Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking that the star symbol had something to do with the "Star of Lima."

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are 130 years too late!

This is what the Star of Lima looks like. Admittedly, this is the "finest known" 8R example per Sedwick, so they don't all look as good.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:

Late Thursday win to see my submission processed. This was the most exciting piece for me, and is going in the type/mint set I'm slowly chipping away at.

Great piece! Really well struck from what I've seen of those.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 10:53PM

Wow, it's very interesting image, great art. I have never seen it before.
    Why are two boys going to Fridom? USA and Canada? And is GB letting off them? The USA had the war for this, not like the image. Or don't i understand this?

Peace.

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2023 1:47PM

Nicaragua with Betsy Ross and the moon landing

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know anything about that type but it looks like way more detail on the host coin than normal.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    I don’t know anything about that type but it looks like way more detail on the host coin than normal.

If you’re accustomed to looking at the “normal” Bolivian cobs, yeah, this looks a little funny. But….

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Picked this one up last week.

@scubafuel said:

That indeed is a choice host coin for the type!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:

@MrEureka said:
    Picked this one up last week.

@scubafuel said:

That indeed is a choice host coin for the type!

Royally nice

• Options

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Very nice pickup, I had strongly considered going for it, more than once in fact, but it would have put a serious dent into future coin purchases for me, so I had to refrain.

• Options
    AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2023 6:25PM

@Boosibri said:

what auction was this coin featured in?

appears to be this coin from the Pat Johnson collection but reholdered
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-XUHZG/guatemala-4-reales-1807-ng-m-nueva-guatemala-mint-charles-iv-pcgs-ms-62

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryDragon said:

@Boosibri said:

what auction was this coin featured in?

appears to be this coin from the Pat Johnson collection but reholdered
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-XUHZG/guatemala-4-reales-1807-ng-m-nueva-guatemala-mint-charles-iv-pcgs-ms-62

Came from a Pat Johnson sale, then to CRO, to me

• Options
    AngryDragonAngryDragon Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Came from a Pat Johnson sale, then to CRO, to me

Ah. I was wondering how I had overlooked this coin because it is so nice. Checking back I discovered that I did, indeed, bid on it at the time but it ran up higher than I was willing to go. Congrats to you.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I like this one and got one of the 1957 One peso coins from the Heritage weekly sale about 2 months ago in 67....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2023 5:30AM

I like this Peso too, bought two from a 1967 roll that was just opened by the guy, too bad that I pass by when he did that, to stop it and buy the unopened roll, but was too late.
    It is called "Peso Tepalcate" called like this for the low fineness of 0.1000 and I think Tepalcate means low value or useless something like that.
    There is an album for these:

Added a quick translation of the description above:
    Known as "Common or Tepalcate Peso".
    These started to circulate in 1957, just to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Constitution and for 11 years were minted these pesos. The mintage ended in 1967. They have a diameter of 34.5mm, weight 16.00g and the fineness of 0.100 of silver.
    Observe: National coat with the leyend "Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Un Peso" and the date.
    Reverse: Image of the general Don Jose Maria Morelos y Pavon with the "Mo" mint house.

I think it is cool.

Oh, and I sent one of the 1967 for grading to our hosts.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eluis - do you know how they prepared the planchets so that the surface of the coin showed as though it was high content silver? I had posted speculation before that maybe they blanched them in acid first to make the percentage of silver on the surface higher than the core. Somewhere on the internet there is a picture of someone who had broken or cut one of the coins and the center looks very much like pot metal...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2023 5:14AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Eluis - do you know how they prepared the planchets so that the surface of the coin showed as though it was high content silver? I had posted speculation before that maybe they blanched them in acid first to make the percentage of silver on the surface higher than the core. Somewhere on the internet there is a picture of someone who had broken or cut one of the coins and the center looks very much like pot metal...

Do not know any of the process, I know that the 1957 Peso with Benito Juarez and 500,000 mintage is called also Tepalcate since also have 0.1000 of silver and on these you do not see the same surface (I have one in gem and if I compare both there is a lot of difference) it looks more grey.

Edited to add an image for reference.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't come around this forum much anymore, but when I do, this thread is one of my top destinations. Great stuff guys.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    I don't come around this forum much anymore, but when I do, this thread is one of my top destinations. Great stuff guys.

Dan! I wish you came around a bit more often :) Where are all those chopmarked beauties?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “rock” is actually ore from the mountain in Potosi! It’s a REAL piece of South America.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@OriginalDan said:

Dan! I wish you came around a bit more often :) Where are all those chopmarked beauties?

Ok alright, here's a few to share...

This one shows evidence of silver stealing.

Great coins thanks for sharing!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:

Awesome group 👍

I wonder if with the Real PCGS were not able to determine the overdate year. I've never seen it designated like that before.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

I wonder if with the Real PCGS were not able to determine the overdate year. I've never seen it designated like that before.

Same here, to me it looks like the top of an 8 though perhaps it wasn't conclusive enough for them to call it such.

• Options

Nice. Your coin imaged.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:
    Here's a coin I'm happy to have received yesterday. I think I was lucky to have seen it listed at a fixed price and I didn't hesitate very long before buying it. There is a problem area from where I suspect the coin was removed from a mount but handling it I don't mind as much as I thought I would. It's a really fun coin to hold and examine, and there is a lot to see on the edge. Problem free examples of the type are so rare and expensive that I did not anticipate finding one and I was not even thinking about trying to acquire one. So having one fall into my lap was quite a surprise.

That's a really awesome piece! I love when a coin's history is up for debate, and we don't have all the information. It really adds depth to it. Great look aside from the spot and a high level of detail which I think is important when finding any example can be cost prohibitive.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever seen a counterfeit of this pattern before?
    Obviously meant to fool collectors since it's a pattern and not a circulating coin.
    (It should technically be called a salesman's sample.)

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking pattern!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW