a piece of clear packing tape that was, maybe, an inch over the seam on one side. I almost thought the box had been tampered with and then taped up. AND, the flap with the adhesive hadn't been used. That is, the person who packed it, didn't peel off the cover and then stick the box shut.

I'm 99% sure that someone stole my COA coin and replaced it with a regular one :D

Yep, my Morgan came today. The box was sealed with tape, but like yours the flap was not sealed. I actually appreciated this because it was so easy to open. Usually, I fight with it and dull my knife each time I open the Mint packages.

Both my Peace and Morgan dollars look great! I can't wait for the proofs and reverse proofs to be issued.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    It’s shocking!!

They may not pre-screen them while the others have.

• Options

Price is under $100 on ebay already.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

For what? Raw or Slabbed?

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Either flavor. Under $100. OGP 🐈
    Just a random listing not affiliated with the seller. There’s more available.

• Options
    TopcatCoinTopcatCoin Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

My Morgan is flawless. I have not opened my Peace yet.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Raw. Slabbed are only $140ish

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 8:13PM
  • Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@MrBear said:
    I got my two boxes (3 each) yesterday. ONE of them was...badly packaged. It had a piece of clear packing tape that was, maybe, an inch over the seam on one side. I almost thought the box had been tampered with and then taped up. AND, the flap with the adhesive hadn't been used. That is, the person who packed it, didn't peel off the cover and then stick the box shut.

I'm 99% sure that someone stole my COA coin and replaced it with a regular one :D

Yep, my Morgan came today. The box was sealed with tape, but like yours the flap was not sealed. I actually appreciated this because it was so easy to open. Usually, I fight with it and dull my knife each time I open the Mint packages.

Both my Peace and Morgan dollars look great! I can't wait for the proofs and reverse proofs to be issued.

My first thought was that they didn't seal the flap so that you could use the box for a return. Of course, I was mistaken. :)

But the tape on that first box really bugged me. This is after I opened it, but you can see how little tape was on that side. Someone could have opened the box without much difficulty.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

@SPalladino said:

@Goldbully said:
    Latest POPS report from PCGS........lots of 70's in the early going.

Comments welcomed.

Just like the 2021 Morgans and Peace.....early heavy skewing to 70s. Why? Because the big guys submit with a minimum grade request of 70. Anything less than 70 is not graded and sent back.
    The numbers seen in the report are from ABPP submissions, no doubt. only ~1800 graded for each unc.....of perhaps 20,000 to 27,500 ordered by the ABPP. Of course, not all ABPP coins went to PCGS.

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    HSN musta gotta the leftovers. Wasn’t it reported here on the forum that they only got 40% 70’s from the peace dollar? >They wouldn’t fib, would they?

If their submission was for minimum grade 70, then the non-graded <70 coins would not be reflected in the report. ;)
    Example: in late January of 2022, well after non-ABPP coins were beginning to be factored in, the percent 70 was:

But with further dilution of the initial "ABPP minimum grade 70s" by additional collector submissions, the percent 70s continue to drop. Here is the percentage of 70s only 7 months later - August 2022:

I have not check to see what the percentages are lately, but will check.

Thanks. Excellent explanation. I love this place. Sooooo much available knowledge. Sorry a little “available “ humor. 😂. Seriously, thanks, appreciate your posts. 🙏

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

» show previous quotes
    Just like the 2021 Morgans and Peace.....early heavy skewing to 70s. Why? Because the big guys submit with a minimum grade request of 70. Anything less than 70 is not graded and sent back.

Minimum grade request of “70” is not allowed per PCGS guidelines for submissions.

However, as stated before, the early bird gets the worm. 70’s flow freely early on; then the faucet slowly turns off.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Additionally Bulk Submission Reqs state:

How Does Grading Work for Bulk Submissions?

Minimum grade requested cannot be MS/PR70; minimum-70 Bulk Submissions will not be accepted.

• Options

All quiet on the western front. Looks like we are done for awhile

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see either one become available this morning.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

Received my Morgan’s yesterday. Looks like my Peace Dollars will be delivered today. Thank goodness! I only ordered three of each so I’m not going to open them. WFOM is in Rosemont next year so I will submit them at the show.

• Options

@MtW124 said:
    Received my Morgan’s yesterday. Looks like my Peace Dollars will be delivered today. Thank goodness! I only ordered three of each so I’m not going to open them. WFOM is in Rosemont next year so I will submit them at the show.

For the next year you will be wondering, is there a Director's Strike signed COA in that box?

Good luck to you.

• Options

For the next year you will be wondering, is there a Director's Strike signed COA in that box?

Good luck to you.

Probably so but I’ll hopefully forget about them once the next shiny object presents itself like proofs and the high relief Liberty in August lol.

• Options

@MtW124 said:

Good luck to you.

Probably so but I’ll hopefully forget about them once the next shiny object presents itself like proofs and the high relief Liberty in August lol.

I think you should wait until 2030 and then request a "FIRST DECADE OF RELEASE" label!

• Options

I think you should wait until 2030 and then request a "FIRST DECADE OF RELEASE" label!

I think you are on to something!

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭

Received my Peace yesterday 7/18, coins wrapped in paper to fill void. Morgans received 7/17 wrapped in bubble wrap to fill void. Both showed Memphis as return address. No director's strikes. Boo-hoo.

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    Received my Peace yesterday 7/18, coins wrapped in paper to fill void. Morgans received 7/17 wrapped in bubble wrap to fill void. Both showed Memphis as return address. No director's strikes. Boo-hoo.

Same no card here.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:

Both my packages were package identical to how yours was. Both my packages also had Memphis as the return address, but looking at tracking, the Morgan dollars were shipped from Coppel, Texas. If you have access to your tracking information I’ll bet yours did also.

• Options

@coiner said:
    » show previous quotes

Minimum grade request of “70” is not allowed per PCGS guidelines for submissions.

However, as stated before, the early bird gets the worm. 70’s flow freely early on; then the faucet slowly turns off.

The "big guys" have different rules, none of which are stated on the website.

• Options

@coiner said:
    Additionally Bulk Submission Reqs state:

How Does Grading Work for Bulk Submissions?

Minimum grade requested cannot be MS/PR70; minimum-70 Bulk Submissions will not be accepted.

This is not the "bulk submission" rules for true large submitters. None of those rules are posted anywhere publicly. Ask one of the big boys on this forum. There are a couple.

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I have some coins delivered to my house, and some to my PO box. Three of the four boxes arrived on Monday. Based on USPS tracking, the last box will arrive tomorrow. I'm not sure what the holdup was. The three came from Memphis, while the one came from TX. It got to the local "main mail facility" a day after the Memphis boxes.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

• Options

@robec said:

@Glen2022 said:

Both my packages were package identical to how yours was. Both my packages also had Memphis as the return address, but looking at tracking, the Morgan dollars were shipped from Coppel, Texas. If you have access to your tracking information I’ll bet yours did also.

Both of my packages had the Memphis return address, Both were wrapped in bubble wrap.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

both my packages were in brown boxes.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 10 of my coins have now arrived well packed...and they all look decent...so I'm a happy camper.

I'll let my kids worry about slabbing them...or selling them at a flea market!

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW...am I the only person who is blown away by the fact that between 2021 & 2023...that a "complete set" of Morgan and Peace dollars now contain roughly 10% more coins...after only 2 years!!!

That's assuming you consider these to be part of the "classical/historical" sets.

• Options

I'm looking ahead to the proof editions.

Mintage Limit: 400,000

HHL: 25

Think they will all sell out like the uncs?....400k is a lot.

What are you buying?

Will there be a Director's Strike signed COA?

Just thinking out loud.

• Options

@derryb said:
    both my packages were in brown boxes.

Wow!! Really? You should send them to PCGS for grading and slabbing. :D

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭

Mintage is 275,000 for both. How long does it take the mint to produce these and get them ready to ship in the capsules, boxes, etc? One minted, boxed etc., the mint must store them, and ship them to the distribution centers. Does the mint do anything to ensure that the first coins minted are the first coins shipped to purchasers, or are the coins/boxes mixed together without concern for the order minted? I am guessing the there is no correlation between those produced first and those shipped first. I think It would seem to be a monumental and costly effort to keep track of this (but not impossible) to ensure the first coins minted are shipped first to purchasers.

So if this speculation is accurate, assuming equal grades (for example MS70) is there any real difference between coins that wind up in slabs labeled FDOI, Early Release, First Strike or any other similar label designation.

Is there anyone who has worked at the mint that can and will accurately answer this question?

• Options

To corroborate with @SPalladino.

Pop Reports as of today.......do I see even more varieties?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file