Home U.S. Coin Forum

**** 2023 MORGAN & PEACE SILVER DOLLARS OFFICIAL THREAD****

Comments

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

At these low prices I believe they will attract many new collectors who may want to continue the series and drive future years demand. A great money maker for high volume dealers in slabs and for the mint.
    Not a very good profit maker for the flippers

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@Goldminers said:
    Why are the reverse proofs still available for subscriptions when their mintage is "only" 250,000, compared to 275,000 and 400,000 for the uncirculated which are basically sold out, and proofs which the mintage is too high?

They should look really good, and they may not be minted in 2024 like the others seem to be.

It’s because of the HHL of 5, instead of 25 on the others. They are more evenly distributed and harder to obtain in quantities, so when 1 person drops their subscription, a few become available and they are snapped up. These will be winners

Yeah. I don't even want the unc Morgan but I bought 15 of them. Lol

@HATTRICK said:
    At these low prices I believe they will attract many new collectors who may want to continue the series and drive future years demand. A great money maker for high volume dealers in slabs and for the mint.
    Not a very good profit maker for the flippers

$75 is not a low price for most collectors.

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got both my Peace and Morgan in the mail today. The PO did require a signature, but luckily I caught them while they were still sorting mail and they let me pick it up.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:
    I got both my Peace and Morgan in the mail today. The PO did require a signature, but luckily I caught them while they were still sorting mail and they let me pick it up.

Pictures please

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

@Goldbully said:
    Opened my box of 12 Peace $1's and found this little note.

As close to re-creating my surprise with my iPhone as I could.

If I had known there was such a piece of provenance within, I would have left the box sealed.

😊

Comments welcomed.

Wow buddy. There’s a bonus for you. Congratulations.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of 200, that is a unique surprise. Which one was it, or was the card loose in the box?
    I was wondering if they would do anything special and unannounced. Like the 1994 sms nickel that snuck out in commemorative sets.

Que es? Smutz or dings?

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    One of 200, that is a unique surprise. Which one was it, or was the card loose in the box?
    I was wondering if they would do anything special and unannounced. Like the 1994 sms nickel that snuck out in commemorative sets.

Just the way you see it in the pic above. It was inserted into the box cover of that coin.

edited July 16, 2023 1:30PM

@Goldbully said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Just the way you see it in the pic above. It was inserted into the box cover of that coin.

Oh I see, it was tucked into the cover. I’m curious to see how many others (on this forum or thread) get this card. Coingratulations!

Edited for clarity

Close ups. Very cool

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2023 5:10PM

@Goldbully said:
    Opened my box of 12 Peace $1's and found this little note.

As close to re-creating my surprise with my iPhone as I could.

If I had known there was such a piece of provenance within, I would have left the box sealed.

😊

That's incredible.

Was this known in advance? You might want to alert the numismatic media or even PCGS about this.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my two from the subscription, I noticed a very small ding or scratch on each one, very minor.

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Que es? Smutz or dings?

It's on the case. Both look better in hand than I can capture with my phone.

Philippians 4:4-7

edited July 15, 2023 5:21PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@JBK said:

That's incredible.

Was this known in advance? You might want to alert the numismatic media or even PCGS about this.

Sounds like an extra special label opportunity

Next question....will it be revealed later that there is some tiny alteration that is unique to these 200? Such as maybe a missing reed on the edge like is done with the Silver Eagles? >:)

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2023 5:33PM

I don't have the 2021 boxes in front of me at the moment...but I'm pleased that the packaging seems consistent between the '21 and '23 issues.

And that "Director's Strike" certificate is great. I wonder if there are also 200 "special" Morgans out there?

It is like the golden ticket for Willy wonka, I would feel like Charlie if I got one, haha. Coingratulations again @Goldbully

Way too cool. This will change the market for these coins. When buying from the mint always remember that
    Box of chocolates thing

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • smuglrsmuglr Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Reminiscent of the 2013 USPS fiasco creating an instant rarity by producing 100 sheets of right side up Jenny stamps (against postal regulations prohibiting creating such rarities) that were to be randomly mixed into millions of sheets at selected post offices. It turned out some were sent as a 'bonus' to 'selected' customers. A full accounting was never made and if I remember correctly one of the responsible managers resigned over it. Better odds of finding one of these directors strikes but I can't help but wonder.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Congrats to our host!

Forget about it. These were randomly inserted in 200 different Peace coins. May also be 200 Morgans. Remember that box of chocolates thing

• SqueekstyleSqueekstyle Posts: 57 ✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2023 7:11PM

Well, my 2023 Morgan came with a blemish on the reverse, right at the Eagles head. I swear I have the worst luck with these modern coins.

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Peace dollars came in today. I'll take a good look at them tomorrow. The Morgans hopefully come in on Monday.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Squeekstyle said:
    Well, my 2023 Morgan came with a blemish on the reverse, right at the Eagles head. I swear I have the worst luck with these modern coins.

I guarantee you're not the only one!

@Cranium_Basher73 said:
    My Peace dollars came in today. I'll take a good look at them tomorrow. The Morgans hopefully come in on Monday.

Do it before you eat.................

@meluaufeet said:
    Congrats to our host!

For what???

A rarity and a printing error $$$$$$$
    Good luck to all who score these

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2023 9:03PM

suspect that unless "200" card is submitted with a single mint sealed box that PCGS will not offer a special label, if at all. A single card in a sealed box of more than one coin will likely not get a label because of "which coin does the label go to?"

card and coin special label will likely require a single coin sealed box that unknowingly contains the card to be submitted for grading. Historically PCGS has been very strict on special labels.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@Cranium_Basher73 said:

Do it before you eat.................

I might not be able to take a good look at the Morgans before I go to work.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

@derryb said:
    suspect that unless "200" card is submitted with a single mint sealed box that PCGS will not offer a special label, if at all. A single card in a sealed box of more than one coin will likely not get a label because of "which coin does the label go to?"

card and coin special label will likely require a single coin sealed box that unknowingly contains the card to be submitted for grading. Historically PCGS has been very strict on special labels.

The card was tucked into the sleeve of one coin, and that coin also has a special COA.

Whether they accept them opened, who knows. But in a sealed box of any amount, the special coin is identifiable.

@RichR said:
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa...reading that card literally it says that the coin was struck and Ventris Gibson signed that card on the same day: January 5, 2021.

Is anyone else reading it that way?

I don't read it that way at all. I don't see any reference to when the certificate was signed. The date of striking is misleading, though. The way it reads, the coins were struck on the day the law was signed. Without another date listed (such as near the signature), "on this date" seems to refer to the date of the legislation.

@JBK said:

@derryb said:

The card was tucked into the sleeve of one coin, and that coin also has a special COA.

Whether they accept them opened, who knows. But in a sealed box of any amount, the special coin is identifiable.

looks like anyone submitting might need to submit sealed box in hopes the 200 card is in there. Hopefully some quick guidance from PCGS.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@derryb said:

IMHO, it is unlikely that PCGS would assign a designation without a sealed box.

The existing program for 'signed/serialized' COAs requires a sealed box. Reference
    How else could PCGS be confident that a specific coin was actually 'mated' to a "director" COA.

I could be wrong. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how PCGS handles this.

a certified 200 label will clearly demonstrate the craziness of the "label" market.

Now everyone say ""HYPE""

@Aspie_Rocco said:

@Goldbully said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Oh I see, it was tucked into the cover. I’m curious to see how many others get this card. Coingratulations!

edited July 15, 2023 10:44PM

Good evening 🌇

Enough of that.
    And how about this. Seems the proofs are lukewarm.
    What say you?

edited July 16, 2023 1:01AM

Proof peace dollar is also just above $100. Interesting 🧐

edited July 16, 2023 2:43AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Same price as the uncs. I'm not sure what I would conclude from that. That is probably more price driven than demand driven. If you are into the coins (unc) for $80. You can't profitably sell it for less than $100.

edited July 16, 2023 3:30AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Same price as the uncs. I'm not sure what I would conclude from that. That is probably more price driven than demand driven. If you are into the coins (unc) for $80. You can't profitably sell it for less than $100.

Kinda what I was thinking. These are creeping under $100 Makes it tough as you say. Thanks 🙏

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @Goldbully and consider having that graded, the certificate perhaps as well....PCGS has done the certificate encapsulations before!!!! Super rarity!!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file